The Oz Round Table boards > PayPal

Partial Refund Question

(1/4) > >>

Golden Silence:
Hi All,

I did a partial refund to a buyer yesterday - my first one. While it's completed and seemed simple to do, I do have a query about the fee involved.

I don't remember the screen exactly but it looked to me as though the fee was taken from the buyer and not me.

So for eg, if I refund $100 he only got $97-something and not the full $100, is that right?

Primaryaim:
Hi Golden, I don't have an expert reply for you and later in the day there will be more posters here who can give a definite answer but...

I thought if a partial refund was processed the buyer did not get charged anything and your initial fee should go down.

I await a correct answer in anticipation :)

Golden Silence:
Thanks Prim, that's what I thought too but there was some sort of deduction from the full amount. I'll check back later. Luckily the buyer is happy anyway so I'm not expecting a problem but it would be nice to know.

*CountessA*:
According to this guide, no fees should be incurred by either you or the buyer, Golden Silence.

This confirms what I've read on the old RT. Did you issue the refund through the original buyer payment?

You should receive a partial refund of the PayPal fees if issuing a partial refund.

exislegirl:
Hello Golden, if I haven't got the wrong end of the stick, it sounds like you send the buyer money, rather than doing an actual refund.

To do a partial refund you need to go into your PayPal account and find the original transaction and click on 'details' in the column next to the record of the transaction... when that page opens you will see a 'refund' button at the bottom of the page. You must issue the refund from there, so the buyer won't be charged any fees for accepting the money.

If you just send the buyer money via PayPal, (not linked to original transaction) the buyer would be charged the usual transaction fees.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version