Author Topic: The Parliamentary Deadlock Farce  (Read 97758 times)

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
Re: The Parliamentary Deadlock Farce
« Reply #200 on: September 07, 2010, 01:47:14 PM »
Bob Katter - supporting The Coalition..... reported at about 1.30. OFFICIAL!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #201 on: September 07, 2010, 01:47:17 PM »
I think the Independents will go with the Labor/Greens, under the impression that Australia wants and needs a stable government more than it needs a government of fiscal responsibility and integrity. (Mind you, we ARE talking about politicians here... and integrity is a rare beast.)

A thousand-year dictatorship where the king/sultan/emperor/grand high poobah executes one thousand people every week and has the rest whipped on a rotation basis is a stable government. And oh lord, wouldn't you, as a sufferer under such a regime, wish for it to be UNstable?

Stability is not the most important issue here. But I greatly fear the Independents will support Labor, oiled by the unctuous offerings of the incumbent caretaker.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #202 on: September 07, 2010, 01:53:56 PM »
Countess.... if the remaining two choose to support The Coalition.... wouldn't that make Bob Brown homeless?  ;D

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #203 on: September 07, 2010, 01:57:12 PM »
Oh! I was wrong!

I was never more glad.

Thank you, Rdigits!
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #204 on: September 07, 2010, 02:02:42 PM »
as predicted the mad hatter and Tony Windsor have been trying to talk sense into "Hotshott"
all morning , despite him saying that they wanted stability he wanted it only on his terms .... Bob spat the dummy about half an hour ago and walked out on the other 2 and declared his backing of the coalition .....
Tony Windsor will not be far behind him ........Hotshott will be sulking till at least 3pm

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #205 on: September 07, 2010, 02:06:21 PM »
Countess.... I can't say that I'm not overjoyed as well. Could we be that lucky twice more today do you think?

smee.... didn't  "Hotshot" (I like that one...) say that he would change his mind to avoid a deadlock?

Poddy

« Reply #206 on: September 07, 2010, 02:08:37 PM »
Cowboy Katter may be a bit of a git but he knows that if he had have gone to the ALGP he would not see another term in office.
I wonder if the other two realise that too?

We will soon know.

Time for another thread I feel

What about ELECTION AFTERMATH!!!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #207 on: September 07, 2010, 02:34:08 PM »
Mr Katter apparently believes that the other two Independents will support Labor.

That's not a comforting thought for anyone who thinks a Labor/Green govt will be a disastrous mistake.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #208 on: September 07, 2010, 02:37:51 PM »
smee.... didn't  "Hotshot" (I like that one...) say that he would change his mind to avoid a deadlock?

yes he did , but that was when he thought that the other 2 were being subserviant to him , he said that cos he always new the Hatter was leaning towards coalition but thought Windsor was going labor so he pushed for the unity thing , thinking that would sway the Hatter , little did he know that the "Hatter" was always going to go coalition purely on 2 things , he was totally against the Mining and Carbon taxes , 2 things that labor was adament was going to happen ............ just watch Hotshotts bottom lip start to quiver if he cant turn Tony Windsor around and he has to go coalition .......

Poddy

« Reply #209 on: September 07, 2010, 02:44:07 PM »
The teltale signs of brown ooze around the trouser cuffs is again evident

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #210 on: September 07, 2010, 03:03:05 PM »
here we go

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #211 on: September 07, 2010, 03:03:34 PM »
and the winner is

Sid Derney !!!!!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #212 on: September 07, 2010, 03:06:06 PM »
and the winner is

Sid Derney !!!!!

I was up early for that announcement - great start to the day it was, too!

This one, however, has lost a lot of it's sheen - but let's get it over with!

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #213 on: September 07, 2010, 03:08:23 PM »
well well well buggah me Windsor has gone Labor 

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #214 on: September 07, 2010, 03:12:02 PM »
So to a certain extent Hottshott has got his way ....its all up to him now .....CENTRE OF ATTENTION ... will he now back flip so we have to go to the polls again ..........he may just do that .....

as there is no way either party can survive for long with a minute margin
if he doesnt we will be back to the polls before Easter anyway

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #215 on: September 07, 2010, 03:16:03 PM »
"Tony Windsor has announced he's supporting LABOR to form a minority government.

