Author Topic: I've just been buying...  (Read 9608 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
I've just been buying...
« on: May 14, 2011, 06:12:41 PM »
... Russian DVDs.

(Three on eBay, 62 elsewhere.)

Most have English subtitles, and those that don't - well - I'll have my Russian dictionary to hand to help when a word I don't know comes around.

I suppose four years ago I'd have bought all 65 titles on eBay, but I've now found so many online sites that offer a better range of titles. It's especially important if you're in the mood for browsing rather than searching. You want titles to jump out at you as you casually drift through what's available, rather than go looking painstakingly for specific titles.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Re: I've just been buying...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 02:22:36 PM »

:lol:
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

Poddy

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 07:53:03 PM »
Tessa, if in your travels or perhaps you have a movie called the Barber of Siberia.

I would need subtitles though my Russian is limited to a few words, mostly naughty ones hahaha

Vodka is one that springs to mind, and babushka :)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 10:10:46 PM »
That was one of the films I considered, but discarded, Poddy. I could still get hold of it for you if you wanted that film.

The Russians do make fantastic films. Have you ever seen the Russian film version of "Hamlet"? It's all very "every one is watching me"-ish - so much like Soviet spies...
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 10:57:34 PM »

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 11:21:31 PM »
I've just been buying some DVDs for my father's forthcoming birthday.

Dutch films, including that classic thriller Spoorloos. I decided to buy on eBay for these rather than to look at other online sites.

Like many foreign language films of qaality, this one too was hijacked and remade in an English language version some years later. The remake was not particularly well received; the original is still considered outstanding and unforgettable.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 01:48:58 PM »
Aha!

I just sniped (and won) an antique silver seal.

From henceforeth, my correspondence shall be sealed with wax imprinted with this seal, and if I'm feeling very loquacious seal-wise, I will also imprint the cylinder part of it.

Now I should decide on which colour sealing wax to use. Red, probably - perhaps black?

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 02:25:23 PM »

Now I should decide on which colour sealing wax to use. Red, probably - perhaps black?

Teal?

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 12:34:08 AM »
Aha!

I just sniped (and won) an antique silver seal.

From henceforeth, my correspondence shall be sealed with wax imprinted with this seal, and if I'm feeling very loquacious seal-wise, I will also imprint the cylinder part of it.

Lovely item Tess,

perhaps this will help if you head down the DIY sealing wax route ;)

Here's a couple of English recipes from around 1900
They're taken from the Newcastle Northern Echo's booklet, "300 Secret Trade Recipes"

Black Sealing Wax

3/4lb best black resin,
1/4lb finely powdered ivory black
and 2 oz beeswax.

Melt over a slow fire and form into sticks by rolling on a piece of glass.

Red Sealing Wax

1lb shellac,
3/4lb vermillion or venetian red,
and 5 oz Venice turpentine.  (Real Turpentine derived from trees not petrochemical)

When melting any flammable waxes, use of a double boiler is recommended. Certainly a "slow fire", or any source of open fire isn't recommended. Personally I use a thermostatically controlled electric hotplate.

Source: (lots of further interesting links and literature on seals and sealing wax)
http://www.codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/recipes/sealingwax.htm

I do love this recipe though lol

John Partrige, The Treasurie of Commodious Conceipts and Hidden Secrets, 1573

To make red sealyng wax.

Take one pound of Wax .iii. ounces of cleare Tyrpentyne in Sommer, in Winter take fowre: melte them together with a soft fyre: Then take it from the fire and let it coole: Then put in Uermylion berye fynely grounde, and Salet Oyle, of each an ounce, and mix them well together, and it is perfect good.

They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 09:49:39 AM »

Teal?

Cheeky.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 10:03:13 AM »
Oh, Liisa, those recipes are wonderful! And it would be in such keeping with having an item of this provenance, too.

I'll buy some sealing wax first, but give these recipes a try as well.

(Note to self: http://www.codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/recipes/sealingwax.htm)

A bit of searching, and I note both venetian red and ivory black are artists' pigments, and I should have no trouble getting them from an artists' supply shop.

How shall I come by black resin? Can I use the rosin which violinists use on their bows instead? Or is it something different? Where can I obtain it?

Whence shall come my Venice Turpentine? What, i' faith, is it? - Will ordinary turpentine do? I note that the sealing wax recipe talks about "real" turpentine available from woodworking supplier - ditto for flakes of shellac.

This could be quite a challenge.

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »
Tess,

This Tasmanian company seems to have a lovely selection of sealing waxes in a huge variety of colours. http://www.waxseals.com.au/waxseals.htm

Venice Turpentine is a yellowish, viscous resin from the European Larch, a pine tree.  It is used for lithographic work, as a sealing wax, and in varnishes.  Horsemen have used it for years as a salve for cuts and as a hoof dressing. It IS a type of turpentine, but it has drying and hardening properties, it is used by many farmers to harden horses hooves and dry them out out.

You cannot use the everyday petro chemical turpentine.

I did find it for sale here as an artists supply by Sennelier! http://www.dickblick.com/products/sennelier-venice-turpentine/

Black resin was at least at one point in history actually bitumen, and lamp black, you can use fresh pine resin after you have let it 'cure' for a year LOL

These days, Black sealing-wax is composed of gum-lac, or shell-lac, melted with one-half or one-third of its weight of levigated ivory-black. To prevent the composition from becoming too brittle, Venice turpentine, in the proportion of two-thirds of the above ingredients, is usually added; as it likewise contributes to improve the beauty of the manufacture. These substances being melted, and properly stirred over a slow fire, the liquid is next poured upon an iron plate, or stone, previously oiled ; and, while soft, it must be rolled into sticks; which are then exposed to heat, till they acquire a glossy surface.

The Ettiquette of sealing wax. ( An interesting note on the appropriate use of colours also)

1840's
It showed a lack of respect if you used a wafer to seal your envelope.

Men usually used red.

Ladies used gilt, rose, and other colors.

Source and more information here: http://www.victorianpassage.com/2009/07/unfolding_the_mysteries_of_sea.php

When in mourning you used black seals.

When writing to someone in mourning you used black edged paper and a black seal.

Using red sealing wax when writing to someone in mourning was considered rudeness or ignorance.

Large seals were considered bad taste.

The smaller and glossier the better.

A small letter gets one seal, a larger letter two.

If it contains important paper or documents it should receive three or more, according to the size of envelope.

If using a person to carry a letter as a favor, it was rude to add more than one seal.

If your letter was folded in a manner that partly opened it at the end, its contents being able to be read, then it was impolite to put a little wax upon the edges. Only when sent by post or by domestic would this be acceptable.

When not using an envelope and the third part of the letter is written upon you would have left a small blank space where the seal was to be put so as to not cover over any words of the letter.

When staying overnight, and so as to not trouble your hostess, always carry a well furnished paper-case, pens, pencil, India-rubber, wafers, sealing-wax, and seals.

They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
I pooh-pooh the red embargo and I WILL have red!  :hunchback: :feminist: :evil:

But I will also try the gold.

http://waxsealshop.myshopify.com/products/j-herbin-favourite-sealing-wax-with-a-wick

http://www.customwaxnseals.com/sealingwax.html

Both the above have absolutely gorgeous sealing waxes.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 06:20:05 PM »
if those suppliers get on your wick
here is a link to one in Hawthorn ....only 4 bucks a stick at the moment

http://www.papermarc.com.au/flexiwax-sealing-wax-sticks-red-p-1092.html