Author Topic: eBay stores changes  (Read 20703 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
eBay stores changes
« on: August 25, 2009, 10:50:46 AM »
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/au/200907141800232.html
***Changes to stores and search on eBay.com.au***     
15 July 2009 | 07:02AM EST

From 10 September 2009 eBay will make a number of changes to stores (including pricing) and search on eBay.com.au.

We’re introducing a number of new pricing packages that will only apply to stores. These price changes are aimed at encouraging larger and growing sellers to list more Buy It Now listings.

In recognition of the ongoing importance that auctions hold on eBay, standard pricing is not changing.

Why?
Whenever eBay make changes the obvious question is why? The short answer in this instance is one word - demand.

The longer answer is about introducing changes to keep up with the rapidly changing e-commerce environment. Today, buyers want quality products at great prices and increasingly, they want them quickly and conveniently. This has been illustrated on eBay by the rapid growth in demand for Buy It Now items over auctions. The changes being introduced are aimed at enabling sellers to better meet this growing buyer demand.

What?
Just as important as understanding why things are changing, is understanding exactly what’s changing and the impact the changes may have on you.

If you use eBay predominately to buy, you should notice an increase in the products available for purchase as well as changes to the way search results are sorted. We’re aiming to make finding exactly what you want on eBay faster and easier.

I have been searching on eBay for a few items and keep coming across stores that are having 'Closing Down' sales. I guess they're closing because of the changes being introduced in September. Seems a lot of the small stores are going to disappear, fewer small sellers equals less variety of items available.

If you use eBay predominately to buy, you should notice an increase in the products available for purchase as well as changes to the way search results are sorted. We’re aiming to make finding exactly what you want on eBay faster and easier.

I am finding the exact opposite - the more eBay changes, the less items I can find to buy on the site, the more I am buying from other online sites.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: eBay stores changes
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 11:20:43 AM »
Today, buyers want quality products at great prices and increasingly, they want them quickly and conveniently. This has been illustrated on eBay by the rapid growth in demand for Buy It Now items over auctions. The changes being introduced are aimed at enabling sellers to better meet this growing buyer demand.

That is such tosh. eBay are trying to DRIVE the buyers to the BIN items by offering incentives all the time to sellers with BIN items and virtually penalising sellers who still want to offer unique and rare items for auction.

That's why the unique and rare auctions are disappearing - almost have disappeared.

That's why eBay is cluttered with pages and pages and pages and pages of cloned items.

That's why auction-lovers are not buying on eBay to anywhere near the extent they used to. That's why the BIN buyers appear more prominent, because blimey, that's all that's on offer! Remove non-BIN buyers from the pool of total buyers, and lo and behold, what is the result? Well, well, well, will you look at that? The percentage of BIN buyers goes up!

"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 07:25:01 PM »

I'm over it ~~ Ebay can Kiss my furry little green butt !..........

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 07:28:29 PM »
Yeah. I rarely use Ebay now (only once recently & it was an auction). I much preferred the "thrill of the chase" with bidding at auctions. 

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 08:41:44 PM »
eBay do not know what I want, and such comments as "Today, buyers want..." from eBay are offensive.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 08:53:46 PM »
Same, amplified PartyLine SWILL.

New day.

What's with this "Surprise Element" in your posts here?

Whinging is futile.

Join the POWER GRIPERS and move away from the platform.

Nice and easy, and make it quick!

Vote with yer feet; boycott with yer wallet.

The Universe can endure without ebay.  And so should you.
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 04:32:51 AM »
Frankly as a buyer I am becoming increasingly over Ebay..
There is almost nothing left to browse for, miminal interesting, useful, decorative and quirky items, more and more B and M style furniture items in the hundreds and ridiculously overpriced listings...

NO I do NOT want to pay an inflated RRP BiN Price.. What I WANT is to bid Auction style on items of interest, from Mum and Dad sellers and small Ebay Stores, the collectors items are vanishing at an alarming rate and when presented with ONE page of items where once there were 20, it makes many buyers very very angry..and many never come back.

I also want to be able to shop by LOCATION and have it show my actual search criteria, NOT some item 100 miles away as the crow flies in a 25km radius search, you say you changed it to protect sellers, are you for real, you get their details when you buy from them..

