Author Topic: Australia Days - A Proposal  (Read 5653 times)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Australia Days - A Proposal
« on: January 26, 2023, 08:35:52 PM »
Once again, the celebration of European settlement of this land is before us - and with some controversy which is gaining a louder voice each year.

While the label "Invasion Day" is somewhat emotive, it is very clear that from the perspective of the Aboriginal peoples, it is rather accurate - and unarguably so.  If you are not convinced, just put yourself in their shoes and think about it for a minute.

While I do not deny this in any way, shape or form, I am somewhat apprehensive about the intensity of the expression of this perspective.  To the critics, it may seem more like Social Justice Warriors enjoying the opportunity to get mad about something.  Then again, it is fair to say that making a noise (sometimes a loud one) is often necessary to instigate change.

What I am proposing is inspired by the current practice of "Welcome to country" and "Acknowledgement of Country" which facilitates recognition of the traditional custodians of a location and it does not demand a change to the daily life of Australians, since it would be impractical to do so.

The proposal:
26th January remains as it is, marking the beginning of European settlement
25th January be established as a day for indigenous celebrations.  By being the day before, it is representative of the fact that the Aboriginal peoples were here before the Europeans.

Together, these days can encapsulate the joint contributions that have made this country what it is today.

Other considerations:
 - People can choose which day(s) to celebrate - one, the other, or both
 - Allow workers to choose one of the days as a public holiday
 - Have this period referred to as "Australia Days" (just my suggestion)
 - It may be that local indigenous groups may want to name the 25th something specific and that this may be different from one region to another.  I don't see any problem with this - and it allows for each of the Aboriginal groups to express their individuality within a collective celebration.

While I am certain there will be other pros and cons that can - and should - be raised, I believe there is some merit to be found with this proposal.  Even if this idea is dismissed, I can only hope it might inspire someone to come up with a solution that can work.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Australia Days - A Proposal
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 09:59:38 PM »
Lets cave in to the minority .... again

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 12:53:58 AM »
Well, I must be on to something.

I've had negative response from both sides of this.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 02:59:22 AM »
Sucks to be you.
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"