Author Topic: So how often have you sent an item and forgot the buyer hasn't yet paid?  (Read 12653 times)

ernest_price

Just did 2 of them today.   :blush:

Been around 400 sales since I've done that - how's it usually turned out for everyone else of recent times?

cueperkins

Re: So how often have you sent an item and forgot the buyer hasn't yet paid?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 07:16:29 AM »
Hi Ernie.....when I was selling, I never did that, but I have had at least half a dozen sellers over the years, send me an item I hadn't paid for yet.   I always paid them anyway because otherwise, it is in fact viewed as theft on my part....

Years back I bought a fax machine, got it home, went to put the receipt away in my files and noticed it was charged at $10.95.  The real price was $1095.00.  Now I could have kept it and been dishonest, but my conscience wouldn't have allowed that anyway, so I rang the store, much to the relief of the salesperson who would have surely lost his job.

Speaking to a legal colleague a few weeks later, he advised me that had I attempted to keep the item, when I knew full well that it had not essentially been paid for, it could be viewed and prosecuted as theft......So...it pays to do the right thing...hopefully your customers will also do the right thing....have you notified them?

poison_ivy

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 07:43:36 PM »
I have never actually done that yet, though a couple of times I have posted off several parcels and wondered afterwards if I had put the right things in the right parcel, I worry about doing that, but fortunately it has been fine and the right stuff was in the right parcels...phew.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 07:51:16 PM »
Hi Ivy , long time no speak !

ernest_price

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 12:06:16 AM »
Looking a tiny little bit uglier - item would have arrived today and no contact or payment. They haven't been to checkout either. It's only 3 days since auction, though. Maybe they are on hols or just busy? :)

Cupie - I have notified the buyer about the oops.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 12:13:06 AM »
I think you should be ok Ernest most people out there are pretty honest .... hope it all works out

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 10:15:57 PM »
I have done that just once - and luckily the buyer paid the next day, before his / her parcel arrived! ( must have thought I had lightening fast post!)

I'm more like Imps... stress that I have addressed the parcel correctly -
I have actually sent the wrong thing to someone, but only once, and they were nice enough to send it back - I paid for that postage! I try to be extra careful now- but some days I still go..."did I write that address today?? I can't remember!"

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 01:57:06 AM »
I've only done it once.  The buyer told me they had paid through bank express and I sent the parcel before it appeared in my bank account.  It turned out that they thought that completing checkout some how magically meant that their bank paid me.  I had sent the item and tried to get AP to stop the item as I didn't know whether the buyer was geniune or not.

I also rang their house and the lady was out shopping so I spoke to her husband and he must have gotten onto her.  I explained to him she hadn't paid and to check her bank account and told them how to pay via Paypal.  (Cause I thought if she couldn't work out the bank transfer once, maybe she wouldn't get it again).  Anyway, she/they paid by Paypal the day she received the parcel. 

Note:  Even though AP said they would stop the parcel being delivered, it seems they were unable to and it was delivered anyway.  Just as well it all worked out fine....   ;D
:duckling:

poison_ivy

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 04:08:20 PM »
Hi Ivy , long time no speak !

It has been awhile Smee  :-*

brisneygirl

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 10:08:13 PM »
When I was selling I did it once.  They paid before the parcel had turned up, so it all worked out ok in the end. 

If they didn't pay I was just going to chalk it up to stupidity as it wasn't an overly expensive item.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 10:37:41 AM »
any joy Ernest ?

ernest_price

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 09:00:28 AM »
All good. They were in a remote area and only got to email sporadically. Same with payment - only got to do it sporadically. They had received the item and were trying to work out how they got it as they didn't actually know they had won it yet!

cueperkins

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 09:44:56 AM »
Hi Ernest, it's been a while....good to hear it all worked out in the end.