EBAY if I WANTED cheap flimsy, dangerous, plastic chinese CRAP that is guarenteed to break within a week I would go to the Dollar shop in the mall, if I WANTED to buy a NEW  Vase, Vanity, Front door, Bathroom Tiles, China Cabinet, PC game, Fire Place or anything BLOODY ELSE NEW... at RRP prices I would go to the BLOODY store down the road at my local Super center.

We all know the truth, that ALL changes are designed to FILL your coffers, we all know that your greedy little fingers are grasping at any way possible to increase your profits and to Hell with the sellers and apparently the buyers as well.

EBAY 90% of people are appalled, Buyers and sellers alike and are leaving in droves... do you actually think that when all the Mums and dads are gone that your shiny Chinese CRAP sellers and your greedy money grubbing B and M type sellers are going to buy off each other.... can you be that incredibly stupid....

Stop feeding us Bull shite, stop pretending you care, STOP lying about why you do things... take a look at your own forums, buyers and sellers alike are outraged and voting with their feet... your patronising and self serving ways will be your downfall... maybe not today or this week or this year but it WILL happen.

You think by closing the forums down and segregating everyone it will stop a repeat of the Paypal Fight.. guess again, petitions are in motion, the ACCC will be once again revisited by a HUGE amount of Ebayers....

Of course to you this is so much hot air, it wont matter an iota right? Everyone will settle back into their apathetic ways, right? They will get over it.. right?  Guess again..Go read your own Forums.

Yes Ebay, we are watching.. and eventually we will be pointing and laughing.

BTW Ebay..... your so good right?   Type into google two words... "Ebay IS" and see what the dropdown menu offers...

For those of you that want to "see it now" here is an exact screen shot of what you get typing in those two little words.. try it for yourself...

http://jacob.efinke.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ebayishostility2.jpg
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 05:03:28 PM »
Totally agree with your post Liisa.

Next time don't hold back and tell us what you really think!  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

cueperkins

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 05:24:12 PM »
 :vent: :tanty: :vent: :tanty: :vent: :tanty: :vent: :tanty: :vent:   

I agree..... :yess: but I think you're :deadhorse:

Lights on....nobody home...Ebay is now EBoring.

cueperkins

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 06:22:11 PM »
On a serious note...all these changes have seriously 'disadvantaged' rather than 'inconvenienced' RURAL Australians in particular. 

If you live in a rural or remote area in Australia, you know that availability and choice of goods, along with competitive prices, is fairly poor.  So along comes Ebay selling Rural folk the idea of bridging that gap and buying and selling online.....then they impose all these changes...and the sum outcome is that they have blocked access to rural Aussies, who can't really be bothered with all the stress just to sell and buy collectibles, hard to find parts, vehicle manuals, or whatever else you can't find cheap in rural areas?.....and that's the point isn't it....it's all TOO STRESSFUL these days or am I wrong?  I know that as a buyer I find it nerve racking these days...I use B/deposit...who wouldn't...bit like E-Commerce Russian Roulette.

As  a seller of collectibles and a collector myself I no longer sell on Ebay....re: Paypal compulsory option extortion......I don't post on their forum anymore, and I hardly buy anything because the availability and CHOICE has been curtailed to the extent that it's no different to B&M in rural regions.  We do have $2.00 shops though so cheap Asian Crap is available.....everywhere...lol

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 06:25:03 PM »
yep lol I needed that vent....

Ebay seriously... ugh.

Maybe I should start selling T shirts   :potstir:

Poddy

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 06:33:15 PM »
Lisa

Here is a great idea for T shirts

Some fitting graphic and the wording  

eBay SUX !!!

PayPal is a rip off !!!

