Author Topic: EBAY Shareholders' meeting - what happened?  (Read 15402 times)

brumbymg

EBAY Shareholders' meeting - what happened?
« on: May 01, 2009, 02:59:03 PM »
From the news items I've been able to find, it seems there was nothing dramatic at the shareholders' meeting held in California 2 days ago.

Have I missed something? Has eBay been skillfully guided through tough times, making tough decisions and allayed any shareholder concerns?

Has the global financial crisis provided cover for eBay's efforts?

Things just seem a bit too peaceful.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: EBAY Shareholders' meeting - what happened?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 03:18:20 PM »
It would be interesting to hear from any eBay shareholders if they're able to communicate anything of what was said.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 03:38:12 PM »
There was a report and some interesting comments on the AuctionBytes blog
http://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2009/4/1241017252.html

Tony Mezzapelli (sic), shareholder:
"I came here because my shares have gone down 50 percent."
"Why haven't these changes happened sooner? Don't we have a lot of world-class analytics and data mining people who can keep us in real time on top of changes in the business?"

Donahoe does not respond to the comment about share prices going down.
"Other competition has moved faster."

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 06:02:35 PM »
I've read through that report (thanks for the link).

Some hard questions were noticeable by their ... absence.

I don't believe eBay's current strategies are good, either for the short-term or for the long-term. However, as I'm not an eBay shareholder (and may I say, just quietly, that I'm glad I'm not?), I have no vested interest in seeing the shares increase in value. And yet... and yet, as a buyer on eBay, and as someone who knows sellers (and even more importantly, would-be sellers or former sellers who cannot possibly sell successfully in the climate eBay is currently imposing), I have an interest in seeing eBay succeed as once it did.

Is it true that the day of auctions and small sellers is over?

Or did a corporate team decide that, and based on that decision did they attempt to create a new direction without considering the existing buyers and sellers?

It raises the question that, had eBay not changed its vision and structure and focus, with increasing fees and laxity towards off-shore sellers flooding the market with cheap 99 cent items and $100-$200 postage, would eBay be in this much trouble performance-wise?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

col52

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 06:02:45 PM »
I think I'd be a concerned, and angry, shareholder seeing the poor state of ebay shares!
I also think Amazon would be a better bet.

col52

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 06:10:36 PM »
I have an interest in seeing eBay succeed as once it did.

Is it true that the day of auctions and small sellers is over?

Or did a corporate team decide that, and based on that decision did they attempt to create a new direction without considering the existing buyers and sellers?

It raises the question that, had eBay not changed its vision and structure and focus, with increasing fees and laxity towards off-shore sellers flooding the market with cheap 99 cent items and $100-$200 postage, would eBay be in this much trouble performance-wise?

I would also like to see ebay succeed again (even though I have had a strong dislike since 2006), not selective as it is at the moment. I certainly don't like the concentration on larger sellers. It's much like what the likes of large B&M retailers do - get rid of smaller operators, then bump up prices. There's plenty of opportunities on the WWW for large companies. To allow takeover of the likes of ebay is a bad, bad move. Certainly NOT a community move.

If ebay started doing the right thing towards the MAJORITY of it's members, I would very quickly praise their efforts.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 06:13:07 PM »
Col, a serious thread dedicated to ideas of how eBay could win back its customer base (both buyers and sellers) might be a good idea, hmm?

col52

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 06:21:28 PM »
I think you might be right there, countess!

the guv

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 10:29:08 PM »
http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/financials/drawFiling.asp?docKey=136-000095013409003306-4EKAAM6EQ6U9EV4O4M1E53IQB5&docFormat=HTM&formType=10-K

UNITED STATES SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION
Washington, D.C. 20549

Form 10-K

þ     ANNUAL REPORT PURSUANT TO SECTION 13 OR 15(d) OF THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934 
      For the fiscal year ended December 31, 2008. 
OR 
o     TRANSITION REPORT PURSUANT TO SECTION 13 OR 15(d) OF THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934 
      For the Transition Period from          to          . 

