Author Topic: Older than Dirt  (Read 20601 times)

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Older than Dirt
« on: January 27, 2010, 03:56:56 AM »
Older Than Dirt Quiz :

Count all the ones that you remember,
not the ones you were told about.

(Ratings at the bottom.)

1 Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6 . Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines on the telephone
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were20there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels [if you were fortunate])
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records ( How about 78 rpm records? )
15. S& H green stamps
16 Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age
If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/The-Soapbox/Older-Than-Dirt/510184416

"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Older than Dirt
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 07:18:35 AM »
just scraped in as being an old fart ... remembered 16

wyzeguy60

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 07:28:26 AM »
dang - only 13. but then we lived in the country and hardly ever saw the new fangled thangs

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 07:31:29 AM »
and yet you are older than me ya 'ol buzzard ! 

wyzeguy60

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 07:34:47 AM »
ha - probably means my memory is going. What were we remembering ?

HellWest'nCrooked

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 08:14:41 AM »

Oh dear.......I get to 14,,,and  seriously.. I was born in a shoebox on the side of the road...so
how does that work. :huh: :huh:

Westie   :ivanhoe:
Ain't no rhyme or reason
No complicated meaning

Poddy

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:13:48 AM »
What are all those things you have listed Tello?

Figments of collective imagination?

;D ;D ;D

HellWest'nCrooked

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 11:46:56 AM »
What are all those things you have listed Tello?

Figments of collective imagination?

;D ;D ;D

yeah right Poddy....come on..fess up!!!
Ain't no rhyme or reason
No complicated meaning

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 12:07:49 PM »
 :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:

On second thoughts

Amnesia is wonderful   :D
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 03:01:08 PM »
1 Blackjack chewing gum - I've no idea what this is
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water - ... er. no idea
3. Candy cigarettes - do you mean those lolly things that supposedly resembled cigarettes? They're still available. http://www.advantageservice.net/candy_cigarettes.htm
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles - I don't remember, but it's possible...
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes - no
6 . Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers - no, but we had this at school! Ugh, it wasn't good milk.
7. Party lines on the telephone - no, but that would have been fun.
8. Newsreels before the movie - no, but I've seen films that showed characters watching newsreels before the movie ... on DVD. It must have been intriguing.
9. P.F. Flyers - what are these?
10. Butch wax - NO... IDEA! - I've no idea at all what this is!
11. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were20there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels [if you were fortunate]) - No, but it's made use of very intelligently and intriguingly in the BBC series "Life on Mars".
12. Peashooters - are these some sort of slingshot?
13. Howdy Doody - I know the phrase so I must heard it somewhere (probably in films) but I don't know anyone who uses it
14. 45 RPM records ( How about 78 rpm records? ) - I have some. I collect 78s! And I've certainly seen 45s.
15. S& H green stamps - What are these?
16 Hi-fi's - Er... you mean sound systems? Of course!
17. Metal ice trays with lever - a lever to do what? No, ice trays are made of white plastic.
18. Mimeograph paper - I had to google the term. No.
19 Blue flashbulb - No. I googled it, and all I can see is that blue flashbulbs are required for photography (colour film daylight balanced).
20. Packards - this wouldn't apply to Australians, seeing that (thanks to Google again) a Packard was a luxury American automobile. Hmm, the older ones look beautiful.
21. Roller skate keys - er... I'm lost... What are roller skate keys?
22. Cork popguns - I don't know what this is
23. Drive-ins - at least I know what THIS is! Yes, I am sure I remember being taken to a drive-in as a little girl. But I can't remember if we actually watched a film there... or whether it was just to see a drive-in.
24. Studebakers - again, American vehicles, yes? I wouldn't mind one of those old carriages which they produced.
25. Wash tub wringers - no.

"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

That Varieties Gal

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 03:20:03 PM »
well I have to admit that there was once a time in my life when number 11 was extremely interesting for several hours at a time ............