Wonder if they could be sold on eBay?? hehehe

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 06:35:49 PM »
It's like building a bridge over a treacherous chasm, inviting everyone to use it for a very reasonable cost. The other (state-built, privately owned, etc.) bridges fall into disrepair or are sold off; prospective bridge plans are discarded; the builders pack up and go off to other jobs. Then, when there's no realistic alternative in existence anymore, and when commuters are accustomed to using the bridge because they no longer have cars which can tackle the fords, and the changing situation has imposed requirements on everyone that means they can hardly avoid HAVING to cross the chasm quite frequently... then, THEN you hit the people with your changes. Massively increased toll; two lanes of the bridge closed so that getting across is agonisingly slow; cars forced to purchase special bridge-suitable tyres because no one's capable of crossing a bridge without them (riiiiight); rerouting forced down commuters' throats; delays, risks, lack of customer care; the bridge is not manned, but an automatic toll system forces you to supply your personal financial details so that it can take your money at its whim - you can't complain if the system gets it wrong, because there is no human around, and if you complain sufficiently by going through the bridge's horrendous complaints system (you'll be stuck in peak-hour traffic for a month to achieve a result), your best hope is to have the overcharged amount OFFSET on your future bridge bills - even though you might have decided never again to travel on the bridge.

All efforts to use another bridge will be stymied. No other bridges can compete because of the lack of upkeep, the stranglehold the BRIDGE has on contractors, the stranglehold it has on road maps (all published by the BRIDGE), and on and on and on...

That is - at least in one sense - what eBay has done to us.

It's made us love eBay, and then it turned into something of a monster. It began by being a dessert, then for many it became their daily bread, but now has turned out to be a bowl full of rotted bitter herbs. Metaphorically speaking, that is.

cueperkins

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 06:39:47 PM »
Yep...what she said....

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 06:39:56 PM »
" Thank you eBay Thank you Shane"  

bobbybigbear

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 07:04:59 PM »
Who will ever forget the protests of mid 2006 over the shop situations then....?

What happened.............?  Nothing.

What is going to happen now.......Nothing..?

Ebay changed the forums forever......Why....?

Yes they were wide open to manipulation, but they found out that they had a life of their own, but mostly they found out that their stated participation rate of less than 3% was all BS, and that they formed a formidable group, who knew how to get the issue well beyond the boards. Even their paid assassins on the boards couldn't do much, so what does ebay do....?

Change the forums, wait, then deliver the coupe de grace to Mum & Dad sellers.

JMO

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 10:05:22 PM »
My brother rang me tonight fuming...he now hates the new improved? Ebay...

The guy's at work know I was an Ebay stalwart and four of them said they hate the new improved? Ebay...

A couple of shop owners at the local shopping street said to me the Ebay lay out is crap and they hate the improved? Ebay...

Which begs me to ask...where the helll did they get the idea that "Today, buyers want..." who? did the surveys go to ?...Donahue's family members ?...

I afraid the babies been thrown out with the bath water........ it's to late Ebay...you have a terminal disease which you gave yourself.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 11:23:05 PM »

It's not hard....look at the pic closely....

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 12:28:56 AM »
It's pretty obvious that "what the customers want" translates to.. "what we here at Ebay want to pad profits and stock options" never before has there been seen such a slow motion train wreck in progress the likes of the current day Ebay business model.

They are not interested one iota in what the customers want..they know they are on the road to disaster in one form or another.. they know, but like all smart if somewhat unethical corporate bosses, they realise there is time yet to make a fast buck before "retirement" or their next posting...Wealthy Rats escaping a drowning ship would be a good long term analogy.

I pity the shareholders who have been baffled by the Bullshit of these corporate rogues..

As I have said before all they want is to provide an AmazonEsq platform for B and M type strip mall shopping.. whilst raking in the fees, the sad reality is.. many of Ebay's customers do NOT want that sort of module.

Yes there will be the stoic Ebay Shop owners who will cling on in the hope that sales will improve, and yes there are those that lie to themselves that they will survive longterm, God bless them if they do, however it sadly, seems highly unlikely.

Ultimately by doing away with their bread and butter in place of the mass Produced garbage they are alienating a vast VAST majority of buyers...

Mr Donahue, here is what your Members are saying, not just on AU but world wide...
http://forums.ebay.com.au/forum/Big-News-Changes/600000011
So tell me, WHO did you really ask that loved these changes?

Finally I ask you this Mr Donahue... when all the buyers have long gone, and your Shiny new mass Produced Sellers have fled due to failing sales.. what will you do...whatever will you do..Mexico looks nice this time of year..

