Author Topic: BANK DETAILS NOT SHOWING ON EBAY AUSTRALIA  (Read 18101 times)

gr8-expectations

BANK DETAILS NOT SHOWING ON EBAY AUSTRALIA
« on: December 16, 2009, 01:49:28 PM »
JUST WONDERED IF ANYONE ELSE IS HAVING THIS PROBLEM?

I sold a number of items and some buyers wanted to pay by bank deposit but (fortunately) messaged me saying my bank details were not showing up on my ebay, i was able to send them by email but this seems to be a deliberate "glitch" by ebay, my bank details have always been on my ebay and should show but it seems mostly they dont even though when listing those options for displaying that method of payment are displayed.

Warning to all sellers when sending your final invoice to buyers and if you wish to avoid paypal fees by offering the alternative payment method of Bank deposit, include your bank details on the final invoice, that way you have more chance of getting paid that way if the buyer elects to do so.

Otherwise ebay will hide them knowing the buyer will get frustrated, not bother to ask the seller and therefore use Paypal, plus with bank deposit (or Paymate) you get the money in your bank faster by days at least than through Paypal.

You can message your buyer posst sale and check as to whether yours are showing, a polite email asking this is not out of line, not a payment reminder obviously, just query whether that option shows, if it does not enough people contacting ebay MAY make them fix it.

This happened to me as late as last night on a $90 sale, the nice lady persisted and asked me for the details, but most customers wont do that or have time to let you know, so you may never know this option you think you are providing is not showing up at checkout.

Your comments and experiences aare most welcome, if you became a seller in the past year, to have your bank details show on checkout you have to enter an agreement with ebay which is not that easy to find on the ebay site, i will post a link to it shortly here.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Re: BANK DETAILS NOT SHOWING ON EBAY AUSTRALIA
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 02:04:13 PM »
apart from keying your bank details in you must make sure the box is ticked on the listing that that says show bank details on checkout ... failing that if you are worried that they arent showing then just put them in the futher checkout instructions box

cueperkins

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 02:06:52 PM »
I reckon this thread would be ideal for the RT ???.....

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 02:09:27 PM »
yes Cupie unless for some reason Mr T doesnt want it viewed by the G.P.

cueperkins

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 02:14:10 PM »
What say you 'T'.....want to hang this out in public?

:biggirlpants: :bgirlpants: :bigboyjocks:  so many bgp opportunities....so little time.....

gr8-expectations

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 02:17:09 PM »
hang it out baby

gr8-expectations

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 02:17:37 PM »
but remove the pants ... lol

gr8-expectations

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 02:18:12 PM »
apart from keying your bank details in you must make sure the box is ticked on the listing that that says show bank details on checkout ... failing that if you are worried that they arent showing then just put them in the futher checkout instructions box

all boxes checked all systems operational smee in my case, still dont show....

gr8-expectations

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 02:22:30 PM »
i dont know how to move a thread and my powers have been severely curtailed since the splut incident

COUNTESS CAN YOU DO IT PLEASE?

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 03:55:43 PM »
This Thread sucks....
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

cueperkins

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »
Not every thread can be about you Tello...

I'm in checkout right now...I know the seller accepts b/deposit, because I emailed before bidding (and it is in the listing).....problem is.... I can't get past the bloody paypal window....now if that's not steering people deliberately towards Paypal, I don't know what is.

How can the listing payment options state that she accepts other payment methods but when it gets to checkout you can't get past the paypal full page screen with your name already inputted with no other payment method offered?  You'd expect that if the seller elects to have b/deposit and other payment methods when she lists an item, that it should automatically show up in checkout?....

So....now...as the customer I have to muckarse around emailing the seller, asking for the details and advising her that there is an obscure link in payment options that she'll need to make sure she has ticked without fail or all her buyers will pay with Paypal....Ebay  are just diabolical and seemingly in breach of their own UA with all this bloody inteferrence...'Venue only' eh?...bulllshit......meanwhile they assure RBA and ACCC that they are not engaging in anti competitive conduct deterring other payment methods?  More Bullshit. !!!!

Ebay is becoming a drag to shop on because they just can't stay out of the buyer seller transaction relationship can they?....no wonder buyers & smaller sellers are leaving in droves........I'm over it....it's no fun anymore...

So smee..apart from this link she has to use..(btw where is that)..lol.......what else does this seller need to know about offering other payment methods and making sure they are available to buyers?....Ebay is obviously not going to help....they just seem to make it harder and harder for sellers to conduct transactions without interference. 

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 07:13:25 PM »
Cupie, this may sound like a dumb question, but .. when you go to pay, checkout automatically takes you to a PayPal window because PayPal will always appear as the default payment method. If you scroll down can you see any other options to select, ie bank deposit?

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 07:18:30 PM »
The seller should check that the box in Payment Options  'show buyers your bank account number in checkout' is ticked.

[attachment deleted by admin]

cueperkins

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 07:24:55 PM »
Cupie, this may sound like a dumb question, but .. when you go to pay, checkout automatically takes you to a PayPal window because PayPal will always appear as the default payment method. If you scroll down can you see any other options to select, ie bank deposit?

No wheels...I pay with b/deposit all the time, so it's now automatic to scroll down and ignore Paypal....but alas it's ebay's endless twists and turns....the Seller has good feedback but as a buyer...she's only just started selling and it's a bit confusing for her no doubt....

But it's not the first time...I often have to email sellers to get their b/deposit details....someone else was saying that you have to give EBay a d/debit authority to put details in checkout....can any sellers confirm that?

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 07:29:48 PM »
My details must appear in checkout, a few buyers have paid by bank deposit and none have emailed me to ask first. And I've never given eBay my bank details other than as the default for Bank Deposit payments.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 07:34:56 PM »
Wheels that is correct,  ;D ;D ;D

When you checkout - if the seller has checked the right boxes when creating their ebay ad either through ebay's own listing screen or through a 3rd party like Auctiva for example - then one of the options (with Paypal large and looming at the top lol) below are the other methods, so when you go to pay the seller you select "Bank Deposit Express" or words to that effect.

Now, even if you have done this (on your ads) and have not set up your ebay account on My Ebay to SHOW your bank details they will not show.

To add a bank account to your ebay information in My Ebay, you log into your account, got to SITE PREFERENCES under the ACCOUNTS tab and scroll down to the heading "Payments from Buyers".

When you get there you will see on the right hand side a button which allows you to expand that section (on the right) saying "SHOW". Click that then the options will show (hopefully) allowing you to add your bank details. Because my details are already added I can only talk you through the steps to the next one below.

Once those options are expanded by clicking the "Show" button, at the bottom of those is the last option called "Use Bank Deposit Express" and to the right of that is a button you now click called "Edit".

as mentioned I have them already in so after you click edit you follow the steps suggested to add your bank details which involves agreeing to ebays UA (User Agreement) and entering your personal or business bank details and some other information.

Awfully convoluted, and nowhere near as deadly simple as say.... adding Paypal lol but worth it if you want to get paid with real money.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 07:36:40 PM »
Gr8, you beat me to it. I was just typing up the steps to add Bank Deposit Express.

Gr8 minds think alike!

gr8-expectations

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 07:36:46 PM »
My details must appear in checkout, a few buyers have paid by bank deposit and none have emailed me to ask first. And I've never given eBay my bank details.

you must have entered your bank details in your ebay as per above at some stage wheels for them to show, otherwise they would not show

gr8-expectations

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 07:37:56 PM »
Gr8, you beat me to it. I was just typing up the steps to add Bank Deposit Express.

Gr8 minds think alike!

lo, yep you're right wheels

its not really possible to provide a link is it wheels? There was a link i found ages back on ebay but I had rung live help to assist me to find it, its that well hidden lol

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 07:38:12 PM »
Yes, I've just added that to my post!  ;D

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT

gr8-expectations

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 07:44:09 PM »

No wheels...I pay with b/deposit all the time, so it's now automatic to scroll down and ignore Paypal....but alas it's ebay's endless twists and turns....the Seller has good feedback but as a buyer...she's only just started selling and it's a bit confusing for her no doubt....

But it's not the first time...I often have to email sellers to get their b/deposit details....someone else was saying that you have to give EBay a d/debit authority to put details in checkout....can any sellers confirm that?

exactly cupie, buyers and sellers have a tendency to give up because its too hard.... why is it too hard?

because thats suits ebay just perfectly.... then they get paid by Paypal

Q. what is Paypal?

A. an eBay company with associated fees and charges (on top of ebay fees and charges)

I like using Paypal in terms of its simplicity but Paymate does exactly the same thing faster and safer and has real customer service and a phone line that answers, and to the best of my knowledge is a signatory to the EFT code of conduct.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 07:51:15 PM »
To be fair to Paypal if we went to pay for something we bought overseas online and there was no such payments method the cheapest we would be charged by our banks would be about $22.00 to send the money to their bank overseas and it would not be instant. However, there are at least six such international Payment methods competing with the behemoth Paypal and NONE of those (especially Paymate the safest of all) offered on any ebay site I know of, I have not checked but it was announced that Paymate would become part of ebay US checkout, perhaps someone can tell me if that happened?

Anyway this thread is about bank deposit, which, if you trust the seller and they have very good feedback and dsrs, can be a convenient and less costly way to get paid and make it faster for you to access funds to pay for things like .... posting the item you sold (aust. post do not accept Paypal to the best of my knowledge) and you can use the money instatly for anything you like.

Where I find it gets complex is when you need to send a heavy book overseas, postage on a recent one was $85.00 the buyer expects the seller to fund that and ship prior to their paypal payment being cleared for the seller, there is not much we can do about that one and without some form of payment system like paypal we may not have gotten the overseas sale in the first place, but for domestic sales here, if buyers pay by bank (and thankfully some do) those funds are instantly available to be used for shipping items and paying postage costs as well as for profit.

gr8-expectations

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 07:53:44 PM »
Gr8,

:google:

I couldn't find it through the help pages!

cueperkins

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 08:02:05 PM »
Thanks Wheels I'll send that link onto the seller so she can at least have a fighting chance...lol

gr8-expectations

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 08:03:09 PM »
nope neither could I wheelsy, i got a whole pile of auctions come up relating to bank things, you dud well to find it, i never tried google before thought i would be able to find it through ebay, shows what they think of bank deposit, a search on "bank deposit" on ebay dont bring up nuthin! lol

gr8-expectations

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 08:08:01 PM »
ebay programmer to another....

Q. "how can we still have the bank option on the site to meet legal requirements but make it as hard as possible to find?"

A. "Easy, hide it and rename it "bankpay" noone will search on that"

lol

gr8-expectations

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 08:09:36 PM »
here they are again folks... big thank you to wheels for finding it on google (not on ebay)

Info for sellers:
http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/bankpay.html

for buyers:
http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/bankpay.html

cueperkins

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 08:15:57 PM »
GR8...I think you and Wheels could put together a very good FAQ on this subject..yes?

gr8-expectations

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 08:17:48 PM »
yes ok fine cupie

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2009, 08:58:42 PM »
ebay programmer to another....

Q. "how can we still have the bank option on the site to meet legal requirements but make it as hard as possible to find?"

A. "Easy, hide it and rename it "bankpay" noone will search on that"

lol

It wouldn't be hard for an incentive scheme to be set up for programmers to come up with all these weird and wonderful 'smoke and mirrors' ideas.

The big problem would be keeping things under wraps - but it is not impossible for there to be some highly 'persuasive' confidentiality constraints built into an employment contract.

So that idea isn't as silly as it seems.......

cueperkins

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
I've just had a seller spinning me a story that she can't send anything in a padded bag (much cheaper) because it doesn't provide her with proof of postage....what?......I'm paying rego on this purchase by the way....so I'm intrigued at this stage. ...I'm confused...since when does registration not suffice as proof of postage???.....And since when do you get proof of postage with boxes?  Is there an AP box that has a bar code express tag or something?...

gr8-expectations

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 09:16:13 PM »
cupie maybe it would be good to start a thread on that subject here? I have not heard of that one, but there are many constraints and fine print re postage but I am not an expert on it, we could try to find the right link on ebay and discuss from there, sounds weird that one tho at first glance

gr8-expectations

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 09:21:13 PM »
Re uses of this thread, we can discuss the alternatives to Paypal, not only the bank deposit issues of bank details not showing but also conduct a look at what the other alternatives are to receive and make online payments other than paypal.

One obvious one is Paymate, ostensibly an aust. owned and operated company apparently doing a pretty good job. The way to accept paymate payments (and this is not illegal in terms of ebay rules to the best of my knowledge) is to add the HTML code by copy and paste to the top of your ebay ads. This means buyers can simply click the fast checkout link and go straight to Paymate to pay you, the seller would simply then mark the item as paid.

I will investigate this further, i used to put that link on all my own ads but noone ever used it lol but it is a good thing to promote as a viable alternative to paypal, paymate USED to charge the buyer a very small fee for the service but they no longer do that and its very fast compared to Paypal, they address all seller and buyer claims fairly, we may invite Paymate to this thread or a dedicated one here to look at the way they operate.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 09:54:15 PM »
This is weird. I set up my eBay account to sell a book a little more than a year ago (if I recall correctly). This was a "test case" to check a payment invoice issue. A fellow boardie joined me in the endeavour.

I didn't have an enormous degree of convolution at that time in setting it up so that my bank details would be showing on checkout. It wasn't straightforward, but it wasn't as bendy as what you've just described.

Has it all got more difficult and tricky in the last year? Have the requirements to have bank payment options and bank account details showing changed...?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 10:47:18 PM »
No excuses here - but an observation from experience...

When a system is designed and built, there are always things that could be done better - but you have to draw a line somewhere and get the thing built, delivered and running!

When the inevitable changes come, there is always the possibility that some architectural, structural and/or database component does not comfortably lend itself to a new feature and a decision has to be made: Make the architectural, structural and/or database change (which can be costly - especially if there are cascading implications) - OR - make the change fit. 

In the corporate world, the idea of selling a big ticket programming effort for an ostensibly simple change doesn't fly very often, so the 'make it fit' option is the most frequent choice, which, invariably, is a compromise in one or more ways.

With further changes, these compromises can result in an ungainly setup that can be difficult to follow, prone to errors (bugs), unstable and/or inefficient (in any number of ways!).

PERHAPS this situation is a result of such an evolution...

or maybe a programmer or systems analyst scored a bonus on the (imaginary) incentive scheme for that one.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2009, 07:31:34 AM »

Not every thread can be about you Tello...

Good thing! I'd never be able to keep up with them!  :lol:
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"