Author Topic: Hello to our Hobart Hacker  (Read 28091 times)

ernest_price

Hello to our Hobart Hacker
« on: August 08, 2009, 01:34:25 PM »
Must be quite concerning for you.

Thanks for the IP Address 124.179.XXX.XXX ;D

Your ISP has been notified at abuse@bigpond.net.au

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
Re: Hello to our Hobart Hacker
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 01:39:55 PM »
You received one of these too ernest????? Isn't it wonderful to not be alone!!! (Appears as same IP)

cueperkins

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
Hi...can you two message admin if the hacking attempt is associated with this site...ta !

Poddy

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 01:48:50 PM »
I too received one, it is for a password reminder request.

Here are the results of the Trace ran on that IP

Name: cpe-124-179-xxx-x.vic.bigpond.net.au
IP Address: 124.179.xxx.x

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 01:53:28 PM »
How are you Cupie!

Have already done so - and thankyou! :choc: :coffeecup:

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 01:55:25 PM »
Any member who has had the same hack attempt is entitled to report this abuse to the Internet Service Provider of the abuser. This will ensure that the attempted hacker will be held accountable.

Ernest's post includes the email address to which all such abuse should be directed. Let me know if any of the admin team can be of help.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

cueperkins

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 01:57:42 PM »
Howdi "R".....cretons aren't they?  like gatecrashers at a party !!

currymuncher

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 02:01:52 PM »
yes I recieved it as well ,thought it seemed rather strange ,I sent a reply saying that I didn't apply the forgot password function before I saw this post 

ernest_price

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 02:02:26 PM »
As Poddy has done, it's best not to post the full IP address.

The IP address and associated account may be leased to an innocent party such as son, daughter, mother, father, solicitor. We wouldn't want any DOS style reprisals.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 02:11:35 PM »
Tickets are now on SALE at TelloTix.com .

First come, first served. How is Life unfair like that????
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 02:18:54 PM »
Howdi "R".....cretons aren't they?  like gatecrashers at a party !!

I suppose it depends how you look at it........ this is a good place.... maybe the person doesn't know how to register????

AND......... WE'VE GOT A TELLO! How unique is that!!! What we call a 'drawcard'! (I can see him thinking..... "How can I earn a buck out of this!) ;D

G'day Tello..... didn't see you hiding there. ;D

cueperkins

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 02:26:53 PM »
lmao....yeah ok...hehehehe

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 03:49:37 PM »
I have had two of those today. Re "forgotten password" for Oz Round Table. Reported both as phishing.Is that okay?

Also sent a mail to admin.earlier.
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 03:56:49 PM »
The thing to do is to email Bigpond with a report, along these lines:

abuse@bigpond.net.au (You will need to send the report to this email address)

To Whom It May Concern

I wish to report an attempt to hack my account on a forum, emanating from the IP Address 124.179.XXX.XXX, at [time]. I received an email notification that the hack attempt was made. (Please let me know if you wish me to forward the original email to you, including headers.) I request that you take action against the account involved in this hack attempt.

You may reach me for further details (if required) at my email address [email].

Yours faithfully,
[name]

Of course, use the exact IP address involved when you make this complaint. Also include the time and date of the hack attempt.

This is the only way in which to ensure that the situation is properly dealt with.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Poddy

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 03:58:41 PM »
May I just reiterate the need to have strong passwords.

If your pasword is weak please change it.

The attempts at password guessing are designed more to be a disrupton than anything else in my opinion.

Usually they are a precurser to more desruptive bahavior, they act as a warning that something is afoot.

Sad really

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 04:26:51 PM »
I had that happen in the early stages and reported it to the persons ISP and posted incedent here.
it didnt happen again  :brickpile:

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 04:46:16 PM »
night-hawk I have now sent an email and forwarded the two emails I received to the abuse@bigpond.net.au address.

“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 04:48:54 PM »
Hopefully they get a very blut warning from bigpuddle or even their interenet suspended.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 05:40:18 PM »
I have my toes crossed ;D

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 07:19:40 PM »
I got one too

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 07:32:50 PM »
Ditto
Sent: Saturday, 8 August 2009 1:23:11 PM
Also reported to Telstra Internet.

