Author Topic: make an offer on ebay really works - NOT  (Read 12812 times)

lacey

• Knight of the RT
make an offer on ebay really works - NOT
« on: October 16, 2009, 09:17:43 PM »
Over time i have made a few offers.  I mean that's what it's there for, isn't it.  yet each and everytime, I have been knocked back.  These have all been to different sellers and I have changed the amount everytime.

What am I doing wrong and why do sellers have it, if they don't want offers.

mind you, my offers ranged in proie from $1 to $5.  So not a huge amount of money and they haven't even come back with a counter offer.  As a matter of fact, the answer was given straight away in most cases.  is there a system where the seller can set up the maximum he will allow?
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Re: make an offer on ebay really works - NOT
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 09:18:55 PM »
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 09:27:58 PM »
I have actually experimented and sold a few items on best offer, yes there is a facility where on listing you can set it to automatically reject any offer under a certain amount, I am yet to do that , I have sold using this method at bin price , at offer/then counter offer price and I have also sold accepting the buyers first offer, its like anything on ebay you have to structure your listing based on what you hope to get versus what you need to get and hope the majority of the time it works out closer to the higher end ... if any of that makes sense?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 11:12:16 PM »
I've got practical experience on making offers (and having two accepted and one rejected), and I've got second-hand experience on setting up the make-an-offer thing when a friend wanted to list something with the make an offer facility included. I created a test listing (but didn't actually go ahead and list it), and yes - you can set a minimum that will even be considered.

From all that I've read and seen, sellers whose listings include "make an offer" do expect a reasonable offer, and become rather annoyed when a buyer makes a ridiculous offer. Apparently some of the buyer offers can be completely unrealistic. Most sellers (I'm told) will consider an offer that knocks off 10%.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 07:47:32 AM »
Lacey

I think the key is to make an offer that you'd accept if you were the seller

you will find best offer on a lot of my listings but I have to say I reject about 95% of the offers  .........  basically because they are down right insulting

last night someone offered $2.00 for a $75.00 wallet

if you were selling a $75 item what offer would you accept ???

ernest_price

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 08:18:18 PM »
Similar here.

I've done a fair bit of Best Offer on some very expensive items I've had the last few months. On a $4,000 item in good condition [new price around $8,000] I got offers of $200 and $500. I set it at the low price anyway to sell. Why would you bother offering $200?

So I set my auto-reject to <$3,000 and auto accept to >$3,900. Anything in between would get the courtesy of a counter-offer.

I'm not sure I'll bother again as nearly every offer contains the following sentences:

"I'll pick it up tomorrow cash for [insert 10% of prices asked]"

"I noticed you've had it selling for a while. eBay must love you for the fees. I'm offering cash!"

"I'll be around at 3pm - you won't do any better than my offer for your item so please call me to arrange a time for pickup".

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »
Ernest, how rude that seems. *sigh* It appears that sometimes some people cannot help giving a bad impression.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 10:42:18 PM »
as you have heard me call 'em before

low rent vermin

I think the very nature of eBay attracts them ............ rather then like bees to honey it's more like flies to - - - -

M@ggie

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 11:03:02 PM »

I did my first one tonight. Five bucks off something really cute they were asking forty for. Accepted, paid for, thank you very much!

tinker

• New Knight
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 07:56:46 AM »
Hello. This happened to a friend of mine. He put a $12,000 item up asking only $4,000 (because it was 2nd hand) and got offered $400 and the buyer had the cheek to make 2 more offers of even less.

That was very offensive to the seller, I think buyers forget that it’s not all about them.

Like it's been said, if your serious then make a serious offer, your luck might just change.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 12:27:42 PM »
Absolutely. I believe that buyers should be prepared to make a fair offer, not an insulting offer.

I remember the story of various Jews who were fleeing from the Nazi powers, who made their way to Russia and had to try and pay for their ticket on the train that left Russia to safety. The ticket prices were inflated because of their desperation. Those who had nothing - on what could they depend? One Jewish man had an antique and extremely valuable violin with him, and while he was trying to appeal for help (I believe he wanted to sell some of his other belongings, or arrange a loan), one Russian offered to buy his ticket in exchange for the violin.

