Author Topic: POSTAGE - the long & the short & the heavy & the light of it  (Read 13080 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
POSTAGE - the long & the short & the heavy & the light of it
« on: December 11, 2009, 04:37:38 PM »
Increasingly buyers like to see eBay sellers charging a postage price consistent with the actual postage cost. They don't mind a small postage & handling fee, but they feel upset if there is a large discrepancy between the postage cost (usually clearly visible to the buyer) and what they were asked to pay - particularly if the item clearly didn't require careful packaging and/or costly boxes, peanuts, bubblewrap, etc.

(Let's exclude for the sake of this argument the type of buyer who doesn't really care about the postage price as long as he/she is happy with the final price. I'm almost one of them - I am a "is the final total an amount I'm willing to pay? and is the postage amount something I'm willing to pay for the sake of this particular item? and can I be confident I won't have to post a faulty/fake item back? and does the seller state he won't refund the postage if there's a problem?" buyer - but let's focus on the buyers who DO care about postage price.)

What would you expect to pay postage-wise for a small item, worth under $50, not heavy (say under 250g), not so incredibly delicate and fragile that it requires layers and layers of bubblewrap?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

cueperkins

Re: POSTAGE - the long & the short & the heavy & the light of it
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 04:46:15 PM »
Around 2.50 grams...at most $3.00 depending on size or if flat, even less....I've had numerous purchases where I've been charged 6.00 regular paid rego and the parcel shows up with postage stamps of $1.10....overcharged to the tune of $4.90.....

Ebay's policy on Excessive Postage requires sellers to post and quote at 'Actual Postage cost'....(but must review that in more detail as the discussion progresses).....and that they should disclose reasonable handling within their listings....as this thread progresses, I'll also try to provide practical but discreet examples of sellers who blatantly overcharge postage...for a number of reasons...some I can substantiate unarguably.....

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 04:51:51 PM »
How would these be packaged? Letter post? Not parcels, of course...
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

cueperkins

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 04:58:40 PM »
Small pieces of jewellery , I'm sure coins would also fit into that description of being relatively flat or inexpensive to ship, yet always so overpriced....

Other sellers will send one small piece of jewellery that would ship for $1.10 'Actual cost' into a prepaid 500 gram bag for $5.00????...like what can they be thinking....but the ones that send it for the $1.10 and charge $6.00 are the ones that annoy me....Ebay require them to state 'actual' Cost of postage and 'reasonable'. packaging/handling??....so how can $4.90 be considered reasonable when an item arrives in an envelope with a tiny piece of bubble wrap around it?...sound like $4.90 worth of packing to anyone else?....

Out of 10 recent purchases at least half arrived at a fraction of the postage cost I paid....others arrived in totally oversized satchels that cost 5 times the actual postage cost...????...

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 05:08:36 PM »
For the coins I bought, seller usually charge between $2 and $4 for regular post. I am happy with that.

Registered mail range from $12 (friendly smaller seller) to $20 (big name seller usually.) I usually stay away from those seller who charge $20.

For seller whom I never bought coin from, I usually offer to pay more on shipping/handling for them to pack properly. Never had any of them entertained my request. So now I just pray for the coin to come in 1 piece.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 05:09:53 PM »
Hmmm....

Would depend on the size and 'protection' necessary.

If a booklet, photograph or print were the item, then protection from bending/creasing would be required.  A corrugated cardboard 'sandwich' might be all that is needed which, if kept under 20mm thickness and within the length/width limits it should go for $1.65 - plus I'd not quibble about $1 to provide that protection. 

So, for that, I'd consider PP&H of $2 would be fantastic, $3 fair, $4 steep and for anything more than that, I'd be nominating the seller for a patch, a parrot and a wooden leg....

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 05:28:43 PM »

Other sellers will send one small piece of jewellery that would ship for $1.10 'Actual cost' into a prepaid 500 gram bag for $5.00????...like what can they be thinking....

That scenario is not hard to understand - but it does not come across as a little bizarre.