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 10:02:28 PM »
1 Blackjack chewing gum - I've no idea what this is I think it's a US thing.
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water - ... er. no idea Another yank idea I think.
3. Candy cigarettes - do you mean those lolly things that supposedly resembled cigarettes? They're still available. http://www.advantageservice.net/candy_cigarettes.htm You mean FAGS?  they are still around...but they are much shorter and thinner now...and they took the red tip off them. They also call them FADS now..lol  You can actually get rubbed out for life on Ebay forums for saying Fag....as someone I know said it once when offering another poster a ciggie...but all went well after they emailed the Mod to explain the Aussie meaning...and sent a Solicitor letter to warn them..lol
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles - I don't remember, but it's possible...
Yep...I remember those.

5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes - noYep...and there are still a few around....hard to find though.  Usually in one of those Greek places that have great Souvalakis.
6 . Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers - no, but we had this at school! Ugh, it wasn't good milk.I think cardboard may have been a US thing too.....we had silver foil tops on our third pint bottles at school.  Everyone vied to be milk monitor too!

14. RPM records ( How about 78 rpm records? ) - I have some. I collect 78s! And I've certainly seen 45s. ]I have quite a nice collection of 45's...and have quite a few 78's as well...mainly Polka music and stuff like that..lol  My mum had a few old Mario Lanza 78's that I covert.  You didn't mention EP's?  I have a few of them too.

15. S& H green stamps - What are these? Another US thang.

16 Hi-fi's - Er... you mean sound systems? Of course! ]I still have a HI-Fi....need it to play my 45's and 78's...lol

17. Metal ice trays with lever - a lever to do what? No, ice trays are made of white plastic.]I have 2 metal lever trays in the freezer right now!...they even outlived my Tupperware plastic ones. People used to make home made ice cream in the old days and use the metal trays to freeze the mixture.

18. Mimeograph paper - I had to google the term. No. ]I'm too lazy tonight to google...but the term rings a bell.

19 Blue flashbulb - No. I googled it, and all I can see is that blue flashbulbs are required for photography (colour film daylight balanced). ]My first camera had blue flashbulbs...and sometimes they got so hot they formed melted bubbles of molten glass after they flashed.

20. Packards - this wouldn't apply to Australians, seeing that (thanks to Google again) a Packard was a luxury American automobile. Hmm, the older ones look beautiful.] I thought Packards was the removalist company..lol...but I think the Countess is right...car company.  Sort of like our FJ Holden?

21. Roller skate keys - er... I'm lost... What are roller skate keys?]I think the keys were the things you used to adjust the wheels on skates?  Roller skating was a bit ho-hum in Oz....we prefered Ice Skating because you could get yourself soaked on the ice and walk home cool on a hot day..lol.   Roller Derby was popular on TV for a few years...around the time Wrestling was a big drawcard.*sigh...I still have fantasies about Randy Savage....I think Tello may be related to him....same sex appeal.

22. Cork popguns - I don't know what this is ]I owned one...lol...and it drove my Mum crazy...lol

23. Drive-ins - at least I know what THIS is! Yes, I am sure I remember being taken to a drive-in as a little girl. But I can't remember if we actually watched a film there... or whether it was just to see a drive-in. ]Yep...Drive-Ins are fantastic!  I think there is still one out Dromana way?  I dated in the 70's...so Drive-ins were a normal Saturday night venue. My Grandpa used to smuggle me in, in the back seat too.... a long time ago...with a blanket over me.  I loved spending the whole night playing on the swings and slides up the front of the venue.

24. Studebakers - again, American vehicles, yes? I wouldn't mind one of those old carriages which they produced.  ]They sound like our early Volvos..lol

25. Wash tub wringers - no.] I actually owned one when I first had my own place.  Trading it for a slab of beer when I upgraded to a Simpsons top loader.  It went to a good holiday home...and I think it's still running...lol

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 10:04:10 PM »
Oh Dang It!...I think cut and pasting lost a few in the middle...let me work on them..lol

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 10:08:26 PM »
Are we having fun yet?  :banana:

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 10:11:19 PM »
I don't remember much on the list at all. That doesn't mean I'm younger than any of you, it just means I have a poor memory these days.

Amazingly though, I still remember when I was first fed Macaroni Cheese (I love Macaroni Cheese). I was about 3 or 4 & my parents took me to the pictures for the first time after tea. I saw Smilie gets a gun. I wanted a gun after watching the picture & wasn't allowed to have one. I never did understand why not.

:bigcalibre:

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 10:13:57 PM »
Guns are a 'gateway drug' which lead to harder artillery.

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Ok...missing ones...7-13....

7. Party lines on the telephone - no, but that would have been fun.  Party lines were a Country problem in my days...but we did have an old black Bakelite phone with the silver round thing with holes to dial.
8. Newsreels before the movie - no, but I've seen films that showed characters watching newsreels before the movie ... on DVD. It must have been intriguing. I saw newsreels..and it only cost sixpence for a movie too.
9. P.F. Flyers - what are these? US Thing?
10. Butch wax - NO... IDEA! - I've no idea at all what this is! Anything like Brylcream? 11. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were20there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels [if you were fortunate]) - No, but it's made use of very intelligently and intriguingly in the BBC series "Life on Mars". I remember the test patterns...and it usually had them playing 'God Save the Queen' just before transmition closed. I remember only having 3 stations as well....2,7 and 9.  ATV O came out...(later changed to ATV10)...and then SBS.  
12. Peashooters - are these some sort of slingshot? A bit of an American thing I think...a long tube which you put metal balls or pellets into...then blew them out real hard.
13. Howdy Doody - I know the phrase so I must heard it somewhere (probably in films) but I don't know anyone who uses it..US comedy thing...a bit like our BOZO the clown...only without makeup?

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 10:24:18 PM »
I love " harder artillery".

I tried to add a picture of a piece of "harder artillery" but I got this message;

"The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator."

I'm not sure what it means as the picture was only a couple of hundred KB's.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Call in tech support!

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 10:26:40 PM »

You rang ?

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 10:27:49 PM »
This Thread Delivers!

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 10:30:13 PM »
It must be a peace loving pacifist thread because it wouldn't let me post a photo of a large firearm.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 10:32:03 PM »
I want that issue resolved....NOW!

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 10:34:27 PM »
This is 800px × 578px  55.99 KB (57337 bytes) and still post here, ya must be doing something wrong ?... this site auto shrinks your pics no matter how large from the web.....pics from your pc are different, they may need compressing if too large.... I think ?

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 10:40:47 PM »

Tourism along the Ubb & Yib Railway, Montello, Nevada circa 1972

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 10:41:44 PM »
A big "gun" that one. I must have one!

My attached pictures have always worked in the past, even pictures with more kb's

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 10:48:41 PM »
Try again, Ubbie. I've increased the folder size for attachments; we'll see whether that was the problem.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2010, 10:51:53 PM »
Welp. This is the end of the topic......

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 10:52:07 PM »
Oke Doke Countess. I re-sized this picture of a heavy machine gun.

[attachment deleted by admin]

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 10:53:45 PM »
Countess. It worked but, it's still bigger than normal. My photos don't come out this big when I attach them so something must have gone crackers in my mongrel PC. I'll work on it.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 10:54:18 PM »
Bitchen!

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2010, 10:56:34 PM »

Just rub the lamp and Tess materializes before your eye's ....LOLOL

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2010, 10:58:22 PM »
I tried rubbing a lamp once.

The Antiques Dealer told me to knock it off.

That Varieties Gal

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2010, 10:59:12 PM »
Is that thing yours ubbie?????????????

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2010, 11:03:37 PM »
Pea Shooter.

