Author Topic: Best Match Workshop on ebay tonight: Anyone gunna bother?  (Read 14698 times)

some_other_bozo

Best Match Workshop on ebay tonight: Anyone gunna bother?
« on: September 22, 2009, 03:39:16 PM »
Is it worth it? Will question just get cut and paste responses? Will sellers resort to much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the hope of drawing attention to their plight?

or will sweet stuff all happen?

BOZO

Poddy

Re: Best Match Workshop on ebay tonight: Anyone gunna bother?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 03:43:18 PM »
Is it on a forum? conducted by who? in real time?

some_other_bozo

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 03:47:16 PM »
Poddy

Workshops are in the Community section on ebay. Just like their normal chatboards except pinks come in and dont answer questions, make general denials, salute the occassional ebay plant who claims they love the new changes then said pinks disappear after an hour or so of acheiving nothing and lock the board on their way out.

Its great fun for the whole family.

BOZO

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 03:52:10 PM »
here is some interesting info on the subject....................
http://www.auctioninsights.info/decoding-ebays-best-match.html

Poddy

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 03:53:07 PM »
Hmmmm.....

A few hours entertainment then huh  ;D

when does it get underway?

some_other_bozo

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 04:02:46 PM »
Starts at 7PM.

Poddy

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 04:19:28 PM »
Are you going to attend ?

Could be a bit of fun hehehehe

some_other_bozo

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 04:22:28 PM »
Nah I cant attend this one unfortunately. Id just get pink slapped like last time. Wait can I say, I couldnt get anough of that captive audience of pinks....tee hee

BOZO

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 05:54:15 PM »
I'll read it after the pinks have added their spin and doubletalk.
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 07:26:28 PM »
I have 'attended' a few of these workshop nights...and by the time I finished reading all the pre-workshop posts by the Pinks...the whole ruddy thing was over!!! >:(

I'm like Liisa now...just read some of them when the dust settles....and with all the posts removed...it's shorter reading...lol

some_other_bozo

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 01:18:46 PM »
Just read thru the Workshop....can anyone help me with spelling of the word propaganda?...tee hee. Some of the pinks seemed almost to have the attitude of "we done it, you couldnt stop it...ner ner ner."  Nearly all my fave sellers are gone...just found one of them freshly opened on Oztion this morning so I made a couple of purchases to get them started.

BOZO

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 01:50:11 PM »
I read on the Ebay forums the comments of those that attended, they do not seem the least bit pleased or impressed, in fact i believe the words were,

"More BS... great, and WOW is anyone as confused as I am now, and I understand it even less than I did before attending the workshop"

Doesn't sound good, I wish Ebay would work with us instead of against us.. I want us Both to prosper.. sigh.
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 01:56:56 PM »
I remember reading a so-called Workshop on the US Boards when the one-sided Feedback kicked in.

It was a slaughterhouse.
Deleted posts.
Posts about the deleted posts deleted.
Pinkslaps all over the place.
(I thot I was gonna get slapped for just lurking.....)

What did ebay accomplish?
A mass exodus of sellers, for sure.

Nice goin'....
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

some_other_bozo

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 02:53:43 PM »
I read on the Ebay forums the comments of those that attended, they do not seem the least bit pleased or impressed, in fact i believe the words were,

"More BS... great, and WOW is anyone as confused as I am now, and I understand it even less than I did before attending the workshop"

Doesn't sound good, I wish Ebay would work with us instead of against us.. I want us Both to prosper.. sigh.

Unfortunately i am no longer willing to work with ebay in its current form and as such I openly do what I can to promote the use of other sites (in my case oztion) because as I see it ebays demise is now good for my businesses. I hand out flyers to all my customers both instore and online to this effect. I lurk on ebay and "steal" (or as I like to put it "harvest") customers AND sellers. I mean no disrespect to those who choose to remain with ebay. I hope they do well. But for the good of my businesses and they who work for them I have to do whatever possible to build up ebay alternatives. Its just business.

BOZO

Poddy

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 03:07:34 PM »
I agree whole heartedly with both Tello and Bozo.............easy aint I?  ;D

cueperkins

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 04:07:12 PM »
As they currently stand I also haven't had anything to do with selling on Ebay since they made Paypal Compulsory option...well....compulsory.  I do still buy a few things occasionally, but nothing like I used to. 

How are your sales on Oztion?  Honestly Bozo...not the Oztion promo version....

As a buyer I find a lot of the sellers still don't have a clue about how to describe an item accurately and the prices are over the top with little movement of the same goods.  i.e. I can search over there and see the same items I've seen listed 6 months earlier....So, what's the real story?

some_other_bozo

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 04:14:42 PM »
As they currently stand I also haven't had anything to do with selling on Ebay since they made Paypal Compulsory option...well....compulsory.  I do still buy a few things occasionally, but nothing like I used to. 

How are your sales on Oztion?  Honestly Bozo...not the Oztion promo version....

As a buyer I find a lot of the sellers still don't have a clue about how to describe an item accurately and the prices are over the top with little movement of the same goods.  i.e. I can search over there and see the same items I've seen listed 6 months earlier....So, what's the real story?

No promo here cupie. The thing with oztion is that no-one leaves ebay for oztion willing to take a financial hit. As I very rarely have to pay for my stock all I did at the start is sell packages of stuff cheap (auction format) it was no loss for me because as i said i dont pay for stock. Once i had watchers pouncing for my next-to-freebies I started filtering in some rare and collectable stuff....with watchers come bidding wars. To be honest there is a lot about oztion i dont like. Their god-awful chatboards for a start. But I get sales there and at a rate that now nearly equals my bricks and mortar store.

BOZO

cueperkins

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 04:20:14 PM »
Unfortunately though Bozo, other sellers seem to list at prices well above Ebay, so it makes things look like they're overpriced.  I agree with you about their forums, and if you ever have a run in with their management, watch out....they are no better than ebay in some instances so a couple of close friends inform me...

If it works for you though, that's the whole point....at least with Oztion, unlike the B&M, you have a National audience of potential customers able to see the goods so it has to be a plus on that score.

some_other_bozo

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 12:39:16 PM »
Unfortunately though Bozo, other sellers seem to list at prices well above Ebay, so it makes things look like they're overpriced.  I agree with you about their forums, and if you ever have a run in with their management, watch out....they are no better than ebay in some instances so a couple of close friends inform me...

If it works for you though, that's the whole point....at least with Oztion, unlike the B&M, you have a National audience of potential customers able to see the goods so it has to be a plus on that score.

Gday again cupie. You're right about all those sellers listing well above ebay prices. It irritated the snot out of me when i first went over to oztion. Thats why I though "undercut em". Harsh but fair.

As to their management yes they are less than friendly. Ive only had one run in with them, and they found in my favour, but yeah they aint gunna win any customer service awards.

And as for your last point I agree entirely. I needed a national audience to maximize my potential. But Im an arrogant blighter at the best of times so I insist that I be allowed to run my businesses as I see fight (within legal constraints of course) and that was no longer possible on ebay. I am no fan of oztion as such....its just somewhere I can do business in the manner that I wish. And as long as Im there I'll try to bring as many people as I can with me. Its just good business sense. If oztion ceases to be my friend I will leave it...and again I'll try to take as many of my customers (and potential customers) with me as I possibly can.

cueperkins

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 12:58:13 PM »
I don't know whether you have your own website Bozo, but many are doing that too....so they can redirect customers they harvest from elsewhere to their own website...have you considered that?  It's fairly inexpensive..

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 01:35:25 PM »
. ........ I lurk on ebay and "steal" (or as I like to put it "harvest") customers AND sellers. I mean no disrespect to those who choose to remain with ebay. I hope they do well. But for the good of my businesses and they who work for them I have to do whatever possible to build up ebay alternatives. Its just business.
BOZO
Hi BOZO,..... I have tried OZtion as both buyer and seller and in my areas it is dead as.. I am interested in harvesting by lurking, not just on ebay. How is that possiable with ebay hiding buyers and making communication very difficult and instant deregistration if caught promoting off ebay sites.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 01:51:48 PM »
As some of you would know, I work with a seller who started out on eBay.  They work in a niche market and have found some success on eBay and expanded into OZtion.  With each eBay sale to a new customer, they include a letter telling them about OZtion and now have customers on OZtion from that source.  They are also getting customers finding them on OZtion and then going over to eBay to see what they have there!!  They also said this week that they had more watchers on their OZtion listings than they did on their eBay ones.

These are two new and recent developments that show promise for OZtion - as well as being told every other day about the increase in OZtion membership.

After the Paypal debacle last year, I said OZtion would be giving eBay a run for its money (in Australia, at least) in about 2 years.  We are about 1 year away from that prediction.  Normally, I'd say such predictions are bound to fall short - but the way eBay is going ... I'm not so sure.

some_other_bozo

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 02:36:52 PM »
. ........ I lurk on ebay and "steal" (or as I like to put it "harvest") customers AND sellers. I mean no disrespect to those who choose to remain with ebay. I hope they do well. But for the good of my businesses and they who work for them I have to do whatever possible to build up ebay alternatives. Its just business.
BOZO
Hi BOZO,..... I have tried OZtion as both buyer and seller and in my areas it is dead as.. I am interested in harvesting by lurking, not just on ebay. How is that possiable with ebay hiding buyers and making communication very difficult and instant deregistration if caught promoting off ebay sites.

Gday shyer

Brumbys way is a good start...in fact it IS how i started.  ;D I also contacted anyone that I still had reciepts or emails from that mentioned their email address. When I first went over to oztion I emailed everyone I could to let them know where I was. One trick is to remember that most sellers are also buyers....especially in the areas of collectables. Whenever I saw someone selling lots of stuff that I would like I would contact them and let them know I was interested in certain items, tell them to check my feedback (so the could see what volume and prices I was willing to deal in...and then point at that "alas I only buy and sell on oztion"...and you would be surprised how quickly they open (or reopen) an account over there. To do this last one I would send an email thru the ebay mailing system and then BOLD each of the appropriate letters so that when picked out and placed together the word "oztion" would appear.

One word of warning: Pick your targets carefully so that they dont report you. Usually a good way is to watch the ebay chatboards closely. Someone buying and selling what you are interested in who is on those boards complaining about how tough things have become will usually be more than appreciative of a "helping hand" so to speak.

This can all take a bit of time...but thankfully I can be a very tedious lad.

BOZO