Location of IP looks nice and green :) and I am not referring to The Telstra office lol, some of us can find out more than they think.
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

ernest_price

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2009, 08:11:34 PM »
Liisa - let's just say I like Launceston ;D

Especially the south - Scotch Oakburn Park is nice this time of year :)

My initial Hobart comment in the Topic was from a 30 second check. Forgot that the main line goes Hobart/Devonport/Melbourne VIA Launceston. Took 2 minutes to do the proper check.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 08:19:51 PM »
I didn't get one.    :'(
:duckling:

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2009, 08:25:58 PM »
Don't feel left out fluffy :rose: Would you like me to send you a copy of mine????

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2009, 09:17:33 PM »
Poor little neglected fluffy :'(...I will give you a big pat  :console:

and I could send you copies of mine   :devil:

but better not  :roflmao:

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2009, 09:22:45 PM »
Thanks R2D2.  Very kind of you, but it won't be necessary.   Your kind thoughts are appreciated.   :-*

Centuries.  Thank you also.  Umm I do have a little request for you though.  I don't like pats.  They make me feel, well like an animal or something.
 :rofl: :neener: :quack:

All kisses and hugs welcome though.   :kisshug:

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2009, 09:39:59 PM »
 :pmsl: Here you are fluffy :green:

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2009, 09:48:43 PM »
The hug was real nice Centuries, but I prefer a little less tongue - at least until we get to know each other better.   ;D

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2009, 09:55:58 PM »
I didn't get one.    :'(

me either Fluffy ,

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2009, 10:13:15 PM »
Poor Smee.  I know how you feel.   :kisshug:

Hey Centuries, you've changed your avatar again.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2009, 10:37:06 PM »
I am in the process of seeing which I dislike the least fluffy. An arduous task. I hope it is not too much ;D :devil:

kisses for fluffy sans tongue :green:

Smee

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
Yib may be able to help Centuries.  He found my latest one.

Thanks for the adjusted kiss.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2009, 12:34:52 AM »
Yib is very kind and did help by sending me a link but it is me ....can't seem to find something ..But I will. Something will hit me in the eye . I am spending far too much time browsing and not doing other 'real life' things

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2009, 10:16:55 AM »
I've been left out ...... Again

**sobbing quietly in the dark corner**

Interestingly, I live in Launceston, and when I have done checks on my own IP address, it has shown up as Hobart, and a place in the East lauceston / Norwood area.. But nothing closer than a couple of kms

:wine:
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2009, 10:34:40 AM »
The IP checker can be wildly inaccurate.

I tried it once to see what my IP would show....and it came up with some place in Sydney!

I'm in Melbourne!

It was explained to me that it has something to do with your ISP....and what route it takes to work...or something like that...lol

Too techie for me...but I do know that it can't be relied on.

ernest_price

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
You are correct that accuracy depends on your ISP. Those with a Satellite one way and wired the other you can forget about. Those with other ISP's it's hit and miss. Those who are bigpond customers it's much more accurate.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2009, 12:56:02 PM »
Definitely - it does depend on a number of factors. Sometimes people doing nasty things online believe that they are hidden from view while they hurl their bad behaviour around. Their belief is not always justified.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2009, 01:41:53 PM »
A suggestion - change your board ID to something different to your user ID. I haven't had any password attempts since I did this.

goto Profile menu > Account Related Settings

If visitors are curious to see more of the forum, why don't you just sign up to be a member? This forum welcomes new members and is open to anyone who wishes to join provided you follow posting guidelines.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2009, 01:53:56 PM »
And, Centuries, love your new avatar! How do you keep finding pics that look like me?

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2009, 10:34:01 PM »
Awwww I was left out too!

Good thing really, as we only got back today.

Wonder why ppl do this? If they want to know what is happening on our forum, all they have to do is join!

ernest_price

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 10:25:35 PM »
All I could get out of Bigpond today is that they have investigated, confirmed multiple reports and will be contacting the owner of the account next few days. They refuse to talk about it past that due to telecommunications privacy. The person I spoke to seemed to be doing me a favour by even discussing it to that point.

