Tello Presents: "The Politics of Law and Revenge"

(1/14) > >>

tellomon:
A work in progress.

tellomon:
Montello man shoots another outside bar

December 23, 2013 6:00 pm  •  By Dylan Woolf Harris
Dylan Woolf Harrisdharris@elkodaily.com

ELKO — A Montello man was arrested Friday for attempted murder for shooting another man in the foot following a verbal confrontation, according to the sheriff’s office.
Ronald L. Culley, AKA "Ron Tello", 55, argued with Lester J. Alderman outside the Cowboy Bar in Montello when he pulled out a gun, prompting Alderman to run away, said Undersheriff Clair Morris.

Before the victim could escape, Culley fired three shots from a .38-caliber revolver, Morris said, but two of the bullets didn’t hit anyone.

“Unfortunately, they all didn’t miss,” Morris said.

The third bullet fired went in Alderman’s foot and out his ankle. Morris said he was unsure if the round ricocheted off the pavement.

Alderman was flown to Salt Lake City for medical treatment.

Investigators believe Culley and Alderman were arguing over personal belongings that one man said the other had taken from him.

Two deputies stationed in Wells received the call of a shooting at about 6:30 p.m., Morris said, and two sheriff’s detectives followed to investigate.

Culley was found at his home, which is next to the bar, and he was arrested without incident for attempted murder and discharging a weapon where another person might be endangered.

Culley is being held at the Elko County Jail on $100,640 bail.

The two men had been drinking, according to Morris.

Copyright 2014 Elko Daily Free Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

TagsMontello, Law_crime, Ronald L. Culley, Lester J. Alderman, Elko County Nevada, Sheriff, Attempted Murder, Shooting
View (37) Comments
(37) Comments

Report Abuse smacks - January 04, 2014 7:40 am
Considering Mr. Culley was victimized by the alleged victim, had the case mishandled by an underfunded Sheriffs dept. (their own words), and was confronted by the same man, put into the position of defending himself, spent Christmas and New Years in jail....it would be nice to see some justice by showing a little humanity and releasing him with time served.

I'd hate to see him victimized yet again. At the very least I'd like to see him released on his own recognizance while awaiting trail.

Report Abuse smacks - January 04, 2014 7:57 am
Before I get "insulted" for claiming shooting a man running away can't be self defense, it can be. If under duress and/or a perceived future threat. Not to mention if a person believes they in immediate danger and fires warning shots, this could very well be the case.

Hang in there Ron!

Report Abuse smacks - January 04, 2014 8:54 am
Hmmm.....Rethinks saying "Hang in there" to a guy in jail, lol.

Report Abuse CountessA - January 02, 2014 8:04 pm
I understand the attempted murder charge has been dropped, the Attorney-General's office only filing a battery with gun charge.
Perhaps Mr Culley felt he was receiving no justice or assistance from the law. If so, it's a situation of great concern. Citizens need to feel reliance upon the fair hand of the law; otherwise it seems inevitable that some will take the 'law' into their own hands.
It also creates a legal quicksand where there ought to be solid ground; clear and obvious reason to appeal.

Report Abuse Smee - January 03, 2014 10:04 pm
And before Blueveinman or Chad senileSmith come along ... Im fully aware that
dysfunctionist isnt a word , but I ran out of available charater spaces to type it in correct English , but im sure even people with clown in their bloodlines get the gist of the comment

Report Abuse Chad Smith - January 04, 2014 8:54 am
I never corrected anyone's grammar, that was blueman Joz and Smacks doing that. What makes you think I would care to come along and correct yours? I simply don't care.

Report Abuse Joz - January 05, 2014 11:50 am
that's a lie. it was smacks and myself who were the spell cops.
blueman lashed out into an uncalled for interpersonal dispute.
get your facts straight before making a comment. :P

Report Abuse Smee - January 04, 2014 7:15 pm
Good

Report Abuse Smee - January 03, 2014 9:59 pm
The arresting officer should be stood down for at least 12 months without pay for even contemplating a charge of attempted murder
He should then be made to undego all sorts of tests to see if he actually can partially
grasp the intentions of the law or understand the basics of policing before even being considered for a return to the force , perhaps a mental assessment wouldnt go astray either, that charge had less chance of standing up in court than an erectile dysfuctionists penis!

Report Abuse CountessA - January 02, 2014 9:30 pm
EDIT: District Attorney's office rather than the Attorney-General's office.

Report Abuse Keepinitstraight - January 02, 2014 11:39 am
Shocking no!! Only place in America kids belly up to a bar! We have been out there a couple of times and the stuff we have seen is shocking and when you say anything the residents tell you "there is no law in Montello!"

Report Abuse Smee - December 30, 2013 10:29 pm
Welease Wonnie

Report Abuse Lady Rose - December 30, 2013 9:22 pm
Release Ronald J Culley he is a Innocent man just trying to protect him self, as is his right o do so :(.

Report Abuse pixygurl - December 30, 2013 8:55 am
heck they have the old motel bar out there with no license and sheriff department knows about it but does nothining.

Report Abuse smacks - December 29, 2013 10:19 am
Chad, I don't see a reply button under your comment so I'll reply here. It's not an accusation, it's a history available by googling his name.

I didn't say it was self defense, but it is a possibility. What we see in the article.... he was standing in front of the alleged victim, pulled his gun and shot. A man standing directly in front of him and a possible ricochet hit him in the foot.

How can that possibly be attempted murder?

And Blueboy...THAT is how an adult has a conversation.

Report Abuse CountessA - December 29, 2013 3:57 am
Ronald L Culley spoke to a representative of the law, frustrated after the law failed to act when he was robbed.
Anecdotally, it seems the question was asked, "Can I shoot them in the foot?"
To which, "Yeah".
Of course this is hearsay; I cannot attest to the validity of this.
But it does highlight that there is a backstory behind the shooting of the pavement.
Was wrong done to Culley? Did the law fail to assist?
One hopes the victim is recovering.
Bad tempers, guns, too much beer, betrayal...?

Report Abuse Lady Rose - December 29, 2013 4:51 am
I have to agree with you Countessa, I feel that Ron is being rail roaded,, Bail is also VERY high for a case like this..
No Guns in NZ and it would have just been a punch up assault charge.

Such a lovely man who was robbed what was done about that, seem to be one law in that town for some but not other, if the law had done their job this would never have happened.
Very sad to see such a good man in Jail.

Report Abuse Lady Rose - December 29, 2013 3:38 am
Attempted Murder , My foot.

This has happened because of your gun laws, you let someone carry a gun and sooner or later they will use it.
I must say I am surprised at the charge seems over the top to me. Ron is such a lovely guy who would not harm anyone, think it must be self defence.
I will be watching how it goes for him from New Zealand

Report Abuse smacks - December 29, 2013 3:12 am
Blueman, first of all you are the idiot. It's you're...not your. Where did you get your degree, mail order? If you're going to work for a newspaper learn proper English. People shoot people every day in the US and MOST are not charged with attempted murder.

By the way.....YOU'RE FIRED!!!

Report Abuse Blueman - December 28, 2013 2:53 pm
Smacks, your an idiot. Where did you get your law degree? If you would put done Candy Crush and pick up a book you might learn something. Anytime you point a gun at someone and pull the trigger weather or not you hit them or were you hit them, it's concidered attempted murder. And just so you know, if you kill them then it's murder.

Report Abuse Joz - December 29, 2013 8:15 am
your-youre^ done-down^ weather-whether^ were-where^ concidered-considered^

depends, if it was self defense or not.

he looks like a crook in the picture doesnt he? lol, you can't judge a book by its cover though. i'm sure he'll polish up alright for court too.

Report Abuse Chad Smith - December 30, 2013 7:01 pm
http://i.imgur.com/HCpoe8F.jpg

;)

Report Abuse Joz - December 30, 2013 10:14 pm
is this an outting? i wondered who blueman was

Report Abuse Joz - December 30, 2013 10:10 pm
right click n saved, :-D

Report Abuse Lady Rose - December 29, 2013 4:04 pm
Joz if we go by looks the jails would be over flowing :)

I hope he gets a decent lawyer provided by the state, still cant understand American law, bail ridiculous.

Report Abuse Joz - December 30, 2013 6:03 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S9ecXWCBCc

Report Abuse Joz - December 30, 2013 5:26 am
me too l.rose!
the high bail amount seems to be for political purposes, which is very unfair for a case such as this
i know ronnie wouldnt hurt a fly and nor would i, & if i was in his shoes and my life was threatened i wouldve done the same

RELEASE HIM!!!!

Report Abuse smacks - December 29, 2013 10:26 am
Lol Joz...You'd think when someone calls another an idiot he'd at least have his mom check his spelling before pressing "submit". He definitely could use a better photo!

I noticed those other errors but ran out of characters.

Thanks! :)~

Report Abuse Joz - December 30, 2013 5:34 am
and theres are a few posts missing since i was here last, hahahaha
how precious,... musta wore his finger out!!

Report Abuse Joz - December 30, 2013 5:17 am
no problemo smacks, happy to help!
yes i do agree, if one is going to be childish and try to insult someone (behind a keyboard, woo hoo.. very brave) one oughtta get all spelling correct, only makes one look foolish.

Report Abuse smacks - December 28, 2013 11:43 am
The DA needs to be looked at closely by a higher authority. Attempt murder charge for shooting someone in the foot?

Dismissed!!!

Report Abuse Smee - December 27, 2013 9:33 pm
Dont mess with the Amigos

Report Abuse Pearl Turner - December 26, 2013 9:09 pm
We should lock all these guys up in a locked room with assorted loaded firearms and promise them that the last one standing will be allowed to leave.

Report Abuse huntnv - December 26, 2013 6:12 pm
Maybe this would not have happened if our sheriff department patrolled put there and kept some of the crazies out there in check. I am sure that worse will happen if there is not some form of law enforcement put back into that community

tellomon:

DA files battery with gun charge against Montello shooter
January 02, 2014 6:00 pm  •  By Dylan Woolf Harris

ELKO — A Montello man arrested last month for attempted murder faces a lesser battery charge.

Ronald L. Culley, AKA "Ron Tello", 55, was arrested Dec. 20 after he allegedly fired a bullet into Lester J. Alderman’s foot outside a bar in Montello.

Culley was booked into Elko County Jail for attempted murder and discharging a gun where a person might be endangered.

The district attorney’s office, however, filed a single charge of battery with the use of a deadly weapon — which is a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

If the wound caused substantial bodily harm to Alderman, the potential punishment could be upped by five more years, which the prosecution noted it reserved the right to do.

The DA’s office hadn’t had a chance to talk to the victim, who received treatment in Salt Lake City, according to the charging document.

Alderman confronted Culley on the main road in Montello, denying a claim by Culley that he stole the man’s property, according to a deputy’s report. The report didn’t specify what possessions were in dispute.

Culley pulled out a handgun and fired three rounds. The final shot hit Alderman in the foot, according to the sheriff’s office.

Deputies were called, and Culley was arrested at his home without incident.

Investigators obtained a search warrant and found the five-round revolver at Culley’s home with only two bullets in the cylinder.

A preliminary hearing has yet to be scheduled, according to justice court.

As of Thursday, Culley’s bail remained at $100,000.

Report Abuse CountessA - January 19, 2014 6:40 pm
Our office will be keeping an eye on the progress of this case.
It's to be hoped Ron Culley's bail will be reduced.
It would also be good to know that something positive could come out of this. Perhaps those responsible for law enforcement in the area can find future ways of responding to thefts which will not leave the community feeling helpless and unsupported.
Strong community-focused policing seems called for.

Report Abuse Smee - January 07, 2014 4:07 am
He should have shot him in the groin , then he would only have been charged with shooting him in the 2 inches instead of shooting him in the foot

Report Abuse CountessA - January 02, 2014 7:57 pm
This appears to be a more appropriate charge than Attempted Murder. It would require Mr Culley to be possibly the worst shot in history if it took him three shots even to find Mr Alderman's foot.
At present, the bail amount remains over-high in respect of the charge filed.
This office hopes that Mr Alderman continues to recover well.
Perhaps the appropriate authorities may be considering what role their alleged inaction in respect to the theft may have placed in exacerbating the situation.

tellomon:
Montello shooting case
Montello shooter continues on to trial in district court

Alleged shooter Ronald Culley listens as victim Lester Alderman testifies Thursday in Elko Justice Court during a preliminary hearing.

2014-01-24T06:00:00Z Montello shooter continues on to trial in district court Elko Daily Free Press
January 24, 2014 6:00 am  •  By Dylan Woolf Harris

Seconds later, he said, Ronald Culley shot him in the ankle outside the Cowboy Bar in Montello.

In relation to the shooting, Culley is charged with battery with the use of a deadly weapon, or, alternatively, battery with a deadly weapon resulting in substantial bodily harm. At the conclusion of a preliminary hearing Thursday, Justice of the Peace Mason Simons bound over Culley to district court on both counts.

Alderman, Deputy District Attorney Tyler Ingram’s primary witness — who entered the courtroom on crutches — testified that on Dec. 20 Culley accused the victim of stealing a pair of coveralls, which escalated to a confrontation outside the bar and ended with the victim suffering a gunshot wound through his ankle and foot. The spent bullet was found inside his boot, according to Alderman.

The victim said his relationship with Culley was bad from the beginning.

In October, Alderman said, a mutual friend helped arrange an email correspondence between himself and Culley, whom he hadn’t met before. Alderman, living at the time in Salt Lake City and in need of work, agreed to move to Montello and do a few odd jobs around Culley’s house. In exchange, Alderman said, he was to receive room and board plus $100 after the jobs were complete.

Alderman said he did electrical work, hung sheetrock, installed a window, cut wood and other general work — all without pay.

“I never did complete the job because every time I turned around he was changing his mind,” he said.

In addition, Alderman said Culley didn’t uphold his end of the bargain because he didn’t provide enough food. Alderman said he had to supplement his meals with food from the food bank. And on at least one occasion, Alderman gave food to Culley, the victim testified.

During his stay, Alderman said, Culley began accusing him of stealing stuff, namely a bottle of tequila, a bottle of Jägermeister and food.

The victim continued living with Culley, however, doing small jobs, until a law enforcement officer arrived one day — sometime after Thanksgiving — and arrested Alderman. He had a failure-to-appear warrant out of West Wendover related to a 2004 DUI charge, he said. When Alderman returned to Montello from his stint in jail, Culley had removed the latch on the door to the trailer he was living in.

At that moment, Alderman said, he decided he was done living on Culley’s property, and so he moved in with and worked for a Montello resident Alderman only knew as “Russ.” Later Alderman moved in with another man from Montello.

On Dec. 20 — Alderman’s 58th birthday — he went to the Cowboy Bar with Russ and drank a couple of draft beers and a shot of alcohol. Culley came and sat at the bar near the two men and asked about coveralls Alderman had been using, which belonged to the defendant. Alderman said he told Culley they were at Russ’ house and he would return them the next day.

Later that evening, Culley began to leave the bar, and he motioned with his head that he wanted to talk to Alderman outside, the victim told the court.

Vexed, Alderman met Culley outside the bar, ready to put an end to Culley’s accusations either by talking through them and reconciling as friends or fighting “mano-a-mano,” he said. The victim said he knew Culley packed a gun around with him. He asked Culley to stow the gun in the defendant’s home next door to the bar, so it wouldn’t be used if the confrontation led to a physical fight.

“I said, ‘Go check your gun,’” Alderman told the court.

