Author Topic: Accepting payments on your website  (Read 11540 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Accepting payments on your website
« on: August 18, 2009, 09:46:14 AM »
Has anyone looked at using Google Checkout as a payment method on their website?

http://checkout.google.com/sell

Google Checkout fees
Transaction processing fees
Monthly Sales Through Google CheckoutFees Per Transaction
Less than $3,0002.9% + $0.30
$3,000 - $9,999.992.5% + $0.30
$10,000 - $99,999.992.2% + $0.30
$100,000 or more1.9% + $0.30

An additional 1% fee will be assessed on transactions where the merchant's country is different from the buyer's billing country.

Protect yourself from fraud with Google Checkout

When using Google Checkout, you can sell with complete confidence. Google Checkout's industry-leading fraud protection program keeps you safe from fraud while helping you lower costs and increase sales. Here's how:

* Guaranteed Payment: Checkout's Payment Guarantee protects 98% of Checkout orders on average -- when an order is guaranteed, you get paid even if it results in a chargeback.

* Free Protection: While merchants are typically charged for fraud protection services, Google's comprehensive protection is free.

* Lower Fraud Costs: Checkout's fraud detection systems reduce fraud and manual review costs by proactively filtering out fraudulent orders.

* More Sales: The same systems also help increase sales by identifying legitimate orders that you might otherwise mark as fraudulent.

* Fair Treatment: Unlike other services that immediately deduct funds from you for chargebacks, Google does so only after a decision has been made as to who is at fault.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
Re: Accepting payments on your website
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:59:20 AM »
G'day Wheels. What is the situation with buyers? Paypal always levies an exchange rate about 2% lower than the current exchange rate of the day for O/Seas transactions involving another currency eg if EX rate is US$.84 Paypal uses US$.82.

Also, does Ebay allow the use of Google as a payment method?

The answers are probably all on their site but I'm too lazy (this morning) to go and search.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:07:41 AM »
Ubbrd, from what I've read so far. Buyers sign up and nominate a creditcard payment method and currency conversions are calculated via their creditcard provider.

https://checkout.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=48414

NO, eBay does not allow google checkout - it is competition to PayPal!

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 10:15:11 AM »
NO, eBay does not allow google checkout - it is competition to PayPal!

I remember there was a knock-down, drag-out fight several years ago: G00gle vs. eBay.

As a bitter consequence, G00gle shunned eBay searches for quite some time, and then it leveled off and, well, that's all I remember.

G00gle it....
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:19:51 AM »
OK, just ignore this thread and carry on - Google Checkout is not available for Aus sellers yet!

I just found this in the PDS:

At this time, the only Australia-based sellers that are eligible to participate in the service offered by Google Checkout are developers for the Android Marketplace. Android Market enables Android developers to easily distribute applications and games to users of Android-powered devices.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 10:20:02 AM »
I was looking at Google Checkout, but not for myself. It was not at that time (about a year ago) able to be used by sellers in Australia. Has the situation changed?

I have a merchant account, hence I accept payments directly by credit card processed by the secure payment gateway on my site. I pay a flat monthly fee and no per-transaction fee, and I can also accept payment by phone or using a card swiper at concerts.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 10:22:39 AM »
I prefer the smell of cash, thank you very much.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 10:22:56 AM »
SNAP!
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 10:41:38 AM »
Excellent!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 12:23:01 AM »
I'd like to point out something.

Merchants who use PayPal on their own websites as the payment gateway may lose prospective sales because PayPal do not offer any sort of guarantee/protection with items not being as described - and buyers are more and more becoming aware of it.

Buyers are also realising that the protection of their credit card may be worth relying upon - and would welcome the opportunity to purchase from businesses which can accept credit card payment (and I don't mean through PayPal; paying by c/c via PayPal is just inserting a troublesome middle party which isn't needed and doesn't offer protection in this case).

That's something worth thinking about, hmm?