Author Topic: New eBay and Aus Post satchels  (Read 29765 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
New eBay and Aus Post satchels
« on: December 06, 2010, 02:33:12 PM »
06 December 2010 | 09:50AM EST

Following feedback from sellers that the complexity involved with shipping and the lack of tracked options at an affordable price were particular pain points, eBay has teamed up with Australia Post to offer an exclusive deal especially for eBay members.

From today (6 December 2010), you will be able to order 500g and 3kg satchels and access exclusive flat rate postage pricing online. The satchels can be ordered via http://auspost.ebay.com.au/. Delivery is free and the satchels will arrive within three to five working days following despatch.

Each eBay member is entitled to ten 500g satchels and ten 3kg satchels per week. A limit of 100 satchels of each size applies per member until 30 April 2011.

this effectively gives you the required trackable post to satisfy paypal without having to pay for registered if you use these satchels correctly also if you want it signed for it only costs $1 extra on the postage charge

What a great idea!

I'd noticed a new field had been added when I was Click and Sending some parcels on the weekend.
I wonder if they will stay the same price after the trial period is complete.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Re: New eBay and Aus Post satchels
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 02:39:03 PM »
I would think so Wheels , yes ... they need to be competative with the pre-paids and offer tracking or else it defeats the purpose ..... I cant believe its taken eBay so long to negotiate such a deal with AP .... I was calling for such a thing 2 years ago ...if you recall the thread on the old eBay RT boards about Smeebay & payriff in fact I cant beleiev eBay hasnt started its own or bought out a worldwide freight company ....they have a ready made client base of millions  ...and they could franchise off the delivery/ pick up zones or have subcontract owner drivers  

anyway this is certainly a step in the right direction

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 02:40:39 PM »
Now what's going on here?
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 02:52:02 PM »
Dear eBay Member,

Due to unprecedented demand, the Flat Rate Satchel has temporarily sold out. Please stay tuned for news on availability of future supplies.

Thank you for your interest.

Gosh, they didn't last long!   :lol: :lol:

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 02:54:11 PM »
no they didnt .....just goes to show that sellers have been crying out for a product like this

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 02:54:17 PM »
It seems a lot of sellers haven't even tried Click and Send yet. I imagine the site will be in meltdown with sellers trying to Register.

These satchels should reduce the number of fraudulent claims of INR.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 02:55:31 PM »

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 02:55:58 PM »
Oh, and I did get an order in. Must have been just in time! I checked my eBay messages from work this morning and thought I might as well get some even though I still have a few of the Regular satchels.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 02:58:38 PM »
It seems a lot of sellers haven't even tried Click and Send yet. I imagine the site will be in meltdown with sellers trying to Register.

These satchels should reduce the number of fraudulent claims of INR.
Oh, and I did get an order in. Must have been just in time! I checked my eBay messages from work this morning and thought I might as well get some even though I still have a few of the Regular satchels.

yes it should and yes so did I

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 02:59:13 PM »
A similar satchel system has been in place on Oztion for the past couple of months, using Temando and Australian Air Express, offering cheaper than Aus Post rates.

I'd like to see a 1kg satchel.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 03:01:51 PM »
I had noticed that on Oztion , but never really looked into it to see what it was all about

10 satchels on Oztion would last about a year or more for most sellers

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
 :lol:

A proof of shipment email can be sent from Click and Send showing the addressee details and the article number. Details for proof of shipment can be found on the Safety Advice page of PayPal's website by clicking on "Selling Safely" and locating "How We Help Protect Sellers".

Sellers must be able to provide proof of shipment that can be validated by Australia Post in order to be eligible for PayPal seller protection. Proof of shipment for the satchel dropped in Australia Post street posting boxes only applies where Australia Post can provide validation of delivery.

So what does this mean? Proof of shipment only where Aus Post can provide validation of delivery .... Aus Post distribution centres and posties will need to improve their scanning procedures to ensure all parcels are scanned and tracking updated. We know that even Reg Post articles get lost in the system - our iPhone is probably still 'Onboard with Driver'

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 03:18:13 PM »
yes , you are right Wheels ,if you want to be safe , I wouldnt be red boxing them , either pack and send or post over the counter and get receipt is the best way to go ,  but any tracking/scanning system is only as good as the input it is given by humans

same thing at retail shops ...how many times does the incorrect price come up (especially on items that are supposed to be on special) when scanning barcodes because of human error/laziness or down right cheating ?  

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 04:02:14 PM »
^^^^click and send not pack and send ^^^^

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 04:08:42 PM »
I've just looked at the eBay boreds. Why are so many sellers not happy about the new satchels? Too afraid to change the way they've been doing something for many years?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 04:21:09 PM »
I see there is already some "glass is half empty"  people sprouting some nonsensical negatives around the traps

if they arent happy they dont have to use them ...its not compulsary !!! and there are also some clowns blaming eBay for running out stock ....ummmmmmmm its not an ebay problem its an Aust Post problem , they determine the numbers of their products not ebay

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 04:33:50 PM »
my post mistress showed me the memo they got about them some weeks ago

it's a pity Australia Post can't do some sort of similar deal on postage but without having to buy those dreadful plastic bags

I insist on sending my items in a padded bag for protection ... I use recycled macerated paper ones from Jiffy ... much much cheaper then aus post bubble wrap ones when you buy them by the carton

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 04:47:41 PM »
Tags , its a little bit harder for them to do it on other parcels , as with these satchels they are special satchels which can only be odered through your ebay account ....how would they know that a normal parcel over the counter was an ebay one if they didnt have special packaging , so unlesss later down the track they bring out special padded bags and special post paks etc for ebay sellers that need to be bought through you ebay account ,  it would be difficult to police that they were only offering the deal to ebay sellers

I guess they could issue you with an eBay sellers membership card that you had to scan  at PO to get discount but then everyone would open an ebay account just to get post discount and never use the ebay a/c ?  hmmmmm I am sure they will work on the possible logistics of it all if the satchel idea is a success  

Hey Tags Im looking for a novel gift to buy someone for Christmas , are you still doing those wallets that double as ant farms ?  :roflmao: :roflmao:

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 05:06:52 PM »
bnwt, we use cheap padded bags inside the satchels. We've found ones that fit neatly inside the 500g and 3kg satchels so the items have added protection during shipping.

I don't see why they couldn't extend the range of packaging options. In the US they have standard priced boxes that are issued free by the PO. They're useful because I can ask a supplier how many of an item fits in a $45 box and I can work out orders knowing shipping costs in advance.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 05:11:05 PM »
yep , there must be ways ...but I guess they need to  learn to walk before they try and run

golden

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 08:47:59 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again.............   Ebay collapsed because every seller said, "I'm gunna have nothing to do with paypal"!!!~ blardy Yanks etc... Yet now we sit here and watch people saying bring back paypal, or lets try paymate, it was putrid even trying to explain to some seller "I like paying with paypal" cos I get protection, its immediate, quick, reliable and if I don't know you I wont trust you, so paypal or nothing...  Have a look at oztion...   their coin forum had an entry in April???  FFS how could it possibly be viable? 

Coin collecting looked like a viable option to buy and sell some coins.  Like buy 3 St McKillops fr $12.95 sell 2 for $80.00 as an eg. and if you are smart, lets collect for free.  Like any good lurk, idiots come along and stuff it up!!  I think I've got more in coins/notes than Tello has in drums, yet I'm going to have to take my stuff to the scrap yard and get $9 a kg.  Thats probably the best I can hope for. 

I think I've got some magnificent stuff, check through my feedback!  Golden city coins on ebay or O.  All bought through some amazing dealers I never knew till internet.  Some great friends have been made.           

I've lost all confidence in the system/fakers etc..  I'm not prepared to spend another cent till Moon comes back on line..  I also want to ask him can I write in my will I want my collection sold and $$$ given to my kids? How much is consignment? 15% 20%??

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 09:07:08 PM »

I think I've got more in coins/notes than Tello has in drums,

JEEZIZ H !!!

You must be broke, too.

golden

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 09:24:14 PM »
NO BOUT A DOUBT IT!!

How do you buy a ENTRY to the track?    No good racing alone!

Want ta swap wives/houses/pubs/cars/lives for a couple of months??  :please:

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 09:51:14 PM »
"How do you buy a ENTRY to the track? "

Get a Sponsor.

[attachment deleted by admin]

golden

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 10:01:14 PM »
 ;D

golden

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2010, 10:02:59 PM »
 ;D

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
here's a nifty idea

ebay could provide a postage label that could be printed with a bar code for each sale

when you go to send your sales the post office scans the bar code and you get the discount and it can be used as a tracking number

after all Australia Post have said that eBay sellers are saving their bacon

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2010, 10:55:50 PM »
Great idea bnwt.  :idea:

And it's already set-up - Click and Send!!

Except for the discount bit that is. 

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 07:05:20 AM »
I'd gladly use Click & Send

only

they wont do it for parcels 250g and under ( 95% of my parcels)

and

the australia post system wont work on a mac

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 09:08:02 AM »
bnwt, when I have a parcel that is less than 250g I just enter the weight in Click and Send as 251g. The PO weighs the parcel during processing so it still comes up as $4.55 plus $1.50 for tracking. Can't help you with the mac. I know better than to try and convince mac users otherwise.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2010, 10:01:03 AM »
Has anyone received their eBay Aus Post satchels yet? I received the email the other day to say they'd been shipped and I'm hoping they arrive today as I've just opened our last pack of 3kg satchels.

This is the Help page for anyone interested in using the new satchels.

http://auspost.ebay.com.au/pdfs/Click_and_Send_Step_by_Step_Guide_Dec.pdf

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2010, 10:16:11 AM »
I got an email either yesterday or the day before saying they had been dispatched , but I got mine sent to the po box , so not sure if they are sitting there this morning or not

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2010, 11:25:23 AM »
Well get out & check your PO box Smee. Don't just sit on your butt eating Pluto Pups & drinking Pepsi Max, that's my job!

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2010, 11:44:49 AM »
no way Birdie , its in the big smoke and Oprah will be in there today ... I want to be as far away from that load of pus as possible ...

also I have a secretary for doing the mail run

for those that are ineterested here is what the satchels look like

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2010, 11:46:54 AM »
Smee, the postie's just been and delivered the satchels so your parcel is probably at your PO Box.

They're a bit weird - the sleeve to put the printed label from Click and Send in is on the 'back' of the satchel. I can just print the address labels on plain paper now, won't need to use sticky labels anymore.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2010, 12:01:27 PM »
I've just done our first 3kg satchels by Click and Send. $9.35 for 3kg satchels incl tracking.

Or $1 extra if you want signature on delivery.

I'm impressed!!

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2010, 12:12:31 PM »
all sounds good Wheels ...I wonder if they will start charging a small fee for the actual satchel after the trial period ?
anyway I think even if they did , it will still work out better than paying for pre paid satchels and registered stickers up front

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2010, 12:19:08 PM »
I agree Smee, I think that's what may happen after the 'trial' period. I don't understand what all the whingers are complaining about on the eBay boards, even on the PS board. It is such a simple process now, a couple of clicks, print and put the label into the plastic sleeve (I did have to trim the paper to fit though).

I'll keep using them, even if the price goes up.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2010, 12:21:24 PM »
I don't think they'll charge for the actual satchel because it says on it "This is not a prepaid satchel". But there is nothing printed on it to say what the Flat Rate is so that would be easy for them to change.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2010, 12:30:04 PM »
I don't think they'll charge for the actual satchel because it says on it "This is not a prepaid satchel". But there is nothing printed on it to say what the Flat Rate is so that would be easy for them to change.

yes but I take that to mean its not pre=paid for postage , nothing to stop them charging a small cost for the satchel same as they do for say a padded bag ...thats not a pre-paid service either but you pay a small cost for the bag ...

anyhow , time will tell and if its working for you , then its a good thing

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2010, 04:52:03 PM »
Has anyone had any concerns about these new satchels brandishing the name "ebay" on them?

Ordinary satchels could contain anything from new DVDs to used singlets - but something with 'ebay' on it might indicate 'this package contains something someone paid real money for just recently'.

I would think they might attract attention from the less than honest in our world as being a 'better bet' for scoring something worthwhile.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2010, 04:59:37 PM »
I dont foresee any more problems than a normal satchel , at least these have a tracking barcode so the parcel contractors wont be so tempted to pilfer them and if you also put on DNSD sticker , all should be fine hopefully ...or if a seller is really worried about the possibility of them being pilfered if "left safe" as you only get a limited number per month at the moment just use them for ones going to PO boxes .... again only time will tell  

bear in mind all Myer online purchases have Myer plastered all over them , and I can assure you anything bought from myer would be more costly than a similar item from eBay

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2010, 05:24:37 PM »
Brumby, I'll let you know if any of ours go missing.

So far we haven't had any regular parcels lost, had one sent to the wrong address and another one RTS but none that disappeared altogether.

I don't think having eBay on the satchel will make them any more likely to disappear. At least once a week I come home to find a parcel on the doorstep - and most are branded with the manufacturer/seller's name - asos, Amazon, even some eBay sellers use labels with eBay printed on them.

I do think having tracking will save a lot of worry about INR claims and PayPal's No Questions Asked Refund policy.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2010, 05:25:53 PM »
And it is also only $1 extra to have Signature on Delivery so if sellers use that option there should be no parcels left on doorsteps/in letterboxes.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2010, 08:06:35 PM »
The idea certainly is long overdue - but the extremely limited stock made available is not just ludicrous, it's embarrassing.

This should have been released in July - so that there would have been time for the (inevitable) teething problems to be ironed out - from computer systems functionality to user education - and to better gauge demand for the Christmas season.

But to introduce something like this at a time critical period, seems rather risky to me.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2010, 05:34:12 PM »
I have encountered a problem with the new satchels!

We've filled up the red box at the end of our street and had to go to the next red box to post the rest of the items sold this weekend. Maybe Aus Post will need to make the boxes a bit bigger.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2010, 05:35:08 PM »
Wheels thats a great problem to have encountered

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2010, 05:40:56 PM »
Yes, I'm not complaining!   :piggybank:

98 sales on eBay and 12 on the website so far this month. Sold out of most of our bestsellers and we'll close on Friday for the holidays until late January.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2010, 05:54:33 PM »
but that cant be right Wheels eBay is such a terrible place 

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2010, 06:04:14 PM »
It is! Terrible(y) busy!