Author Topic: Election Autopsy Thread  (Read 33347 times)

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
Re: Election Autopsy Thread
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2010, 12:30:55 PM »
Don't worry bnwt.... with a bit of luck it was Bill Shorten!

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2010, 01:43:02 PM »

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2010, 01:45:59 PM »

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2010, 01:56:51 PM »

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2010, 01:58:37 PM »
bnwt.... Do you reckon you'd invest $250K on sportsbet.... even if it was Gillard's money???

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2010, 02:22:51 PM »
My pick after watching many elections is the postal /pre and absentee votes historically favour the conservatives. Thus I believe reps will be labour 70, coilition 74 with 1 green, 1 green / liberal and 4 conservative independants.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/election/a/-/article/7803426/coalition-cant-rely-on-wa-nats-vote/

While the above is just the start of bargaining it will exists for every conservative seat.

78 to 71 and a fence sitter in reps. And a hostile senate till july 2011 then commies like RED Rihinoon in a green dress, will make the senate toxic poision. Meanwhile labour and greens will be jostling for power within their own parties and blood will flow.

The senate will take a final stupid indefensiable position on the wrong issuse and Abbot will have the double dissillusion trigger on the topic he wants. LAbour and greens will then be decimated at that election one to two years from now. And labour state goverments in NSW and QLD in the same period wil suffer crushing falls .

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2010, 05:19:21 PM »
I wonder what its going to cost this country to get the wa nats on side. 

We had a hung parliament after the last state election, then the liberal government bribed/negotiated the royalties for regions sheme to get their support to form government.  It looks like they are asking for a billion dollars.

It not like they aren't spending the money wisely either - I mean we NEEDED a singing toilet in Bunbury.  In fact we need more, they only cost $250,000 each.

http://www.news.com.au/weird-true-freaky/a-250000-throne-fit-for-royalties-in-the-regions/story-e6frflri-1225867293890

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2010, 05:39:33 PM »
Not asking for millions...but this guy seems to be wishful thinking..lol....

From the Melbourne Herald Sun today....

PREFERENCE WAS FOR SALE

Disendorsed Family First candidate David Barrow created controversy during the week by shopping around his second preference on his how-to-vote cards to both major party candidates.

The email, seen by the Sunday Herald Sun, encouraged Labor's Laura Smyth and Liberal MP Jason Wood to pay for the printing of his cards in return for his support.

The email was asking for up to $3000.  "Independent 2nd Prefs (sic) to you," the email read.  "Below $2000 for 50,000 copies; below $3000 for 100,000 copies.  Please call to discuss:  could be 1 or 2 (per cent) of pref flows for either of you."

Australian Electoral Commission chief legal officer Paul Pirani said it might be a matter for Victoria Police.

"Because it was pretty much a lock-in 2 or 3 per cent for Family First to the Coalition, and now that I've been disendorsed, most of those people would just gravitate to the Liberals anyway,"  Mr Barrow said.

He opted to spend yesterday in Brisbane, rather than the La Trobe electorate in which he stood.  

DAVID HASTIE

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2010, 06:31:31 PM »
I think I really like the lady in red..lol....

http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/08/02/great-debate/

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2010, 06:35:16 PM »
that does not surprise me Roo - I actually think it happens more than we care to know.

We all know that the WA Nats support costs money - that deal has cost this state billions so far.  Mind you - I do think they deserved a lot of that money - but I dont agree on how it is being spent, or where it is being spent.

Maybe I should try and sell my vote at the next election

Poddy

« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2010, 06:52:26 PM »
OMG !!! get 2 women on ANY subject that the believe in and no one can get a word in edgewise.

I am fully aware that women are more capable of multitasking but somehow I feel that while the mouth is engaged the ears are disengaged and they do not hear what the other is saying.

Don't get me wrong I am in full support of everyone vocalising their opinion regardless of wheather they are women, men, children or anywhere in between.

But FFS don't try to shout each other down, that tactic just does not work

Poddy

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2010, 08:04:31 PM »
I have no doubt that once all the dust has settled a bit the surgical instruments will be produced and the bloodletting will begin.

Par for the course, there have to be some scapegoats led to the sacrificial alter to pacify the masses licking the inflicted wounds.

Poddy

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2010, 12:38:33 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that just about every media picture of Julia Gillard is taken looking up her nostrills?

Once you notice it, it is so obvious that it becomes annoying

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2010, 12:59:11 AM »
No ... I hadn't.

But now I won't be able to do anything BUT notice it!

