Author Topic: How many Negs before a PowerSeller is made NARU?  (Read 21744 times)

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
Re: How many Negs before a PowerSeller is made NARU?
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2009, 09:41:10 AM »
Yes fluffy.... I have. But talk about a battle over nearly three months!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2009, 11:55:27 AM »
Get BNWT to tell the story of his battle with PayPal re an allegedly damaged wallet.

BNWT did not take PayPal's decision lying down. No - it was off to the Ombudsman to submit a claim against PayPal, and the claim was successful.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2009, 02:53:19 PM »
Finally, an email from the seller ..

Outpost Media Deal Update

December 9, 2009

Listen, I am really sorry for this very delinquent email.  Our accounts (White Elephant Media, Outpost Media Deals, Mediamusement and Moon Base Media) were closed November 18th by eBay we have been locked out of our PayPal account, too.  Today at 3:32 PM we finally received over 85,000 email addresses that have accumulated since then that we did not have access to.  We're sorry, we had to get some special programming done by a third party company to just get your email address, we don't have the actual message.  And we're having to use another third party company to send you this update.

Anyhow, the short version is we are officially out of business.  We are not going to be able to ship.  EBay/PayPal seized over a quarter of million dollars of our money and it is available for you to get a refund.  You can process your refund through their resolution center.

We don't have the product to ship in house, nor do we have available funds to refund any payments.  For a more thorough explanation please go to our website at http://www.whiteelephantmedia.com

Also, I want to point out we have had to lay off almost everyone, over 20 workers.  We don't have anyone available to answer your questions or respond to emails.  Again we apologize.  I know we have terrible feedback right now, but Ebay shut us down without reason, and we had great feedback before they took this action.  We were in our 6th year of business, with more than half a million positive feedbacks across our four user IDs.

If EBay/PayPal has ever closed a business of yours or someone you know, please let us know.  There is a definite pattern.  Please email us at ebay@whiteelephantmedia.com and put "VICTIM" as the subject line. 

Additionally, many of you made payments since November 18th and some of you are still being billed by EBay/PayPal.  DO NOT PAY THEM - We don't know who is collecting that money but it isn't us.  We don't have any product on site to ship.  No payment should have been processed after Nov.  18th - period!  Other EBay sellers have had similar problems as early as 2006; for whatever reason EBay has refused to change this policy see linked article - http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y06/m10/i06/s03

If you did pay after Nov 18th, please contact us at ebay@whiteelephantmedia.com and put "PAID AFTER 18TH" as the subject line.

Finally, thank you for your years of support.  We know this has been a terrible experience for our customers.  This has been a horrible experience for all customers, employees and suppliers.  We had everything invested in this company and it was going great, even in this terrible economy.  We still don't understand EBay's position.

Good luck, we are doing everything we can to try and see everyone gets paid back.  eBay/PayPal has a quarter million dollars of our money we can't access, so please don't hesitate to file a claim and get your money back.

If PayPal refuses or fails to pay you back please contact us at ebay@whiteelephantmedia.com and put "NO PAYPAL REFUND" as the subject line and tell us know what they said.

Sincerely,

White Elephant Media
and related brands: Outpost Media Deals, Mediamusement and Moon Base Media

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2009, 03:32:35 PM »
I can understand that White Elephant Media feels aggrieved.

I can understand the devastation resulting from being unable to trade anymore.

However, they've been disingenuous with their perception of feedback having been great, and everything in the garden being lovely prior to the demand by PayPal for this large amount of money.  :hummingbird:

They have behaved like BAD powersellers in the past; their feedback consistently has included what I consider a significant number of extremely dissatisfied customers for whom the transaction was not a delight. Judging by the feedback in the past, White Elephant Media have been selling goods they don't have in stock - they've been drop-shipping, in other words, and not even stating that in their listings.

That's not admirable behaviour in a seller. However, no doubt White Elephant Media considers they were doing pretty darned well because the negatives were swallowed up mostly by the positives. They've been inculcated within the eBay feedback society to think that this is more than adequate.

I don't think they WERE doing well. Outside eBay, consumer expectations and merchant responsibilities have to exist in the real world, which means consumer legislation as per the TPA. The number of very dissatisfied customers who'd make a complaint through THOSE channels, the real world channels, would force an investigation, and then White Elephant Media would have understood that they were not performing as required.

They should NOT have been selling items they did not have in stock.

They should NOT have been ignoring the symptoms of extreme unhappiness from so many customers.

They should NOT have gone merrily on their way, skirting from one disaster to another.

They should NOT now be thinking it is all eBay's fault.

eBay bears a significant amount of blame, though.