Mr Windsor names broadband as one of the key issues that led him to that decision.

Rob Oakeshott is yet to reveal his decision."

And what does Mr Windsor actually know about the broadband issue...? His grasp on technology...? I am dumbfounded.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #216 on: September 07, 2010, 03:18:10 PM »
I predict Mr Oakeshott will go with Labor. His decision will create a government and prevent the deadlock he said he wanted to avoid.

We're doomed, all who object to a filtered internet... We're doomed, all who object to a carbon tax. We're doomed, all who object to a HORRENDOUS waste of money on technology that will be old before it's even finished being implemented.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #217 on: September 07, 2010, 03:18:55 PM »
From what I'm hearing, if Oakeshott goes Labor, there'll be a by-election not too far away - as his constituency will lynch him.

If true, it seems somewhat bizarre for a politician to go against his electorate....

Sorry - forgot where we were ... we're talking politicians here, aren't we.

wyzeguy60

« Reply #218 on: September 07, 2010, 03:32:11 PM »
well I for one cannot believe the Lunacy of these independents.
If they side with Labor - and oaktreeshoot is almost certain to go that way - we have a difficult 3 years ahead.

Let me remind everybody.

Only 37.7 % of people wanted Labor
They wasted enough money to build 7000 suburban houses a day for the last 3 years
The interest alone on that debt is enough to build 400 suburban houses a day.
They want to introduce a chinese type internet filter
They want to introduce a carbon tax - mark my words. This will be very very painful
They want to stuff the mining industry - the very thing that has kept us going

Why would these independents go against their electorates - because that flocking redhead opened the cheque book even futher. The conservative opposition never had a hope.
I'll see all of you when this government is dumped. Until then I think I'll quietly disappear

cheers to all.

PS - after I have sent the coin to PP of course.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #219 on: September 07, 2010, 03:34:47 PM »
Wyzeguy, don't disappear until then...

I view the future with apprehension, but somehow we've got to keep up each other's spirits.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #220 on: September 07, 2010, 03:35:44 PM »
Rob Oakeshott has made his decision.

"After a long speech, Rob Oakeshott announces Labor has his backing "in a points decision".

That gives Julia Gillard the 76 votes she needs to form a minority government."

I knew it. As I said before... we're doomed.

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #221 on: September 07, 2010, 03:41:49 PM »
Well, according to the logic of two of the independents.... the country will benefit from a Carbon Tax - and higher utility prices.... as well as the mining tax. Bob Brown must be tooooootally orgasmic at the moment!

Next step..... Where's Kev? Don't change your mind on that one Julia..... or look out!

Going back to the Curly avatar shortly....... as the future looks as though it'll be a joke!

golden

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #222 on: September 07, 2010, 03:45:24 PM »
Tony Windsor,   says,   Ï didn't totally check the offers made to us!!!  they were both good offers so I went with Joooooolya cos she will be in Govt for the full 3 years"....

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #223 on: September 07, 2010, 03:49:38 PM »
Now if Kevin 07 has a warped sense of humour he will now resign , which will require a bi-election and pull the rug out from Under Julia's feet .............excellent payback .........

HellWest'nCrooked

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #224 on: September 07, 2010, 03:49:52 PM »

It is enough to make one swear..........your right Tessa, we are doomed.

How the %&$#@ is a carbon tax going to help anything but the governments pockets.

It beggars belief that people can be so bloody stupid................ over a number of matters
Ain't no rhyme or reason
No complicated meaning

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #225 on: September 07, 2010, 03:50:04 PM »
Although I have always been a labour voter this last election caused me to give a lot of thought to the danger of Green power if Labour won.

The Greens will attempt to destroy receational fishing in Australia (vast areas of the Australian coastline becoming marine parks). They have intimated they want to see a return of Death duty (a draconian tax) & they want to see an end to negative gearing which will, in time, create shortages in the home rental field. I'm glad I own my home. I could go on but I'm sure all of you are aware of the Greens aims.

Keelhaul all Greenies immediately, I'm available rope in hand & reering to go.

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #226 on: September 07, 2010, 03:56:07 PM »

golden

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #227 on: September 07, 2010, 04:00:19 PM »

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #228 on: September 07, 2010, 04:31:28 PM »
*lends Ubbie the rope*

We are a country being held captive to the whims of those who are drunk on never-before-held power... subject to the determined wishes and personal agendas of a minority.