Commission file number 000-24821
eBay Inc.

the guv

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 10:33:22 PM »
Table of Contents

UNITED STATES SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION
Washington, D.C. 20549

Form 10-K

þ     ANNUAL REPORT PURSUANT TO SECTION 13 OR 15(d) OF THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934 
      For the fiscal year ended December 31, 2008. 
OR 
o     TRANSITION REPORT PURSUANT TO SECTION 13 OR 15(d) OF THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934 
      For the Transition Period from          to          . 

Commission file number 000-24821
eBay Inc.
(Exact name of registrant as specified in its charter)

Delaware
(State or other jurisdiction of
incorporation or organization)     77-0430924
(I.R.S. Employer
Identification Number) 
2145 Hamilton Avenue
San Jose, California
(Address of principal executive offices)     95125
(Zip Code) 

Registrant’s telephone number, including area code:
(408) 376-7400

Securities registered pursuant to Section 12(b) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934:

Title of each class
Common stock     Name of exchange on which registered
The Nasdaq Global Select Market 

Securities registered pursuant to Section 12(g) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934:
None

Indicate by check mark if the registrant is a well-known seasoned issuer, as defined in Rule 405 of the Securities Act.  Yes  þ      No  o

Indicate by check mark if the registrant is not required to file reports pursuant to Section 13 or Section 15(d) of the Exchange Act.  Yes  o      No  þ

Indicate by check mark whether the registrant (1) has filed all reports required to be filed by Section 13 or 15(d) of the Exchange Act during the preceding 12 months (or for such shorter period that the registrant was required to file such reports), and (2) has been subject to such filing requirements for the past 90 days.  Yes  þ      No  o

Indicate by check mark if disclosure of delinquent filers pursuant to Item 405 of Regulation S-K is not contained herein, and will not be contained, to the best of the registrant’s knowledge, in definitive proxy or information statements incorporated by reference in Part III of this Form 10-K or any amendment to this Form 10-K.  Yes  þ      No  o

Indicate by check mark whether the registrant is a large accelerated filer, an accelerated filer, a non-accelerated filer or a smaller reporting company. See the definitions of “large accelerated filer,” “accelerated filer,” and “smaller reporting company” in Rule 12b-2 of the Exchange Act.

Large accelerated filer  þ     Accelerated filer  o 
Non-accelerated filer  o (Do not check if a smaller reporting company)     Smaller reporting company  o 

Indicate by check mark whether the registrant is a shell company (as defined in Rule 12b-2 of the Exchange Act).  Yes  o      No  þ

As of June 30, 2008, the aggregate market value of the registrant’s common stock held by non-affiliates of the registrant was $29,966,047,864 based on the closing sale price as reported on The Nasdaq Global Select Market.

Indicate the number of shares outstanding of each of the registrant’s classes of common stock, as of the latest practicable date.

Class     Outstanding as of February 11, 2009 

Common Stock, $0.001 par value per share     1,282,965,764 shares 

DOCUMENTS INCORPORATED BY REFERENCE

Part III incorporates information by reference from the definitive proxy statement for the registrant’s Annual Meeting of Stockholders to be held on or about April 29, 2009.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eBay Inc.

Form 10-K
For the Fiscal Year Ended December 31, 2008

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Page 

PART I 
   Item 1.        Business        1     
   Item 1A.        Risk Factors        13     
   Item 1B.        Unresolved Staff Comments        41     
   Item 2.        Properties        41     
   Item 3.        Legal Proceedings        41     
   Item 4.        Submission of Matters to a Vote of Security Holders        43     

PART II 
   Item 5.        Market for the Registrant’s Common Equity, Related Stockholder Matters and Issuer Purchases of Equity Securities        44     
   Item 6.        Selected Financial Data        47     
   Item 7.        Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations        48     
   Item 7A.        Quantitative and Qualitative Disclosures About Market Risk        67     
   Item 8.        Financial Statements and Supplementary Data        69     
   Item 9.        Changes in and Disagreements With Accountants on Accounting and Financial Disclosure        69     
   Item 9A.        Controls and Procedures        69     
   Item 9B.        Other Information        70     

PART III 
   Item 10.        Directors, Executive Officers and Corporate Governance        70     
   Item 11.        Executive Compensation        70     
   Item 12.        Security Ownership of Certain Beneficial Owners and Management and Related Stockholder Matters        70     
   Item 13.        Certain Relationships and Related Transactions and Director Independence        70     
   Item 14.        Principal Accounting Fees and Services        70     

PART IV 
   Item 15.        Exhibits and Financial Statement Schedules        71     
  EX-12.01 
  EX-21.01 
  EX-23.01 
  EX-31.01 
  EX-31.02 
  EX-32.01 
  EX-32.02 

i

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Table of Contents etc..

