Author Topic: Is Australia Post Completely Useless ??  (Read 22555 times)

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Is Australia Post Completely Useless ??
« on: April 08, 2010, 07:48:43 PM »
you may be aware that Australia Post have recently revamped their website

I was delighted to see that you can now track Express & Registered Post items ... excitedly I have informed customers that have opted for these delivery methods that they can now keep abreast of the progress of their delivery by going to the Aust. Post website ... I include the link in the email I send them

oh but how sad and tragic it is when I found out today that the parcel does not appear on the Australia Post website until it has reached it's destination sorting centre

that is to say if I send a parcel from Sydney to Cairns ... the parcel is not visible on the web site until it reaches the Cairns sorting centre .. even when the parcel details are input into the system at my local post office

talk about a complete waste of time

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Is Australia Post Completely Useless ??
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 07:51:54 PM »
bnwt, I think it depends on the individual PO and whether they scan the parcel immediately. Sometimes my Registered Post items appear straight away as Lodged by Sender and is fully trackable. Other times, when I have used a different PO, the parcel doesn't appear in the system even after I know it has been delivered and signed for.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 08:06:36 PM »
this happens internationally often too bnwt

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 11:51:26 PM »
I sometimes take my seller friend's registered items down to the post office for them.  A couple of weeks ago (knowing the scanning is only done at the delivery centre) I requested they scan the items in at lodgement.  The person on the counter did not know if it could be done and referred my request to the manager.

I was informed they only scan items on lodgement for international destinations.  They never said they couldn't do it, but they weren't going to scan them - even when I explained the problems facing eBay sellers where online tracking wasn't available until late in the item's transit.

Later I called the Australia Post Help Line and raised the same issue with them over the phone.  While understanding, I was told the same thing ... only international items are scanned at lodgement.  I made the suggestion that, with all the facilities already available in post offices, such an exercise would be very simple, quick and with the emerging trends in postal issues, appropriate.

I got the distinct impression they understood exactly what I was saying (which is good) and that my suggestion would be 'passed on' (oh-oh).

Crossing my fingers - but not holding my breath.

Some sellers have reported they have this 'scanning in' done at their post office and I went looking for any Australia Post procedures to back up my request - but I found my searches yielding nothing but a lot of hits on unrelated topics.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
Brumby, I haven't sent anything Registered for a while but one PO that I go to scans every Registered Parcel as soon as I hand it over. When it is scanned in at the Post Office the tracking looks something like this:

date and time  Delivered ...
date and time  Onboard with driver ...
date and time  Processed at facility ...
date and time  Lodged by customer at ... PO

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 12:42:13 AM »
Next time you're by there - could you ask:

1. is it policy (If so - can you get the document name and reference)
2. are they just doing it because they like to
or
3. has somebody asked them to do it

?

These steps are in 'most recent at the top' order - and the first 3 are what you will (or should) get for any registered article:
date and time  Delivered ...
date and time  Onboard with driver ...
date and time  Processed at facility ...

But this is the one I asked for.....
date and time  Lodged by customer at ... PO

I'm guessing here ... but I bet they didn't take long to do the scans, did they?

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 02:28:06 AM »
I find Australia Post to be hot & cold. I ordered & paid for some stuff from a (non Ebay) seller in Denman in the Hunter Valley about 9.30 on Wednesday morning. It arrived by normal post at 8.00 Thursday morning (I'm in South West Sydney). Yet something posted from the next suburb might take two or three days, if not longer, to arrive.

Beats me!   

gr8-expectations

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 10:08:16 AM »
I agree with ubs they run hot and cold but at the rates they charge they need to lift their game, parcel to Canada cost a bundle like $44.50, only 1.25 to 1.50 kg, registered (they didnt have a postal agreement allowing registered for a long time, now do), parcel took 3 weeks airmail, some of that was at the other end but WAY too slow for the price paid

over the top our postage

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 02:20:20 AM »
You said the secret word .... Canada!

Canada Post is renowned for slow mail service (it's not Australia Post).

I remember an instance a couple of years back where somebody in the USA posted two things on the same day - one to Australia and one to Canada.  The one to Australia was received and an item posted back to them in response.  This RETURN item was received by the guy in the USA before his one to Canada was delivered.

I've seen this criticism on Canadian as well as US forums.....

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 02:33:21 AM »
Apart from registered mail postage, I have no complain.

Most of the time, I use regular mail. Very reasonable postage. Always consistently fast delivery (average 6 working days) and safe. I am happy.

golden

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 02:43:13 AM »
this is a linc to the state of our PO at present.  Its quite a hot topic locally. Can anyone tell me how you make income as a PO owner? Is it a percentage of throughput?

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/news/local/news/general/sad-ending-likely-for-happy-jacks-store/1798120.aspx

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 10:19:34 AM »
Our local store before it closed was a PO licence , the two previous owners said that the PO profit was only about $200 a week not worth the 20 man hours a week it took time wise. However it was the major draw card for people to buy cokes, chips, take away food which was profitable.

Sad every one wants supermarket prices, choice and 24  hour shopping. The community store is dying worldwide.

This is very worring for internet shopping not just internet auctions

http://www.news.com.au/national/postal-deliveries-could-be-scrapped/story-e6frfkvr-1225852291212

Post starting to scrap home deliveries as letter deliveries slow. This is a Post worldwide problem as letter volumes drop, revenues drop, will affect all internet shopping, rural areas next to go? as least profitable?

POSTAL deliveries could be scrapped and residents forced to collect mail from automated community post boxes under a new system.......Door-to-door services would cease and residents would travel to ``community hubs'' where as many as 1200 post boxes would be located

Some rural areas this would mean a 200 km round trio for some of the 1200 residences, Some $100 in time and transport costs per day per residence. Community cost some a $32 million dollar cost per year to that community. Let alone extra wear on roads, rural councils are already losing that battle.

Post office saves $100,000, brilliant community investment!

This stupidity, as well from a city dwelling shiny bu.. idiot.

Residents would be notified by SMS text messages to their mobile phones that they had new mail to collect.

98% of Australia's land mass has NO coverage the network maps lie, they measure by PO if Post office has coverage so does most of post code??????. Well according to network liars sorry, spin doctors

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 08:13:29 PM »
Brum6y, sorry I haven't had a chance to get to the PO, I will try tomorrow. It's been the usual hectic start to the Term, only 11 weeks until the July holidays!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 10:45:08 PM »
Don't fret Wheels.  Been living on the edge with my seller for a while now - another week or so isn't going to matter.

HellWest'nCrooked

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 09:52:38 AM »

Shyer....I see that it is for new communities....I'm not sure it would be all that convenient for the elderly but it would be a great way to get communities together!!!

Another disappearing taken for granted service.

Westie  :ivanhoe:
Ain't no rhyme or reason
No complicated meaning

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 03:48:46 PM »

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 04:22:08 PM »
I've seen that bit about wanting to do away with mail delivery - and I believe one of their claimed benefits is a 'reduced carbon footprint'.

Perhaps their carbon footprint will go down - but instead of one small bike doing a 20km round, we would have over 200 cars making individual 3km trips.  And that's for us city slickers ... would hate to think what it would be for regional and country folk.

Maybe someone should suggest they use both hands for counting...

cueperkins

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 04:52:34 PM »
I rang Aust post today to make a simple enquiry over the issuing of receipts for regular post.....trust me, nothing is ever simple...

My theory is (and I'm sure the law supports this)...that if I pay Aust Post to deliver a parcel via regular post, that they should fulfill that service and deliver the parcel without it going missing.  I get so annoyed having to pay for Rego all the time, simply because Aust Post can't be trusted to do what we pay them to do.....

It all comes down to proof of postage.....if you have that, you can make them accountable for any missing regular parcels....

When I sold on ebay, I ALWAYS got a receipt for regular post because that enables me to claim up to 50.00 from them if they fail to deliver the parcel....Now when you send ordinary parcels, it's not a problem because the register receipt issued, has the postcode on it....But...if you buy satchels whether in Bulk or over the counter, all it records is the purchase of the satchel...no postcode.....So I asked them if Aust Post are required to issue a receipt on request....they couldn't answer that.......but, since Aust Post require consumers to provide proof of postage in order to claim compensation for lost parcels, one would think that we as consumers have a right to ask for a written receipt proving postage of the item in question....

So....the moral is...that if you buy items and don't wish to pay endless registration fees (gawd they add up), then ask the seller you are purchasing from to obtain a receipt whether posting in a satchel or a box. 

Another suggestion Aust Post gave in the absence of any firm policy was that the seller could list the names and addresses of the (satchel) recipients, purchase the satchels, and have Aust Post stamp and sign the list of recipients as proof of postage...either way, Aust Post is made to be responsible if they fail to complete a service they are being paid for in good faith...simple really...lol...

For all you sellers out there....get a receipt even if you have to stand your ground....it's your only proof of postage and bankdeposit customers will thank you for being so dilligent...it will save them 2.70 and you as a seller a LOT of headaches with AP's mishandling when it happens...and it happens...

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 05:31:52 PM »
(It's been $2.80 for a few months, now)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »

Another suggestion Aust Post gave in the absence of any firm policy was that the seller could list the names and addresses of the (satchel) recipients, purchase the satchels, and have Aust Post stamp and sign the list of recipients as proof of postage...either way, Aust Post is made to be responsible if they fail to complete a service they are being paid for in good faith...simple really...lol...

There is no practical way of getting 'proof of postage' at the time of purchase of products like satchels - especially in bulk - unless you came down with all your items pre-packed and ready to slip into a satchel right at the counter.  Even then, the staff would not be pleased, nor would any waiting customers, while you went about your business packing, sealing, addressing - and preventing others from being served.

The only practical way would be to create your own list - with names, addresses, etc. - that Australia Post could check against the lodged articles that you have presented at the counter, completed and ready to go.  Getting them to stamp it as a formal acknowledgement might have a problem if it's not an 'approved' Australia Post form, but you can ask.

cueperkins

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 06:09:22 PM »
That's exactly what was suggested....and in my understanding from a consumer standpoint, if I've already paid for the postage in the satchel price, that's one thing, it could sit there for weeks before I use it...it's proof that the satchel itself was shipped to whatever address, and it's not that much of a hassle brumby.

When you don't use satchels, and you post everyday boxed items, the PO will give you a register receipt as you pay for the postage on each one...with a postcode....there is nothing different with presenting a list of recipients for satchels...and given that AP require proof of postage to the recipient claiming no delivery, then they have to provide proof of postage so as not to obstruct consumers from claiming for legitimate losses.

I'll check with the actual ministers office tomorrow about AP's obligation in this scenario...but I think that it would safe to say that if one turns over goods to AP in satchels, that they should be able to expect AP to sign a receipt acknowledging that the items are in fact in their possession for delivery, and hence, are their responsibility till delivered......seems logical...

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 06:29:20 PM »
Certainly, if there is a requirement for a customer to demonstrate 'proof of postage' in order to persue a claim, then ipso facto Australia Post should provide it for ANY form of valid posting that can be verified by them.

Maybe, as part of this right, we should start a push to have 'intelligent' corner post boxes. Press a button to indicate you want 'proof of postage' before you deposit your article and you get a scan of the item, showing the recipient's name and address, with mail box location, date, time and weight printed on it...!

.... and add to that barcode scanning - so that registered articles can be recorded as well!  (Yes, you can deposit registered articles in corner mail boxes - you just don't get a signed and stamped receipt!)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 04:17:38 PM »
bnwt and brum6y, I have some answers straight from Australia Post. According to my local PO (where all Reg Post articles are always scanned on lodgement):

Full tracking of Registered Post articles was introduced about 12 months ago and is being gradually phased in. It is not yet compulsory to scan on lodgement. Some POs have already started doing it and obviously some haven't. Also, some smaller/older POs may not have full scanning equipment in place yet.

cueperkins

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 05:25:49 PM »
Yep...that's the case with ours....I asked today when posting a parcel whether it was scanned there, but apparently not...it is picked up by a contractor, taken to the nearest depot, and there it is scanned before it leaves there.....So....I'm guessing that depots are the only ones doing it from rural PO's..so it should take at least ten years to bring in here..lol...like most things....

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 09:10:47 PM »
I've just checked the Aus Post tracker and here's one parcel that I sent today:

[attachment deleted by admin]

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 09:01:59 PM »
Feeling a little disenfranchised.  (Cupie, I know you are more familiar with this - but being a townie, it's not a feeling I'm used to.)

The post office I made my approach to is not a small one.  It is a main office, not a sub-branch or agency.  It has 8 serving counters and it is not uncommon to walk in there and see 6 of them manned and busy. I have NEVER been able to walk in and go straight up to a counter. They do passport applications and even have a booth to take photos.  They even have their own hand-held scanner for scanning out trackable items when they are collected.

Does anyone have a reference, article, press release or other documentation that states this?  I would like to be able to read it and see if I could present it to these guys and get them to do it....

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 09:40:20 PM »
Well...I have a feeling that some of the Managers of these Postal Outlets don't actually have much experience or knowledge of the Internet.

Come to think of it....I don't think many postal workers actually have internet connections or know how to keep abreast of all the stuff that we seem to find.

I'm saying this, because my bestest friend from Highschool actually works at the Bendigo PO....and she asks me for advice...lol

A few years back, she stayed with me for a week or so....and I showed her some of the sites I looked at..and the info that could be found there.

There was a bit of a big thing on Ebay at the time with Perfume Sellers and their methods of postage.

Bestie said she was all up with the latest info....but quickly changed her mind when I explained the legal requirements for Flammable goods to be sent through the mail.

Her Boss had just had a training session the week before, and had actually told the staff that perfumes were ok to post without any problems!..lol

I sent her home with all the real information....and her Boss was dumbfounded!

PO staff are drip fed info.....so that may be one of the reasons that each PO is different...and seems to march to their own drum.

Most of the time they don't really know their own rules....so it is up to us to enlighten them...lol

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2010, 12:21:08 AM »

Most of the time they don't really know their own rules....so it is up to us to enlighten them...lol

Seems a bit like eBay and Paypal on that score.....

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2010, 05:27:44 AM »

Seems a bit like eBay and Paypal on that score.....

:10: :roflmao: :bigcalibre: :ebaysign:
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

jwr1au

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010, 10:29:54 PM »
Simple Answer is ....YES

Sent a very expensive piece to LA from Perth 9 days later Oz Post Tracking has the article still at Perth.

Luckily an Honest receiver in LA mailed me to tell me he already had it.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2010, 10:59:34 PM »
Simple Answer is ....YES

Sent a very expensive piece to LA from Perth 9 days later Oz Post Tracking has the article still at Perth.

Luckily an Honest receiver in LA mailed me to tell me he already had it.

When I asked for my domestic registered articles to be scanned in on lodgement, I was told they only do that for international.

So international trackable post IS scanned at lodgement - even my reluctant Post Office do that ... it's getting the domestic stuff scanned which is the problem....

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 12:46:55 PM »
I have sent a parcel to Cairns Registered

it's been delivered because the buyer left feedback

when I check the Australia Post website tracking results it says   "No records match the Search Criteria"

so it appears that parcels may not scanned at either end

useless .. completely bloody useless

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 08:43:21 PM »
Check again tomorrow ... they can be delayed in getting uploaded to the website.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 02:44:42 AM »
My seller updated me on this ... They, too, have had a number of registered articles NOT show up at all on Australia Post tracking.

But the buyers did get their items....

stemschicky

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 12:33:02 PM »
OMG I've been gone a coupla months and the bagging out of Aus Post is still rife!!!!!

Registered post is not fully trackable, its not advertised as such, registered post is great for extra cover, to insure your valuables, the bonus of registered is a signature at delivery and scanned on delivery!!!!!!

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2010, 12:56:56 PM »
Hello Sticky chicky, I thought you would sniff this thread out  :rofl:

:kisshug:

stemschicky

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 12:59:05 PM »
Yeah its been awhile lol,

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2010, 01:02:15 PM »
Welcome back Sticky!

I needed you the the other day when I had a little 'mishap' with an item that I posted.

stemschicky

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2010, 01:10:23 PM »
Lol, I'll do my best when im here wheels, we at aus post (in WA anyway), are finding it difficult to deal with the Contact Centre ourselves, as they merged all city call centres into just one in Melbourne!!!!
They seriously have no idea!

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2010, 03:26:49 PM »
Izzint it odd.....

....stemmy pops-in shortly after maven popped-up?

C):-{=  <" suss..."<<
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2010, 03:30:07 PM »
OMG I've been gone a coupla months and the bagging out of Aus Post is still rife!!!!!

Registered post is not fully trackable, its not advertised as such, registered post is great for extra cover, to insure your valuables, the bonus of registered is a signature at delivery and scanned on delivery!!!!!!

0o the last three registered parcels I have recieved not once was I asked for a signature lol, they just handed it over, in fact one was left on my front verandah.
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!