Author Topic: The two faces of the two-faced eBay  (Read 7879 times)

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
The two faces of the two-faced eBay
« on: June 19, 2011, 06:37:35 AM »
Ah, the two faces of the two-faced cretins at eBay. Don’t you just love the content and the differing tones of the two emails. Still, you can’t expect eBay’s executive staff to be really interested in their paying customers, not while they are spending all their time sitting around the Ouija board trying to find answers for why the eBay Marketplace is effectively still going down the toilet—not even in this the fourth year of the chief headless turkey’s three-year “turnaround” have they yet been able to find an answer. Maybe if they go back to the “Bain Tool Kit [for Idiot Executives]” that “Monkey” Meg so often used to refer to?

Hi Gina!

It was great to talk to you today. We got disconnected and I have been trying to call you back only to get your answering machine. As we discussed your account looks great and there are no issues. I hope by me bidding on one of your items that helps gain your confidence back as we not have not [sic] rolling blackouts.

As you speak with other customers please have them call into eBay Customer Support with their issues as everyone has a different situation pertaining to them. They may excessive policy violations, being below standards or a number of other things.

If you would like to call me back please feel free. We appreciate you as an eBay customer!

Thank you!
Susan Sorensen
Work: 801-545-2489

Hi Gina,

I am writing you on behalf of eBay's Executive staff and will be addressing your concerns with Susan Sorensen and the visibility of your listings. I tried to call you but unfortunately was not able to get you on the line. As a result, I am contacting you by email.

Because of how the communication has transpired, we will no longer be responding to your emails or answering your phone calls. At this time, we ask that you go through our regular forms of customer support if you encounter a problem. For your convenience, I have included the steps to contact our customer support below. In closing, please know that further communication, outside of our regular channels of customer support, will result in the suspension of your eBay account. That includes contacting Susan or any other eBay Executive. We want to keep you on the site but ask that you consider this situation resolved.

Thank you in advance for understanding our position in this matter.

Regards,
Schad Deesing / eBay / Office of the President / ootp@eBay.com

What you should know about the clunky PayPal, at:
http://forums.auctionbytes.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=165263

What you should know about the criminal activities of eBay, at:
http://forums.auctionbytes.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23540

Enron / eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking.
“Today we’re dealing with phase two or phase three [he can’t even remember which one] of disruptive innovation. We’ve had the disruption, now we must disrupt our own disruption.”—John Donahoe (2007).

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: The two faces of the two-faced eBay
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 01:24:31 PM »
I don't see the context - hence, I cannot make sense of what you've posted, Philip.

Are these actual communications? Were they sent at the same time and in relation to the same situation? Who (in relation to eBay) is Gina? Why are rolling blackouts referred to? How HAS the communication transpired? (What occurred to make Mr Deesing threaten Gina with suspension if she tries to contact anyone at eBay?) What situation? What resolution?

Without any sense of context, I can't even begin to put this together.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 03:00:12 PM »
there are two sides to every story

can we please see ALL the emails sent by Gina

you might want to also include the dates of the two emails you have shown .... they could well have been months apart and for all we know Gina could be a completely looney

I suspect this is just another half cocked example of an over active bile duct

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 03:51:38 PM »
Sorry, the only additional info I can give you is at post #11 at:

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Technical-Issues/Ebay-Stop-Turning/5100000483?forumID=87&

Regardless, I am quite prepared to accept the tone of the communications at face vaue even without the additional info because I know this to be the sort of unscrupulous, disingenuous, incompetent people who are presently running eBay.

“Today we’re dealing with phase two or phase three [he can’t even remember which one] of disruptive innovation. We’ve had the disruption, now we must disrupt our own disruption.”—John Donahoe (2007).

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 04:22:59 PM »
Philip, I thank you for your efforts and involvement, but sometimes it would be a bit more helpful understanding the 'point' if you could give a brief outline.

Not all of us have the time to read through multiple links to find out if the story is of particular interest - and sometimes the 'point' is not clearly presented, although it may be very obvious in the mind of the poster.

As for this matter - if its about an eBay executive that has been caught up in an issue normally dealt with by the 'help' desk, then I can fully understand why they would have been pulled out of it.