When reviewing my seller friend's packing and posting process, they would save a lot of time by standardising their posting options into a number of specific categories, rather than each and every parcel being a custom job.

I'd say this seller uses the tiers delineated by the pre-paid satchels.  They don't have to worry about bags, stamps or cubing - just weigh, seal and throw on a N&A label.

It's a lot more time efficient, even though the buyer is paying a bit more than absolutely necessary on that item.  

However, it then follows that, if the seller were to provide more tiers, their additional time costs would, depending on their operation as a business, need to be covered somehow - and that will mean increases somewhere else ... which the buyer ends up paying for anyway.

This is one balancing act for which I'm going to need to provide some really good solutions... my seller friend won't willingly adopt any idea that puts their buyers at any disadvantage.

cueperkins

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 12:18:04 PM »
It's a lot more time efficient, even though the buyer is paying a bit more than absolutely necessary on that item. 

.....buyers are not paying a little bit more when sellers don't bother to pack cost effectively, they pay four times the actual amount necessary.

I also don't think it's associated with just packing and handling....for instance....just recently I saw a lot of items....flat, no bigger than the size of a 20 cent piece, that would ship for next to nothing. (I know this because I buy often and pre-paypal....Sold on ebay for 7 years).  The postage cost on the listing was $11.00 registered....well out of control.....so, I decided to email the seller and ask why the postage was so high.  I told her that I tend to bid more when the postage is reasonable, and that I use Bank Deposit, not Paypal. 

I had a return email from that seller with an adjusted postage cost of $3.00 regular $6.00 registered.    In this case, it seems that the seller is having to recoup costs imposed upon her by Paypal, and because she can't pass that cost onto consumers legitimately, it is added to postage.  That's $5.00 extra I would have had to pay if I'd simply bid without emailing first or if I used Paypal.  Problem is, b/deposit customers are getting slugged for this massive overpricing even though they use a free payment method?  I don't blame the seller....I blame Ebay......

Given the fact that this seller is prevented from passing the cost of using Paypal over to the consumer legitimately.....a culture is created where they seek to recover those costs via postage and increased cost on the listing price.   It's not the first time I've had this happen.....I always email now and tell the seller I use B/deposit.

I see this whole thing as a deliberate imposition by Ebay, on fair competition.....i.e. using their marketpower to give Paypal a huge advantage over other payment systems at the expense of the seller.........for instance....Let's just say that Sellers were able to pass on the cost of Paypal to the consumer for choosing that service.......

Buyers not wanting to pay for the use of Paypal themselves, would no doubt be choosing b/deposit or other payment methods because they cost nothing.  But Ebay have made it (with RBA's blessing) so sellers are actually funding the use of Paypal.  If it were the other way around, buyers would more than likely veer away from Paypal in droves because who wants to pay an extra fee on top of the overall price including postage?......in other words, Paypal would have to compete legitimately in the consumer marketplace, not underhandedly at the expense of small businesses.

The thing is that most buyers don't know that there is a fee associated with that payment system, but if they were the ones having to pay to use it....I think Paypal would lose customers in droves.....

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 01:38:20 PM »
but if they were the ones having to pay to use it....

I pay the fee. Strangely, some seller doesn't entertain my request when I tell them I will pay the fee. Can't do much to help them.

I had a return email from that seller with an adjusted postage cost of $3.00 regular $6.00 registered.

Interesting here. If you didn't email the seller, and won the item, paid by b/deposit. Do you think the seller will refund the extra fee?

If the answer is no, I see no reason for one to blame ebay and not the seller. If the answer is yes, then at least there is work around. You can still blame ebay, if that is a worthy effort.

Problem is, many seller fail to see ebay as the best marketing platform for their business. Squeeze ebay to the max for your business, and there are many ways to do it.

(Sorry if I am off topic here)

Fair?

cueperkins

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 02:37:16 PM »
Interesting here. If you didn't email the seller, and won the item, paid by b/deposit. Do you think the seller will refund the extra fee?

If the answer is no, I see no reason for one to blame ebay and not the seller. If the answer is yes, then at least there is work around. You can still blame ebay, if that is a worthy effort.