1. Demanding "a quarter of a million dollars" from a seller is really outrageous. I've read the justifications put forward by PayPal for this latest behaviour, and it's simply beyond belief. Businesses already operating within a very tight profit margin don't have the large percentage of the total items sold amount available as liquid funds. Outrageous, outrageous, outrageous.
2. Creating a seller culture in which drop-shipping by Powersellers is tacitly winked at is out of order. eBay must bear a great deal of blame for enabling sellers to take advantage of this winking.
3. Creating a seller culture in which lots of negatives are simply swallowed up by the large number of positives is creating a false sense of satisfaction and reliability. A great many Powersellers are floating their boat on the lake of eBay's magic numbers, and ignoring the real world expectations and requirements for customer satisfaction and protection. NOT GOOD ENOUGH... but it wouldn't be happening if eBay didn't allow it. And worse still, allowing it makes it a market edge which sellers may well feel they must take, lest they become undercut badly by their competitors. It's like seeing men thrown into an arena, told that one must tear off the other's head, because only one will be allowed to make it out alive. Who is the real killer? The bloodied winner of the arena or the brutish savages who roared in approval as they watched the "game" and put them there?
4. Allowing sellers who are insolvent or are indicating insolvency or where insolvency or inability to continue trading may be suspected is appalling behaviour on the part of eBay. SOMEONE in eBay must bear the responsibility for either failing to notice the signs, or ignoring the signs in favour of giving the seller another chance. If eBay gives Powersellers extended chances when suspicions should justly be raised, I would expect eBay to bear the full responsibility for protecting any buyer's purchase from that seller - and I don't mean just through PayPal, either!
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2009, 03:53:44 PM »
I just checked the seller's shipping details on the item we paid for. There is NO mention that it is a pre-order.

copied from the listing:

GREAT TITLES - FAST SHIPPING!
Outpost Media Deals offers a wide selection of music, movies and video games. All at great prices and with fast shipping. If you love entertainment as much as we do you'll love our selection and service!

100% Factory Sealed Brand New
Our titles are brand new and unopened in their original packaging. We've negotiated with major licensed US manufacturers, distributors and studios to get the best deals delivered to you in the shortest time. These are the same titles you'd find in major retail stores, but at lower prices. Buy with us and save!

Please contact our customer support at help@outpostmediadeals.com

SHIPPING INFORMATION

* You will receive a total of 4 emails about your order's progress.
    * Orders usually ship 2-5 business days after payment clears.
    * 90% of all domestic orders arrive within 10 days. 99% arrive within 21 days.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2009, 03:58:47 PM »
And our order included extra payment for express shipping.

I'm sending an email to PayPal to question why it's taking so long to get a refund (I'm not holding my breath for an answer). If they are holding funds from the seller why aren't buyers getting their money back? Our sale was on 10th November.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2009, 04:21:47 PM »
Wheels, give them a call and tell them you think this has gone on long enough, and that the seller has definitely confirmed that the goods won't be supplied. What further investigation is needed?

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2009, 11:03:27 AM »
An update, seller is now NARU.

No word from PayPal, seller had until yesterday to respond., case still says "Awaiting other party's response".

PayPal customer service pfft!  :vent:

gr8-expectations

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2009, 11:10:37 AM »
frustrating wheels as in VERY hopefully the credit card thing will be faster for you rather than wait for preypal? it sucks to take that long if as the sellers says paypal have over $250,000 of their money most likely earning high interest in the overnight money markets for paypal, each day would be worth quite a bit in interest so the longer they stuff about the more they make, it sucks and shows the weakness of the system once naru the whole thing is through paypal with no contact or recourse with seller to resolve and they (ebay) are just a  venue? i  dont think so...

gr8-expectations

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2009, 11:11:50 AM »
there was an announced set of changes on ebay aust re paypal claims will shortly be through ebay as in 2010, i will dig it out and post it here soon

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2009, 05:30:13 PM »
PayPal update:

We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your favour.

We were able to recover $XXX USD, and this amount has been credited to you. Please allow five business days for this adjustment to be posted.

If you are due any additional funds, we will make our best effort to recover the balance from the seller.

If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account privileges.

"limitation of the seller's account" - bit late I think!
(PayPal refund received today)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2009, 05:32:28 PM »
Did you receive the full amount, Wheels?

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2009, 05:33:04 PM »
Yes  ;D

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2009, 05:39:46 PM »
That's a relief. It almost sounds as though PayPal wouldn't have refunded you the full amount if it had to come from PayPal rather than the seller - which of course is something that buyers relying on PayPal would usually not expect, since PayPal is touted as being full protection.

So far, PayPal seem to be refunding fully on this sort of claim...