Author Topic: ebay to remove about me pages  (Read 17718 times)

col52

ebay to remove about me pages
« on: July 05, 2009, 07:43:57 PM »
An ebay pink has confirmed that ebay will be ending use of the "about me" pages "as everyone now has a Myworld page".
Timing isn't known yet but we will apparently be given "plenty of notice".

You can bet your bottom dollar it's to get rid of external links, rather than anything else!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: ebay to remove about me pages
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 07:55:22 PM »
Col, do you have a link stating that links cannot be included in a My World page? (I'm not questioning it - it's just that I haven't found a link myself.)
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

col52

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 09:41:17 PM »
I have questioned that myself (to Allan), Countess. I can't find anything that says we are not allowed to...........and if there isn't anything saying we can't, you can guess what I'll do!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 10:30:37 PM »
You will be the test case, the vanguard, the one who braves the wrath of eBay if it turns out that, tucked away in a corner somewhere, this is a rule which says, "No links or you shall be spanked"?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 05:52:31 PM »
Battle Stations! Circle the Wagons!

And serve Tea & Biscuits...

eBay is merely going off in true form in self destruction mode again.

Do not panic.
There's nothing to see here.
Move along folks.....

"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

col52

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 07:13:55 PM »
You will be the test case, the vanguard, the one who braves the wrath of eBay if it turns out that, tucked away in a corner somewhere, this is a rule which says, "No links or you shall be spanked"?

;D I shall brave it.........Star Trek - The Wrath of ebay, LOL

col52

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 12:54:07 PM »
NEWSFLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
allanoz@ebay.com
8/07/2009 08:16

Hi Everyone,

It is permitted on your "My World" page to have a link to your own web site. The rules are basically the same as those for the "About Me" page.

You are allowed to post a link but you have to be careful not to promote the link. In other words, you can say "Favourite link" then have the link listed but you can't say "See my website for great deals.." or similar.

Cheers,

Allan

The eBay team

col52

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 12:55:29 PM »
Only trouble is, you cannot create a clickable link as html is not allowed on Myworld! So it's not exactly the same "rules" as the "me" page.

cueperkins

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 01:00:22 PM »
Only trouble is, you cannot create a clickable link as html is not allowed on Myworld! So it's not exactly the same "rules" as the "me" page.

Hi Col.....for all us Hobbits....that means what?

col52

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 06:29:45 PM »
Hello cupie, what it means is that on the "me" page, you can have a clickable link (one you just need to click to get to that particular website. As there's no html (tags in computer language) on the Myworld pages, you only get a normal type link that needs to be copied and pasted into the address bar on the browser and click "go" (on internet explorer) to visit the site. Some wouldn't know to do that and some wouldn't be even bothered to do it..............and ebay knows that!

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 08:15:42 PM »
.............and ebay knows that!

Those dastardly, insufferable buggars!
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 09:20:30 PM »
Every Mr Hyde has a Dr Jekyll...

cueperkins

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 11:12:36 AM »
Thanks Col...So....while posting unwanted (html links are they?) on your (paid) listings  directing traffic to external websites.....Ebay make it incredibly hard for actual Ebay traders to have a similar direct link to their own websites?....mmmmmhhhhh.....interesting double standard.  

I don't think however that Ebay can prevent traders from having a link to their websites under TPA...Perhaps this is why you can't find a rule against it Col.....It Could be considered blatantly 'Anti Competitive' ....but sshhhh!!!  don't mention ACCC.....blood pressures will rise .....lmao.  

More than likely this is why they are making it 'Harder' rather than blatantly banning the practice.   Ebay do like the grey areas of just barely complying.   But just clarify for me...these links they put on your listings....are they direct clickable links?  If so, then it's fairly selective use of same isn't it?  

RiffRaff

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 08:01:38 PM »
Perhaps this is why you can't find a rule against it Col

Cupie, the guidelines for external links on Me pages (and according to Allans quote, MyWorld pages) can be seen here:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/listing-aboutme.html

From 'Additional information':

Links from your About Me Page

You may link to your own Web store or Web site. However, you may not directly offer any non-eBay merchandise on the About Me page itself.

eBay does not permit its users to place the following types of links on your About Me pages:

Links that directly offer any non-eBay listing or merchandise on the About Me page itself.

Links to other online trading sites or pages, including auctions and fixed-price formats.

Links to sites offering the same merchandise for the same or lower price (including the Buy It Now price).

Links to sites offering merchandise or information not permitted on eBay

On your About Me page, you may link to your own Web site or individual Internet store where you are offering to trade, sell or purchase your goods or services. However, you may not link to any page within online trading sites that offer goods from multiple sellers either in a fixed price or auction format.

mmmmmhhhhh.....interesting double standard

I don't see where the double standard comes in to play?

Why would a website that offers advertising space to members for a fee, offer free advertising for that members website and lose the FVF they would normally collect? That would be very poor business practice.

col52

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 10:35:27 AM »
Thanks Col...So....while posting unwanted (html links are they?) on your (paid) listings  directing traffic to external websites.....Ebay make it incredibly hard for actual Ebay traders to have a similar direct link to their own websites?....mmmmmhhhhh.....interesting double standard.  

