Author Topic: Mikey "Blue Microphones" help wanted  (Read 7538 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Mikey "Blue Microphones" help wanted
« on: April 17, 2010, 05:51:39 PM »
I'm looking for a "Mikey" by Blue Microphones. (Link: http://www.bluemic.com/mikey/)

The only registered dealer I can find locally is Audio Chocolate in South Yarra. Price: $119.

I always prefer to have a choice so that I can assure myself I'm getting the best deal and service. Does anyone have any alternative shops in mind from which this is available? Apple does not stock this; Billy Hyde doesn't; Dick Smith doesn't; JB Hi-Fi doesn't. It's not that I don't think Audio Chocolate's price is too high, but rather that I am a comparative shopper. I always compare prices!
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Mikey "Blue Microphones" help wanted
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 06:16:37 PM »
Sooooooooo, does that mean we've found something the iphone is not capable of doing?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »
Thanks, Wheels - and there's no hurry with that, as I realised that my satnav has been keeping track of my distance travelled via its own odometer ever since I connected it. With that and my iPhone app for trip measurement, I can put up with the dodgy odometer until I hear back about the instrument cluster.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 06:20:50 PM »
Don't start traducing the iPhone! *grin* It may not have an external mic as standard, but it's got the capability to accept it and provide high-quality uncompressed sound recording!

The mic is specifically for the iPod Touch or iPhone - to give it professional high-quality stereo recording in conjunction with any of a number of high-quality recording apps.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 06:22:19 PM »
I just checked Amazon, $59.95 USD. Would it be the same, connections etc? I'll have a look at how much shipping will be from MyUS to here.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 06:25:18 PM »
Shipping would be about $50, so no saving unless you wanted to buy a couple.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 06:30:21 PM »
Yes... and electronic equipment is something I like to buy from a b&m shop. I've done some more shopping around in conjunction with the information you posted, so I'm confident I will be paying no higher than I should by buying it from Audio Chocolate.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 10:27:44 AM »
Mikey bought. It was delivered yesterday. I haven't had time to test the quality properly, but the mic certainly works easily.

It is inserted into the "recharge" slot.

It enables superior CD-quality stereo recording on the iPhone, ideal for recording concerts or practice sessions. When rehearsing, it's extraordinarily helpful to have the ability to make very high-quality recordings to gauge any ensemble balance issues, any muddy passages, anything where there appears to be any problem, anything that doesn't quite have the desired technical and emotional effect.

We can also establish the duration of a piece (especially useful when it's a rare musical aria/duet/trio/quartet that has never been recorded) so that the concert timing can be established.

There are other recording devices, but they don't have the flexibility and usability of the iPhone in conjunction with high-quality recording apps and a high-speed external stereo mic.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 02:25:03 PM »

on the eighth day ... the Lord created i-phones for Eve, then tried to rest, but Eve woke him to show him her new apps ....

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 03:15:55 PM »
I'm really tempted to post a link to "Will it Blend?"......

but I won't.

just yet...

Poddy

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 03:43:58 PM »
Contessa

I will be most interested to know in what format the sound from the mikey is recorded.

Is the mic stereo?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 04:16:23 PM »
Yes, it's stereo.

* CD-quality audio recording direct to iPod and iPhone
    * No software necessary
    * Unique compact design for superior audio recording
    * 7 angle adjustments for any environment
    * 3 gain settings to capture the clearest stereo sound
    * Low price point for superior quality
    * Innovative design allows for superior audio recording
    * Perfect for lecture recording, concerts, voice memos, dictation, field recording, interviews, and travel journals

Poddy

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 04:43:26 PM »
Hmmmmm

And the file format?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 05:04:09 PM »
WAV, AIFF, CAF (Core Audio Format).

Poddy

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 05:12:39 PM »
I'll be interested to hear your opinion as to quality and file size if you test each format, it should be interesting

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 05:37:09 PM »
Another dongle you can get is for infrared.... so you can run an App for 'remote control'.  Such a simple component - an IR LED - would not have been too much to include in the iPhone itself.

But the specs provided look decent enough - would be nice if they provide a calibration graph ....