Author Topic: I Nearly Got Phished  (Read 9456 times)

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
I Nearly Got Phished
« on: June 04, 2010, 09:18:11 PM »
I have to say it was pretty clever

what gave it away was the email address it was sent to ..... and address that is solely used to receive my paypal payments - I have never ever given it out to anyone

here is the email I got

Subject:    eBay item #120566342392 - New .... Oran Quality Red Genuine Leather Tote Handbag
   Date:    4 June 2010 8:18:28 PM AEST
   To:    xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx

Hello,

I don't know if you received my first email regarding your ebay item. I would like to know if the price includes shipping. I'm very interested to buy it but I'm a little bit confused.

I saw the same product with worldwide shipping included, listed at a cheaper price on www.xxxx-xxxxxxxx.com

Please let me know at your earliest convenience if I'm speaking here with the same seller. Thank you.

Best regards,

Marie Bryan

I did a google search on the site with the cheaper price, a supposed auction site, the search results showed the site as "<>"   ..... that was it no details just <>

it was then I knew it was phishy

I have sent it off to spoof @ ebay ............. great lot of good that will do

more to the point I changed my paypal payments email address immediately

the item number and description in the subject line are real

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Re: I Nearly Got Phished
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 09:22:51 PM »
Phelafelen Phishers!
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 09:24:47 PM »

I wonder if this shiit goes on at other auction sites or just Ebay sellers targeted ?...

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 09:33:50 PM »
Ask them.
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 09:35:32 PM »
bnwt, I'd seen a couple of posts recently on the eBay boards about that type of email and I've just finished changing over my eBay and PayPal addresses. I've actually been meaning to do it for ages but this is a good reminder to be alert and regularly change passwords etc. I've also noticed that 2 items sold earlier tonight (before I started changing stuff) and only one email has come through from PayPal. The item shows as paid in eBay and I checked in PayPal and it is definitely paid. Does PayPal have Friday night glitches as well as eBay?

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 09:45:50 PM »

Wheels... Ebays second id is Glitchbay Inc.. LOL

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 09:48:55 PM »
one of the many fantastic features that comes with all iMacs is the Bounce button

on the email client oddly enough called Mail there is a button you can hit that will bounce the email back to the sender so it appears the email address is not valid or whatever that blurb is you get when an email bounces  ...... fatal error  etc etc etc etc unable to deliver blar blar blah

it's very handy and I hope Marie Bryan is saddened to see my email address has bounced

hah ha ha ha ha hahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahaha

and I've set my email to automatically bounce any new emails that come to the address "she" used

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 09:55:34 PM »

retribution

• Knight of the RT
  • Hey! Don't clap. Throw me money makes less noise!
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 11:18:38 AM »
Hi

I kept getting emails from a site open to general public that said in brief, "You are going to be reported for spamming other Members." Then the legal consequences etc., if I didn't immediately stop the practice? Also that my ISP would be contacted etc.

I hadn't visited this site for well over a year and couldn't even remember the ID or password I had used at the time. So couldn't enter site to talk to admin.

So I contacted Admin through an email address at bottom of the emails sent.

Then I got an email telling me to hit a line of URL that said in effect; "I promise I will not spam again etc"

I sent another email telling them in effect to go and get flocked.

Then the site admin contacted me again saying in effect it wasn't them sending me emails but a "Guy in Russia" and that I should protect myself by going to a site where you can register Spammers etc., re copies of emails. So I wouldn't get blamed for spamming in future re their Members.

Again I told them in as many words to go and get flocked.

The emails with the threats kept coming for about a month and haven't seen one again since then. I had by then put addy in my Spam emails.(Some 6 months)

So I made the error of answering in the first place. As soon as I stopped that end came to a halt eventually.

:crazy:

PS This of course is not Phishing. But "Fishing" for a sucker who falls for the bait. LOL

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 12:04:16 PM »
I am still under attack

this guy is really clever

I just had a real ebay sale  .................... (over night I turned off the automatic email bounce on Mail and set it flag a warning alarm instead)

then I get an email with the warning alarm so it was sent to the now invalid address

it looks real likes it's from eBay .. it says  Dear bnwt,

The buyer has sent their payment for the item listed below and it is currently being processed by PayPal. You can also sign into your PayPal account now to check the status of this payment.

and there is a button to click  "Claim your payment"

I called paypal just to confirm the old email address was no longer valid .. they confirmed it's been removed

this guy just wont give up

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 12:19:32 PM »
Have you looked at the source code of the email? You may be able to see from where the email is actually coming.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 12:46:51 PM »
the source code believe it or not is  ebay@ebay.com.au

of course why would eBay be sending a paypal email ???

I wonder what is the story with the alleged buyer ......... is that someone else whose account has been hacked ??

the buyer checks out real ... been a member for years, street address is real

is it the hacker ?????

retribution

• Knight of the RT
  • Hey! Don't clap. Throw me money makes less noise!
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 12:55:20 PM »
the source code believe it or not is  ebay@ebay.com.au

of course why would eBay be sending a paypal email ???

I wonder what is the story with the alleged buyer ......... is that someone else whose account has been hacked ??

the buyer checks out real ... been a member for years, street address is real

is it the hacker ?????

That is very similar in a way to the one I mentioned. The source being the site that reckoned the emails I was receiving came from Russia?

It was a public site much like Ebay selling goods etc. Just the simple registration process to become a Member.

:crazy:

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
is it the hacker ?????

NO

he's a real buyer wanting to buy one of my wallets

the trouble is ........ no thanks to the filipino morons at the paypal AND ebay help desk .......... because all my listings still have the now deleted paypal payment email all payments will keep being sent to that address

so the claim your payment email from eBay was real

thankfully I rang eBay a second time and this time managed to get onto the help desk in Utah .... and as I have said previously they are just brilliant .... Colleen sorted out the problem in 2 minutes ....... explained what was going on

I had to go back into paypal and add the old address and use it as a secondary address (until all my current listings have expired) ... simple as

as soon as I had done that my buyers payment arrived and everyone is happy

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
I changed the PayPal email address on all listings to the new address (I couldn't find a way to do a bulk edit so I did them one by one) and have left the previous address in the PayPal account. Now we're getting three emails when an item sells. One to say 'Your item Sold', one which must be a copy of what the buyer receives 'You bought this item' and one from PayPal to say payment received.

How do I turn off the 'You bought this item' email? I've looked through preferences in eBay but can't find it. Sorry, brain is not functioning properly today.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 03:24:19 PM »
Wheels try this ?

To turn email notifications on or off:

Go to My eBay
Sign in if requested
Go to My Account in the left-hand navigation
Click the ebay  Preferences
Go to eBay Preferences view
Click the view/change link next to notification preferences
Go to the Legal and Other Emails section

or it could just say communication preferences .... cant remember not logged in at moment ....will check later

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 03:37:53 PM »
 :blonde:

Thanks Smee, but I've looked all through the preferences and can't find the relevant box to tick or untick.  :blownose:

I think I may just go back to bed.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2010, 03:40:12 PM »
or if you really wanted to waste half an hour of your life and get a link to something that has absolutely nothing to do with what you want to know ...............................................................................

ask live help  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :rofl: :rofl:

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2010, 11:06:50 PM »
Smee, Thank you for your helpful advice but I've decided not to try Live Help.

I still haven't found any box to tick/untick and it only gets weirder!

Last night - 2 sales, only one email from PayPal to say payment received but both sales appear in eBay as paid and both payments are in PayPal

Today - 3 sales, eBay sends the extra email for only one of the sales, and not the others?

Off to watch the tennis now.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2010, 11:47:46 AM »
something occurred to me this morning

I can do a search on who owns the domain name of the alleged auction site that came with my phishing email

the results are :
XXXX Auctions
Frank Hendershot ()
Fax:
315 Walter Ave.
Pen Argyl, PA 18072
US
Idearc Media Corp
SuperPages.com Support (domainadmin@mysuperpageshosting.com)
+1.8004288722
Fax: +1.8004288722
651 Canyon Drive
Coppell, Texas 75019
US

I did a google search for Idearc Media and found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeK5UboXJyg

then I searched Idearc Media Scam .................. it seems they have been busy

just for the record google earth shows Walter Ave Pen Argyl as a tiny little dead end lane in the bush with one small house

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 10:44:59 PM »
Wheels, I have had the same thing happening lately- either one, or maybe two,,,, sometimes 3 emails with a sale.

Very confusing.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 11:48:44 PM »
Bella, at least the buyers are paying!

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 11:57:42 PM »
bnwt, there is a post on one of the eBay boards about your same scammer.

http://forums.ebay.com.au/topic/Powersellers/Paypal-Scamming-Warning/500127005

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 12:03:40 AM »
not everyone gets to see it though 

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 12:11:25 AM »
Sorry Smee, didn't realise it was on the pssst board!

Hello,

I don't know if you received my first email regarding your ebay item. I would like to know if the price includes shipping. I'm very interested to buy it but I'm a little bit confused.

I saw the same product with worldwide shipping included, listed at a cheaper price on www.[website deleted]

Please let me know at your earliest convenience if I'm speaking here with the same seller. Thank you.

Best regards,
Marie Bryan

surf-inside

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 03:41:03 PM »
Wherever there is money, there are crooks around to try and steal it. Phishing is as common as spam.  Spam is often phishing.  I had a guy who bought an XBOX 360 from me, he lived right down the street from me, but wanted it shipped to India, to some guy named Mohammad. Paypal said "OK To Ship" but I knew it was a phished paypal account transaction.

So walked down the street, knocked on the Paypal account holder's door, and asked him if he bought an Xbox from me and he said no.  I already knew the answer.

So I waited 4 days, to see if Paypal would catch it, and they didn't.  I called them to alert them, then refunded the money to buyer who lives down the street. Then opened a cancel transaction case in the resolution center, but the phisher refused to cancel the transaction and demanded that I send him the Xbox.  I never got my FVF back.  But the Paypal account holder got his money returned from me.

It seemed obvious to me that the phisher used a paypal account of someone who was geographically close to me in order to lull me into a sense of security.  He deliberately targeted me, using a neighbor's account, to squash any suspicions.

But when someone name John Smith wants to buy merchandise and send it to Mohammad Terrorist, that's awfully phishy! :D

BTW, If you use GarageSale (like I do) the Ship To address shown in GarageSale does NOT match the Ship To Address in Paypal, if the account has been phished.  Why?  Because GarageSale uses the Ebay API ship to address, while Paypal (or GaragePay) uses the Paypal API ship to address. 

Another case of the left hand not talking to the right hand.  And in this case, the left hand had a hairy palm.