Alderman said Culley fired the first shot and said, “I checked my gun.” The victim saw a bullet hit the ground near his foot. He described himself as shocked and dumbfounded. Then two more shots were fired from Culley’s .38-caliber revolver, with the final bullet hitting his foot, he said. Alderman made his way back into the bar where he received some help bandaging up his wound and someone called 9-1-1, he said.

Sheriff’s deputies arrived about 40 minutes later and found Culley at his home. He surrendered without incident and was booked into jail.

In the defense’s closing statements, no denial was made that Culley shot Alderman.

Defense attorney Gary Woodbury said under Nevada law Culley was in the right to use deadly force against Alderman. In an interview recorded by sheriff’s detective Billy Hood, Culley said he was walking home that night when Alderman followed him outside and berated him. Culley emphatically claimed he was only trying to defend himself against Alderman’s aggression.

“I told him, ‘Get back, Lester. Get away from me,’ but he wouldn’t do it. He just kept coming after me. So I pulled the gun out and I fired one, two. But he wouldn’t back off,” Culley said on tape. “… It was self-defense.”

The first two shots were clearly warnings, Woodbury argued, but because Alderman didn’t back away or leave, Culley had no choice. (Alderman testified he was in the process of turning around when the final shot was fired.)

“From my point of view, no rational jury will ever convict him of this crime,” Woodbury said.

Montello resident Leena Carroll, who was called as a state witness, testified to hearing three gunshots on Dec. 20 from the back yard of her home, down the road from the Cowboy Bar. She said the first two shots happened in rapid fire, then a short pause, then the third shot rang out. (Alderman said the first shot was followed by a 10-second pause, then the last two shots were made in rapid fire.)

“I heard him say, ‘I got it,’” Carroll said. Although she couldn’t see the shooter very well because of darkness, she said the voice and mannerisms matched Culley’s.

Simons ruled that the state’s evidence met the “slight or marginal” standard required to bind over a defendant to trial, but emphasized the word “slight.”

Woodbury also argued for a motion to reduce bail or release Culley on his own recognizance on condition that Culley stay in Elko, abstain from alcohol and surrender additional firearms. Originally, Culley was arrested for attempted murder and held on $100,000 bail. The D.A.’s office never filed an attempted murder charge, but Culley’s bail remained at $100,000.

The prosecution argued against lowering Culley’s bail Thursday, on account of the welfare and safety of the people of Montello.

Ingram read seemingly angry selections from a stack of papers that he said were pulled from an online “blog or chatroom” allegedly written by Culley, in which the defendant referenced making the news by striking back at his enemies with firearms, including a sentence about shooting someone in the foot.

“‘I yearn for the day when I can go to the signs at each end of town and replace the M’s with an R, and replace the ‘Population of 300 plus 1’ with a ‘1’’” Ingram read.

Culley is known around Montello as “Ron Tello.” Ingram interpreted Culley’s online remarks as a wish to wipe out everyone in town, leaving only himself.

Woodbury conceded Culley’s writings were odd, but he argued they shouldn’t be taken seriously.

“This nonsensical talk … is this defendant in a nutshell,” Woodbury said to the judge. “You’ve sat here all day and listened to him and he just yaps. But there is no threat to it at all.”

Simons sided with Ingram and ordered Culley’s bail to remain the same.

Woodbury, sitting closest to Culley throughout the hearing, was the recipient of most of the defendant’s “yaps.”

At one point in the prosecution’s direct examination of the victim, Woodbury — whom Culley simply referred to as “counselor” — asked the judge for a moment, during which he told his client to stop whispering at him so he could hear the witness’ testimony.

Even after Woodbury reprimanded him for talking, Culley maintained a noticeable presence in the courtroom with nonverbal gestures and facial expressions. Culley frequently looked back at the few people sitting in the courtroom gallery and cocked an eyebrow, smiled, or furrowed his forehead. The defendant fidgeted throughout the trial, at times craned his neck to see evidence, and made exaggerated head nods in agreement or wild head shakes in rebuff, depending on that moment’s testimony.

Before the hearing began and during breaks, Culley bantered with anyone in earshot. At various points he told a lawyer joke, tried to bum a cigarette, claimed the Beatles were merely John Lennon’s first back-up band, and made sure the Free Press knew not only his “Ron Tello” moniker but also its proper spelling.

Copyright 2014 Elko Daily Free Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Tags Ronald Culley, Ron Tello, Lester Alderman, Montello, Cowboy Bar, Shooting, Self-defense, Battery With A Deadly Weapon, Elko Justice Court

Report Abuse Ken - January 24, 2014 5:38 pm
Oh come on now don't give them that much credit. It would be a good thing if they were from the 1800. These guys are just plain whacked out. There are some wired ones in Montello

Report Abuse veritas aequitas - January 24, 2014 4:51 pm
Are these guys time travelers from the 1800's?

tellomon:
Competency of Montello defendant still unclear in foot-shooting case
Ronald Culley looks at his attorney Gary Woodbury Monday during a status hearing before District Judge Nancy Porter at the Elko County Jail.
2014-07-01T06:00:00Z Competency of Montello defendant still unclear in foot-shooting case Elko Daily Free Press
July 01, 2014 6:00 am  •  By Dylan Woolf Harris

ELKO — A criminal case against an alleged Montello shooter whose competency was called into question continues to stall.

Ron Culley, 56, was booked into jail shortly after a non-fatal shooting that occurred in December on the streets of Montello, but the defendant has yet to be arraigned.

Twice since being bound over to district court, Culley — who is known by the nickname “Ron Tello” — was scheduled for an arraignment hearing but both times it was postponed.

During a brief appearance Monday, District Judge Nancy Porter asked about the status of Culley’s case.

Defense attorney Gary Woodbury told the court he wanted to wait until he knew whether his client was competent before proceeding.

Issues surrounding the defendant’s competency have caused significant delays in the case. Months ago, Culley was sent to Lake’s Crossing Center in Sparks to undergo an evaluation. Although that evaluation was completed and the defendant returned to Elko, a doctor neglected to sign the report before leaving on vacation, according to Woodbury.

Based on the fact that Culley was not prescribed medication, Woodbury anticipated the report would indicate his client was competent to stand trial, but he wanted to be certain before filing additional motions or entering a plea.

“As quickly as we get that report, we’ll make a decision, Mr. Culley and I, whether we want to contest it or not contest it,” Woodbury said.

Leading up to his evaluation, Culley wanted to fire his court-appointed attorney because the process was taking too long, according to comments made during a status hearing in May. Woodbury said Monday, however, that Culley had changed his mind.

Culley also indicated Monday he wanted to file a motion requesting a bail reduction. Culley’s bail is set at $100,000. Woodbury said he also wanted to wait to file that motion until he received the medical report.

On Dec. 20, Culley and Montello resident Lester Alderman got in an argument after drinking at a bar.

The victim, who moved from Utah, said he had been hired months prior to complete home-repair jobs for Culley and was allowed to live in a trailer on Culley’s property, according to testimony given at a Jan. 23 preliminary hearing.

The relationship deteriorated, Alderman told the court, because Culley didn’t uphold his end of the bargain and continually accused the victim of stealing his food and drink. Alderman eventually moved into another Montello resident’s house, but Culley continued his hostility, Alderman said.

After the argument at the bar, Alderman confronted Culley outside where he was fired at twice, testimony revealed, before a third bullet hit his foot.

Woodbury argued Culley shot two warning shots but when Alderman kept approaching him, he fired at the victim’s foot in self-defense.

Alderman said he was turning away from Culley when the bullet struck his foot.

Culley is charged with battery using a deadly weapon, or alternatively, battery with a deadly weapon resulting in substantial bodily harm.

TagsLaw_crime, Ron Culley, Shooting, Gun Violence, Self Defense, Montello, Ron Tello, Competency Hearing

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version