Thanks for that, Poddy.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2010, 07:03:58 AM »
Calls for Bitar's head after 'inept' campaign

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-election/calls-for-bitars-head-after-inept-campaign-20100822-13ayl.html

so many scores to settle ........... so little time

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2010, 09:27:36 AM »

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2010, 10:35:07 AM »
'Still too early' to call former Belinda Neal seat

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/23/2990345.htm?section=justin

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2010, 11:20:33 AM »

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2010, 03:25:07 PM »
Well looking like a 73 labour 73 lib result with 1 green and 3 rural independants. I read an interesting idea libs compromise with 3 rural independants even if it means demoting truss and joyce might treach them some manners.

And offer rudd the speakers chair, sold as partisan compromise, but also takes rudds vote away for most votes so 2 independants / libs need to cross the floor, before rudd can vote again

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2010, 04:07:35 PM »
Yeah Bnwt, it's going to be interesting to see who ends up in the Speakers chair. I can't see any of the independants taking the chair.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2010, 04:14:06 PM »
Seats in Doubt
Electorates where the result is too close to call.

78.3% counted.

Last updated Mon Aug 23 03:57PM

Time     Count %    Electorate  Held By   Margin    2PP %    SwingPredict
15:2778.6BoothbyL/NP2.950.52.5% to ALPLIB AHEAD
12:2671.0BrisbaneALP4.650.75.3% to LNPLNP AHEAD
15:1281.0DenisonALP15.352.412.9% from ALP    ALP RETAIN
13:5778.1DunkleyL/NP4.050.43.6% to ALPLIB AHEAD
13:5775.6HasluckALP0.850.31.1% to LIBLIB AHEAD
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2010, 04:29:04 PM »
who in their right mind would want to be the speaker ?????
its a job for a complete and utter moron who has the glare of an angry mother

you have to listen to boring dopey twats call you Mr Speaker over 100 times in a 200 word speech

you also have to listen to other morons utter the words "Hear Hear" every 10 seconds and then put up with childish jeers from other morons

The only thing of importance you have to do all day is glare at the interupting morons and say the word order 10,000 times a day with a look of a stern moron on your face or put an even more stern face on ,and glare at the moron and call him/or her by the name of the seat she represents

What a sensless waste of human life !!!!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2010, 04:41:42 PM »
It's just like a prefect on playground duty...

Someone has to be there to keep the kiddies playing nice ... err .... refereeing the dummy spits.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2010, 04:43:52 PM »
Excuse me Mr Smee! What does that say about our electorate?

Our local MP is the Speaker!    :lol:  :lol:

And so was his father before him.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2010, 04:51:06 PM »
I dont think they should use one of the reps as the speaker
for starters the speaker is supposed to be impartial and the current one certainly isnt he is far far far more lenient to the labour reps
secondly how can he represent his electorate properly if he has to be the prefect everyday

I reckon they should get Judge Judy in as the speaker .... she would sort the flockers out ....half of them would go home in tears

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2010, 06:00:32 PM »
who in their right mind would want to be the speaker ?????
its a job for a complete and utter moron who has the glare of an angry mother

you have to listen to boring dopey twats call you Mr Speaker over 100 times in a 200 word speech

you also have to listen to other morons utter the words "Hear Hear" every 10 seconds and then put up with childish jeers from other morons

The only thing of importance you have to do all day is glare at the interupting morons and say the word order 10,000 times a day with a look of a stern moron on your face or put an even more stern face on ,and glare at the moron and call him/or her by the name of the seat she represents

What a sensless waste of human life !!!!

sounds just like being a mother in a lot of ways.

Poddy

« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2010, 06:05:52 PM »
Mandi, just like a mum the speaker should send some of them to their room with no supper :)

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2010, 08:26:50 PM »
I reckon they should ask me to be the speaker. I can see myself now, in Parliament, sitting on the fancy chair with the faithful Barret 50 cal resting lovingly in my arms as I stare with dagger eyes at the members, emitting a low growl every now & then.

There would be none of that childish abuse & name calling rubbish.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »
I can see it now .... Ubbie perched menacingly with his banner hanging proudly behind him bearing his motto......

