Author Topic: New eSayers 'item value' survey- B&M wannabe here we come  (Read 12280 times)

ernest_price

New eSayers 'item value' survey- B&M wannabe here we come
« on: July 24, 2009, 04:38:29 PM »
Any interesting one.

It was focused on how to show buyers what a great deal they are getting on eBay.

One option to show discount off RRP in the item price.

Another option to show a price comparison to other seller's items compared to the price of the one you are watching [ouch for some people]. They'll need to sort out postage pirates before that one will work, otherwise those $30 + $10 postage items I'm selling won't look good compared to the $0.99c plus $60 postage items the far far far extremely far north QLD sellers are touting.

Overall gives me the impression they want to be an Amazon and online retail competitor fixed price place and sort of forget auctions, as has been previously telegraphed anyway.

bobbybigbear

Re: New eSayers 'item value' survey- B&M wannabe here we come
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 05:02:36 PM »
One option to show discount off RRP in the item price.

They allready do.  Diamond and Emerald ( CZ & Crystal) 18ct ( gold plated ) Engagement Ring. RRP $2,899.00.  BIN price, $250.  ( Actual Value from Indonesian supplier $16.95USD.

Highly illegal under the Trade Practises Act.

To advertise an RRP, you must be able to prove you have sold one at that price.
The heading is illeagl under the TPA as it's known as bait advertising. It is also false and misleading advertising.

Being going on for years and years, and while B&M sellers have to comply, internet sellers still lie through their teeth and get away with it.
Plenty of people will buy this type of jewellery if you advertise exactly what it is, but some actually believe the blurb and get very bitter when they find out the truth.

ernest_price

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 05:43:47 PM »
Slightly different. The proposal is that eBay will be the one putting RRP up there and showing the $ saving, not the seller.

The current seller-sourced RRP is usually a sad joke, as you noted.

bobbybigbear

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 07:01:56 PM »
So Ebay is going to be the expert on RRP's, lol, they cant even tell counterfeit goods, they have been sued more often than I have had hot dinners.

I can imagine them being sued over a wrong RRP that costs a seller money.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 10:18:22 PM »
Can someone possibly explain to me how eBay can validate the condition, authenticity and quality of an item listed by a seller whose goods they do not check physically? And if they cannot validate those things, how can they establish RRP?

I admit I'm puzzled by how this could work...

I look towards eBay to help me understand. :enlighten:
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

ernest_price

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 08:12:49 AM »
To understand it, I think the first thing you have to do is ignore anything you know and have loved about eBay. Ignore auctions. Ignore second hand goods that you have in the garage and just want to make a few $$$ out of them. Ignore that present from the MIL a few years ago that you sell for very nice $$$ to someone that's into pink frilly queen size doona covers with red hearts on the top.

Now think new goods only. Think someone buying in bulk from a supplier. Think an online option to B&M stores. Think importers. Think fixed price. Think no small M&D sellers.

This is the eBay future.

bobbybigbear

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 08:28:38 AM »
Think Amazon

Poddy

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 09:09:33 AM »
Better still...........to understand..............just

DONT THINK

Just accept

ernest_price

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 09:20:04 AM »
Are we saying that 'accepting' means off to Trading Post /Oztion etc as sellers? Or as both seller and buyer of M&D things?

I have  never had a search hit when buying on Oztion. Then again, I have hardly had a hit in the last 18 months on my eBay searched items either :) .

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 12:21:27 PM »
eBay is already decreasing the type of listings in which I am interested. The future of eBay's direction, if we can pre-empt what the eSayers' survey indicates, is to diminish even the level of listing that prevails now, so that it becomes a smudge on the windscreen of the eBay limousine.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

bobbybigbear

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 12:32:10 PM »
If Ebay is to survive intact, it's probably it's only option. It probably holds world records involving litigation, scammers have found ways to manipulate every facet of it's services, they cannot introduce a verification system that ensures member safety, unless they go the way of Amazon.

This will leave Gumtree or something else they develop, to take care of the Mum & Dad market. You could try OZtion, but if you enjoy forums, you probably won't survive unless you go in a group and boot out the Gang that controls it.
That may prove difficult because they have Admin support, so that only leaves buying and selling.

Sellers are always whining on the forums they have no sales, and the biggest selling items are under $10, mostly clothes, and judging by the behaviour of some of them on the forums, I have no doubt their stock comes from charity bins at 2.00am in the morning.  This rationalisation, had to come, nothing lasts forever, scammers make sure of that.