Actually no, I don't think the seller would have automatically refunded it, and still, I will blame Ebay for creating this type of culture that didn't previously exist....... where sellers have to add costs on here and there to recoup fees on a payment system they don't choose or wish to pay for. 

Hands up any sellers here who wish to pay for the buyers use of Paypal, and/or....... how many actually prefer to be payed by Bank Deposit costing neither party a cent?

If Paypal were not a mandatory option that same seller would have the right to refuse Paypal....unless the buyer were willing to pay the fee.   If Ebay hadn't lobbied the RBA heavily to disallow traders from passing those fees on...then the same seller could list that as an added fee in the listing without fear of being punitively sanctioned.

Low...why do you think the ACCC disallowed Ebay from imposing 'Paypal Only'????......Because it was considered to be anti competitive in the EFT marketplace, and thereby in breach of TPA for exclusive dealing.  Do you think for a second that Ebay didn't already know that it was in breach of TPA before they even proposed it?....try anything.....They managed to get Mandatory Paypal Option past ACCC, but then it came to light that they were deterring other payment methods via site propaganda and the checkout system itself......

That got the attention of RBA and Payment Systems board for several reasons...one was associated with being anti competitive, and the other was associated with Paypal's refusal to allow traders to pass costs onto consumers?......

The way competition works is that each product competes on its own merit....and consumers decide which one meets their needs.......

The way Ebay has this all set up, Paypal doesn't have to compete....the cost of using their service cannot be passed onto the consumer, so it has the appearance to buyers that they are getting it for free, when in fact, it's being funded by the seller.  If traders were allowed to pass on the cost of Paypal to consumers as other payment method costs can be passed on.....then Paypal would have to improve its buyer protection to make the fee worthwhile for the consumer to choose it over other payment methods....all healthy in the world of competition...under those circumstances, a listing might look like this:

PAYMENT OPTIONS:
Cash on Pick up:    Free
Bank Deposit :       Free
Money Order:        $3.00 paid by consumer to AP
Personal Cheque:   Free (shipped on clearance - bank fee?)
Paymate:              (Whatever fee they charge to transfer funds)
Paypal:                 ( Percentage of final price and postage). 
Merchant Facility:  (whatever fee charged by bank to trader). 

As you can see, the payment products then compete on their own merit and cost, and the seller is able to be up front about the costs from the outset.  The buyer chooses the payment system that suits them according to the advantages offered by that payment system.  I always pay registration on my purchases...and that's my choice as a consumer...I want the extra protection, so I pay the extra fee.....same should apply to Paypal...if you want to swallow their rubbish about buyer protection, then the buyer should pay the fee for that fallacy....

Ebay create the culture of deception because sellers are not allowed to pass Paypal costs onto consumers openly...... prior to the Paypal Push, sellers were free to offer whatever payment system they liked, and refuse any they didn't like.....A LOT has changed.

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 03:23:23 PM »
Hi Cupie,

I know, I know. I probably don't know much details about the law, but I sure read about this matter in few other forum since last year.

What I don't understand is, paypal is one mandatory option, but not the only option. What I read is, many Australian hate paypal. Fair enough.

What I can relate is: People can pay with paypal, b/deposit, cash on pickup, etc. And people hate paypal. So now who is using paypal here? Is it only me?

I asked this question in another forum but I never get one.

Now, I do not love ebay or paypal. It is just a platform for me and the seller to meet. If the seller move, I will follow. I can't move before the seller. I can't abandon paypal (some seller accept credit card and I obliged happily) as that is the safest way seller think I (as oversea buyer) should be using. Simple as that. I don't visit ebay for the sake of loving it. Never. I go where I can find what I want.

OZtion is promoted as a good alternative. I have no objection. I use it. But OZ make it difficult for oversea buyer which is a minus. Again no objection here. Now seller has a good alternative, but do we see many good listings in OZ? Maybe not. I don't know why.

Sure ebay has introduced many silly things. People have been wishing ebay to fall apart for years. But that has not happen. I appreciate all the good effort people put in to voice their concern to the authority.