:rofl:

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2010, 11:06:32 PM »
Narh Robbie. I couldn't be that lucky. the machine gun in the photo & all other machine guns are totally prohibited.

New laws came in (Federally) after the Port Arthur massacre banning many classes of firearms. There was a buy back scheme for all "guns" that had become prohibited under the new legislation. Sadly (we in my profession new this would be the case) only the honest law abiding gun owners handed their weapons in.  There are probably more illegal firearms about now then there ever was before.

wyzeguy60

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2010, 11:09:37 PM »

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2010, 11:11:15 PM »
There are probably more illegal firearms about now then there ever was before.

Oz and US.........

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2010, 11:12:15 PM »
wyzeguy. That is a hell of a fine piece of heavy weaponry. Wish I had one. Looks like it is remote controlled, is it?

That Varieties Gal

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2010, 11:13:09 PM »
is it a model?
like a remote controlled one

wyzeguy60

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010, 11:16:40 PM »
check out our own " metal storm " in QLD - mind blowing stuff ( google it )

and here is one for tello to watch out for when the snow melts

;D

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 11:16:46 PM »
9. P.F. Flyers - what are these?

'Sneakers' as they call them over there. I think they were a sports shoe and I'd probably equate them to our 'sandshoes' - such as the original canvas Dunlop Volley.

10. Butch wax - NO... IDEA! - I've no idea at all what this is!

Checked Google - and, yes, it would seem to be the equivalent of Brylcream.

15. S& H green stamps - What are these?

They weren't "S & H" as that was an American company, but YES - we HAVE had these!! ... in Sydney, at least.  I remember helping my grandmother paste them into little books.  Can't for the life of me remember any details, but I do remember they were green.

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2010, 11:19:18 PM »
Talking about firearms....

Tello...when you finally hit our shores...make sure you leve your guns at home.

Just a community announcement...lol

But, really....you don't need a gun here....if you don't like someone...you just punch them in the nose!

Then they punch you...and you punch them back...and it goes on and on for a while.

Then when you are both spent...you shake hands and have a beer together and become best friends.

That's the Aussie way...and it works well.... ;D

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 11:19:50 PM »
Hey wyzeguy. What sort of critter is that? I want one. Does he come with the machine gun?

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2010, 11:25:45 PM »
Hey wyzeguy. What sort of critter is that? I want one. Does he come with the machine gun?

I think it is a nutless squirrel...known as the Frank Spencer variety...because of the beret...lol

But he has a fine singing voice from what I have heard.

wyzeguy60

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2010, 11:25:54 PM »
hi Ubbie - only get them in nevada I believe, some sort of squirrel I believe.

they take out their revenge on unsuspecting montellians at the onset of spring. Gun comes as standard issue along with beret - LOL

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2010, 11:31:15 PM »
Typical of my luck. A Nevada critter. I couldn't import on as it would be subject to Aust. Quarantine restrictions, it might have Rabies.

Hey Tello, you got Rabies in Nevada?

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2010, 11:32:54 PM »
If Tello had rabies, I don't think it would matter what state he was in...

That Varieties Gal

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2010, 11:35:43 PM »
Talking about firearms....

Tello...when you finally hit our shores...make sure you leve your guns at home.

Just a community announcement...lol

But, really....you don't need a gun here....if you don't like someone...you just punch them in the nose!

Then they punch you...and you punch them back...and it goes on and on for a while.

Then when you are both spent...you shake hands and have a beer together and become best friends.

That's the Aussie way...and it works well.... ;D
roo my son has been working in security across the boarder - this arvo he was relaying 2 stories of two blokes who got in a brawl at the local - both were found in the river the following day! (about 6 mths apart). rough pub! the (indoors!) band uses a security fence!!
so, not everyone shakes hands!!

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2010, 11:36:29 PM »
Good one Brum6y.
 :roflmao: :lmao: :lol: :rofl: :applause: