Author Topic: Trident, Praise where praise is due  (Read 20891 times)

Poddy

Trident, Praise where praise is due
« on: May 05, 2010, 06:46:34 PM »
I have just returned from the city, I Have just picked up my replacement lifetime guaranteed 160mm kitchen knife.

There is still, in this day and age, even though rare, vendors and manufacturers who stand fully behind the quality of their products

The story of this beloved kitchen knife is as follows

The knife was purchased 22 years ago and has been used daily over that period of time, it was my prime knife.

In its lifetime it has seen every action that can be expected of a knife, it held its edge foe around 2 years before needing sharpening and I might add that I like my knives very sharp.

About 3 weeks ago it was knocked from the bench top and a 60mm portion from the tip snapped off, it had been dropped many times before with no mishap.

I remember that when the set of knives were purchased the paper that cane with the knife claimed 'lifetime guarantee’ so I decided to put it to the test.

The knife in two pieces was returned to the manufacturer and I picked up the replacement today ?

The brand of the knife is Trident

Thank you Trident

Poddy

Re: Trident, Praise where praise is due
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 07:41:55 PM »
I forgot to add.

If you are after a GREAT quality kitchen knife, spend a few extra dollars and get the best there is you will never have to buy one of that type/size  again in your lifetime :)

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 09:39:19 PM »
:duckling:  * Good to hear Poddy... :applause:
:duckling:

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 09:54:49 PM »
How's the knife for throwing Poddy. I've got 4 throwing knives & a throwing axe.

Poddy

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 10:13:33 PM »
I havnt tried throwing it but for everything else it is brilliant :)

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 10:31:39 PM »

This is the best knife I have ever owned, it's 10 years old now and still sharp as the day I purchased it,  it has a hollow ground blade and I have actually shaved with it out in the field, mates have cut themselves severely with it many times and refuse to use it when I hand it to them... LOL  they nick named it "the weapon" ... it's so good I purchased another about 3 weeks ago fearing it maybe discontinued, the serrated upper have will cut through roo leg bone no problem, if you ever buy one knife this is it... mounted on a barret 50 you would be unstoppable Ubb's !...LOL

[attachment deleted by admin]

maven

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 10:36:01 PM »

Wow Yibs! Shaving "Crocodile dundee" style, v impressive!

I once was a sales rep for a company called "Cutco" which sold knives with a forever guarentee....

Was when I was a wee teenager, wonder if they are now defunct?

Will go google it I think! :)

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 10:38:30 PM »

Wow Yibs! Shaving "Crocodile dundee" style, v impressive!

I once was a sales rep for a company called "Cutco" which sold knives with a forever guarentee....

Was when I was a wee teenager, wonder if they are now defunct?

Will go google it I think! :)

Mind you I did have a supply of band aids on hand ...LOL  :rofl:

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 10:39:05 PM »
Poddy, that is good to know. I will look for that company as I need another carving knife.
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

maven

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 10:42:11 PM »

Well prepared as well Yibs! At least if you nicked urself you wouldn't end up looking like Norman gunston!!!!!

:lmao:

Poddy

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 10:42:47 PM »
they are not in expensive centuries but they are great

golden

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 10:43:03 PM »
Now thats a knife Yib.  However, I bought a smaller Muela, (pocket knife) paid $120.00 from local gun shop, as I was told, Spanish, German, or USA from memory.  Couldn't be more disappointed in it! NOT sharp, small allen screws fall out, Not happy!  should I return it with my complaints and hope its fixed or replaced?  Dont wanna whinge, but, for that price, upset.  All I want is a good rabbit skinning knife, euthanase sheep, etc..

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 10:43:45 PM »

Well prepared as well Yibs! At least if you nicked urself you wouldn't end up looking like Norman gunston!!!!!

:lmao:

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 10:45:20 PM »
I have to agree with you Poddy...a good knife can last a lifetime.

I have one knife though...it is one out of a set of three that have the good old Bessemer brand.

I have had it since before I left home...and that is going back almost 40 years ago.

My ex, the stupid cluts....tried to dig something out of the freezer once though....and managed to snap the tip off it!

I could probably replace it through Bessemer...but that knife has been with me too long....and has so much history...I don't think I could part with it! :blownose:

I think it is still savable if I take it to a good knife sharpener...and they could sharpen it to a slim point.

But I also have an old knife from my late Father's kitchen drawer. It has a bone handle...and has been sharpened for over 50 years!  It looks like an old fish filleting knife..lol

Poddy

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »
I remembet Cutco they were a flash in the pan, made from scrap metal hahahaha

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 10:47:43 PM »
Now thats a knife Yib.  However, I bought a smaller Muela, (pocket knife) paid $120.00 from local gun shop, as I was told, Spanish, German, or USA from memory.  Couldn't be more disappointed in it! NOT sharp, small allen screws fall out, Not happy!  should I return it with my complaints and hope its fixed or replaced?  Dont wanna whinge, but, for that price, upset.  All I want is a good rabbit skinning knife, euthanase sheep, etc..

Get the one above Golden, I guarantee you won't be disappointed, that's why I purchased another not long ago, I won't use the new one till the original packs it in, but it's been 10 years already so it might outlast me !... Zen imports in Melbourne has it, go to their web site and check out the other knives, but for the money the Police model is hard to beat, the hollow ground blade makes all the difference...

I should point out it is over kill for the Kitchen ...LOL   it is a outdoor field knife but I double duty it when there's a particularly stubborn beef or chicken to contend with...

Poddy

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 10:49:36 PM »
yes Roo get it reground a knife sharpener will do it easy

and while you are there ask about Trident hehehehehe

golden

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 10:54:55 PM »
Thanks Yib, will do!  would you sharpen a knife yourself, (if ok on a steele, emery block etc) or would it be worth paying? to get it done professionally?

When I lived in Finland they are knife MAD over there.  (puttko, I think its spelt) they told me paper was the worst thing to cut with a knife!  Surely that couldn't be right!  Maybe it got lost in the translation somewhere... lol...

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 10:58:54 PM »
Thanks Yib, will do!  would you sharpen a knife yourself, (if ok on a steele, emery block etc) or would it be worth paying? to get it done professionally?

When I lived in Finland they are knife MAD over there.  (puttko, I think its spelt) they told me paper was the worst thing to cut with a knife!  Surely that couldn't be right!  Maybe it got lost in the translation somewhere... lol...

Golden I only use a stone to sharpen my knives, the blade is that good I only need to hit the smooth side of the stone 3 or 4 times each blade side with machine oil, if you get one, be wery careful...wery careful indeed...

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 11:04:47 PM »
Yib. I googled Zen imports for the knife but their Muela knife section is "under construction". How much are they. I must have one.

I have a knife collection & I sharpen them on an Arkansas stone.

Poddy

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 11:05:31 PM »
I would guess that cutting sheet metal woulf be worse than cutting paper hehehehe

But I too have heard that said but o would think that cellulose fibers would not be too abrasive

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 11:11:28 PM »
Yib. I googled Zen imports for the knife but their Muela knife section is "under construction". How much are they. I must have one.

I have a knife collection & I sharpen them on an Arkansas stone.

Heres the link Ubb's, click on the products above then knives  .... the model I quoted earlier... good to deal with and quick service... I also buy my tactical LED LENSER torches off them...

http://www.zenimports.com.au/

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 11:13:56 PM »
Thanks Yib. I can't find any reference to the knife though as the site says that the Muela knife section is under construction.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 11:15:42 PM »
Belay that last pipe Yib, I found them. I wasn't looking in the right spot.

Poddy

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 11:16:26 PM »
worthwhile checking this out :)

http://www.everten.com.au/category/Wusthof-Trident-Knives-Ikon.html/

go back to the home page to see a full range of products :)

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 11:16:51 PM »
Thanks Yib. I can't find any reference to the knife though as the site says that the Muela knife section is under construction.

That cant be Ubb's ?... when I click the link every things ok ?... doesn't say anything about under construction ?... Calling Poddster !!

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 11:17:48 PM »
Belay that last pipe Yib, I found them. I wasn't looking in the right spot.

I get all my tactical stuff off these guys... { I'm really a Ninja at night... }

Poddy

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 11:20:30 PM »
Zen works for me :)

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 11:20:34 PM »
Yib. The knives are all excellent. A bloke could go broke in a shop buying all those knives.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 11:28:01 PM »
Yib. The knives are all excellent. A bloke could go broke in a shop buying all those knives.

I know ubb's !... my two head torches are a fenix and a LED lenser both about 225 lumens... they light up the whole river at night... you'll never step on one of those sneaky tiger snakes on a summers night...

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2010, 11:31:48 PM »
I better have a look at them as well. One can never have too many torches & knives. I've always said that.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2010, 11:35:01 PM »
I better have a look at them as well. One can never have too many torches & knives. I've always said that.

These are the two I rely on now, I researched them for months before buying them....

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=49

http://www.zweibrueder.com/ENG/produkte/html_highperformance/html_Hserie/h7.php?id=h7

Two of the best on the market in my opinion... the fenix is a beast... both are electronically controlled outputs...

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 11:38:04 PM »
What is it about Men and knives and torches?!

The Man of the house wears one of each on his belt to work each day. He just needs a whip hanging over the shoulder and he could be Indiana Jones!  :lol:

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 11:39:44 PM »
I also take this with me when I go bush.... tells me altitude.. barometric pressure for weather changes... compass... moon phases and tides... it also tells the time for a side function...its solar powered so never needs battery's... LOL { did mention I'm a Ninja by night ?... LOL }...I got it on feebay...

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2010, 11:41:51 PM »
The Fenixlight looks brilliant. would be perfect for night fishing in the bush. I've gotta have one of them as well. I might have to sell a bow to make up the money.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2010, 11:43:36 PM »
Good watch Yib. I have a similar watch. I also have a camouflage watch but I put it down & can't find it.

I collect watches, I've got about 15 of them.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2010, 11:45:21 PM »
Good watch Yib. I have a similar watch. I also have a camouflage watch but I put it down & can't find it.

I collect watches, I've got about 15 of them.

I'm a member of watchuseek forums also...great source of information if your into ABC style watches...

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2010, 11:48:51 PM »

These are the next two I will be buying soon....the black stealth on the left is great for no reflections to alert the prey...

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2010, 11:50:34 PM »
I've just checked that forum out. It's huge, I didn't realise so many people were into watches.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2010, 11:52:38 PM »
Both watches look good. The one on the right is a Timex, it won't be cheap. As the old saying goes though, "buy cheap buy twice".

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 11:54:45 PM »
I've just checked that forum out. It's huge, I didn't realise so many people were into watches.

I only hang out in the "Sub-Forums : Digital & ABC watches" ... lots of guys from the armed forces have there input on watches after being in the field...lots of good knowledge there...  Look for the little Green martian over there Too !!...LOL

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2010, 11:59:42 PM »
Both watches look good. The one on the right is a Timex, it won't be cheap. As the old saying goes though, "buy cheap buy twice".

The one on the left is a casio PGR-80TY... the most accurate of the casio abc watches, it has compensation so the altimeter doesn't mess with the barometer readings, the compass is very accurate also... the black titanium model can be had for under $300...and the most popular by most of the guys in the armed forces that frequent the site...

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2010, 12:29:21 PM »
Good afternoon all! (yes, it's been a while...)

The thing about cutting paper blunting knives?? Not sure if it an old wives tale, but I know that if my good dress making scissors were used to cut paper I knew immediately, as they would be blunt - it was one thing that caused me to threaten death  (or worse) on my family ...

do NOT cut paper with anything you want to have a sharp edge!!!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2010, 01:47:39 PM »
Bellagina, my father DID take my dressmaking scissors. He did. I know it. He tried to avoid answering me when I interrogated him down in the "Dad Did You" cellar... but yes, they are no longer the instruments of sharpness they used to be.

Trident, hmm? Good quality customer service is something to be valued. I think I may need some more knives...
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2010, 02:01:54 PM »
Good afternoon all! (yes, it's been a while...)

The thing about cutting paper blunting knives?? Not sure if it an old wives tale, but I know that if my good dress making scissors were used to cut paper I knew immediately, as they would be blunt - it was one thing that caused me to threaten death  (or worse) on my family ...

do NOT cut paper with anything you want to have a sharp edge!!!

This is very true. VERY VERY true.

I have a family friend who does some dressmaking at home and they are reasonably well equipped - with sewing machine, overlocker, sewing table and various other bits and pieces - as well as a couple of pairs of scissors used exclusively for cutting material. One day, I was over and had to cut some paper. I picked up one of THOSE scissors.

The reaction was immediate and never to be forgotten.

Since the scissors never made contact with the paper, dire consequences were avoided - a fact for which I am eternally grateful.

Let's just say that I now - and forever will - have solemn respect for a dressmaker's scissors.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2010, 02:29:11 PM »
Quite true . Paper and dressmaking scissors do not mix.

A wonderful, old, pair of dressmaking scissors of mine were "borrowed" and used to cut thick cardboard.

The next time I used them to cut silk (which was the only material I cut with those scissors)  it became painfully obvious something had happened. Grrr! 

It was an expensive " mistake". :evillaugh:

“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2010, 02:32:01 PM »
Hi cent, your up early ?.. your usually on the night shift around here...LOL

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2010, 02:52:16 PM »

A wonderful, old, pair of dressmaking scissors of mine were "borrowed" and used to cut thick cardboard.

The next time I used them to cut silk (which was the only material I cut with those scissors)  it became painfully obvious something had happened. Grrr! 

It's enough to make your blood boil isn't it??!

And the denials! And the "wasn't me's"!

But we know....

We ALWAYS know......

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2010, 02:55:18 PM »

It's enough to make your blood boil isn't it??!

And the denials! And the "wasn't me's"!

But we know....

We ALWAYS know......

Dress makers scissors at 10 paces... turn and cut !.....LOL.....Hi Bella !...