She did joke about how it will probably be blamed on "the teen son was just stupidly playing around as an l33t h@X0r and I'll make sure he doesn't do it again".

I suspect the abuse team have heard it all. Cats are often blamed also, apparently.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2009, 01:45:46 AM »
This poor Hobart Hacker probably has a few other things about which to worry than l33t h@X0r c@ts.

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2009, 01:16:03 AM »
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

bobbybigbear

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2009, 07:19:01 AM »
Privacy Laws only protect the guilty in this country, you have buckley's of getting any action.
If somebody gets your prime IP address, and they are computer savvy, they can use that number to make it appear you are sending emails or spamming, or any other corrupt dealings on the internet.
IP tracking is also not all that useful, as it can be so easily manipulated.
Most trolls have cheap dial up accounts, and dial interstate log on numbers and their IP appears to come from that state.
Because all the major Telco's re route to cope with traffic loads, the trace can bounce world wide, to servers in the US and back to another state here. Trolls use proxy servers where there are no records kept, such as weather stations, and known IP altering programmes like Hide my IP, are easily bought cheaply.

We had a case of knowing someone was going to try to hack our site, and watched them on the panel. Because the person was a banned member and their IP (fixed) was banned, we learned they were going to use another persons computer, so after to days of recording the IP, exact times and date, we sent all the detail off to the ISP, and got told to basically bu***r off.
It does seem that when it comes to invading our privacy, others have a free reign as those laws work against us to protect them.

If you complain to Twitter, they tell you they only accept complaints from official Law Enforcement or the Legal Fraternity.

If you are being trolled on Ebay, and ask who is watching your auctions in their favourites, they wont tell you, it's against their privacy policy.

While it's a wonderful thing to respect others privacy, it works in favour of the criminals and against honest people.

Good to see the Cops are playing the role of children to catch scum who prey on them.
But did they break any privacy laws....? ;D

Funny thing about Telstra, When my wife was phoned and threatend by trolls, they said they couldn't do anything about finding out who it was, but when I said " Yes you can, because our phone number appears on someones account for the phone calls they made, and it was a simple matter of reverse tracing ", the line went dead.

We are all victims of a system that protects those who push the envelope until they are caught read handed, but even then, privacy laws still protect them.

ernest_price

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2009, 08:37:17 AM »
Luckily this one is a lot simpler  :-X

bobbybigbear

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2009, 09:30:22 AM »
I agree, if it was a pro, all you would of got was an IP from Limestone in the US, or any of the other thousands they use.

ernest_price

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2009, 09:45:56 AM »
Liisa - love the piccie. It may even be a real picture of our Lonnie Moggie. :)

Be good if we did have someone from Hobart chip in also - then we could call them our Hobart Hairball!  ;D

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2009, 12:11:26 PM »
IP tracing can be more or less successful depending on a number of factors.

It's also fascinating to note that very specific location information can be obtained when the person is breaking serious laws. This information will of course only be pursued in those very serious instances.

However, just as a general statement, people using proxy servers are not as anonymous as they'd like to be - if they're engaged in breaking the law and if law enforcement is eager to "eliminate them from their enquiries"...

ernest_price

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2009, 12:16:14 PM »
Again of interest - in the last few years harassment has broken it's way from little league to more serious stuff now. I suspect a few people don't realise that.

bobbybigbear

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2009, 12:20:41 PM »
Depends on what Proxy they are using, transparent ones can be traced, however others are impossible, unless you know the source computer, and then it is not enough evidence to convict, the hardrive will only show you logged into that particular proxy, along with another million people worldwide at any given time. The problem is that by the time Police track the the IP to the source, or raid premises, the hard drive is gone or been completely washed.

I could sign out and sign back in, and you could never track me down unless I sign in with my ID, and that's why Police have such a hard time.  Most child pornographers never get caught unless they use their personal information or a credit card to join a site.

Most of the Trolls on the internet know how to use these tools, because I suspect, as does my son ( who is a cop ) that they indulge in those sites as well.