Author Topic: I've had another brain wave !! ...admin opinion?  (Read 14549 times)

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
I've had another brain wave !! ...admin opinion?
« on: May 31, 2009, 04:26:06 PM »
Hello admin and members, here's my thoughts, most of us are sellers or buyers on ebay at one time or another, what does everybody think of a dedicated selling thread? ..could be named "round table bargain goods" or "round table sellers outlet" or similar so any members wishing to list items that did not sell on ebay or excess stock you have could be offered to members at a reasonable price...."mates rates".. if you like? .... maybe a small proceed could go to help with the cost of running this site?....  we could have each listing run for four weeks then automatically erase so the thread doesn't get clogged up with old or sold listings... you could get a better price for the item here than letting it go for 99 cents as is the case on many listings on ebay?

What does everyone think? .... is it a good idea or should I cut back on my medication?...   

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
Re: I've had another brain wave !! ...admin opinion?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 04:59:34 PM »
Yibida

I only buy but if what you propose is okay...why not?

I have been wondering if any who are able to could contribute something, even a small amount, towards the running costs? Just a thought!

“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 05:36:05 PM »
The suggestion poses a few problems, because this site would then be perceived as "commercial".

And if an "I'm selling this; anyone interested?" thread were posted, the site may bear legal responsibility in any instance of dissatisfaction... so it's something we'd need to look at very, very carefully.

We may have to put this on the back burner until the legal ramifications are fully understood...
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 05:50:42 PM »
The suggestion poses a few problems, because this site would then be perceived as "commercial".

And if an "I'm selling this; anyone interested?" thread were posted, the site may bear legal responsibility in any instance of dissatisfaction... so it's something we'd need to look at very, very carefully.

We may have to put this on the back burner until the legal ramifications are fully understood...

Hi Tessa, I never thought of that!.... you maybe right... what about the "We are just a venue" line ?... seems to dismiss all liabilities for another site I know.... ... :banana:

chrisntan72

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 09:12:12 AM »
what about the "We are just a venue" line ?... seems to dismiss all liabilities for another site I know....[/b] ... :banana:

Lol that's gold :)

cueperkins

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 09:41:33 AM »
Yep, it is a laugh, because it has already been demonstrated via a consumer affairs case in Melbourne that Ebay is in fact a 'Service Provider'....and that no money has to change hands for that relationship to exist.....so as much as they might like to kid themselves that they are nothing more than a venue,  if that concept is tested in the real world, it will more than likely fail.   They are a service provider, plain and simple.

And in the future, it's going to get even more clear cut.......Unfair Consumer Contract laws will soon be implemented nationally, (although some states have had them for years) in line with E-Commerce guidelines.  This means that if successful cases are mounted against E-Commerce service providers,  it won't take long before all User Agreements will have to fall into line with Best Practice as set out by the Australian Treasury's E-commerce Guidelines.   It's not just Ebay...many E-Commerce providers attempt to contract themselves out of responsibility, but not for much longer.  (By the way.....Telco's are amongst the most notorious for unfair consumer contracts)

Just think about it.....in real life, would you EVER sign a contract wherein you indemnify someone else for all imaginable risk?....well no....so why do we constantly do it online and why do these entities get away with stitching consumers for all the risk?  Because the laws have taken years to catch up with E-Commerce but it's coming.

Imagine walking into a shopping centre and getting mugged...of course, the centre management would be held responsible if they failed to mitigate, so what's different online?  Even a 'venue' has legal duty of care.

imperfect

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 10:22:15 AM »
Even a 'venue' has legal duty of care.

I totally agree but ebay like to think they don't..IMO

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 10:37:09 AM »
Ha! They also think that they are above the law.

I'm still waiting for the Law to bust their chops on the R.I.C.O. Act.....
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

imperfect

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 11:02:30 AM »
R.I.C.O....whats that??

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 11:03:48 AM »
"Bust their chops"... I somehow have a vision of an armed response team bursting in (black and menacing in SWAT gear) on a barbecue, shouting, "Down, down, down! Leave the sausages and chops! Down! I said DOWN!" - and then viciously shooting up the chops...
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 11:36:03 AM »
"Bust their chops"... I somehow have a vision of an armed response team bursting in (black and menacing in SWAT gear) on a barbecue, shouting, "Down, down, down! Leave the sausages and chops! Down! I said DOWN!" - and then viciously shooting up the chops...

LOL!!!!

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 10:27:55 PM »
Ha! They also think that they are above the law.

I'm still waiting for the Law to bust their chops on the R.I.C.O. Act.....

It's going to take a while Tello...but your post isn't just a pipedream.

Online fraud and legislation is going to be looked at much closer in the the coming years...mainly because they will have to!

No entity is going to be able to plead ignorance and rely on a smug statement that they are 'only a facility' in the future.

It's coming...and Ebay will be shaking in their boots about it too...just mark my words... ;)

I have a few thoughts about what will happen in the future...and I don't believe anything I have an inkiling about is beyond the realm of reason.

Ebay did a huge turn-around with protection for consumers on their site that elected to use Bank Deposits or the like.

Why?  Because it affected their bottom dollar!

So...instead of doing some proper verification of their selling members...they elected to put the onus on the buyers...in a way.

They have routinely made rules harder and almost imposible to follow...because they KNEW that the majority of members would just give up.

Throw in all the glitches and weird things happening on the site...and it just reeks of doggy doo doos.

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 10:32:40 PM »
BTW...I am a HUGE believer in the saying....

The bigger they are...the harder they fall... ;)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
Roo, with that in mind, I am tempted to have a pooper scooper next to my computer for my online buying.

col52

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 08:04:36 PM »
A good idea in principle but I agree with Countess. Could cause many problems.

Maybe we could take the lead of one who was well known to post daily "help" threads on the original RT?
Not that I would take advantage of it, of course, I am but a lowly jester Simply selling Jewelry.

:bounce:

:P

:rofl:

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 09:30:34 PM »
Cheeky :scold: :green:
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

col52

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 10:23:36 PM »
 :blush:

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 01:01:29 AM »
 :green: :green: :green: :banana: