Author Topic: Some advice from other sellers please, also people who know a bit about imacs  (Read 16404 times)

matildasplace

I am seriously thinking about buying an imac, I REALLY, REALLY want an imac but I am scared that if I go ahead and buy one it will become useless to me because I wont be able to work out how to create my listings without Turbo Lister.

Does anyone know if TL is now compatible with imacs? If not what other programs can you use to list with? I really don't want an online listing program, I want something that worked the same as TL.

I also use clic*pic for my photo's I have to use clic*pic and I don't know if this would work on an imac either?

I am also trying to find my way aroung blackthorn pro, has anyone else used this before and does anyone know if this is imac friendly?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Tilly, TL is NOT compatible with iMac computers.

But I've found an informative little guide on the eBay.co.uk site which suggests that GarageSale will do the trick.

"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Did647

Garagesale is a fabulous app. :D Costs you but it makes life so much easier!!  And a mac will do the same. :D

gr8-expectations

Tilly, you can use the new imacs with Turbo Lister, you just have to install some software called bootcamp and also windows, (there is a second product also compatible like bootcamp that allows your mac to run as a pc) with the new macs they are no longer motorola chip based but run on the same intel type chips as pcs, so you can easily switch to pc mode and use TL.

I run a mac but i dont use turbo lister or have it running as a pc because i do slower listings not so worried about speed to list.

macs are great

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
 A recently had a PM from some here who was refusing to run windows on their imac. And thought this was a general topic

Let me start by saying I will argue till the cows come home that apple is a better operating system as it is based on unix, a silk purse compared to the pigs ear DOS / windows was and is. It is also more user friendly, more stable, faster than windows on identical hardware. And usually much better customer service and no anti virus needed that causes its own problems again.

However Apply does over charge for hardware you can build a hackintosh for nearly 1/2 the price and same components same warranty as apple uses. Apple software is also generally more expensive, for same features. Apple tries to contol things too much and does result in some loss of functions. Some programs do work better on apple.

However 95% of the world uses windows based OS's . So...... that is what all programs web sites are written for first and foremost. Thus to use an Apple machine to its full potential some times you need windows O/S it does not harm or break the hardware. And there will always things that never work with Apple . Profit driven ebay will never get free turbo lister to work with apple for some 3% of their sellers maybe if 30%.

I am actually positive about the hackintoshes it may do to apple what the XT / dos did to IBM and microsoft in the 80's. Make them affordable, compeditvely priced and thus common.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
I am a mac user

I have only ever been a mac user

the new iMac is simply brilliant ......... I recently upgraded to the 21.5 inch LED

oh watch that baby go

believe me you will never look back and will wonder why you put up with that windows crap for so .......... macs are easy to use MUCH easier then windows and even more then that nothing about them is UGLY

as for doing listings on eBay I use Garage Sale  ......... so simple to use and such fantastic results  http://www.iwascoding.com/GarageSale/index.html

it does cost US$34.99 ............. but it's worth every cent ......... I have used it for some years now - you pay nothing for upgrades to the software ........... just as side note today I was talking eBay about my listing that are being used in the eBay sale ........ I was told my listings are of such a high standard they'd like to use them as an example for other sellers

I am happy to offer any support you need if you do go ahead and step over from the dark side

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
http://www.apple.com/imac/

[attachment deleted by admin]

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
my mac and my pussy

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT

I came this close  >l  l<  to buying one last week bnwt.... lovely screens ! ... I'll try again just before tax time... LOL

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Here is my Apple Mac

next week I am getting some Apple Wellies

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
Lovely computer.. and cat ;D

I would like an Apple Mac.
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT

Hey Look an Apple Cat !!!.... LOL

****** Hi Cent ! ******

retribution

• Knight of the RT
  • Hey! Don't clap. Throw me money makes less noise!
Lovely computer.. and cat ;D

I would like an Apple Mac.

I've got made up computer but running windows. I did have Apple computer and I agree with statements in favour of them and the OS used. A lot depends on what you want to use them for. For everyday word processing use etc., there's not a lot of difference.

If you were into publishing, music design, drawing, planning and so on an Apple Computer asbsolutely craps over IBM in its ease of use and stability.