That's not to say I support executives living apart in their ivory tower - I think it is very healthy for them to 'get their hands dirty' every now and then, so they can make better decisions.....  Well, that's the theory.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 05:38:57 PM »
Right - after a bit of checking into what prompted Gina's post, the primary concern appears to be this:

Some sellers are convinced their listings are somehow "disappearing".

They base this conviction on the bidding patterns on their items as well as (for some) page views. Two of the sellers are also linking it to Texan buyers. Confused? So was I. But read further. (Point 3.)

They are NOT basing it on factual evidence that their listings are not appearing. The sellers in question do not have proof that their listings are sometimes appearing and sometimes not appearing.

They THINK that their listings are appearing and disappearing because they have decided that it would be "statistically impossible" for their listings to have bids on them on some occasions but not on other occasions. I was frankly staggered to read this; a conclusion is being drawn by sellers without any effort being made to consider other possible causes than eBay messing with their auctions.

Let's think it through.

1. Does eBay have the control and technical ability to make some listings vanish occasionally on purpose? - Of course. So that's not an objection.

2. Does eBay have a REASON to make some listings vanish occasionally on purpose? - This is rather iffier. We could suggest that eBay is trying to get rid of the small sellers - all well and good. But why would they bother messing with some sellers' listings like this when they could simply restrict various sellers' accounts? To make some listings do a Brigadoon seems to me an unnecessarily complicated business when the same result (discouraging those sellers) could be more easily achieved. I am completely unconvinced that eBay have such a reason to undertake this in this way.

3. Well then, could we assume eBay isn't doing it on purpose but that it's a result of what some of the sellers concerned have been calling rolling blackouts? (i.e., due to some servers going down, server overload, etc.) - This is an explanation put forward by people who admit they don't have expert knowledge of how the internet works, how information on servers is released, etc. It assumes that listings are hosted on different servers than eBay's software, that different listings are listed on different servers, that people in Texas aren't "blocked" by the same server problems, and more. It is - I'm sorry - based on complete misunderstanding. If it were server-based, the whole "Texan" thing would be irrelevant. There's a confusion here about output and reception. The "Texan" thing is a red herring, in my view. If there ARE server-based outages and problems - which is possible - then a seller searching for his items would find them missing.

4. Thus - we could conclude it's possible there are glitches which make some listings appear and disappear. There is at least evidence that eBay's software is not exactly unfamiliar with glitches. BUT... here's the problem. None of the sellers have actually reported that their listings HAVE disappeared and appeared. Why not? Why has no seller posted that, during some 48 period in which no one bid on their items, they searched for their items and found them missing? Surely if the sellers were convinced their listings WERE missing, they'd check? But - on the contrary. OTHER EBAYERS have searched for their items and found them. So clearly the items were not missing... at least not at the time when those eBayers searched.

5. We therefore CANNOT CONCLUDE THE LISTINGS WERE MISSING. No evidence. The sellers have countless opportunities during a period in which they say their items are missing - to actually check that they are missing. The very fact that they do not say they checked makes me suspect that they have checked but didn't find the items missing. But they didn't post this because it doesn't match their suspicions... and their continuing suspicions are not based on evidence.

6. On what, then, do their suspicions rest? Well... I'll quote the opening post on the thread in question.

Here we go again. Ebay has once again turned off my selling ability. Not officially but as of the time of this post it has been exactly 2 days since my last sale. Let's do the math here. Just for the past 2 weeks I have sold 66 items for an average sale per day of 4.71. Why am I wining? Because for the past 48 hours I have had exactly 0 (ZERO) sale!!! This happenes every few weeks and because I make my living off of Ebay I don't appriciate it. Statistically there is no chance that this could happen!!! Not with a 4.71 per day sale rate!!! One day....MAYBE but 48 hours!?!? To clear it all up for everyone I have exactly 282 items up for sale at the time of this posting. I have items from A to Z and as long as Ebay does not turn me off I sell all day long. The reason for this post is to bring Ebays attention to this as per the call in help....and I quote "the only way we know there is a problem is if you post it on our discusion board and other people respond with the same problem". Why do they bother picking up the phone??? I called to tell you there is a problem. Please if there is any mathmaticians out there that could actually tell me the mathmatical possibilies of having a 4.71 per day sale rate and then nothing for 2 days.....please let me know. It has to be millions to one!! Maybe I should play the lottery since I am hitting so well with long odds. EBAY FIX THE PROBLEM!!! Fastjag1

(Bolding is mine.)

6. (continued) ... The seller Fastjag1 is clearly neither a mathematician nor a statistician. Neither is he/she an economist. This seller doesn't seem to understand that general selling trends don't guarantee day-to-day sales. This seller also doesn't understand that buying/bidding patterns change, and they can change rapidly. They can change day to day, week to week. There are long-term patterns and short-term patterns. I am sorry this seller is having difficulties with sales, but his/her assumption SOLELY ON THIS SELLING TREND that eBay is "turn[ing] off my site" is ... just not tenable. In fact, I'm staggered by it.

7. Before those US sellers continue, they need to establish whether or not their listings are indeed coming and going. They can prove this by periodically searching for each other's items and checking that the items are still showing - or alternatively not showing. This will sort out the accusation at its roots, rather than jumping to conclusions.

8. If no evidence is found of disappearing listings, then the lack of sales or bids or watchers or page visits will require another explanation. I have some possibilities:

a) Best match - it puts some listings so far down in the pecking order that at times they will be on the very last search page, which means far less visibility;
   b) Currency and global financial changes;
   c) Natural changes within an acceptable variation over a continually evolving selling pattern;
   d) Change of spending habits as the result of people's financial situation;
   e) Competitor listing strategies.

9. Well... let's not forget the possibility that the sellers in question may be right. If so, as I've suggested in point 7, they need to do some proper searching - and then they need to collect the evidence. Screenshots (with date and time) will be the best evidence. Complaints based on "my items haven't sold during 48 hours!" would be irrelevant, but hard evidence based on screenshots would not be irrelevant.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 09:25:47 PM »
so as I suspected

L O O N E Y

I can just imagine the emails she must have sent eBay for them to to threaten her with excommunication

sadly eBay forums do have their fair share of nutters

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 01:21:12 AM »
I'll chip in on this one lol

"rolling blackouts" or regional sales blocks are in some ways fact, (just how is in question) this was confirmed by an Ebay representative when I addressed it quite some time ago, they said it was occasionally necessary and attributed it to their server loads....??.

(it was also confirmed previously by an Ebay pink on the forums but disappeared pretty smartly, I saw it myself as did many others)

I also politely approached Dan the man the AU mouthpiece for Ebay when he was gracing the Ebay boards with some questions pertaining to our experiment that were in no way loony or impolite he shut me down instantly with veiled threats and was very rude, I was virtually told to shut up or else.

Several of us as sellers noticed the anomaly and conducted an experiment over a few weeks we had started noticing sales were being regionally specific IE: Suddenly all sales were only from Victoria, or QLD etc over a week or so.

We tested 3 - 4 listings each, we had several people from several different states do a search for the items in question, (some with an Ebay account some just browsing that did not own an account) funny thing was... only those living in the current apparent 'target' state could see them for at least half if not all of the listing period.

Those from other states COULD see them IF they were given a hotlink only with he exact and very precise title, this was true of all 3- 4 items, eben those with only 1 or 2 others for sale on site in very specific  uncluttered categories.

I certainly feel that there could be other contributing factors, it's just i am not sure what they could be.. what their intended purpose could be.. or why limiting some listings regionally would be in any way productive...

Who knows *shrug*

But hey, we are talking about ebay.

Disclaimer: I am not a loony LOL

They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 03:39:37 AM »
I, too, have heard of some thinking that eBay does 'filtering' of search results in order to produce a smaller answer set - and not completely overwhelm buyers - but I find that a rather curious notion.  Would reducing the answer set from 7,935 entries to 1,284 entries be helpful to the buyer?

Considering you would need a really keen buyer to get past 200 items, I can't really see that.

But I have a much simpler theory - one I can summarise in a single word:  RAIN

I would be extremely interested if there have been any studies of sales patterns against the geographical distribution of bad weather/good weather ... as defined by whether outdoor activities are undertaken or not.

