Author Topic: Postage time this Christmas  (Read 9335 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Postage time this Christmas
« on: December 14, 2009, 06:04:29 PM »
In the last 3 weeks, I've been doing quite a bit of ordering from France, Germany, the UK and the US.

My items from France, Germany and the UK have arrived quite quickly. (I have avoided German sellers unknown to me because of the crippled sloth method of postage some German sellers use, and have focused on ordering from German sellers who've always sent items quickly in the past, or from the German Amazon site.)

I've been very impressed by the speed of the postage. (Admittedly, I haven't been so impressed (significantly unimpressed, actually) by the standard of packing from German Amazon; I think they must have outsourced it to Schmeiß' ein bisschen Papier darauf - an Acme company no doubt.)

So far most of the things I've ordered as gifts have arrived, and I can breathe a sigh of relief. Only one more thing to get... and I THINK I'm done.

What have your experiences of postage speed been this Christmas? (Both nationally and internationally.)
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Postage time this Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 06:06:50 PM »
For a fast efficient reliable inexpensive delivery service contact Smee Logistics a fully owned subsiduary of Smee Enterprises

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 06:08:06 PM »
Yeah Countess. Airmail from Hong Kong is very slow as well. Some items are taking up to a month to arrive but, I suspect some of this delay is due to tardy HK sellers taking a week or longer to actually mail the items.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 06:09:25 PM »
I wish the Hong Kongese would use Smee Logistics. Be a lot quicker.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 06:10:03 PM »
Slow boat from China, hmm?

I hardly ever order from Hong Kong, so I've limited experience in their usual despatch time.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 06:10:21 PM »
Smee, do you "have an office right here in Hong Kong"?

gr8-expectations

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 06:13:50 PM »
my son wants these swords from hong kong and i have messaged the seller ... sword cheap, freight $86.00 lol asked him if we buy two swords will he send both together for same cost, his postage time stars are bad and also costs stars ... still investigating and not running with it until a few questions are answered like... "by which method will you be sending the item?" i remember though years back going to hong kong and their export duties were massive, wiped out all the savings i made on the things i bought for my daughter

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 06:15:04 PM »
For me USA and  china slow while Australian post a little faster than normal.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 06:16:51 PM »
UK order placed 2/12/09 - to be shipped as available - started arriving on 8/12/09
Hong Kong order placed 2/12/09 - arrived today, 14/12/09
US order placed 30/11/09 - arrived 11/12/09

Not bad really, especially when you consider one gift I posted to WA took 9 days!

I heard on today's news that the Postal Union action is not going to be a strike, instead they are going to process all mail that is posted through footpath post boxes unstamped. I wasn't game to try it with work's mail today and dutifully stamped every envelope!

gr8-expectations

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 06:20:14 PM »
a wise idea wheels they have random scanning of mail and anything picked up without is returned or you get a bill from aust post plus a fee, especially since the union have broadcast what they will do

that hong kong postage you got is not bad, was it exxy like the swords? they were $86.00 AUS long and narrow the sword, 40 inches long he wants .... nicely made too

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 06:22:27 PM »
Gr8, postage was included in the price and the product is not available in Aus so I can't say whether the postage was expensive. I was happy with the price incl postage.

I thought swords etc were a prohibited import?

gr8-expectations

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 06:25:54 PM »
will check that out wheels and these are tempered steel ones, i think they just have to send them blunt which they can ... thanks for the reminder on that one...

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 06:28:11 PM »
Here you go Gr8, it appears traditional long swords are ok:

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/Import_BladedWeapons.pdf

WHAT BLADED WEAPONS, MARTIAL ARTS AND SPORTING GOODS ARE CONTROLLED?
Traditional long swords and bayonets are excluded.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 06:31:46 PM »
kewl thanks wheelsie would have taken me ages on ebay to find that link, he really wants that for one of his christmas gifts

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 11:29:32 PM »

I heard on today's news that the Postal Union action is not going to be a strike, instead they are going to process all mail that is posted through footpath post boxes unstamped. I wasn't game to try it with work's mail today and dutifully stamped every envelope!

I heard from someone on another forum that two posters there had spouses who worked at AP ... and they said all union members WERE going on strike tomorrow night.  Services would be handled by staff and non-union employees.

If by "process all mail that is posted through footpath post boxes unstamped" you mean that they won't 'cancel' the stamps with their postmark, then I'm a little worried about buyers being able to determine postage time - for DSRs and feedback - if the items are delayed in delivery.

If it just means articles without stamps will be processed, then that's different.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 05:33:39 AM »
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 08:11:44 AM »
Anyone sending things without stamping them in the expectation or hope that they'll be delivered because of the strike is skating on cracked ice. It might NOT give away beneath his feet and plunge him into icy relentless waters... but it might.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 08:49:56 AM »
Postal strike to hit delivery of presents

http://www.smh.com.au/national/postal-strike-to-hit-delivery-of-presents-20091214-ksd0.html

A CHRISTMAS mail strike by tens of thousands of postal workers will spread to bans on parcel sorting, disrupting present delivery.

Australia Post said it has granted pay increases of 12 per cent to staff since 2007, and was offering a 4 per cent pay rise next year.

(A lot of employees in other industries would be more than happy to have received 12% pay increase since 2007 and 4% in 2010.

Thankfully, I posted the last of my gifts last week. I guess it will deter some buyers from buying online with the threat of delays in delivery).

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 09:56:06 AM »
Hey GR8,

If you have to get the swords "blunt", you could contact our old ebay mate "howyergoin" to do the sharpening... He is a professional at it..

I wonder what happened to Howyer, and 75LHtorana, and Towie, and, and... Oh well... nostalgia

:wine:
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 10:11:34 AM »
speaking of which , I happened to notice 2 Dogs was back ... still having problems with every ebay transaction

cueperkins

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 10:15:12 AM »
I'm just making sure that everything I buy is registered...at least then, if they do lose it, they can pay for it.......What a time to go on strike?.....how to win friends and influence people eh?...at Christmas?......I don't disapprove of industrial action when it's warranted, but all I see in this scenario is millions of Aussies getting screwed over at Christmas.....bad timing AP employees.....

The volume alone at Christmas is enough to put most packages at risk of breakage or going missing, so for my money...Rego is a must right now...

BTW...little known fact...when you have a PO box, the mail goes via a different sorting route.....straight to the PO's in question so it is less likely to be mishandled or go missing....By comparison, the other mail is just sent to the major sorting depots and thrown into bins etc....So....having a PO box is a good thing if you buy on ebay regularly...also good for maintaining privacy...

gr8-expectations

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 10:18:30 AM »
british airways cabin staff are also going on a 12 days strike right on xmas will affect millions over there, but the vote was over 92% in favour of doing it with the union because ba have been so obtuse, in aust posts case i think there are a lot more needy cases than theirs for industrial action cupie

the union guy for ba was trying to be very conciliatory but the members feel they are being bullied by ba and not listened to, in their case it sounds genuine... sounds

cueperkins

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 10:23:12 AM »
in aust posts case i think there are a lot more needy cases than theirs for industrial action cupie

I don't doubt it 'T'....but workplace bullying is workplace bullying....and since this recession hit, it's the workers who have suffered the most and still suffer the most. 

Where I live, workers are told it's my way or the highway...wages are grossly underpaid (recent call centre case exposing the employer for ripping off hundreds of workers), the unemployment is such that it's an employers market, so they can choose from a huge 'reserve army' of labour at their whim, and conditions are in the toilet.  OH&S is the last thing on anyone's mind in times of recession and that's when serious injury happens. 

'T'  I could tell you horror stories over several decades of employers taking direct advantage of workers, to the extent that some workers have died as a result.  Traditionally, right throughout history, Workers have been treated like fodder.....you need to do some more reading on Marxist theory my darling.....

The trickle down effect to the punters will only happen when the Rich have reached overflowing.....!!!!

