Author Topic: Returns Policy for eBay listings  (Read 8020 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Returns Policy for eBay listings
« on: March 08, 2011, 04:29:57 PM »
All eBay listings have to include a Return/No Returns Policy effective from May 2011.

I have been working on the wording and would like everyone's opinions. Is it too much?

We aim to provide the best quality items and excellent customer service. If you are not happy with your purchase please contact us as soon as possible and we may be able to arrange an exchange or refund.

For defective or wrong items received : Please contact us within 7 days of receipt of your items. If we request goods to be returned they must be unused/unopened and with original packaging. We will pay all shipping costs.

For clothing purchased in the wrong size : We may accept exchange of sizes subject to our stock availability. If accepted, the buyer must return the item at their own expense. Any items returned must be in original condition, not worn or washed, and with original tags and packing. The buyer also needs to pay the shipping and handling fee as advertised in our listing for re-sending the new item. For items advertised with free shipping, the buyer will be charged the actual shipping costs for re-sending.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Returns Policy for eBay listings
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 04:37:29 PM »
That sounds very clear and very fair.

I don't think it's too wordy.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:51:04 PM »
interesting how different people see things from a different point of view

I thought it was WAY too wordy

here's mine ... I have been using it for several years now without issue

Item must be returned within
7 days after the buyer receives it

100% Customer Satisfaction - Money Back Guarantee

Goods must be return in resalable condition and must have all tags - labels - packaging etc still attached

The full purchase price will be refunded this does not included any postage or handling costs

Please contact at once to arrange return & refund

in the extremely rare event where it was a mistake on my part I cover all postage costs

say for example they buy the wrong size or colour and they want to do a swap I get them to pay the postage back to me and I cover the postage back to them

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 06:18:09 PM »
Don't worry bnwt, I thought it was too much as well. We try to keep listing descriptions as simple as possible I wanted to do the same with the Returns policy. I've been looking through heaps of sellers Returns Policies to get some ideas but I hadn't looked at yours. They seem to range from totally over the top rules and regulations to some that just say 'No Returns' or 'Money back if returned within 7 days'. I was trying to find a middle ground. I'll have another look at it later.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:39:31 PM »
I like longer paragraphs... (as you can tell from my posts!), but not so long as to constipate the listing.

Perhaps if you compressed it a little, like this?

REFUND POLICY

For defective or wrong items received: please contact us within 7 days of receipt of your items. Returns must be unused/unopened and with original packaging. (Postage cost is fully refundable for defective/wrong items.)

For clothing purchased in the wrong size: we may accept exchange of sizes subject to our stock availability. Returns must be in original condition, not worn or washed, and with original tags and packing. Postage cost will be the responsibility of the buyer.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

golden

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 06:53:09 PM »
WHEELS IS A GOOD GIRL.  NOTHING WILL GO WRONG.

Got a problem? Read the small print flocker or sign up for OZRT, we'll fit you out with a new T_shirt

I like longer paragraphs... (as you can tell from my posts!), but not so long as to constipate the members.

Obviously things are a changing... I feel the vibe.  lol,

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 07:14:05 PM »
OK, how about this

We aim to provide the best quality items and excellent customer service.

If you are not happy with your purchase please email us within 7 days of receipt of your items to discuss an exchange or refund. We will pay all shipping costs if you have received defective or incorrect items.

Any items returned must be in original saleable condition and with original tags and packaging intact. Buyer pays all return shipping costs.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 07:16:47 PM »
Ahh Countessa, I should have read your post. That looks good!

It is difficult to keep it brief because of the different nature of the stuff that we sell. The collectable Lego loses its value if there is a mark or a dent in the box. We have size measurements in all the cycling clothing and so far there has been no requests for exchange for incorrect sizes.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 07:19:38 PM »
And it won't really be filling up the listing - it is to go into the Returns Policy box. I don't know how many buyers even click on Postage and Returns to read that stuff anyway. I know I don't, unless the seller hasn't included anything about postage in the main part of the listing.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »
Try again ... Hopefully this will cover all listings so we don't need to worry about having different policies for different products.