You can imagine how much that violin was worth.

And the Jewish man had no choice. He was forced to accept that "best offer", because the price of the ticket was also the price of his life.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 12:38:36 PM »
So the moral of your story Countess is that unless a seller's life is in danger there is no point in offering a ridiculously low offer?

I've used best offer a couple of times when selling items.  There was one item I had set at $70 with an auto accept of >$65 and a reject of <$60 and a counter offer set between $60 and $65.  

I kept getting offers for around $40 - $45, which were auto rejected.  The item didn't sell and after relisting with a lower starting price and auction, it eventually sold for $49.00.  

It was then I realised I had originally overpriced it as a $70 BIN.  In this case the best offers were appropriate and serious offers.  

So the moral of my story is best offer can be used to find out market prices on items. (as long as buyers make fair offers)

;D
:duckling:

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 12:40:28 PM »
Hi fluff, back in your own pond again I see.. { needs more chlorine..LOL }

misha

• Membermn
  • Knight of the RT
  • NO CONFIDENCE
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
I've used the make an offer 3 times and another way many times.

On a 1st edition book I sought lower price and changes to conditions.
Had the thing on watch for days and saw no interest... possibly due to the TOS.
I made offer 3min prior to end time.  It was accepted within 1min with conformation of those 3 changes to terms.  Kinda shocked me how quick actually.  Key issue was shipping... I knew the real cost that wasn't stated in the listing and sought what was really free shipping in a specific method... then final settlement of item in 6weeks.  Scarce book.. worth the start price.. haven't seen one listed since.
The other two times were a similar situation.

I've never been knocked back like that.  I'm not into 'haggling', I'm into 'fair trading'.

The 'another way' has been where sellers OS have a stack of Aus coins with no apparent interest from bidders for no apparent reason.  I put all items on 'watch', bid on a few, contact seller saying I'm interested in acquiring all they have... the whole lot and it's me watching.
When I 'win' those items bid on I'll email seller off the eBay or OZtion msg system and clean up the whole lot.  It's surprising how many people resent the eBay fee structure/system.  
I've NEVER been ripped off doing that.

My hotmail account has a folder titled 'fair & free trade'.

If a seller overprices things in a market and it's obvious to them, I don't even bother considering purchase or offer.

I'm also known for sending more funds than the final 'won' price when an item arrives that sold well below true value AND I will never buy spendable currency for less than face value.  
e.g. a $5 coin for $4.50 ... so if you want that coin you better bid more than $5 folks. LOL

To me its all about whats FAIR.

pobox486cronulla@hotmail.com    I have NO HERO'S or IDOLS.  I will question everything and anyone having faith only in myself.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 12:50:50 PM »
Yes, Misha, you have summed it up well.  It is all about what is fair.  ;D

Yib... yes back in my home pond again.   :-* :-*  <=== Note for Misha.  Yib always gets two kisses 'cause he is Italian.  .....  you're not Italian are you?

No Yib, don't need more chlorine.  Aussie ponds are very chlorine free.  NZ has the most spectacular and beautiful ponds and countryside in the world... but I'd have to say their water supply has LOTS of chlorine.  Every time I ran a bath or a spa, the water was bright blue!!!

misha

• Membermn
  • Knight of the RT
  • NO CONFIDENCE
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 01:03:37 PM »
No... but I cooked up a magnificent marinara spaghetti sauce last night that the local Italians would be hard pressed to beat last night.  

Use the best tomato paste you can buy and beer to thin the batch to a correct consistency is THE secret.

We digress ... sorry, I can't help it.  
I've a three track mind.

BUGGA ... 10am and I'm behind in work prior to opening here. 
See ya later.
pobox486cronulla@hotmail.com    I have NO HERO'S or IDOLS.  I will question everything and anyone having faith only in myself.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »
Are you from WA Misha?   We have a few members from 'the otherside'.    ;D

Your spagetti sounds nice.   Yum.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 01:19:01 PM »
Hello, Fluffy - welcome back.

*clears away the chlorine from OzrT Pond*

Hmm... the moral of my story was that in some instances a seller has no choice but to sell something he didn't want to sell, and for a price that is ludicrously unfair. (When you're forced to "sell" a violin worth almost a million dollars for a train ticket, I suppose it must very much hit home.)

But that in normal circumstances, a buyer shouldn't count on getting a million-dollar violin for $100, and if he made a "best offer" of $100 when the violin was listed at $500,00 (for example), the buyer should probably not expect to be greeted with open arms...

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 01:23:19 PM »
Hi Countess.  Thanks for the welcome back.  It's a long flight when it is powered by your own wings... 

...  which is why I ate all the chocolate in the departure lounge..  to give me strength.  Honest...   :blush:

My dear little wings are all sore after the flight.  Smee where are you?  My wings need one of your massages!!!

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 01:30:01 PM »
I'm onto it Fluff , prepare yourself , I have perfected a new massage it involves...

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 01:31:21 PM »
I'm onto it Fluff , prepare yourself , I have perfected a new massage it involves...

You forgot the batteries smee...........

lacey

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 02:59:19 PM »
Sorry guys, I forgot about this topic. 

The last time I made an off, the item was around the $60 mark and as I hadn't bought off this seller b4, I only took off $1.  It was rejected b4 I even got out of the page, so I found the answer as soon as I went into my messages. 

I found this a bit strange for the seller to knock back even just one dollar off.  Seems he didn't want to sell it to me. 

Don't ask, cause I don't remember and it was naturally for a coin set.  ;D

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 03:32:46 PM »
Hmm. That sounds as though the seller hadn't set up his best offer option correctly. Did you message him to find out?

(Either not set up correctly or seller was living in la-la land about best offers being one CENT off the total...)

lacey

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 04:07:28 PM »
No, I didn't notify him as I didn't know how it really worked at that stage.  Thought it was like Oztion where the buyer gets back to you.  Will next time tho.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 08:10:15 PM »
Hi Lacey, yes just a buyers have to be fair and realistic, also sellers need to be fair.  To reject $1 off $60 is ridiculous IMO.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 11:38:40 PM »
I've only made offers a couple of times, but I've been reasonable.

One was for a laser printer - and I would have won it if I had gone back to check before someone else came in and bought it for the full price.

The other was for some RAM for an old laptop.  I needed two sticks and the shipping was $7.99 each with a 50 cent discount for the second and subsequent items.  Since each is about the same size as a credit card, the extra actual postage for the second was zero - so the total of my offer was for two sticks, one lot of postage and a few cents towards the second postage.

I submitted it and only knew it was accepted when I saw I had an item to pay!

The fact that the seller was in the business of selling RAM helped me prepare a reasonable offer - since it was clear they were not trying to clear out one item they had laying around, but were in business.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 09:32:44 PM »
Bump..   ;D

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 09:42:57 PM »
Made a successful offer for a toner cartridge recently.  Seller had a few on offer and they had been listed a couple of times with an unsuccessful and a successful offer - so I knew what he had accepted before and what he had rejected.

I would have liked to have bought one at the price he rejected before - and there's always the possibility he may have changed his mind by the time I came along - but I chose to try a figure around 75% of the BIN price - which was a couple of dollars under the previously accepted offer.

It was accepted.  Just waiting for it to turn up now...

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 10:14:37 PM »
Just found this link on Ebay.  It shows the guidelines for using Best Offer.  It all comes down to a win/win situation where the offer will benefit both the buyer and the seller.  Offers are different from auctions in that the seller is 'stuck' with the auction price, whereas for best offer the ball is in the seller's court, so if they aren't happy with the offer, they don't accept it or they can counter offer with a higher, but still discounted price.  Therefore a win/win is a reasonable offer, as Brumby did successfully.  Most sellers will accept an offer somewhere in the range of 10 - 20/25% discount.  Below that only people who are desperate (and someone who is making a living from selling is not in that category normally as they are listing to make a living and not to get rid of things or give them away) will accept an offer.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/contextual/best-offer.html

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 11:59:02 PM »
I have since come across a bit of information that indicates these toner cartridges were stock for an organisation's own usage.  I suspect they've replaced the printer (it is an older model) and had them in the store room.

They are obviously aware of their value and aren't giving them away - but they aren't being greedy.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2010, 12:02:57 AM »
so a fair price for both seller and buyer ..... win/win as suggested in above post .... great

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2010, 09:02:36 AM »
Morning all, my only problem with Best Offer is when selling multiples of an item. I would prefer it if you couldn't see the accepted Offer price in sales history and feedback etc. Other buyers can see the lower prices so you may as well just reduce the listing price.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 09:27:43 AM »
Not just multiples of an item, but also 'like' types of product.  If the buyers see you accepted say $40 for something, advertised for $55, they will try offer that or lower even if it is a different item.  

Counter offering manually does help as you have the ability to send a note to the buyer with the counter offer saying eg:  "$27 is too low for a brand new with tags item, but I have counter offered for $45, which is a special price for you and is 20% discount.   If they buyer wants the item and aren't a reseller (who just simply buys anything in their line of stock to resell at a profit), they will accept the counter offer or if they feel it is really too high, will respond with their own counter offer slightly lower.  It does help I have found to say you have lots of watchers (if you do).  People then move into 'reasonable mode' instead of 'squeeze the seller for everything I can get out of them' mode.

It can work in your favour if you don't accept too low a price in the first place.  I have an example where I sold mulitples of a certain product.  I marked the price up (and it was in line with B&M shop prices or lower and was new) - $25 having paid $10 each for the stock and willing to accept $20.  Sold one for an offer of $20.  Was contacted via messages by someone who was wanting to buy one and asked me how low I would go if they bought multiples.  I replied with the Ebay outline that suggested it should be a fair price for both buyer and seller.  They responded with an official $15 offer.  I replied via messages (as that was how they had started talking to me) that I couldn't sell it for that price as it was too low and I had had lots of interest shown in them.  They then cancelled their $15 offer and offered $20 and said they realised that their offer was too low.  They bought up everything I had left and would have bought more.  Left me glowing feedback.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 09:57:30 AM »
Actually just remembered another example given to me by my brother in law.  He needed a pool filter.  A new branded one cost $150 from a B&M shop.  They searched on Ebay and found a generic one for a BIN price of $45.  Absolutely mortified that he would pay the 'whole' BIN price as he was used to the auction format, he offered $31, which was auto rejected.  He offered $32 (see he was treating it like an auction) which was auto rejected.  He then offered $33 which was also auto rejected.  Buyers only have 3 goes at an offer.   He really wanted it, so he then logged in using his daughter's account, put a bit of thought into the offer and considered what the seller may be willing to accept, rather than just offering anything and offered $40, which was then auto accepted.  

He was happy because he had saved over a hundred dollars off the normal retail price, but still had felt Ebay 'owed' him a bargain which he had gotten because he didn't pay the whole BIN price.  If the seller had manually counter offered for $40 or even $42 and sent a note with it explaining he wasn't making much profit etc etc or whatever was appropriate to say, John wouldn't have used up all his 3 goes at an offer.  Another example of a win/win.

To some degree it comes down to psychology, friendliness and interaction, something a good B&M seller applies to their potential buyers.  For BIN buyers the same should be applied.  

Of course that is not say auction buyers should be treated with distain.  Not at all, everyone deserves to be treated with respect and friendliness, but when you sell BIN on Ebay, you must understand that the psyc of buyers is bargain gaining bought about from the legacy of auctions and work within that, whilst still not missing out yourself.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 10:18:47 AM »
Sometimes it can be appropriate to move from a BIN format to an auction one.  I believe Wheelie had a very very popular item on BIN late last year.  On advice from Smee (who is a very experienced past B&M seller and therefore understands the old fashioned selling principles) she moved the final BIN item to auction as there were none left in Australia and she had heaps of watchers. (Am I remembering right Wheelie?)

She ended up getting way more than the BIN price due to it's popularity and rarity on auction than as a BIN.

It's called being aware of and rocking and rolling with the market and applying the same selling principles as any seller would/should.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 02:54:27 PM »
Morning all, my only problem with Best Offer is when selling multiples of an item. I would prefer it if you couldn't see the accepted Offer price in sales history and feedback etc. Other buyers can see the lower prices so you may as well just reduce the listing price.

I can understand that from the seller's perspective. That very ability is what guided me in determining the figure I put in my offer.