Author Topic: Identity Confirmation  (Read 16057 times)

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Identity Confirmation
« on: September 01, 2009, 12:19:55 AM »
Huh??

I have been using my other selling ID for a long time and today when I went to list some new items I get this page that says:

Please confirm your identity
You're signing in from a computer we're not familiar with. That's no problem, but we need to take a few moments just to make sure no one is trying to access your account without permission.

(Its the same computer I have always listed on ehhh?)

Tell us what number to call
After you answer, there may be a short pause, then "If you are expecting this call, press__." Press the corresponding key, then listen for your PIN.
Enter it on the next page and you'll be good to go.
02-XXXXX550
Call me at a new number instead
( )
Please answer security question below to receive your PIN
Your answer
Provide answer to your secret question on file

Example: supreseller12
Example: MM/YY - 08/18
Example: greatseller@goodkarma.com
Example: 1234567890 (numbers only)

Call me now  (if you're ready to pick up the phone right now)
Call in 2 min  (if you're not quite ready or need time to disconnect from the internet)

If you're unable to confirm your identity by phone or email, please use Live Help to chat with an eBay agent.
Please note: eBay partners with other companies for assistance with member verification. By clicking this button, you are agreeing to share your contact information with eBay partners for the sole purpose of verification.

What the heck? and what secret question, I joined so many years ago I wouldnt know what it was if I fell over it even if I remembered giving one which I dont lol.

All I found was this workshop from May 08:
http://workshops.ebay.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2000560470&ssPageName=CMDV:WC0684

I have sold so many things in the past three years and never ever seen this before in fact I bought something yesterday so shouldnt they know it is me?

Anyone got a clue why it would suddenly want me to confirm?

On another note if this is the case, where is the confirmation that BUYERS are legit..if sellers have to do this so should buyers.
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
Re: Identity Confirmation
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 12:30:51 AM »
No idea, what triggers it Liisa.

I have a small selection of posting ID's (which I haven't used for months) and found that I had to do the same thing when I went to buy something for the first time with one of them.  It seemed to be random.  There was no rhyme or reason.

There was no difference between the id's.  All connected to Paypal etc etc.  

This happened months ago when I needed to build up to 10 feedbacks.
:duckling:

cueperkins

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 07:09:19 AM »
Yes, and no doubt Ebay will promote this as some type of 'ad hoc' verification process in place of real verification?  They really need to review their changes and figure out if it has been worth losing the soul of Ebay Au for all this 'innovative disruption'.  They've made the 'Ebay Experience', anything but fun.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 08:36:51 AM »
Oh and I should add that at this point any phone number can be put in that you happen to be sitting near because you can choose to be rung back straight away, so it doesn't actually prove it is your home phone.  It just proves that at that particular point in time you were sitting near a phone that you can answer.

The phone has an automated voice that gives you a pin so you never get to talk to a particular person at all and you then access a computer and put the pin in.

I repeat, I don't believe it proves anything.
:duckling:

bobbybigbear

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 10:49:32 AM »
I think their software will randomly do an IP check, so if you have a dynamic IP that changes everytime you turn your modem off for more than 5 minutes, this new number may trigger the programme when you go to sign in.

It is my belief that ebay are serious about some of the stuff happening on the forums, and even the possibility it will lead to a massive law suit by someone, or trigger a walk out if the scammers get a stronger foothold.

What is that old saying about horses and stable doors  ;D

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 10:58:07 AM »
I repeat, I don't believe it proves anything.

Now, now Fluffy. That's a bit harsh!  ;D
It proves to eBay that you are a fine upstanding citizen who can access a computer and a telephone at the same time. So no problemo, start selling!

You do not have to provide real proof of your identity at any time to sell on eBay, you do not have to have a permanent address. I have read of sellers who have registered on eBay with a fake name and fake address, and passed the eBay Indentity Confirmation - some were not even located in Australia!

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 03:07:43 PM »

Hah ! thats funny...a robot asking you if you are a real person....POT / KETTLE....LOLOL

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 10:57:05 PM »
Checkout this thread on Ebay CS. "Charged $140 for the privilege of being a Paypal victim of fraud!" It's a real worry.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 11:09:19 PM »

I tried Birdie I really did first time I have risked going to that site for a  while ..... couldnt see hide nor hair of such a thread ... htf do you find stuff there ????

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 11:17:10 PM »
Wow. It looks like Ebay have removed it already. It was only created today & already had a heap of posts damming Paypal. For it's lack of security & accounts being hacked & drained.

Ebay won't allow such threads, irrespective of whether it's the truth or not.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 11:20:47 PM »
I just had another check & it's there a bit more than half way down the first page if you are signed in. I wonder if it will last.

Poddy

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 11:23:11 PM »
who was the poster anyone know?

maybe they could come here and post it .

ebay checjks this site and google list it   ;D

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 11:24:55 PM »
The OP is brisneygirl

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 11:41:37 PM »

Couldn't help myself...had to put my 2 cents worth in...twists the knife..LOL

http://forums.ebay.com.au/topic/Community-Spirit/Charged-140-For/600122186

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 11:42:08 PM »
Good stuff Yib.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 12:06:04 AM »

I don't understand this comment left by a poster...... what is FB?

""On my FB today, a friend posted that this had happened to her. Apparently a key stroke logger which comes through FB Applications was at fault.

I've deleted almost everything from FB. I'm changing passwords left and right. I'm closing my Paypal.

Stuff that.""

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 12:07:53 AM »
I have no idea. I thought it might have meant Feedback but that doesn't make sense.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 12:08:49 AM »
Could it be short for "Feebay"?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 12:09:45 AM »
facebook ???

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 12:10:52 AM »
I reckon you could be onto something there Smee, good thinking.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 12:13:39 AM »

I reckon you guy's are right...Face book !....good detective work....

cueperkins

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 08:08:19 AM »
Can somebody please take a screen shot of that thread before it disappears?  please?......oh, and as I've said HUNDREDS of times over the past 18 months.....you MUST read Paypal's User Agreement and pay attention...they DON'T cover you in the case of data interception, fraud, or identity theft....they NEVER did....so why should it be so surprising that once again, someome has been ripped off and given no recourse?    I have stood by my refusal to be extorted into even joining Paypal....my biggest concern is that one day soon we're all going to hear about mass account hacking and many consumers will lose out......thank gord all States in Australia would now have 'unfair consumer contract' laws in place....this means that if you take Paypal to F/trading or BFSO, they can't argue their unfair consumer contract...i.e. that you agreed to be placed at risk of fraud, data interception or identity theft, by agreeing to their unconscionable UA. 

I don't post over there as you all know....can someone please use a posting ID, and give this poster the BFSO complaint link?......They need to know about these issues, because then and only then will ASIC step in to investigate their ongoing deception of consumers with their guarantees of elusive 'protection'.  Then and only then may they be encouraged enthusiastically by the powers that be, to sign and abide by the EFT Code, which ASIC also administers.

SIGN THE EFT CODE PAYPAL YOU PACK OF UNCONSCIONABLE PIRATES. !!

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 10:52:28 PM »

cupie, I copied the OP's initial post..   

Charged $140 for the privilege of being a Paypal victim of fraud!
1/09/2009 19:49

Twice my Paypal account has been hacked. I do not have spyware, have not told anyone my password, have not followed a link in an email, and have not had an issue with Netbank or ANZ netbanking which I use all the time. The chap at Paypal said that information can be stolen by third parties by just browsing suspicious websites. Funny how Paypal seems to be the only site hacked?

This last time some grub in Quebec tried to make US$600 worth of transfers.

The Commonwealth Bank has charged me $140 in dishonour fees for the transactions. I have spent half the day on the phone between Paypal and Commonwealth Bank and noone is budging.

Argh, I am at my wits end. It seems there isn't anywhere you can make complaints about bank fees.

I have some serious concerns about Paypal's security measures.
Reply|Reply with Quote
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 10:25:02 PM »
Ok... as to the opening post on this thread, I have had that message come up several times, as I travel a fair bit and use either hubby's laptop (when we are in a motel), or the computer of whichever member of our extended family we are staying with at the time! I usually have them ring my mobile number....

and don't ask me what my secret question answer is , I can't remember now!!