RETURN POLICY

Item must be returned within:
  7 days after the buyer receives it

Refund will be given as:
Exchange

Return Policy Details:

Exchange or Refund including return postage if an item is not as described or faulty.

NO Returns on New in Box Lego sets.

For clothing purchased in the wrong size : We may accept exchange subject to stock availability. Returns must be in original saleable condition, not worn or washed, and with original tags and packaging. Postage costs will be the responsibility of the buyer.

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 09:59:37 PM »
Nicely written. ;D

Item must be returned within:  7 days after the buyer receives it

May I ask couple of questions here.

1. How do you tell when was the date the buyer received your item?

2. How do the buyer proves that he/she actually return the item within 7 days?

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
I can't Low.

The only options on eBay are 3,7,14,30 or 60.

I think 7 is the most reasonable. Any returns would have to be sent by trackable post.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 08:23:05 AM »
I think you have covered it well Wheelie.  Yes it does make it more difficult when selling diverse types of products, but I think you've got it.
:duckling:

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 11:44:23 AM »
What bothers me is if a buyer makes a 'claim'  of any description despite being denied a refund from a Seller because it was a Buyer error, is that EBay will just refund them anyway regardless of any 'Seller return policy' the seller might have in place as EBay/paypal have their own 'return policy', so what is the point in making sellers fill out a return policy?

We have all seen it time after time, buyer buys an item.... it doesn't fit/wrong colour, was not what they thought, did not read the listing properly etc, definitely not the sellers fault in any way in such cases and yet, Paypal simply tell the buyer to return the item for a full refund regardless.

So any specific Seller 'no return policy are deemed null and void, so HOW are sellers going to enforce their 'Returns policy' without EBay/Paypal overturning them?

Especially a seller that simply states 'no returns'.. it's pointless.
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 11:49:14 AM »
It could be taken up further by the seller if that happens on large-value items. If the money is taken as a result of a claim (when the seller states "No refund for change of mind"), I could see sellers lodging a complaint with the Ombudsman.

It still won't stop buyers from being refunded for change of mind, though - and it's more work for the sellers in that case, too.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 12:13:26 PM »
I agree, but from May listings on eBay will be cancelled if there isn't any Returns Policy in place.

Sellers though cannot get away with a No Returns policy if the product is defective or not fit for it's advertised use or whatever the words are on the Consumer Affairs site.

And if eBay Aus search is made the same as ebay.com then buyers can actually filter out sellers who tick the box No Returns.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 01:13:30 PM »
Yes, I agree it is POINTLESS having sellers agree to comply with the Competition and Consumer Act 2010. They've got to, anyway!

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 01:55:29 PM »
Err. Is every buyer, particularly overseas buyer, aware of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010?

My guess maybe somewhat unlikely.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 12:06:30 AM »
06 June 2011 | 11:43AM EST

In February we announced that inclusions for handling time and returns would be mandatory in listings from May 2011. This has now been delayed until August 2011. More information will follow in relation to the date that these details will become mandatory. In the meantime we would encourage sellers who do not yet include handling time and/or a returns policy in listings to include this information to help better manage buyers’ expectations.

Regards,
The eBay Team

pra666

• Knight of the RT
    • The Sand Pit
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 07:43:07 AM »
I just state on my listings

Money will be refunded if item is returned in the same container within 14 days, but please contact me first.

That is the same wording I've had for about 5 years.
[I haven't actually had any returns while selling on my own ebay id. I have had two at work. One was my fault as I'd missed that a coin was artificially coloured. I refunded payment plus postage plus extra to cover the customer's cost in sending the item back. The other was one of those rare nightmare purchases where the buyer has bought an item purely to cause trouble. I refused to cover the return postage on that one].

The paypal problem I have solved by not offering paypal as a payment method.