Until all the good things happen, don't you think people should also divert portion of their effort to help OZ or other alternative? But do we see any?

At least make good use of ebay while you are at it (fighting the odd), to drive some business to your preferred platform (OZ, your website, any where, maybe this forum). Why just rely on ebay? That I don't understand.

Regards,
Low

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 03:27:55 PM »
If Paypal were not a mandatory option that same seller would have the right to refuse Paypal....unless the buyer were willing to pay the fee.

I believe this is not true. Few years ago, ebay cancelled my listings because I explicitly mentioned buyer to pay the fee should they choose paypal. Was told this violates their policy.

cueperkins

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 03:36:21 PM »
Yes and......that's the whole point....

This is a bit like 'Who's on First'.....lol

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 03:37:44 PM »
Hi, low-enghooi,

I believe Cupie was speaking in the conditional tense. If the scenario Cupie outlined were to be the case (that is, if the ACCC made a ruling that PayPal would not have to be a mandatory option offered by sellers), and if the seller could also indicate that the buyer paid the PayPal fee for using PayPal, then sellers would have the right to refuse PayPal unless the buyer were willing to pay the fee.

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 03:50:24 PM »
Thanks everyone. Appreciate your opinion.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 04:05:09 PM »
Low, I use PayPal all the time. As a buyer I use it funded by my creditcard so that I have two options for claiming a refund if there are any problems with the transaction. As a seller, I'm not overjoyed about the fees but it is quick and convenient and so far I've had no problems. There is always the risk of a buyer making a claim of Item not Received then PayPal automatically refunds the purchase price, no investigation, unless the seller has used trackable shipping.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 04:12:46 PM »
Just a quick postage tale ..

Yesterday I had two presents to post. Identical contents, identical packaging, both going to Queensland. At the post office one weighed 501g and one 498g. The postage would have cost me $11 and $5.60. A difference of over $5 for a couple of grams! Luckily the post office staff kindly manually changed the weight of the first parcel to 500g and charged me $5.60 for each of them.

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 04:24:41 PM »
Cool!

golden

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 05:59:27 PM »
Hi Cupie, Low, wheels and others.  As a coin buyer, yes they are easily/light weight/ to post.  I think we all like to see we are NOT getting ripped off with postage. A normal envelope is not good enough for me.  I would atleast like to see them in a CD/Disc mailer or postpak.  We all know they are worth about $1.10 each at AP or $40 per 100.  You do not need to be a very big seller to justify buying a 100.  A thank you note or hand written thank you is also appreciated.  So therfor the packaging, plus some time and driving to P.O. (against policy I believe) can only be worth $3 or $4.  Then if you want registered the extra $2.80 is justified and should be paid by the buyer.  To see large sellers at $9 to $12 is against all MY principles.  The smaller sellers seem to be the ones doing the right thing, with your item arriving in the week you pay for it,  the expensive post can take 3 weeks and that's even more of a frustration.

I don't want to get off topic but it's the SELLERS who are jumping up and down about paypal. Not the buyers.  Why shouldn't we be afforded this option? YES we need other options as well. And NO I don't want to support another ebay owned company,

cueperkins

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 09:25:44 PM »
Golden, it's not just sellers jumping up and down actually, because buyers cop the extra fees that paypal impose one way or another...... these days I'm a buyer, and I use only Bank Deposit....I once was a trader/collector, but I won't offer Paypal because I don't wish to be associated with that payment system, either as a buyer or seller...Their UA spells it all out....I'm kinda getting sick of pointing out that they are not EFT signatories and their UA reverses all imaginable risk, requiring a link or debit authority to a bank account or CC....it's a disaster waiting to happen and when it does, consumers won't be indemnified....simple as that.

I don't trust them as far as account security is concerned, and as for buyer protection....don't kid yourself...some members here used paypal for purchases and got ripped off regardless....the buyer guarantee is only as good as the sellers paypal balance.....if they have nothing in their account, there's nothing to fund a refund, so everything about Paypal is by defacto......