It stands to reason that if people have been tucked inside for a few days they may be more likely to do a bit of surfing on the internet ... and, with successful marketing strategies, buy things.  Then, when the sun comes out, they yearn for some fresh air or finally get the chance to mow the lawn.  With less people at computers, would you not expect online sales to sag?

I know this is one observation my seller friend has made.  They just love weather that discourages outdoor activities as they seem to notice an increase in traffic .... and sales.

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 06:11:10 AM »
To: Philip Cohen
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:11 PM
Subject: EBAY FLAWS

Your experiment is excellent! I confess I used to work at ebay, years ago, I left cause I got my dream job as an IT tech at yahoo which is basically a stones throw away, but while there, i learned alot about ebay and how it really works.

But due to the disclosure and secrecy acts i signed i cant talk much about it, i think ebay knows its a broken toy that cant be fixed but they endeavor to put on this front of being in control and that everything is ok, the reality is ebay is a very disorganized and disjointed place and many times the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

I am more than sure you are not done running experiments on ebay, so allow me the privilege of pointing you in the right direction, ebay has two main flaws that i kept continually hearing about while i was there, the first is, the anonymous reporting system, it is used to get auctions of competitors canceled, for example if i am selling a widget and you are selling a widget at a better price or lower price, it is very customary for one seller to report the other and make the claim that the item the other seller is a counterfeit, ebay will naturally halt the auction of the party reported on, leaving the other seller as the only game in town so to speak, the second flaw of ebay that they will never admit to, is they protect the powersellers over the regular sellers.

if you a powerseller and then a regular seller, and you look at the items they sell, pick any item you like and report it as a counterfeit to the trust and safety depart and i guarantee you the only auction that will be removed is the regular seller, its the hypocrisy that always bothered me about ebay, but try it sometime for yourself and you shall see that i am right, the powerseller will never have an auction removed but the regular seller will wind up with a strike and eventually put out of business

thanks for your article and experiment, i am just glad i dont work there anymore, at first i saw it as a blessing when i got the job but it quickly turned into a nightmare cause of all the shite you have to put up with or look the other way over and act as if you did not see it. and i was just a lowly IT tech who just kept their system running.

j

Does "No touchy Jacky Sheng" ring a bell?

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 06:31:00 AM »
Apart from our blinkered eBay gatekeeper who usually does no more than aggregate much of what is useless PR nonsense much of which has originated from the eBay Dept of Spin, and apparently thinks that everything is OK at eBay, a few others are actually aware of what is really going on at eBay (or what is not going on at eBay, to be more precise). Then, if I recall correctly, our eBay PR aggregator does not believe that eBay knowingly, and deliberately, aids and abets auction shill bidding wire fraud on its naïve and trusting users. So, I guess there is absolutely no chance that he will believe other than that everything is kosher at eBay. And, heaven forbid, I should editorialize about what is wrong with eBay …

The eBay Marketplace is continuing on its journey down the toilet because eBay is run by a group of totally immoral and clueless headless turkeys who would sell their mothers for 10c. The people making the decisions at eBay are a gaggle of  arrogant, ignorant, incompetent, disingenuous, unscrupulous—indeed criminal—sociopaths. You cannot believe a word that comes out of the mouth of anyone in the employ of eBay: they are habitual liars either by nature or by script. It may well be that many of the executives running other publicly listed companies could be likewise described: it’s just usually never so obvious as it is at eBay.

It was clear that eBay had become bandwidth- or server-limited shortly after April Fools Day 2010. Which simply indicates that eBay did not well plan the store-to-core change and/or the move to the new Utah data center—so, what’s new? They probably forgot to ask the local telco if there was any fiber optic in the street outside the planned new data center: I imagine it could be a bit limiting trying to stuff such large amounts of data down a single primitive twisted copper pair.