:green:

All you do is Google 10 - K 2009 eBay Inc

Primaryaim

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 10:34:44 PM »
Thanks for the links. :)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 10:37:09 PM »
Thank you guv, and welcome to the OzRT

Some other helpful links:
http://investor.ebay.com/financial_releases.cfm
http://investor.ebay.com/events.cfm

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 10:38:54 PM »
Thank you, Guv - you're going to be very useful around here.

Thank you also to Wheels - excellent links.

Primaryaim

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 10:45:57 PM »
I forgot my manners Welcome "guv" :)

the guv

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 10:56:16 PM »
Thank you all - I am just a quiet Lurker  ;D

http://investor.ebay.com/eventdetail.cfm?eventid=65082

The Interesting Annual Shareholders meeting should be in June.

That will be covered then under Schedule 14A.......see below.......

UNITED STATES
SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION
Washington, D.C. 20549
SCHEDULE 14A
Proxy Statement Pursuant to Section 14(a) of the Securities
Exchange Act of 1934 (Amendment No.  )

eBay Inc.
2145 Hamilton Avenue
San Jose, California 95125

This was last year's[2008] 14A.......

NOTICE OF ANNUAL MEETING OF STOCKHOLDERS
To Be Held On June 19, 2008

To the Stockholders of eBay Inc.:

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Annual Meeting of Stockholders of eBay Inc., a Delaware corporation, will be held on Thursday, June 19, 2008, at 8:00 a.m. Central time at the Hyatt Regency Chicago, Grand Ballroom E & F, 151 East Wacker Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60601 for the following purposes:

1. To vote on the election of Fred D. Anderson, Edward W. Barnholt, Scott D. Cook, and John J. Donahoe as directors, to hold office until our 2011 Annual Meeting of Stockholders.

2. To approve our 2008 Equity Incentive Award Plan.

3. To ratify the selection of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP as our independent auditors for our fiscal year ending December 31, 2008.

4. To transact such other business as may properly come before the meeting or any adjournment or postponement of the meeting.

These business items are described more fully in the Proxy Statement accompanying this Notice.

The Board of Directors has fixed the close of business on April 21, 2008 as the record date for identifying those stockholders entitled to notice of and to vote at this Annual Meeting and at any adjournment or postponement of this meeting.

By Order of the Board of Directors

Michael R. Jacobson
Secretary

San Jose, California
April 28, 2008

All stockholders are cordially invited to attend the Annual Meeting in person. Whether or not you expect to attend the Annual Meeting, you are urged to submit your proxy or voting instructions as soon as possible so that your shares can be voted at the Annual Meeting in accordance with your instructions. Telephone and Internet voting are available. For specific instructions on voting, please refer to the instructions on the proxy or voting instruction form.

imperfect

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 11:11:33 PM »
G'day Guv!!

WELCOME!

Quiet lurker, yeah me too mate ;)

the guv

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 11:11:58 PM »
Last years Shareholders meeting was in late June - this time two months earlier

????????????? ..Interesting ??

http://investor.ebay.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=891618-09-71

Also Interesting to read some for the other reports and neccessary Federal reporting requirements for Directors share transactions.

http://investor.ebay.com/sec.cfm

the guv

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 11:24:52 PM »
And to save you looking ...the Financials for eBay Inc. First quarter 2009.

Please remember to add THREE ZEROS to all the Balance Sheet entries - they are stated in Thousands of US Dollars..

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/EBAY/630776056x0x289176/f4b1d2f8-f565-408d-9b58-54a5280ab957/eBay_Q109_EarningsRelease.pdf

:professor:

:t2: