Author Topic: Censorship: historically, now, implications for the internet, etc.  (Read 20784 times)

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
Re: Censorship: historically, now, implications for the internet, etc.
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2010, 02:01:30 AM »
Lacey, I don't think anyone thinks less or more of anyone else because they vote labour or liberal.  And I don't think there is anything personal in anything anyone has said.  Politics will always draw lively discussion. 

You are a lovely and valued member here and always contribute to this forum. I love the interaction from everyone and everyone has something to contribute and I value the differing opinions.  The only thing I am intolerant of is deceit and nastyness and I've seen none of that in this recent discussion.

I luvs ya all...

:grouphug:
:duckling:

Poddy

« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2010, 01:39:43 PM »
I lubs ya all!!

Even though I might not agree with you or your outlook on things, I still value all the opinions here, and that goes for everyone.

I always try to address the issue and not the person and anything I may or may not say should not br taken on a personal level, it is not meant that way.

Having said that I must add, there have been a couple of occasions when people have come to this forum for the sole purpose to disrupt and undermine the community here.

On those occasions, past and future, I reserve the right to expose them in no uncertain terms :)

If the bloody NBN or The bloody Filter had been introduced by 'wingnut' or the Queen or even God himself I would oppose it just as vehemently.
Even more so in the case of God because he because He would have KNOWN it ain’t gonna work.

I have no doubt that JOOLYA would not be fully aware of the implications of the bloody NBN or the Bloody Filter. I would not expect her to be.

BUT

Being the Head Honcho and in control of multi million people’s money I would expect that restraint would be used in spending it. If and that is a big IF there is that sort of money to be spent I am sure there is at least 100 projects to add to this country’s infrastructure which should take priority.
To me it shows a large degree of gullibility to have been conned into schemes that involves BILLIONS of dollars of my and YOUR money without doing very strict viability studies.
Gullibility is not a desirable attribute for the leader of a country regardless of political leanings.

You just have to look at other countries in the world, a lot of whom have a more advanced economy, much smaller areas to cover, higher technological skill level and yet they have not attained 100Mb/s data transfer rates for their population.

OH MAN!!! My economy of words image is under threat AGAIN.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2010, 10:00:10 PM »
Lacey, as has been said, politics will ALWAYS draw very lively discussions. (On some forums, in fact, politics are forbidden to be discussed, BECAUSE people have strong political views - usually opposing each other. I find that a sad solution; we must be able, I believe, to find ourselves able to disagree with each other, even very strongly, while still acknowledging the right of everyone to have different opinions, and without the disagreements of views becoming personally nasty towards any member here.)

Well, the administrative view here is to avoid gagging honest opinion re political figures (within the rules here, of course). Tony Abbott's been called a clown, a snake, etc., and Ms Gillard's been called a backstabber and a snake, etc. Both are, in my view, fair comments. (Not necessarily accurate, but fair in the context of the discussions here.)

As Poddy has said, everyone's opinions here is valued, even though there may be disagreement!
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

lacey

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2010, 10:44:14 PM »
yep I agree and you won't get rid of my that quick.  Besides I've cool down now.  lol, forgot to mow the lawn but picked up a very large amount of sticks and by the time i had finished, I had forgotten all about all this.

And I lubbs you guys and dolls too.
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2010, 10:54:53 PM »
Well, if you don't feel like doing any lawnmowing, how about some whipper-snippering?

"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Poddy

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2010, 11:06:41 PM »
Good for you Lacey :)

By the way no one wants to get rid of you and if they do just let me know on the quiet ;)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2010, 11:37:23 AM »
Freedom of expression... I believe in this.

And yet side by side, I believe in the need for boundaries.

Perhaps the axiom is that true freedom comes from the embracing of boundaries... whereas one aspect of slavery comes from the deliberate smashing of all boundaries.

There is none so bound to a destructive and wilful endenture to one's own cement boots as he who tramples over the dreams and meagre rights of others.

Conversely, no human being has the right to put a concrete collar of restricted information around the neck of others and claim it's for their "protection"...

That's the dilemma.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2010, 11:57:03 AM »
I got kicked by someone wearing cement boots once ..........................

...............................I was mortarlly wounded ........................... they caught the guy ......................

.......... police couldnt lay charges as I had washed the residue off my wounds so there was no concrete evidence ....................................

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2010, 07:11:58 PM »
I have my own expression to define fair boundaries on freedom:

"Your freedom to swing your arms stops at the end of my nose."

Poddy

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2010, 10:44:37 PM »
And an orator said, "Speak to us of Freedom."

And he answered:

At the city gate and by your fireside I have seen you prostrate yourself and worship your own freedom,

Even as slaves humble themselves before a tyrant and praise him though he slays them.

Ay, in the grove of the temple and in the shadow of the citadel I have seen the freest among you wear their freedom as a yoke and a handcuff.

And my heart bled within me; for you can only be free when even the desire of seeking freedom becomes a harness to you, and when you cease to speak of freedom as a goal and a fulfillment.

You shall be free indeed when your days are not without a care nor your nights without a want and a grief,

But rather when these things girdle your life and yet you rise above them naked and unbound.

And how shall you rise beyond your days and nights unless you break the chains which you at the dawn of your understanding have fastened around your noon hour?

In truth that which you call freedom is the strongest of these chains, though its links glitter in the sun and dazzle the eyes.

And what is it but fragments of your own self you would discard that you may become free?

If it is an unjust law you would abolish, that law was written with your own hand upon your own forehead.

You cannot erase it by burning your law books nor by washing the foreheads of your judges, though you pour the sea upon them.

And if it is a despot you would dethrone, see first that his throne erected within you is destroyed.

For how can a tyrant rule the free and the proud, but for a tyranny in their own freedom and a shame in their won pride?

And if it is a care you would cast off, that care has been chosen by you rather than imposed upon you.

And if it is a fear you would dispel, the seat of that fear is in your heart and not in the hand of the feared.

Verily all things move within your being in constant half embrace, the desired and the dreaded, the repugnant and the cherished, the pursued and that which you would escape.

These things move within you as lights and shadows in pairs that cling.

And when the shadow fades and is no more, the light that lingers becomes a shadow to another light.

And thus your freedom when it loses its fetters becomes itself the fetter of a greater freedom.

Kahlil Gibran