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 01:13:11 AM »

Hahahaha..and this thread was just asking what everyone thought about the store changes...all's that's missing is the firing squad and the linch mob..... hate to see what a ""What do you hate about ebay"" thread would look like!...LOLOLOLOL

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 01:27:00 AM »
LOL true that Yibby....don't think there is enough time in the world to state what people hate about Ebay :drama:   

I'm fascinated also that the ACCC word is being frequently bandied about on the link I provided, but no slaps..ALSO, it was stated by a pink that should the changes prove vastly unpopular they "may" be revised..

Buahahaahahaahahahahaahaahahaaaaaaaa.......:titanic:

Idiots!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 10:14:59 AM »
I continue to try to enjoy eBay. I'm hampered in that, not by myself, but by eBay.

eBay executives continue to make frustrating changes that materially affect important aspects for buyers and sellers on eBay - and that doesn't help us OR eBay.

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 06:46:13 PM »
I continue to try to enjoy eBay. I'm hampered in that, not by myself, but by eBay.

eBay executives continue to make frustrating changes that materially affect important aspects for buyers and sellers on eBay - and that doesn't help us OR eBay.

I agree, I too would LOVE to once again enjoy Ebay, it used to be so much fun...alas..

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 09:45:48 PM »
I agree  eBay is not the fun it once was ---and it is sad.

There is one small difference I have a query about with regards to the new look page.

I have noticed that the new look listing now shows a definite push to have buyers use Paypal. Fine.

However, if the sellers state other payment methods, and have bank deposit as one of them, the words Bank Deposit are not highlighted and not as visible in some listings. And I notice that some sellers are also offering Bank Deposit Express and that is highlighted.

I clicked on the Bank Deposit Express and was taken to an eBay page which contained an explanation of this payment method. Stating that the seller's banking details would be available etc..

I thought eBay removed the Express option from Bank Deposit if the seller offered that as a payment method to buyers. Has it been reinstated?

Does this mean that unless a seller actually states BD Express,  that the banking details may not be visible during checkout, even if Bank Deposit is offered ?

Apologies wheels. I am not on topic. :deadhorse: :chair:
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 12:19:28 AM »
I agree  eBay is not the fun it once was ---and it is sad.

There is one small difference I have a query about with regards to the new look page.

I have noticed that the new look listing now shows a definite push to have buyers use Paypal. Fine.

However, if the sellers state other payment methods, and have bank deposit as one of them, the words Bank Deposit are not highlighted and not as visible in some listings. And I notice that some sellers are also offering Bank Deposit Express and that is highlighted.

I clicked on the Bank Deposit Express and was taken to an eBay page which contained an explanation of this payment method. Stating that the seller's banking details would be available etc..

I thought eBay removed the Express option from Bank Deposit if the seller offered that as a payment method to buyers. Has it been reinstated?

Does this mean that unless a seller actually states BD Express,  that the banking details may not be visible during checkout, even if Bank Deposit is offered ?

Apologies wheels. I am not on topic. :deadhorse: :chair:

I was wondering the same thing centuries, perhaps someone can enlighten us?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 12:22:58 AM »
I'm sorry I cant enlighten you but I can enlighten myself if that helps

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 01:28:33 AM »
Thanks smee.  :console: :rofl:
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 01:38:23 AM »
It could cause a few problems I think liisa.

I probably should have begun a new thread for this. It is a different topic. :blush:

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 10:34:44 AM »
Centuries and Liisa,

Just had a quick look in help.

;D  ;D

On the Creating effective listings page, under
Selecting payment methods
Buyers want a fast, easy, and secure way to pay. Check out the different ways you can get paid.
http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/accepted-payment-methods.html
Offering PayPal as a Payment Method
Except for some excluded categories, all sellers on eBay.com.au are required to offer PayPal as a payment method on their listings. PayPal is the fast, easy, and secure way to pay on eBay. etc ....

No mention of being able to offer any other payment method!