Can't you see anything wrong with anyone being forced to use a payment system they don't trust?...and for good reason?...

And as I said, the fact that Paypal is pushed onto sellers, does nothing more than raise the cost of the item or the postage....either way, buyers cop it.

I'll do a review of the bigger sellers when I get time this week, against Ebay's excessive postage policy...and we'll see what we find...I know already that sections like jewellery, coins stamps, etc, are already full of sellers with OTT postage and no differentiation in their listings between actual postage, and 'handling/packing costs'....oh and paypal fees that they can't mention or else.....

Oh and I agree...I wouldn't waste my time supporting an Ozzie site that can't get out of it's own way when it comes to marketing, and for that matter, in it's penchant to be a mini me of Ebay, right down to the UA and troll filled forums.....hardly innovative.

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 10:43:24 PM »
I'll do a review of the bigger sellers when I get time this week, against Ebay's excessive postage policy...

This is interesting. From one of the most reputable seller (also one I hate most)

"Contact the seller for postage costs and services to Europe, Asia, United States, Canada, New Zealand."

I know he charge $20 for registered post to Malaysia. Is $20 a fair amount? Not that his packing is fantastic. In fact not at all.

Another auction house charge $22.

These seller don't offer regular post for lower price item.

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 10:45:50 PM »
I'll do a review of the bigger sellers when I get time this week, against Ebay's excessive postage policy...

This is interesting. From one of the most reputable seller (also one I hate most)

"Contact the seller for postage costs and services to Europe, Asia, United States, Canada, New Zealand."

I know he charge $20 for registered post to Malaysia. Is $20 a fair amount? Not that his packing is fantastic. In fact not at all.

Another seller (auction house) charge $22.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 11:43:08 PM »

Another auction house charge $22.

Hi low,

in answer to your question, here is the link to the Australia Post Calculator

http://www1.auspost.com.au/pac/

what you can do is get the dimensions and weight (hopefully they are on the ad or ask the seller first) and his sending postcode, enter that data into the calculator and method of sending and it will calculate it for you and show you the postage costs.

that sounds expensive for just coins, depending on weight and size but to give you an idea, this last week i sent a book to the US weighing just less than 500 grams and that was only $18.00 odd, and malaysia is much closer, if ever you are worried about a shipment and dont want to get ripped on postage either me or maybe one of the coin people could get it sent to them  or me and i forward it on, that way if you were buying a few items you can combine very cheaply, i would be happy to help anytime and you can check my bonafides with countess, that way the seller sends locally within australia and we can send on to you hopefully quite cheaply either singly or as a consolidated shipment.

just message me if ever you need to do this or use the above link after asking the seller some questions, you are covered on any purchase up to $50.00 for loss of item in post with any seller without purchasing insurance but they need to provide their aussie post receipt for the airmail to be able to claim and it take six weeks, if i sent it for example, i would probably send registered airmail if it was over $50.00 which is safest for you.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 11:44:41 PM »
for the above link for small coins just select the "registered airmail rate" after you have determined rate, i think you will find its much cheaper than what he is charging, also one of your coin people mentioned today it is best to send coins in the cd packs or similar to protect them and especially international

gr8-expectations

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, 11:47:19 PM »
low i just checked and to Malaysia registered would be $12.00 Aus for up to 500 grams DLE size, so thats a few coins i would imagine and registered includes up to $100 insurance plus you can add more if required quite reasonably

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 01:31:04 AM »
Many thanks gr8 for your very kind help.  :t2:

I must say all but the few big name seller are very fair in the postage. And I don't buy from those seller anymore. Now I mainly buy coins from few members here and all of them are very kind to me.

cueperkins

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 08:32:12 AM »
Morning Low....are you in Malaysia?.....didn't know that...lol.  I'm sure Smee has an Acme Post company somewhere in his massive portfolio........lol

As GR8 has said, the postage shouldn't cost as much as you are being quoted.....

As I said, I'm going to review the excessive postage policy and set up some criteria for identifying sellers overcharging on postage and failing to differentiate packing/handling in their listings.  I'm sure we're going to find a majority doing it....some probably because they don't understand the policy, some blatantly ignoring it and recouping paypal fees, and some not even being aware of it....

But just consider how much extra it's costing a buyer if they buy regularly......I've bought 10 items lately, and I would estimate that I've paid almost 25.00 - 30.00 in excessive or overquoted postage...that's on top of the actual cost.....so trust me...buyers notice....and it gives decent sellers a bad name. 

I also buy from a number of sellers who go out of their way to minimise postage cost.....They stand out, and I buy from them often.....so there is a reward for the seller who persists...they get known for reasonable postage and their volume of sales increase....works a bit like that in my view..

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2009, 08:47:08 AM »
Postage of some coins can be more than you would expect...

If you (me) have a collection of RAM proof coins that you want to sell (i did), the postage is BIG..

Because each coin (or set) comes in a lavish presentation case as well as being inside a plastic capsule... This is all inside a colourful thin cardboard box...

Buyers of these coins expect that ALL the packaging be in pristine condition, meaning that the "coin" and it's associated outer packaging be encased in poly peanuts (or equivalent) inside a sturdy postage box...

Of course, registered post to protect the seller is a must, and postage of a single coin can often cost around $10 (in Australia) and much more for overseas...

Doing things properly in this field is a must.... I had two complaints on packaging early in my collection sales, and quickly leant the better methods, and never had another complaint in several hundred sales.

Cheers

If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

gr8-expectations

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2009, 10:01:54 AM »
Postage of some coins can be more than you would expect...

If you (me) have a collection of RAM proof coins that you want to sell (i did), the postage is BIG..

Because each coin (or set) comes in a lavish presentation case as well as being inside a plastic capsule... This is all inside a colourful thin cardboard box...

Buyers of these coins expect that ALL the packaging be in pristine condition, meaning that the "coin" and it's associated outer packaging be encased in poly peanuts (or equivalent) inside a sturdy postage box...

Of course, registered post to protect the seller is a must, and postage of a single coin can often cost around $10 (in Australia) and much more for overseas...

Doing things properly in this field is a must.... I had two complaints on packaging early in my collection sales, and quickly leant the better methods, and never had another complaint in several hundred sales.

Cheers

brickie thats so true, i find that with books, someone has paid a lot for a rare book, the last part of getting it safely to them (that we sellers can control to some extent, pending aussie posts treatment of same in transit) is to make sure it has enough packing to ensure safe arrival, i go overboard or used to, one thing the culture of cheap postage has created is a frowning upon overpacking and the associated costs (cant count the number of times i have had to pay more myself than charged) for something to arrive safely as as described and intended solid strong packing is required and those coins are a good example of the "flip" side, but cupies points are relevant too, buyers go back to sellers who are reasonable on postage costs, its true so its a fine line indeed....

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2009, 11:04:58 AM »
Morning Low....are you in Malaysia?.....didn't know that...lol.  I'm sure Smee has an Acme Post company somewhere in his massive portfolio........lol

Morning Cupie. Yes, I am in Malaysia. Probably the only one in the forum. Still waiting for Smee's quotation. Where is Smee?  ;D

brickie thats so true, i find that with books, someone has paid a lot for a rare book, the last part of getting it safely to them (that we sellers can control to some extent, pending aussie posts treatment of same in transit) is to make sure it has enough packing to ensure safe arrival, i go overboard or used to, one thing the culture of cheap postage has created is a frowning upon overpacking and the associated costs (cant count the number of times i have had to pay more myself than charged) for something to arrive safely as as described and intended solid strong packing is required and those coins are a good example of the "flip" side, but cupies points are relevant too, buyers go back to sellers who are reasonable on postage costs, its true so its a fine line indeed....

