Author Topic: Australia Post postage calculator update  (Read 14395 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Australia Post postage calculator update
« on: September 17, 2011, 12:14:24 AM »
I see the AP website has been mucked up updated recently.

I have to admit I was a little cross today when I tried to work out the cost of a parcel from here to SA, and found that the updated page of the postage calculator was not working correctly.

The postage calculator for interstate parcels is here: http://auspost.com.au/apps/domestic-parcel.html. Now, try it out, selecting "Satchels and other items", and then entering in ANY WEIGHT AT ALL.

Report back and gnash your teeth.

(I sent a somewhat annoyed email to AP suggesting they spend a little more time on beta testing before rolling out a cosmetic change and in so doing wrecking the actual function.)
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Australia Post postage calculator update
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 12:19:24 AM »

They must have employed an ex Ebay employee to improve ? the system....

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 12:24:57 AM »
It took me 2 extra clicks to get to the calculation page (than before) - but it worked for me.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 12:44:29 AM »
Brumby, are you saying that when you select "Satchels and other items", and enter a weight into the appropriate field, and then try to continue, you are NOT asked for dimensions?

"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 01:54:43 PM »
It now works for "satchels and other items" under 250 g.

It still won't work for "satchels and other items" under 500g.

It now works for "satchels and other items" between 500 g & 1 kg.

It still doesn't work for "satchels and other items" over 1 kg.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 07:07:18 PM »
I just tried all the weight ranges up to 5kg for "Satchels and other items" ... and no dimensions were sought.  (under Chrome, anyway)

Mind you, I'm rather unimpressed with all the fancy scrolling and fading.  What a waste of CPU cycles - totally unnecessary and slows down the appearance of the data you're after.

Makes me want to explore the API!!!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 07:39:07 PM »
I've tested it now on Internet Explorer, where it works correctly (albeit very, very sluggishly).

It still won't work properly on the latest Firefox.

Poor coding.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 10:55:39 PM »
I've received a reply from Australia Post.

Dear [Countessa],

Thank you for your enquiry submitted via our website and we apologise for the delayed response. We are currently receiving a higher than normal volume of email inquiries.

We have had complaints regarding this same issue from a few customers now. We have forwarded these issues onto our Online Support team, and they are looking into the matter. It is an unusual matter, as the link is working on our end, but not for some customers.

On behalf of Australia Post, please accept my apology for any inconvenience this matter may have caused you.

Yours sincerely,

Sarah T | Digital & Contact Centres - eServices | Australia Post
Online Services Consultant

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 05:24:08 AM »
I'd ask for a 'bare bones' calculator - just the facts, ma'am!

All the sliding and fading is a waste of time - seriously.

They may think it's 'pretty' and 'sexy' - but it just slows down the process for no other reason than aesthetics.

Now where is that API...?

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 04:36:17 PM »
Countessa, since the Aus Post site update on last Friday I've been using the eBay Postage Centre to calculate shipping costs. It still links to the old Aus Post calculator pages.

http://postage.ebay.com.au/Postage_Centre

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 06:49:23 PM »
Wheels, thank you for that link!

It's been so frustrating trying to cope with AP's "pretty but useless" improvement change.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 11:37:31 PM »
I'm pinning this thread, as AP have still not fixed the calculator... and the only way I can access a working postage calculator is to use the link Wheels gave in this thread.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 09:44:24 PM »
I am now unpinning this thread, as the situation has since been resolved...

It's been long enough and this topic has a great big pin mark in it!