Poll

As a buyer, what's your view about refunds for online purchases?

I believe in refunds for items not exactly what I expected, even if the seller's been honest in describing it. If I misunderstood; if I change my mind; if it doesn't fit, I should be refunded.
1 (1.8%)
If the seller hasn't described something adequately, & my misunderstanding is due to that lack of information, I should be refunded. I don't believe in refunds for change of mind or misinterpretation in SPITE of the correct information.
7 (12.5%)
If the item is flawed or faulty (not stated), or doesn't work (not stated), or is SNAD, I deserve a refund. I should NOT be refunded if I've just misunderstood; if an item isn't well enough described, I need to ask the seller, not assume.
14 (25%)
I don't believe in refunds for online purchases.
0 (0%)
I believe in refunds for all online purchases if I can get away with it. Low income; disadvantaged; can't afford what I need. I will seek for a "great deal" (nothing) if I can.
1 (1.8%)
If an item is damaged in transit, I believe I deserve a full refund from the seller. I don't need to do anything but tell the seller the item arrived damaged.
1 (1.8%)
For items damaged in transit, I'll facilitate an AP claim. I would expect a refund from the seller if the packaging were inadequate, but from AP if the packaging were fine.
12 (21.4%)
For items damaged in transit, I’d expect a refund from a business, not from a private seller (unless seller didn't protect fragile item AT ALL). I think transit damage is carrier's fault, not seller's.
5 (8.9%)
I will accept partial refunds if the seller is at fault - if the item is usable but not what I had every right to expect.
7 (12.5%)
Seller should pay return shipping of item that is SNAD, fake, not working, etc. Alternatively, I could destroy item witnessed by policeman & receive a refund for the item. But if I bought a fake knowing it was fake, I wouldn’t expect a refund.
8 (14.3%)
I've got views about refunds you haven't mentioned!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Reasonable buyers: refund expectations  (Read 5744 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Reasonable buyers: refund expectations
« on: October 28, 2010, 12:16:43 PM »
You've got 5 possible choices from which to select the above options.

I will make my selections a little later.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Re: Reasonable buyers: refund expectations
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 12:29:36 PM »
*snipe*
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 12:31:04 PM »
can you refund that snipe so I can get it ?

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 12:32:34 PM »
Prolly not, but you may get one half-off.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 12:42:21 PM »
can you refund that snipe so I can get it ?
Prolly not, but you may get one half-off.

You can ... if Tello 'removes' his post while he still has time - or gets the mods/admin to do so (at any time).

(Don't like your chances, Smee.)

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 12:48:24 PM »
^ Nuthin' doin'! ^

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 01:22:43 PM »
Oh.....  What ...... a ...... surprise .....

NOT!

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
    • It Ain't Always My Life!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 06:14:09 PM »
I've voted and I'm not telling!
"I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years"

http://www.marysvillecookbook.com/ $7,800 **Raised as at 22nd March 2013**
Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 12:28:29 AM »
Voted ;D
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 07:32:54 AM »
if you vote and then cancel the vote does that mean you are devoted ?

like a friend of mine once owned a pub , he sold it and then he bought it again so he became a republican

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 11:13:10 AM »
Ah, Smee, your devoted friend should light a votive candle and ask for divine help with that question.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 11:43:21 AM »
My views on refunds are based on the fact that I don't believe in something-for-nothing.

The carriage laws in Australia are specific: the liability for damage in transit doesn't rest with the person who despatched the goods, and not even with the carrier (over a certain amount, if the goods haven't been insured), but with the person who has purchased the goods and paid for their despatch inclusive in the purchase. (Unless I've misunderstood the law...)

Reading the Carriers and Innkeepers Act 1958 (Vic) is like stepping back into time, though...

Yet it seems to me unequivocal that the seller has the responsibility of packaging the item sufficiently well for its safe delivery, with due regard to its weight, fragility, etc.

It also seems to me unequivocal that morally the carrier has a responsibility for any damage caused by their carelessness. Also, the carrier has any responsibility (additional to its minimum responsibility by law) granted by its terms of use or user agreement. In the case of AP, http://auspost.com.au/media/documents/general-post-guide.pdf - they've stated certain liabilities, and listed certain exclusions.

At any rate, I will seek a refund from the seller if goods are damaged due to completely inadequate packaging. Remember the case of the Italian seller? I ended up with a partial refund (more of a token refund) but decided at my discretion not to push for a full refund or a more substantial refund.

I will seek a refund from the seller if they have misrepresented the item, and what I receive is not what I paid for. (Wrong item, item without certain functions it is stated to have, item etc.) I will ESPECIALLY seek that refund if the seller will not admit responsibility when it's clear they are responsible. Remember the case of the French DVD? That seller annoyed me by her attitude, which is one reason why I didn't just shrug and take the loss (it wasn't as though the DVD were a costly one, after all).

I won't seek a refund if I end up with something I didn't want because I completely misunderstood the description. If it's my fault, it's my fault. This is one good reason for buying from a b&m shop; you can try on clothes, check the colour in person, ask all the questions you need to about the item, check whether your plug fits its thingummy, and all of that. You can't do that with online purchases - hence my preference for b&m shops for some types of item.

If I were to receive a fake item sold at the price (or nearly so) of a genuine item, and I had no reason to think the item were fake, I would exert every breath in my body to obtain a full refund. If I believed the seller to have knowingly sold me a fake, I would also exert every last breath in my body to bring that person to justice. I consider the selling of fake items, knock-off items, cheap imitations of readily available and prized genuine items etc., to be disgusting.

(I'm more flexible when it comes to out-of-print recordings or films. I think the law needs reforming with regard to such items. In other words, I still haven't found that French CD of François le Roux singing Massenet mélodies!)