But, no, seriously, I agree with Brum6y, the worldwide variations in the geographic sources of sales, when sellers are getting sales, are more likely caused by the rain. And, indeed, that is precisely the sort of inane reason that eBay would most likely offer, and believing, as they obviously do, their users to be such stupid people, would expect you to believe.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 12:55:48 PM »
I think this eBay expose needs to be brought to the attention of the media

after all the evidence is so damming

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 04:32:01 PM »
I think this eBay expose needs to be brought to the attention of the media

after all the evidence is so damming

We actually approached 2 of the current affairs programs and they were not in the slightest bit interested  ;D

I see the point of the geographical sales patterns being attributed to weather would be without a doubt a factor, the bit I don't understand is why did the listings in our experiment not show at all, period for those outside the geographical hotspot?    Odd!
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 04:45:56 PM »
the bit I don't understand is why did the listings in our experiment not show at all, period for those outside the geographical hotspot?    Odd!

I am interested if you ever run this experiment again.

It could be a software bug. It could be database problem. It could be anything apart from human. I know I have this similar problem at work with our old Oracle database. It is random error and somehow a very small part of a database table seems corrupted. How could this happen? I don't know. The table contain just a little over a million record, an extremely tiny size compared to giant database.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 08:26:34 PM »
Yes, Liisa, I am curious about your experiment observations as well.  The thing is, it would take a very organised effort to capture the type of proof necessary to make the point unambiguous - otherwise, as Philip has said, eBay could fob it off easily.

If the problem was taken up by eBay, then the level of detail required to be useful will likely translate into a logistical impossibility - with co-ordination and certainty of data accuracy and completeness necessary for debugging becoming difficult for those not technically inclined.  Murphy's Law will assure that these people will have the critical examples.

There are certainly going to be a whole range of factors influencing traffic and sales - from the aforementioned rain with maybe some flooding thrown in, earthquake, political uncertainty - including budget and interest rates, factors affecting job security, particularly for a prominent industry in an area ... and so on.

Unfortunately, eBay is at the focus point of addressing either of these issues... they run the servers for any testing to be monitored ... and they have an absolutely immense quantity of information on traffic and sales that could be analysed - presuming all the 'external factors' like weather, politics, the local 'Show', etc. are identified and encoded.  The result would be a database that could be put into one of the various 'hypercube' style analysis tools to be sliced and diced in all manner of ways to find trends and correlations.

There are a couple of problems, though.

The first is that such a database would be truly massive. Finding the space to store it would be a challenge - and that's the easy part.  You then have to load it, which is not a trivial task, before you can start analysing ..... and the computer power required for that to be done in anything approaching a usable response time would be something else.

The second is eBay don't have any real incentive.  They can simply ignore it - especially if the phenomenon is temporary - and hand out dismissive comment ... which is what they do.

As has been mentioned above, you must question whether those in the position to manipulate the information would be competent to do so.  After a number of decades in the IT industry, my observations question not just the technical competency, but also the management of those technical resources.

It is a commercial reality that not all software or systems are 100% when they go into production, but they should at least be stable enough for the occasional problems to be dealt with.  Poor design, coding, testing, etc. result in ongoing 'fire-fighting' where resources are repeatedly called upon to fix problem after problem after problem.

I'm only guessing here, but I expect there are some pretty busy fire-fighters in the eBay IT department....

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 03:44:58 PM »
Be assured that eBay knows all about these "geographical exposure problems". I have no doubt that they created them, deliberately; be also assured that eBay is not in the least interested in hearing from you about these problems.

Nevertheless, the selective geographical expose of listings by eBay is undoubtedly real and possibly has more to do with server or bandwidth limitations than a deliberate mechanism to disadvantage other than diamond sellers. But then who knows just what is going on in the minds of these headless turkeys? Not I, for sure. But if I had to make a guess, I would say, absolutely nothing.

In the meantime, just one of the many threads from the US forums:

“EBAY STOP TURNING OFF MY SITE!!!”
http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Technical-Issues/Ebay-Stop-Turning/5100000483?forumID=87&

If you want someone to listen to your story and possibly bring the “evil empire” to heel you had best refer your concerns about eBay’s fraud on you (and you might also mention their criminal facilitating of auction shill bidding fraud on your buyers) to I know not who as all the consumer affairs regulators in this country are pretty well useless.

All a merchant needs to know about the clunky PayPal, at:
http://forums.auctionbytes.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=165263

What buyers should know about the criminal activities of eBay, at:
http://forums.auctionbytes.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23540