Author Topic: ebay.com latest Seller Changes  (Read 11905 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
ebay.com latest Seller Changes
« on: July 28, 2009, 06:32:55 PM »
The latest Seller Update has been announced on ebay.com
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200907270812462.html
http://pages.ebay.com/sell/July2009Update/Overview/

Scot Wingo's eBay Blog
http://ebaystrategies.blogs.com/ebay_strategies/2009/07/major-ebay-changes-announced-today-72709.html
http://ebaystrategies.blogs.com/

There are also links to more articles assessing the changes in bnwt's thread
http://www.ozroundtable.com/index.php?topic=317.280

With the changes to 'Best Match' search and introducing the 'Top Rated Seller' designations, eBay needs to better educate buyers on the DSR stars.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Re: ebay.com latest Seller Changes
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 09:40:05 AM »
As I mentioned earlier I had my reservations about Best Match ...... my fears have been confirmed

up until the 15th of July around 10% of my traffic came from the US ebay site and I usually did 2 or 3 sales a week to the USA

from that date my traffic from ebay US has stopped .......... simply dried up over night and needless to say I am not doing any US sales

why ???

now part of the Best Match search criteria is 'proximity'

considering I'm quite a way from California or New York my listings are now always located 5 or more pages back into the search

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggh

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 11:19:13 AM »
It's all crap!
Checkout the ebay US boards about it.

There's a lotta Hair on Fire there!
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 07:29:23 PM »

today I wrote to Deborah Sharkey about my concerns

Deborah

I am writing to ask when I can expect a 10% reduction in my monthly fees?

By all standards I would be considered an eBay top-rated seller, with 100% feedback, high DSR’s and glowing feedback remarks yet it would seem even that is not good enough to raise my items much higher then page 5 on the search.

Prior to July 15th when checking my eBay store traffic I would see at least 10% of my daily traffic was coming from ebay.com then suddenly it just stopped, completely dropped off to nothing. As did my sales to the US and all overseas destinations for that matter.  As I could think of no logical reason for this I phoned the Powersellers help line where it was explained to me that one of the new search criteria is ‘proximity’ and while I might have high DSR’s & feedback etc the fact I am a long way from the USA will always put my items well down in the eBay Best Match search - which is now the default search.

With this being the case I think it only fair that my monthly fees be adjusted to ‘best match’ my decline in traffic and sales.

Over the years I have seen many ill conceived notions on eBay that get amended or reversed, surely this one is due to be reconsidered.

Then just to confound me, this morning I get an email offering me a 50% FVF reduction if I sell on ebay.uk - eBay stop my items being seen in the US while at the same time encouraging me to sell in the UK ........ sheer insanity !

I look forward to your reply and advice that my fees have been reduced by 10% from July 15th 2009.

Regards

care to wager on what she will say in her reply ??

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 07:57:29 PM »
You've got Buckleys on even getting a reply BNWT! :evil:

But let us know if you get a cut and paste answer though...that may be a possible..lol

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 12:52:12 AM »
Listings of Mass Reduction, hmm?

BNWT, I admire your chutzpah. It won't happen, of course... but you knew that.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Poddy

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 03:32:51 AM »
bnwt,

To quote a very well known powerseller of bullet holed  kids T shirts, your letter will be like "Skin off a duck's back"

But I admire your style  ;D

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 07:48:59 AM »
yes

I realise the probability of getting a 10% reduction in my fees is unlikely

that's not the point of me writing

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 08:17:02 AM »
*nod* Let us know when the next bit of deafening silence comes from Ms Starkey.

BNWT, were you not involved in a case where PayPal found against you with regard to the sale of a wallet, and you made a claim through the Ombudsman? Do I remember correctly?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 09:53:41 AM »
I have in fact had two cases involving paypal with the ombudsman

one were a wallet was returned (from the USA) quite damaged ... the damage was internal and been done by human hands, the parcel arrived at the buyers address unopened so I can only assume the damage was done while in the buyers possession ....... the buyer wanted compensation - used negative feedback to blackmail me .... the buyer was probably the worst customer I have ever dealt with in my 25 odd years in retail - psycho from hell is an understatement

the second was when I sent a wallet to Texas, sent on the 19th of December - 6 days before xmas .......... the buyer started an 'item not received' dispute 3 days after it was sent - I send all my buyers an email advising their parcel has gone in the mail on the day it is sent

of course paypal refunded the buyer in both disputes

after the ombudsman became involved paypal graciously gave me back the money for both disputes

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 10:39:27 AM »
Would it be possible for you to post the outline of the steps you took, to help sellers who have also been disadvantaged by a situation like that? I have a particular person in mind, but also this is an issue that has a lot of sellers apparently tossing it in the "too much trouble" basket. I'd very much like to see sellers realise it is not difficult or incredibly time-consuming.

Separate thread for that, perhaps? If you have the time (and if you still have a copy of the post you made in the eBay AU RT at the time)?

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 01:29:33 PM »
care to wager on what she will say in her reply ??

I'm game!

"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 03:51:12 PM »
Announcement on ebay.com.au
04 August 2009 | 03:50PM EST

***Online Workshop: Understanding Best Match***     

Come along this Wednesday evening to chat with the eBay team about the recently announced changes to search.

If you have any questions about how these changes may impact you, why these changes have been introduced or what you need to do to get ready, come along and speak with us.

Topic: Understanding Best Match
When: Wednesday 5 August 7pm
Where: Workshop Discussion Board

*Please note no personal account queries will be addressed during these workshops.

What is an online workshop?
Workshops are essentially online discussions between eBay members and eBay staff held in real time. They are fast, fun, informative and a great way to learn.

We hope to see you there!

Regards,
The eBay Team

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/au/200908041545042.html