Ebay do like the grey areas of just barely complying.   But just clarify for me...these links they put on your listings....are they direct clickable links?  If so, then it's fairly selective use of same isn't it?  

Of course, we are talking about ebay, LOL
They make up and alter the rules constantly.

col52

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 10:41:12 AM »

Why would a website that offers advertising space to members for a fee, offer free advertising for that members website and lose the FVF they would normally collect? That would be very poor business practice.

I get what you mean riff but the problem I have with ebay is when they offer something, or allow you to do something (as written in their own rules/policies), they then try to double backflip when you actually take them up on what they offer!

If they originally did not want links allowed, why say it's ok to do so?
Why are rules bent for some members (especially the new larger traders they've brought in who have instant powerseller status and can basically do what they want - including links on listing pages?)

Another interesting point has now been brought up on the PS board. Apparently you are allowed to have your URL on the avatar now!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 10:43:16 AM »
No one seems to have found a page so far that is specifically about "My World" pages which eBay are apparently considering will function as the replacement for the "About Me" pages.

From what Col has said, that the rules for the My World pages are "basically the same" as for the About Me pages has recently been posted by Allan somewhere on the AU eBay pages (which some of us can't use for health reasons). It hasn't been disseminated as an announcement by email, and there's no new guideline page as yet. That means the majority of eBay users don't know about either the replacement of My World for About Me, or that Allan says the guidelines are roughly the same. (Most people trying to find what the rules are for the My World pages would not be looking on the page that addresses About Me pages.)

From what's been said, they're clearly not ABSOLUTELY the same, since as Col says, "you cannot create a clickable link as html is not allowed on Myworld". And that's the inequity Cupie was addressing, from what I can see. Sellers appear no longer to be able to insert a clickable link to a page which shows off further information about their goods. You're able to "link to your own Web site or individual Internet store where you are offering to trade, sell or purchase your goods or services. However, you may not link to any page within online trading sites that offer goods from multiple sellers either in a fixed price or auction format." - That you can link to your own website or online store is fine... but the link is not clickable. It's just text. For someone to visit your site, they need either to copy the address or type the address into the address bar.

Col points out that some internet users won't bother doing that, and won't know how to do that. I can readily imagine that some users will try clicking onto the text repeatedly, find it does nothing (because it's not a link, just text), think that "Blast, the link is broken", and shrug and move away.

Cupie points out that the advertisements appearing on your eBay listings (disrupting search results, intruding onto the effectiveness of sellers' listings, etc.) are unwanted by you (the person paying for advertising on a page) and are also clickable. That means a buyer only has to accidentally click onto one of those links to be moved away from eBay (from those search results where your listing appears prominently because of your well-chosen heading, or from the actual listing page, the information of which you have designed with care and for which you are paying).

At the very least, it would seem fair to enable the links on the About Me page to be functional.

I haven't experimented with this, as I'm not a seller on eBay, and as I am not interested in promoting my
"favourite sites" as a buyer or an individual, so I may be talking utter tosh here. I will try it out to confirm that the links aren't clickable on the About Me page, and secondly to see whether there's a way to make it clickable.

col52

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 10:52:31 AM »
Very valid points Countess.

I'd just clarify that you meant to say "I will try it out to confirm that the links aren't clickable on the About Me Myworld page, and secondly to see whether there's a way to make it clickable."

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
Whoops! Yes, that's what I meant, Col. Thanks for picking up on that.

col52

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 01:29:38 PM »
LOL, that's ok Countess. I knew what you meant - just didn't want others (who are not sure about the situation) confused.

RiffRaff

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 05:21:30 PM »
Hi Col. The rules are very clear about what links can and can't be added to listings, Me pages & apparently My World. I think that eBay have tolerated direct links to off-eBay sites because they don't have the man-power to police the rules. If someone reports a link then obviously eBay have to be seen to act or show some leniency with a warning. If sellers choose to flaut the rules, they can't really complain just because someone else got away with it. I compare it to road rules. When we get caught doing the wrong thing on the road we object because everyone does it or we cop it on the chin.

RiffRaff

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 05:28:44 PM »
Cupie points out that the advertisements appearing on your eBay listings (disrupting search results, intruding onto the effectiveness of sellers' listings, etc.) are unwanted by you (the person paying for advertising on a page) and are also clickable. That means a buyer only has to accidentally click onto one of those links to be moved away from eBay (from those search results where your listing appears prominently because of your well-chosen heading, or from the actual listing page, the information of which you have designed with care and for which you are paying).

Countessa. Could you be more specific here? Are you refering to the Foxtel or other sponsored links on item listings?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 09:35:58 PM »
I am referring to any link at all that interrupts my experience as an eBay buyer while I wish simply to search on eBay for an item sold on eBay, or look at a listing on eBay. Anything that seduces me away from eBay (either knowingly or innocently) so that I am no longer looking at your listing, for instance...

