Author Topic: Bid retractions ... Grrrrrrrr  (Read 13484 times)

misha

• Membermn
  • Knight of the RT
  • NO CONFIDENCE
Bid retractions ... Grrrrrrrr
« on: November 13, 2009, 10:11:05 PM »
Seems there are serial offenders.
Found one today in a listing I am was interested in.

Bidder Information
Bidder: u***u( 1418) 
Item description: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 
Bids on this item: 4
  30-Day Summary
Total bids: 1516
Items bid on: 980
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 2%   
Bid retractions: 103
Bid retractions (6 months): 166

Really get tired of this sort of thing popping up.
Isn't there some sort of policy in place to rope in these serial retractors ?

Complaint made to 'live help' and via obay report system. 
24-48hrs response time they say.

pobox486cronulla@hotmail.com    I have NO HERO'S or IDOLS.  I will question everything and anyone having faith only in myself.

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
Re: Bid retractions ... Grrrrrrrr
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 10:16:32 PM »
Thats a shocker - the most I have seen is 47 which I thought was a joke.

Ebay really should crack down on this sort of practice, I can understand one or two mistakes but gee 103?

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 10:17:59 PM »
Misha,

eBay is very clear about retracting bids in their User Agreement:

You cannot retract a bid except in exceptional circumstances, as outlined in eBay's bid retraction policy

Your bidder may just be very very exceptional!

:pigsfly:

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 10:18:42 PM »
Most appropriate song for a serial bid retractor? Perhaps something like "Oops, I did it again... I'm not that innocent."

(I knew that song must come in handy for SOMETHING... )
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

gr8-expectations

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 10:36:25 PM »
c'mon we all saw u on channel 9 in britneys mosh pit RIGHT up the front countess...

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 10:43:11 PM »

Query re bid retractions:

If a bidder makes an error entering a bid, retracts,  and re-enters their corrected bid within the allowed time, does that retraction show against the bidder's ID?

“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 11:22:38 PM »
It used to Centuries. I don't know if it does now though.
I made a mistake years ago & put a comma in instead of a full stop. so I retracted & bid again with the full stop. A bid retractionwas recorded against me for that incident for either 6 months or a year, I can't remember which.

A made a similar mistake when in a rush & in poor light. I again entered a comma instead of a full stop so I bid something like $29,002 instead of $29.02. I let the bid ride as I wanted the item & knew it would go for less than $29.02. sure enough when I got home & checked I found I had won the item for a lot less than $29.02. I have never been as careless since. 

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 02:04:04 AM »
ubbie, I have also done that twice.   I was not a new bidder :blush:

The same reasons. In a hurry, poor light, and did not check before I committed the bids. Plus,I didn't have my computer specs on!

I am usually very careful and I was horrified the first time.By the time I realised what I had done the it was too late but the auction ended and saved me.

Another time, I decided to top up my maximum, as I wanted the particular item as a gift . I bid in the last few seconds of an auction , with a wretched comma,...Thousands ;D That auction did  reach what my maximum was supposed to be, but I was simply lucky. Both times.

Taught me a lesson! Check!!

I will never again 'tut-tut' and wonder why people do not check their entry before committing the bid--- ;D ;D I was just as careless, and very fortunate neither auction had much time left, and my  bids were put in near the end of each auction.  

“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 02:11:39 AM »
Birdie and Centuries , I think we can all forgive seeing the occassional fuc faux pas in peoples bidding history and only the odd tunnel visioned KJ would see anything "unscrupulous" in the odd retraction appearing but the example that Misha has posted shows 103 such retractions in the last 30 days ...166 in 6 months .... thats a bit tooooooooooooooo suss to be simple coc commas inserted instead of decimal points  

gr8-expectations

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 10:46:12 AM »
ubbie, I have also done that twice.   I was not a new bidder :blush:

The same reasons. In a hurry, poor light, and did not check before I committed the bids. Plus,I didn't have my computer specs on!

I am usually very careful and I was horrified the first time.By the time I realised what I had done the it was too late but the auction ended and saved me.

Another time, I decided to top up my maximum, as I wanted the particular item as a gift . I bid in the last few seconds of an auction , with a wretched comma,...Thousands ;D That auction did  reach what my maximum was supposed to be, but I was simply lucky. Both times.

Taught me a lesson! Check!!

I will never again 'tut-tut' and wonder why people do not check their entry before committing the bid--- ;D ;D I was just as careless, and very fortunate neither auction had much time left, and my  bids were put in near the end of each auction. 

so what you are REALLY saying cent is that YOU are responsible for all these retractions huh?

c'mon fess up

reduced sentence/fine for early guilty plea

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 11:21:16 AM »
Sorry all - but I feel the need to be slightly off-topic here. ;D

A couple of days away - and I return to discover that UBBRD has turned into UBBIE MAX! K-Rikey - Another case of multiple id's?

"Shame and scandal on the family".  ;D

gr8-expectations

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 11:22:14 AM »
it twas only a matter of time numeric after drinking all that pepsi... lol

gr8-expectations

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 11:22:54 AM »
k-rikeys a goody dint see that one lol

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 11:35:52 AM »
.....after drinking all that pepsi... lol

Now lets see..... r3830 Rum & Coke?? Nup, don't think so. ;D

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 01:08:27 PM »
Don't be surprised if you see Countessa Champagne...

Re bid retractions, I have retracted bids about 5 times; three times when a mysterious 0-feedback bidder with 100% activity with the seller bid up to my maximum and then retracted (if I remember correctly, I had to retract the three bids to be sure I had no chance of winning the item in case of other bid retractions; I was too annoyed by that blatant shill-bidding to have any remaining interest in purchasing from that seller); once when I pressed on a digit three times instead of twice; and once when the seller added the word "cassette" to his description after listing it with the ISBN of the CD edition.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

boball1950

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 05:54:21 AM »
Hello Countessa.
And tracking off a little here and not bid retractions this time but what I thought was a possible? new/good customer a few weeks back.
He had a positive rating score of (10) for selling unassociated items to which I sell but came in with 38 bids with 100% of those on my items.
I remember talking to the wyzeman about it all on the Thursday after this bidder had won two items off me on the Wednesday.
And he did contact after winning the two items, said he would be shopping further as I combine post.
Then on Friday all the notices came in, he had been suspended/account on hold.
And I had items at auction ending the next day (Saturday) and most other prospective bidders have flown by this stage.
First up I thought only the items on which he held the bid were affected but in "My Preferences" original bids were still showing to potential bidders when in fact some had gone back to $1.00.
A few $1 bargains went off that day, cried myself to sleep that night. [grin]
But what can you do?
Cheers,
             Bob.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 12:05:46 PM »
The only thing you can do is track him down, suspend him from the rafters, tickle his feet for 2 hours using a feather duster, play bad accordian music at him for the next 3 hours, and then have him shanghaied to a Czechoslovakian sailing vessel.

It won't solve the basic problem, but it will make you feel better.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 12:08:18 PM »
And peeps say that I'm a trubblemaker.....pfffttt!!!

"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 12:10:42 PM »
Who says!!!

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 12:28:03 PM »
They.

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 12:33:50 PM »
THEM??????

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2009, 12:34:37 PM »
There is no I in they or them

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 12:36:01 PM »
 :topic:

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 06:45:44 PM »
There is no I in they or them

But there is one between them... they or them

;D

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 07:07:58 PM »
G'day everyone. I've just had an interesting experience involving an overseas seller. He sent me the wrong product. I contacted him & he very pleasantly said he would refund me through Paypal. Sure enough, a refund came through a short time ago. What is interesting it went straight into my Visa account. It wasn't held up in Paypal.
I will not register any banking accounts with Paypal (I don't trust it) only a Visa account with limited funds & the added protection of Chargeback, if needed.   

Incidently, I have given the seller positive feedback and have made no reference to the fact that the items were the wrong ones.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 07:12:48 PM »
Birdie , did the original payment go to the seller from funds sitting in your pay pal a/c or did paypal have to pay the seller using funds from your visa ...... whichever they did is where the funds should be refunded to .. by the sound of it the original payment would have come from your visa funds ... Im fairly confident thats how it works

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 07:18:59 PM »
Yep Smee. I have no funds in Paypal. I always use my Visa card.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2009, 07:22:11 PM »
thats why then ...as a refund it goes back to where they got the funds from .... if on the other hand you sold something and the buyer paid by paypal then the funds woud sit in p/p until you instucted them to transfer to visa or you purchased something with the funds ... this is something to do with the fact that purchases on your visa are interest free for say 55 days wheras as cash withdraws on visa attract interest from day one ... so this is set up to stop people transfering money from cc to their own debit a/c via paypal to use as an interest free cash advance ... if that makes sense to you ?
The same applies if you went to Kmart and bought an item using c/c ... if you took item back for refund kmart cant give you cash they must give you goods to the value of ie another purchase or refund the dough to the credit card

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2009, 07:48:47 PM »
I understand Smee. Maybe that's why Ebay/Paypal wants buyers to record a banking account with them for payments. If money is refunded it stays in Paypal until the buyer transfers it after X number of days thereby earning Paypal a bit of interest.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2009, 08:46:55 PM »
There is a reason why PayPal steer people very strongly towards having payments taken from their bank account rather than their credit/debit cards. I won't address it in detail here, because it would steer this thread far, far, far off course!

But I may post about it in a separate thread.

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2009, 10:39:51 PM »
I hope you do that countess - I have often wondered that myself.

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2009, 10:54:03 PM »
There is a reason why PayPal steer people very strongly towards having payments taken from their bank account rather than their credit/debit cards. I won't address it in detail here, because it would steer this thread far, far, far off course!

But I may post about it in a separate thread.

Simple answer..CHARGEBACKS!

misha

• Membermn
  • Knight of the RT
  • NO CONFIDENCE
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 09:40:49 PM »
I want this thread removed
pobox486cronulla@hotmail.com    I have NO HERO'S or IDOLS.  I will question everything and anyone having faith only in myself.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 09:42:13 PM »

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 09:43:34 PM »
I want this thread removed

It is getting very boring - you posting this on every single thread you started.  

I am sorry to say - but it seems very immature too - and I expected better from you - but I have been disappointed before

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »

eBuster

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2009, 03:20:32 AM »
Thats a shocker - the most I have seen is 47 which I thought was a joke.

Ebay really should crack down on this sort of practice, I can understand one or two mistakes but gee 103?

Ebay loves shill bidding it keeps profit up and here in the UK we only get to see bidder1, bidder2 so is it any wonder shill bidding on things like cars are at an all time high ?

Help is at hand in real time as shown in the link below
http://www.ebuster.co.uk/BidHistory.aspx

eBay hides bidders names, drop the connection if you look at more than five bid accounts in 60 seconds and all to help it's members :) yeah and i'm robbin hood