Go ahead.  Make my day.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2010, 11:33:55 PM »
And the Australian Coat of Arms replaced by the Ubbs insignia - a can of pepsi max on one side and a pluto pup on the other.  :lol:

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2010, 01:10:18 AM »
That idea had crossed my mind, Wheels ... but seeing as it's parliament, the emu and roo should probably stay.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2010, 04:37:58 PM »
Arbib 'faceless' in TV no-show

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/08/24/2991572.htm

GUTLESS

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2010, 06:33:49 PM »
So what is happening with the WA nats - they said that the coalition could not count on their support to form government.  Has  a deal been done with them?  And if so - how much money has this cost?  They are not cheap - as we found out after the state election.

its a bit scary having the independants have so much power in deciding who will be the next pm - I hope that any deals become public knowledge so that we can access whether it was worth it.

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2010, 06:44:30 PM »
Do we know who controls the senate yet?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2010, 06:51:06 PM »
here's the senate results - summary

Party                                  Continuing                New                       Total
Liberal/National Party                   16                      18                          34
Australian Labor Party                  16                      15                          31
Australian Greens                          3                       6                            9
Others                                        1                       1                            2

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2010, 06:57:15 PM »
thanks smee

callostemma

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »
Looks like the greens are running aus for the next 3 years :peace:

Poddy

« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2010, 10:16:50 PM »
:( and they have changed their hue from green to red over the years, disruption in the name of concervation, God help us all !!!!

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2010, 11:23:24 PM »

Soylent Green ... we're Doomed ... recycle..eat a friend.

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2010, 03:38:41 AM »
I dont know which will be worse - listening to Bob Brown carry on or Bob Katter rabbit on.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2010, 02:41:15 PM »
Well looking like 4 rural independants 71 labour 74 Coalition and 1 watermelon party attached to the labour nipple. I realise the independants are bargaining .

But the bottom line is the indepandants stand to lose their seats if they do not try to work with the Coalition. For instance Oakshot "shot" to winning his seat when Leader of the nationals Vale now vale, spat the dummy after the kevin707 win. A strong National seat went at byelection from a vote of 55% primary nationals . To a primary vote of 70% to  independant ex national oakshot known and strong support as independant state member. Labour did not even bother putting up a candidate. And oakshot about 47% primary vote in 2010.

Katter , Windor and oakshot are all ex nationals and HATED 101% by the nationals as tratiors. While their electorates like them. HOWEVER one big mistake means they are gone foever. No funding no party no helpers to stage a come back if they lose one election.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2010, 05:24:46 PM »
It's very difficult to perform an autopsy on this election at this stage, since the "corpse" is still wriggling!

I find the result a frustrating one. I am not sure that the majority of Australians realise how difficult it will be to form a cohesive and productive government in this situation. In my opinon, it's almost inevitable that parochial interests will become a bargaining point. Rural interests SHOULD be an important part of the government's policies and actions; that does not mean particular geographical locations or minority issues should get an insistent voice (a voice that must be yielded to) simply because their representative is an Independent or Green with the ability to block wide-ranging policies and actions Australia-wide.

If the Independents and the Greens put aside their own wish-list and the particular interests of their own constituents, speaking primarily as an important voice for all of rural Australia, that'd be one thing.

Will it happen?

I sincerely doubt it.

I thought Oakeshott's suggestion that a govt be formed with Ms Gillard at its head and Malcolm Turnbull serving - or vice versa with Tony Abbott as its leader and Mr Swan serving - was inherently ludicrous.

There IS a reason why there are different political parties, Mr Oakeshott. They have different political views... If they didn't, they'd all form one party and there'd be no such thing as elections. For that matter, without different political views (and often very STRONG differences in political views), we'd all have the SAME political opinions and wouldn't see the point in voting for one party or another. There is a land where that happens... It's called La-La Land, and in that land there is no crime, no waste, no tears, and not only does the lion lie down with the lamb, but the lion actually gives the lamb a footrub.

In the real world, we DIFFER from each other. In the real world, we have individual concerns, and individual standards. We may form alliances and groups that share the same standards and concerns in many respects, but there are alliances and groups we would not wish - under any circumstances - to join.

By the way, does anyone else find the more-enlightened-than-thou stance of the Greens rather irritating? I find myself wanting to throw endangered hedgehogs at some of them... (*feels very guilty about this sudden passion for violence, but still, surreptitiously, looks around for endangered hedgehogs*)
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2010, 05:37:25 PM »
I tried throwing hedgehogs at them too but they kept getting stuck in my hands , so I tried Ardvaarks , Porcupines, and Spiney Ant Eaters as well and finally settled on hurling Armadillos as they hurt more if you hit the target

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2010, 05:37:59 PM »
"Sudden passion for violence" Nothing wrong with that Countess, it's good to let a bit of steam of.

I'd love to have a go at Hedgehog throwing, It sounds like fun!.