I acknowledge eBay's right to put links there. I don't think it's considerate towards either buyers or sellers, but of course that's not eBay's primary concern, and they don't need to consult me about what I think fair or considerate.

I acknowledge eBay's right to forbid html in a seller's My World page, thus making it impossible for sellers to include clickable links to their website. Again, I don't think it's particularly considerate, and I think it's a weird decision seeing that eBay DO permit links to a seller's website. Ah well.

RiffRaff

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 10:00:03 PM »
I look at it as a shopping experience. It's like walking into a Westfield shopping centre to buy groceries and being approached by the guy selling Granite Kitchen benchtops. If you need new benchtops, buying them won't stop you buying your groceries. If you don't need new benchtops, you ignore him.

The benchtop seller paid Westfield so that he could advertise his product, the same as Coles do.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 10:14:55 PM »
That's certainly one way to look at it. I do have a bit of a different perspective, purely as a buyer.

I look at it more like walking into a shop in a ... well, let's call it a Westfield shopping centre. I start by looking at the You Are Here shop locater (one of those panels), and keep getting diverted to shops offering things I don't want, and to a health spa an hour away, and a meditation centre to which I don't want to go, and a video library I'm not interested in knowing about (and which is in a suburb far away from me). In exasperation, I might repeatedly try to get the results I want... and I may finally get the information I need.

I find the shop - let's say I'm looking for a shop that sells incredibly slinky nighties. I walk in, my eye particularly drawn to one very nice silk number. As I head towards it to get a better look, I'm accosted by someone from a different lingerie shop promising me better bargains if I go along to her shop. A grocer juggles some honeydew melons in front of me, assuring me that I'd be better off spending my money on a huge purchase of fruit rather than frittering it away on a long red silk nightgown.

Even after I've got the nightgown I want in my hand and I walk towards the counter to make my purchase, signs are shoved in front of my face, trying to entice me elsewhere.

imperfect

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2009, 10:40:38 PM »
This is the way of our free world, advertising makes it turn...it wont change, it's all about consumerism, free trade, choice and capitalism, everything we love in the Western World. We asked for it…we got it ?

We all have melon jugglers in our faces every day, where ever and as often as they can be, every free space on the planet is potential advertising space…they even stick it in places we didn’t even know we had places.

I'm more pissed that pay TV has ads.

RiffRaff

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 10:42:08 PM »
And yet.....amazingly......people still buy items through eBay  :o

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
They do, but... less people are buying than might be buying. From my point of view as a buyer, I'm put off by eBay's tactics. When it's harder to search for an item, I'm less inclined to buy on eBay. And the range of things I want to buy on eBay has shrunk.

This is only my point of view, explaining how eBay's advertising has affected my eBay experience. I'm happy for you if you as a buyer or seller don't mind at all.

col52

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2009, 05:51:52 PM »
Hi Col. The rules are very clear about what links can and can't be added to listings, Me pages & apparently My World. I think that eBay have tolerated direct links to off-eBay sites because they don't have the man-power to police the rules. If someone reports a link then obviously eBay have to be seen to act or show some leniency with a warning. If sellers choose to flaut the rules, they can't really complain just because someone else got away with it. I compare it to road rules. When we get caught doing the wrong thing on the road we object because everyone does it or we cop it on the chin.

Hello Riff, yes the rules are there. Yet ebay tried their best to get me to remove my link on the about me page last year stating it wasn't allowed! It took some time and Fair Trading intervention for them to admit that it was allowed. I have a good idea who it was who started it all off as I disagreed with what they sold on ebay.

As for tolerating off site links, especially for these new "superpowersellers". I do know there are people who have reported the said listings (I don't care to myself) yet ebay have allowed them to remain even after being notified. It was brought up with Allan (from ebay) on the PS board last week by one member saying "if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for all". Allan did not explain about the "superpowersellers" being allowed but just said "I cannot give you permission to have your link on listings".

There are definately rules for some and different rules for others on ebay. That has been seen even on the ebay forums.

cueperkins

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2009, 06:27:29 PM »
Thanks Col....explains things nicely.....I still believe that Ebay would not be allowed to ban links to a sellers website as you pointed out in your own experience...chiefly because they allow others to put these links on their site and sellers listings for a fee...in essence, it's like sub letting, without the original lessee agreeing..... Would you purchase a billboard and stand for the billboard provider putting little mini adds on your billboard without warning or permission they would probably argue that those links are 'sponsored'...but then aren't the listings also sponsored by the seller?  Or at least 'rented'?

And.....Ebay brought this, (and many other changes in) and imposed it upon sellers, (Like they do with most things) without negotiation, without consultation.....they simply changed the 'Contract' and all sellers just had to cop it.....That's the very essence of a dominant contract and misuse of market power.....but I guess until a really serious seller decides to take Ebay on in a 'Legal' Arena in Australia.....they'll continue to ignore Fair Trade Practices, monopolise the online auction industry, and refuse any suggestions of a Fair Contract that allows sellers some level of negotiation power.  That's an even playing field...not this. (See TPA for further details)

JMO....we've all got one.