Nearly all the big publishing and printing houses have Apple. Setting up for printing is so much easier and to connect to printers.

Some of these people have million dollar plus printers so cost factors for either type of computer doesn't come into it. So they just prefer Apple.

:crazy:

Centuries

• Knight of the RT

****** Hi Cent ! ******

Low yib  :rofl:   
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT

****** Hi Cent ! ******

Low yib  :rofl:  

Cent whats "Low ?"

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
Yib, Nothing to do with macs. Stupid gmail keeps timing out and I am too tired to work out what to do with it at the moment. Read forums about it and eyes glazing over. Not bright with that sort of problem. :crazy:  ;D

surf-inside

Garagesale is a fabulous app. :D Costs you but it makes life so much easier!!  And a mac will do the same. :D

Be careful with GarageSale. I use a mac and GarageSale and GaragePay.  When these tools break, they break badly.  There are sometimes no easy fix, and sometimes data is lost.  I have, of course, managed to figure out how to solve some of the problems that they themselves have not been able to do, but only because I'm a full time software tester.  Unemployed at that.  So i have a lot of time to test these applications.

One big bug in GarageSale is that they use the API for Ebay and in the emails you can generate in GarageSale, the ship to address may be different than the one the buyer specifies when purchasing through Paypal.  This doesn't always indicate fraud, but rather, if a buyer has an address in paypal that they want the merchandise to ship to, you would never know it by using GarageSale.  Because Ebay also maintains its own Ship To address data fields.

Always double check the ship to address in the Paypal email - that is the address you want to ship to. 

I brought this bug to GarageSale's attention but they have not yet fixed it.  Because GarageSale does not use the Paypal API... only the Ebay API... and GaragePay uses only the Paypal API and not the Ebay API...

And if this isn't confusing enough... there's plenty more.  When GarageSale works, it works great. But when it breaks, or GaragePay breaks, thjey break BADLY and require manual fixing, and if you don't have an understanding of Mac computers or the Unix operating system it can be a hassle for a newbie.

Mike

surf-inside

Also, one annoying feature of GarageSale is that there is no combined shipping discount available.  You cannot specify the shipping cost for additional units purchased.  Its annoying because I have buyers who often purchase several of the same item, and I have to go back and refund the difference in shipping. 

There are also speed issues.  Get a fast iMac, because with a thousand templates the GarageSale software can be really slow.  They're always making fixes and new releases but don't immediately upgrade everytime you get prompted.  Wait it out a while, subscribe to their usergroups, and find out what problems people are having with new releases before you jump from the frying pan into the fire.

I lost a lot of money because of the "ship to address" bug in GarageSale.  i shipped a lot of merchandise in December to the wrong addresses because I relied too heavily on GarageSale to tell me what to do. Merchandise went missing because the user's EBAY Shipping address was completely outdated, they had moved, whatever, but the correct address was in Paypal but does not show in GarageSale.   

Mike

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Mike

I have used Garage Sale for over 2 years and never had a problem with it

as for the address, in my Thank You for Purchase email which is preloaded into Garage Sale I say .... "eBay has supplied me with the following address   Tom Blahfield   84 Plop St  Shonktown  4112  .... just confirming this correct"

it prompts the buyer to update their eBay details if they have moved ... it also covers your arse if they have supplied the wrong address

the way Garage Sale does all the emails as well as feedback is just great .... so quick & easy

surf-inside

Yes, the email feature is great.  I use it all the time. The lack of combined shipping discounts is not so great.

And yes, ebayers who have had their account for a long time sometimes move and don't update their shipping address in ebay, but do in Paypal. So, you do risk sending it to the wrong address on those buyers.

Some people do write back and say 'hey, thats the wrong address, I want it to go to this address...' and sometimes they don't.  I always check the paypal ship-to address to make sure its going to the intended destination, just to be safe and cover my ass.  An ounce of prevention is always worth a pound of cure!

I use both GarageSale and GaragePay.  Thats how I found the discrepancy.  One application might tell you to ship to one address while the other tells you to ship to a different one.  Always ship to the Paypal ship-to address to stay compliant with the seller protection program!

As well as ship correctly. Some countries aren't covered under USPS but require DHL or FEDEX.

Mike