You are right gr8. I have so much headache to tell the seller to please use harder material to pack the notes and assure them I will bear all the cost. I don't know for what reason, some of them just not interested in entertaining me. Many times, what a UNC notes arrived with a light bend, and become AUNC.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2009, 11:43:17 AM »

Morning Cupie. Yes, I am in Malaysia. Probably the only one in the forum. Still waiting for Smee's quotation. Where is Smee?  ;D

You are right gr8. I have so much headache to tell the seller to please use harder material to pack the notes and assure them I will bear all the cost. I don't know for what reason, some of them just not interested in entertaining me. Many times, what a UNC notes arrived with a light bend, and become AUNC.

low that would annoy me too if, for example, I bought a nice book and the seller sent it badly packed, same with coins, if ever you do need help after you have bought something dont be afraid to ask, one of us can liaise to explain to the seller and maybe get them to ship it locally and then send on, its no problem really and we or I can do better packing for you, quite often I am sure if its local it may have more chance of getting to the first stop in better condition and consolidating a number of purchases into one pack will save you on actual postage costs, the very honest coin sellers here though sound like they are doing a very godo job for you and at the end of the day you know you have purchased something of quality that will arrive in very good condition.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2009, 11:46:03 AM »
Hi Low, I think Smee has been busy moving Smee Enterprises to a new location. I'm sure he'll get back to you with postage quotations soon.

I have only just started selling on eBay and I've probably gone overboard with my packaging but I send things the way I would like to receive them. Plenty of packaging and well protected in bubble mailers or sturdy shipping cartons.

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2009, 12:00:30 PM »
Thanks Wheel.

I did the same thing the very few times I sent the notes. Many layer of wrapping, that I am sure will take the buyer quite some time to unwrap.

Thanks again gr8. I will let you know when I need help. Now I realize I have many friends. So good feeling.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2009, 12:17:50 PM »
Morning Cupie. Yes, I am in Malaysia. Probably the only one in the forum. Still waiting for Smee's quotation. Where is Smee? 

Hello Low ... I will base my postal qoutation to you the same way as the cabbies in KL base their fares to me when I was there ... 20 Ringit anywhere

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2009, 05:11:01 PM »
20 Ringgit anywhere

Oops. Unfortunately I don't have any say on their fares. I am sorry for the bad experience you have in KL. I know how rude these people can be. I never like KL. I am staying in a small island call Penang. If you come to Penang, I will take you anywhere within the island, FOC.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2009, 05:15:51 PM »
hahahahah Low I wasnt complaining 20 ringit was very cheap

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2009, 05:29:20 PM »
Hahaha Smee.

In a recent survey tourists listed errant taxi drivers as their worst complaint.

Happy to hear you are not complaining. Thanks.

golden

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2009, 05:39:23 PM »
Looks like the next "coin forum" will be held in Penang then.   :delivery: :coinspin: :coolfan: :icecube: :fridge: :beerontap: :drinkwine: :romanrelax:

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2009, 05:58:57 PM »
Hahaha. Lovely idea Paul.  ;D

cueperkins

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2009, 05:35:22 PM »
OK...here's another example of sellers going out of there way to cost buyers the most in postage costs...laziness maybe?

I just bought a lot of jewellery on Ebay, and it's big, so I asked the seller if she can send it in a prepaid satchel approx. 10.00...I'll pay rego = 12.80, (b/deposit, so no paypal fees for her) and she sends me an email saying that she's already boxed it, and it will be 15.00 regular due to cubing no doubt.....if any less she'll refund?...huh? 

I emailed back saying look, I'm a repeat buyer, the jewellery is scrap jewellery I bought for the stones only, so it's not precious, and that she could just as easily stick it in a used cereal box and put it in a satchel for 12.80 registered or there abouts...otherwise, it will be 17.80 registered ????...well under 2kg?.....

I know to some that this might sound finicky but just consider if you buy 10 things in a week and each seller takes the most expensive route including cubing, costing 5.00 extra per item...that's a massive 50.00 extra in unnecessary postage cost to the buyer....like where are their heads at?

Some sellers are just lazy.....

Bazza

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2009, 06:36:21 PM »
Cupie. Wouldn't it be wise to sort out the postage method and cost prior to committing to the purchase? I hope the seller isn't going to cop a hiding on their feedback or DSR for choosing their own postage method.