Which is basically Never !!!

Call me 'Worker Ant'.....

gr8-expectations

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 10:27:54 AM »
in aust posts case i think there are a lot more needy cases than theirs for industrial action cupie

I don't doubt it 'T'....but workplace bullying is workplace bullying....and since this recession hit, it's the workers who have suffered the most and still suffer the most. 

Where I live, workers are told it's my way or the highway...wages are grossly underpaid (recent call centre case exposing the employer for ripping off hundreds of workers), the unemployment is such that it's an employers market, so they can choose from a huge 'reserve army' of labour at their whim, and conditions are in the toilet.  OH&S is the last thing on anyone's mind in times of recession and that's when serious injury happens. 

'T'  I could tell you horror stories over several decades of employers taking direct advantage of workers, to the extent that some workers have died as a result.  Traditionally, right throughout history, Workers have been treated like fodder.....you need to do some more reading on Marxist theory my darling.....

The trickle down effect to the punters will only happen when the Rich have reached overflowing.....!!!!

Which is basically Never !!!

Call me 'Worker Ant'.....

cupie you are preaching to the "converted" i agree with all your points (dont die of shock lol) i get it all from charles dickens reading re egalitarian issues... dont need carl marx lol he was the single biggest british reformer and he did it by "preaching" to the masses in weekly parts sold for 2 & 3 p on street corners and amazing literature, highlighting what was going on in the workhouses and schools, himself having been almost in that situation himself but for his talent and ambition/hard work to lift himself above it all

i agree cupie, i agree... lol

cueperkins

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 10:41:26 AM »
I know you do, but I found it odd that you could differentiate a strike by BA vs a strike by AP....in my view, they are both suffering from pretty selfish timing.......After Christmas it wouldn't impact the public quite so much and in that regard, they are not imposing anything on the Employer other than profit loss, which in and of itself is dumb, dumber and dumbest way of negotiating a pay increase that I've ever witnessed.....no, they are imposing it on the public...which is sure to lose them support in droves.... idiots...

When the Trade Union Training Authority opened in Sydney in the 70's, I had a coordinating role for training of shop stewards.....We didn't teach them to behave like thugs..we taught them that negotiation is the key to industrial resolution, along with compromise..Strikes get neither party anywhere unless it's a last resort.  

The problem is that you are training punters hoping they won't become belligerent against management with their peers...(It's a knee jerk reaction...lol).....takes a very mature person to walk amongst the noise and keep their heads about them......

As for the Unions themselves, although I support and believe in the concept of strength in numbers, the way these thugs have built a power base around their own existence, defeats the whole purpose of Collective Bargaining.....JMO  

gr8-expectations

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 10:55:06 AM »
Hi again cupie, wehn i think about it the aust post workers prolly have a good case too, i dont know enough about what they are asking for (nor ba for that matter but the ba union guy on the box on bbc news or somewhere put a pretty compelling case for them) to comment properly, i just am perhaps not as sympathetic to aust post because as a base level consumer all i have seen is slower service, often poor things broken or treated roughly and higher prices, i do know that aust post have a horrible new system of healthcare for their workers where they are almost forced to work sick but the flipside of that is that many workers were taking excessive time off and abusing the sytem plus ruining it for the genuine ill or injured.

re airlines, all we see whether its qantas or ba management is this constant drive for bigger profits for their investors and shareholders and workers be dammed, it looks glamorous but actually flying for a living is detrimental to both family relationships and health long term, companies ad corporations just seem to want more and more out of workers generally for less and less and that is the same for employment, as you say many employers take advantage of workers, employ them on short term contracts to avoid super and other costs when they should be full time, it sucks and there is little foresight, a worker is an investment in their future as well but that gets ignored, on the flip side some workers are a definite liability and dont deliver the performance or reliability required so its a two way street.

i think the message here is that workers will at the end of the day revolt in numbers 9their only real recourse) when comapnies push them just that bit too far and hit them the only place it seems to hurt them, their pocketbook