I feel betrayed.

What price human life, when it comes to the dry crackling beauties of fuel for fire? No, no, don't touch the grass. No, rather we all perish in a mighty inferno than that we cause harm to one little blade of grass by nasty, malicious, cruel, torturous selfish back-burning...

elantra

« Reply #229 on: September 07, 2010, 06:07:21 PM »
LABOR WINS!!!!!

The final Tally.
Australian Labor Party 76 seats
Liberal / National Party 74 seats

Labor    150        4,687,724    38.0
Liberal    109        3,756,296    30.4
Greens    150        1,449,809    11.7
LNP       30        1,129,433    9.2

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #230 on: September 07, 2010, 06:27:18 PM »
Now if Kevin 07 has a warped sense of humour he will now resign , which will require a bi-election and pull the rug out from Under Julia's feet .............excellent payback .........

OMG Smee!  Wouldn't that be poetic justice..lol

Do you think if we all wrote to him....we might implant that idea in his head?

Poddy

« Reply #231 on: September 07, 2010, 07:36:07 PM »
LABOR WINS!!!!!

I cant help laughing, wins? are you kidding

That was not a win it was an exhausted, staggering, corpse being propped up by some crutches, limping across the finish line.
And boy those crutches are sure some scabby crutches.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #232 on: September 07, 2010, 07:40:37 PM »
I have to agree with Poddy. Labor did not 'win' the election - nor did the new Labor/Greens Coalition. They were given the right to approach the GG to form government, NOT by the result of the constituency giving them the right, but by negotiation with other members of parliament.

It must be said, though, that it would have been much the same for the Liberal/National Coalition.

Poddy

« Reply #233 on: September 07, 2010, 07:43:30 PM »
I am willing to take bets at 10:1 that come next election  Oakeshott will not be elected  and I doubt that he has ANY political future

Any takers??

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #234 on: September 07, 2010, 07:46:10 PM »
BREAKING NEWS
as a gesture of good faith the labor party have promised all those families who's houses burnt to the ground due to faulty insulation installation will be getting the new you beaut super fast broadband installed first

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #235 on: September 07, 2010, 07:48:37 PM »
Aptly said.

Yes, there was no possible "elected" government in the hung parliament result.

And now... I suppose we must live with the result for which Austrdlia did NOT vote.

I suppose this might be perceived as sour grapes. But in my opinion a govt that can only rule with the consistently given "okay" of the indies and the Greens is not a govt that can achieve much.

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #236 on: September 07, 2010, 07:58:24 PM »
I am willing to take bets at 10:1 that come next election  Oakeshott will not be elected  and I doubt that he has ANY political futureAny takers??

Oakshot is my member I voted for him as my personal experiences with him have been good. He won the by election 2 years ago with a 66% primary vote, labour did not stand a candidate thus the the "fall " in green votes. Labour voters had few choices.

Oakshot was dammed in the choice he had to make. Having lived in this and surrounding electorates for over 20 years he will be lucky to be reelected. However he has followed his stated policies and promices. And for that alone he deserves respect

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #237 on: September 07, 2010, 08:18:39 PM »
As he is your member, Shyer, and I've not paid any attention to his campaign, I am in no position to comment other than in principle - which is, if he stands by what he said previously, then that is certainly worthy of respect.

But, I am curious, if his position was clear beforehand and he has been faithfult to that - why did he waffle on for so long to announce his decision?  Even the media were getting toey!

elantra

« Reply #238 on: September 07, 2010, 08:22:47 PM »
LABOR WINS!!!!!

I cant help laughing, wins? are you kidding

That was not a win it was an exhausted, staggering, corpse being propped up by some crutches, limping across the finish line.
And boy those crutches are sure some scabby crutches.

would the same apply if the Libs had won???

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #239 on: September 07, 2010, 08:28:10 PM »
But, I am curious, if his position was clear beforehand and he has been faithfult to that - why did he waffle on for so long to announce his decision?  Even the media were getting toey!

He knows he is signing his short term oblivion warrant. Trying to justify is normal. AND MOST of his voters are not familiar with his policies. Just that he is a real human alternative to party machine politics.

Poddy

« Reply #240 on: September 07, 2010, 08:31:40 PM »
shyer,

I agree with you, the die was cast for all of the independents when there was a hung parliament.
However they sealed their own fate by not deciding their path much sooner, by stretching it out to see how much they could whore out of both sides the showed their hand, that they have no conviction of what they stand for.
Wilkie was the worst of all and he too will get exactly what he deserves.

The stand over tactics will not be soon forgotten, the Greens and the ALP have also shown their hand and from this day on they will be for ever in a death embrace.

The two leaders of the opposing sides have also shown their hand. they were both willing to bend over to gain power at all costs shame on both of them and I am betting that they too will be dealt with what they so richly deserve.
Politics is chock-a-block full of political whores and we have seen, in the last couple of weeks, the worst whoring ever.
It saddens me to see such so called people in roles so powerful as to affect the lives of millions. I can only describe the people involved as the lowest scum of the earth.

May a Pox descend on both their houses

Poddy

« Reply #241 on: September 07, 2010, 08:42:30 PM »
Trala!!

It may surprise you but yes I would say the same thing.

I would have preferred the Libs to have formed a government but not because they 'WON' but because they are a better alternative to the

BLOODY FILTER, the BLOODY NBN, THE BLOODY CARBON TAX, the BLOODY WASTE OF TAXPAYERS MONEY, THE BLOODY GREEN ALLIENCE.

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #242 on: September 07, 2010, 08:43:17 PM »

elantra..... you raise an interesting question. Do you really think that the ALG won? Can you imaging the turmoil that is going to take place in the political arena? The ageement with Labor for starters is a lousy one, in that the independents have anly guaranteed supply - NOT voting with the government of Votes of No Confidence... unless they're seen to be 'silly' in nature. (note that word - 'silly' as it will become terribly important) They also reserved their rights to NOT support any legislation that impacts on their own electorates. That leaves a government walking on flash powder at every turn. The allegiance with the Greens will also have some serious ramifications in Labor heartland as well. People will certainly be reminded of that.

I would suggest to you that the best position to be placed in would be that of the Coalition..... simply from the point of taking the least damage.

It will be interesting when the debate commences surrounding the proposed Carbon Tax - given the present makeup.

Poddy - only 10:1? Given the number of retirees in that part of the world.... and the impact on their costs of living... I think you could safely offer 100:1.

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #243 on: September 07, 2010, 08:43:50 PM »
Poddy independant electors expect their reps to bargain . Most of the time lost was waiting for a final accurate count becoming available.

I think Labour has picked up a posioned chalice. greens to the left, old foes to the right, and still they rode into the valley of death

Poddy

« Reply #244 on: September 07, 2010, 08:47:25 PM »
Trala!!,

I put all those things in large bold so they could be remembered becaus the will bite everyone on the arse, bigtime.

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #245 on: September 07, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
I think Labour has picked up a posioned chalice. greens to the left, old foes to the right, and still they rode into the valley of death

Yes shyer - agree completely ...... to their peril.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #246 on: September 07, 2010, 08:49:15 PM »
BLOODY FILTER, the BLOODY NBN, THE BLOODY CARBON TAX, the BLOODY WASTE OF TAXPAYERS MONEY, THE BLOODY GREEN ALLIENCE

but apart from that what have the Romans done for us ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSELOCMmw4A

Poddy

« Reply #247 on: September 07, 2010, 08:49:39 PM »
shyer, too true!!!

And the country and the people will be the cannon fodder, high damage count I am betting

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #248 on: September 07, 2010, 09:01:53 PM »
Just as an aside, I was just musing on the fact that I have had more than one Labor supporter in the past comment about the fact that it took a Coalition of Libs and Nats to take on a single, unified party - the ALP.

While the Liberals and Nationals had their own identities and interests, they were at least aligned on much common ground.

Yet, now we have the new 'Labor/Greens Coalition' that are strange bedfellows indeed - but even that failed to achieve government.  A tenuous ability to get the nod to form government has only come about by the painstaking courtship of a number of independants. In fact, it has only been through the coalition with the Greens that has given Labor the extra seat which has allowed them to be more convincing in the courtship.

A very shaky performance.  Though I would not expect them to openly trash their party, I wonder what Whitlam and Hawke really think about it all.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #249 on: September 07, 2010, 09:18:10 PM »

There's always Viagra to help the courtship along....