The Oz Round Table boards > WELCOME! Rules & Guidelines (read before posting) + Tech Announcements

Forum was down

<< < (3/30) > >>

*CountessA*:
The migration to the new servers gave us another hiccup.

The ISP has cached the new DNS information now, and we should be all right from here on in.

My apologies for this very frustrating hiatus.

*Ubbie Max*:
Oh. I thought that could have been the problem, :crazy: lol. I haven't got a clue what it all means.

Were the migrants at fault. Were they illegals?

What's a tapeworm got to do with it? hold on, a hiatus is a hernia, isn't it?

*CountessA*:
I'll try to explain it in every day terms.

The actual address of the website changed, by being moved to another server. Because of that, website browsers couldn't find where it was any longer.

It's equivalent in a way to hopping into a taxi and telling the driver to take you to a particular hotel, only to find when you get there that there's nothing but rubble. You rub your eyes, and insist, "But this is where it was! I've got the address right here on this card!" The taxi driver doesn't know where the hotel is... and only when finally a correct Yellow Pages is released can you find the hotel in its new location.

When the hosting server of the website caches the Domain Name Server information, that's the equivalent of publishing the new information. FINALLY web browsers can access the site again!

*Ubbie Max*:
Ah, got it now, thanks Countess.

*CountessA*:
Some members have reported continuing problems, which I think may be related to their needing to flush their computer's DNS cache.

There's a page which explains how to do this here.

1. Click onto Start.
2. Click onto Run.
3. Type the following command:
    C:\>ipconfig /flushdns
4. You may also need to clear your browser cache (Tools>>Clear Recent History - and make sure you tick "Cache").
5. You may then also need to restart your computer.
6. Then try accessing here again.

Can I ask that anyone who knows of someone having difficulty accessing this site passes on this information, and lets me know whether it's solved the problem?

Thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version