:roflmao:  :roflmao:

I think the difference is, if a seller selects Bank Deposit Express as an option, the bank account details appear in checkout. If it is not selected, the seller needs to send bank details to the buyer via email.

seller
http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/bankpay.html
buyer
http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/bankpay.html

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 04:31:36 PM »
Thankyou wheels. ;D

I had read all the above and thought it must be old eBay advice still left in Help.  I thought I  recalled that the Express was no longer available and sellers could only state Bank Deposit as one of the acceptable payment methods. Then , depending on what they ticked..I think...banking details would be visible or the buyer had to email the seller. The sellers were able to include their details on an invoice and/or in listings and email the information to the buyer.

eBay must have brought back the Express option. If that is the case I hope sellers can see their bank details will, apparently, not be visible now if they do not state the Express option.

Apparently many buyers just go straight through checkout and do not wait for invoices.

You can see I am not a seller!! ;D    

I think I will have a coffee... Had to modify this epistle twice!!

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 10:38:15 PM »
I was checking out some battery chargers on ebay and then went to the sellers web site to compare the prices...$15 dollars cheaper and postage was half.... why bother trying to sell on ebay when you have to factor in the extra charges?....people arn't stupid.... I'm buying off his site....

And another thing where on the new pages is the "" add to favorite sellers "" .....????????????...gone?

With the new pages they may as well call it chinesebey....spot the aussie seller !.... Snap !

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2009, 11:31:33 PM »

Stay tuned for this.....another twist of the knife...

As previously communicated, selected fees associated with Stores on eBay.com.au will be changing from 10 September 2009.

The changes include insertion fees, final value fees, subscription fees and some feature fees for store subscribers.

All other fees on eBay.com.au remain unchanged.

Please take the time to review the revised Store package fees. The fee changes will be effective from 00:00:01am (AEST) on 10 September 2009.

If you currently have a Store there are a few things you need to consider when these changes come into effect.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2009, 03:30:41 PM »
If you currently have a Store there are a few things you need to consider when these changes come into effect.

Yeah, like considering getting the hell out while you still can!!!!!!!!  :o

cueperkins

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2009, 03:43:25 PM »
Took the words right out of my mouth Tello....lol. 

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2009, 04:44:26 PM »
What's bigger:

A) words

2) yer mouth

??????????????

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 04:53:29 PM »
Yib, the 'add to favourite sellers' button is on the sellers My World page.

cueperkins

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 05:01:21 PM »
Tello.....Well if you wanna talk about size....???....

Bloody Smart Alec !!!

cueperkins

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 05:03:09 PM »
Hey Tello.......

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2009, 05:35:28 PM »
 :blah:

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 06:08:38 PM »
Tello, how about you shout us all a nice round of something? To celebrate your presence here?

Now all we need to do is find a pub or wine bar within reach of ALL the board members...

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2009, 07:03:22 PM »
Yib, the 'add to favourite sellers' button is on the sellers My World page.

Thanks wheels....ebay should send all members an instruction booklet about all the crapp changes they make !!.....

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2009, 07:39:44 PM »
ebay's crappy changes are not as dreadful as Yib's crappy posting ID changes.

:marvin: :snipe:

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2009, 09:31:29 PM »
ebay's crappy changes are not as dreadful as Yib's crappy posting ID changes.

:marvin: :snipe:

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2009, 10:05:10 AM »
Said what I meant.
Meant what I said.
 :neener:

holydooly

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2009, 06:08:38 PM »
How many more ways are eBay going to invent in their efforts to increase their revenue. I have received an email urging me to drive buyers to my site and they will actually give me a $50.00 credit for three months against my eBay monthly invoice. Sounds good? Try to find out how much the remainder will cost you! I also received a survey about PayPal and one of the questions was something like would you use it more or less etc........there was no provision for the fact that I really had no choice if I wanted to sell. I stopped the survey and emailed the 'boss' explaining why I didn't complete the survey. Dead silence.........why am I not surprised?

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2009, 09:04:32 PM »
Here we go again !!!

***Category structure improvements***     

02 September 2009 | 01:46PM EST

During the week commencing 20 September, eBay will be making some improvements to the category structure on eBay.com.au to be more aligned with eBay.com and eBay.com.uk. These changes will help buyers, no matter where they are in the world, effectively find Aussie items available to be posted worldwide.

Most of the improvements will not require sellers to take any action, but it is recommended that you check your listings to ensure they are still being listed in the appropriate categories.

As well as updating these categories, eBay.com.au will also be introducing a new category for franchises. You can read the accompanying franchise policy here.