Author Topic: Australia Post price changes 1 June 2010  (Read 16001 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Australia Post price changes 1 June 2010
« on: May 28, 2010, 02:57:10 PM »
Does anyone have details of the new postage prices?

I was in the Post Office earlier today and was told some postage prices will change from 1st June. Apparently the Registered Post form is also being replaced with a slip (?). The staff were very busy and I didn't want to hold up the line so I wasn't able to ask too many questions.

They did say that the letter rates are all increasing.
55c up to 60c
$1.10 to $1.20
$1.65 to $1.80
$2.75 to $3.00

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Australia Post price changes 1 June 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 03:23:29 PM »
Gee they were quick giving you that info Wheels ...its only just that second been approved by ACCC

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/25525/20100528/accc-australia-post-postage-stamp-mail-collection-mail-distribution-issuance-of-postage-stamps-decli.htm

and I think it doesnt come into force till June 28 not June 1  .... as I believe they must give a months notice of intended rises , but its possible that I am incorrect there  ?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 03:33:09 PM »
it is interesting to note that the ACCC has told Aust Post not to bother asking for another increase within the next 2 years

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 03:40:54 PM »
Ah, Mr Smee, I was at my on-the-ball Post Office. They are very good!

They also said that prepaid satchel prices will not be changing. But I don't know about normal parcel rates.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 03:46:43 PM »
The previous rise of postage stamps was in September 2008. Price rose to 55 cents and I think the ACCC mentioned 2010 as the earliest time a further price rise would be considered.

Will Registered post charges be increased this year?
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 03:58:03 PM »
I don't know what else is increasing Centuries, but I'm going to go back to the PO tomorrow to try and find out.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 04:18:28 PM »

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 04:38:08 PM »
it is correct Registered Post forms will be no more

you now get a small orange and red lodgement receipt with the small Registered Post sticker on it

much simpler then that two piece form you used to use

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 04:54:36 PM »
Thanks Smee, so satchel prices are going up. I must go back and buy some more!

Price changes effective 28 June 2010

Prepaid Parcel Post Satchels
500g Single $5.70 > $6.00
Pack of 10 $54.15 > $57.00
10+ packs of 10 $51.30 > $54.00

3kg Single $9.90 > $10.30
Pack of 10 $94.05 > $97.85
10+ packs of 10 $89.10 > $92.70

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 04:57:16 PM »
and Registered Prepaid labels
Single label $2.80 > $2.95
Box of 50 $115.00 > $125.00

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 04:59:26 PM »
it is correct Registered Post forms will be no more

you now get a small orange and red lodgement receipt with the small Registered Post sticker on it

much simpler then that two piece form you used to use

bnwt, does the receipient's address still need to be written on the receipt?

retribution

• Knight of the RT
  • Hey! Don't clap. Throw me money makes less noise!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 05:20:15 PM »
It's bad enough re costs now than paying even more for postage. It certainly kills some items that appear cheap but when postage is added especially if over 500 grams they are a lot dearer than shop bought.  Prepaid satchels are ok for some items but small heavy objects in such a carriers often end up damaged because the PO guys/girls toss them around at every stage. They pick up a corner and right from go they get tossed into vans then tossed into sorting bins and so on.
I got some bulk coins 2.5kg and the Seller trying to get the cheapest postage sent them in a 3 kg satchel. While he'd really wrapped them up with bubble wrap and several layers of cloth and tape somewhat like a big baseball they still had clash marks on some re the tossing around. I would have rather he boxed them but then postage would have been exorbitant. East to West.

:crazy:

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 05:55:26 PM »
Thank you smee.  ;D
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 08:55:21 PM »

They pick up a corner and right from go they get tossed into vans then tossed into sorting bins and so on.

That's exactly why my seller friend tapes down all loose corners of satchels and sure-tuff bags they use ... so there IS nothing to grab. Admittedly, it still doesn't stop things getting thrown around - but it eliminates the extra energy you can impart with the right wrist action when flung by the corner.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 11:43:32 AM »
Australia Post has now added Click and Send for domestic parcels. It provides trackable delivery and is actually cheaper than the normal parcel price plus registered. You can also link it to your eBay account and it will import item details and name and address automatically. You just have to check the address is the same as PayPal and that the city and postcode match up. A lot of eBay users have their address as suburb, city, postcode.

To register:
http://www.clickandsend.com.au/

More info:
http://auspost.com.au/clickandsend/about-click-and-send/entering-item-details.html#describe-the-items

Welcome to Click and Send.

Click and Send was updated on the weekend to include domestic parcels. This means you can now use Click and Send to ship your parcels within Australia.

In addition to the four international services currently offered, four domestic parcel services are now available on Click and Send:

1) Parcel Post + Tracking (exclusive to Click and Send)

2) Parcel Post + Tracking with Signature (exclusive to Click and Send)

3) Express Post

4) Express Post Platinum

To send a parcel within Australia simply login to Click and Send with your existing username and password, then choose “Australia” as your destination country.

When sending items to a destination within Australia, Click and Send will print just the one address label. Please affix this label directly to your parcel and be careful not to obscure the barcodes.

Important Information about Plastic Pockets

In order to get the most efficient processing, please do not use the plastic pockets for your domestic shipments. These pockets are required to be used for international shipments only.

If you have any questions, the Click and Send helpdesk is only an email (clickandsend@auspost.com.au) or phone call (1300 662 710) away.

The Click and Send Team

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 07:43:58 PM »
What do you do with the parcel after you place the printed label on it? 

Just pop it in a letter box?...Or do they have to go over the counter?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 07:49:13 PM »
via Aust Post courier pick up or over the counter

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 08:00:54 PM »
... and your weights/sizes/cubing gets checked either way.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 01:16:12 PM »
new Registered Post form

[attachment deleted by admin]

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 02:22:21 PM »
I've just posted my first item using Click and Send.

verdict: Very Good! It takes a little while to sync the eBay sold items with Click and Send but once that's done it is a simple process. You just need A4 size labels to print out the address label which also includes sender details and the barcode (the label takes up half the A4 page).

My parcel was the first that my favourite PO had processed so they had to work out what to do! I had selected 'pay at PO'. The PO just weighs the item and clicks on 'Online Prepaid Parcel' and scans the barcode. It then automatically comes up with the details and price. Receipt printed and done! The cost is normal parcel price plus $1.50 for tracking, great to use when you just want tracking for PayPal purposes and don't need the Insurance that Registered provides.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 02:30:37 PM »
I quite often used receipted delivery rather than registered for paypal purposes .... another option people forgot about when they insisted that you could only use registered post or platinum plus

receipted delivery is perfectly acceptable by paypal and is half the cost of registered but is only available to Aust Post account holders

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 02:39:52 PM »
I think the Click and Send is a great implementation by eBay and Aus Post. For $1.50 it gives peace of mind that tracking is available for any PayPal claims.

And I've just checked, and my Reg Post and Click and Send parcels already show up on Aus Post tracking.

:banana: :banana:

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 02:45:32 PM »
Yep I agree Wheels it seems great especially for lower priced items,  registered mail was over kill

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 02:52:01 PM »
Smee, I've only registered high priced items or items that were better off being held at the PO and not try to have them jammed into a mail box.

I wonder if the sellers who insist on Reg Post for ANY PayPal payments will change their listings now? I've even seen ones that say in their listing that they use e-Parcel (which gives them tracking) but still charge for Reg Post for PayPal payments.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 02:55:14 PM »
those type of sellers are the ones that whinge that their sales are low .... Im not surprised 

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 04:13:56 PM »
I wish I could use Click & Send

Australia Post does not allow it for parcels under 250 grams ... which the bulk of my parcels are

&

the current software is not mac compatible

bee you gee gee ey ah

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 04:33:12 PM »
Australia Post does not allow it for parcels under 250 grams

I would look myself , but my pc is on a go extremely slow campaign at the moment ie 1/2 an hour to open a browser ,
Tags could you please post a link which shows the above rule please ....
as I was of the understanding that you could send light parcels on this service , but you just paid the upto 250 gram pcl rate plus the $1.50

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 05:22:36 PM »
Smee, when you enter the parcel dimensions a little pop-up box pops-up  ;D
with the message that dimensions must be
length between 12 and 105cm inclusive (and with at most 2 digits after the decimal point!)
width between 12 and 60cm inclusive
height between 5 and 60cm inclusive
and
weight must be between .251 and 20kg inclusive (and with at most 3 digits after the decimal point!)

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 05:25:23 PM »
ok thanks .... so you could send a parcel that weighs less , but they would charge you the  250g - 500g rate

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 05:26:27 PM »
... and there will be a calculated maximum 'girth' of 140cm too...

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2010, 05:30:44 PM »
yes of course, thanks Brumby,  same as all their parcel services

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2010, 08:32:27 PM »
I sometimes wonder if there are more informed users of Australia Post than staff.

The last time I went in to a (full branch) Post Office, the person who served me asked what they did with a multiple item registered form.....

To be fair, I think they were a trainee, but they have been there for at least a couple of weeks.

Another time I was asked to do the pink 'Dangerous Goods' declaration - for a large letter. (Only necessary for parcels).

..... and the number of times I've pulled them up for wanting to charge parcel rate for a large letter...!!! (We have our own AP gauge and cut packing material to fit. Had a lot of practice on this one.  :) )

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 09:11:18 PM »
A common problem with post office scales is that they need to be re-calibrated at some time.

Their scales also seem to malfunction often too!

I had a small win one day when I went to post a parcel...and the weight showing on their scale was almost double the actual weight!

I was fortunate that I had actually been in the po the day before...and had heard the lady saying they were having problems with that particular scale.

I insisted they weigh the parcel on another scale..and of course it was exactly the weight I had deemed it as.

Goodness knows how many people had been to that counter that day and had been ripped off!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 10:04:35 PM »
I picked up some cheap digital scales from the USA a few years back and they have been comandeered by my seller because I wasn't really using them (I just liked having the precision of digital scales).

As it turns out, they are pretty well spot on with Australia Post's scales ... maybe out by 1g at the most.

Had a parcel one day that was right on the cusp - but Australia Post weighed it at 501g - and dutifully charged the extra postage for that weight range. (The receipt is around somewhere with the proof.)

The next time I went in, I had a couple of parcels that had been carefully weighed on my scales and I checked out a couple of other scales at the post office, to see if there was one I would have saved money on ... but they all came in the same.

square peg

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 06:09:06 PM »
Australia Post does not allow it for parcels under 250 grams

I would look myself , but my pc is on a go extremely slow campaign at the moment ie 1/2 an hour to open a browser ,

That's because someone pushed the flash key
When opportunity knocks, don't complain about the noise.