Author Topic: When is it valid to NEG a Seller when the buyer hasn't paid?  (Read 7488 times)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
When is it valid to NEG a Seller when the buyer hasn't paid?
« on: February 22, 2012, 01:03:36 AM »
I have.

Yes, I admit it - I have left a Neg for a seller without having paid..... but there is a reason.

Despite several requests, they never gave me a total amount to pay, so that made it hard.  Then again, I found out they didn't actually have the item on hand when it was sold - nor for the following 6 plus weeks I waited.

Was I unfair?  If so, what should I have done?

Has anyone else had any similar situations?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: When is it valid to NEG a Seller when the buyer hasn't paid?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 01:30:33 AM »
I've not had that experience, Brumby, but I would also have given a negative - with some sadness.

Seller doesn't have the item; bad.
   Seller STILL doesn't have the item; bad.
   Seller didn't give the necessary payment information; bad.
   Situation has been dragging on for six weeks; bad.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:39:44 AM »
Brums, I know there are serious problems with the eBay communication systems and often messages are lost between buyers and sellers but 6 weeks is far too long to wait. The seller should have contacted you immediately they knew the item was not in stock and given you the option to wait for the stock, accept an alternative item or cancelled the sale.

If the seller has not communicated at all then I would have left a neg too.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 11:36:34 AM »
There was some communication from the seller, but to say it was minimal would be generous. 

They did mention cancelling the sale, but I responded by saying I was still keen to get the item and was prepared to wait while they sorted things out with their supplier.  They did not respond to that message, nor to another one or two that made it quite clear I was waiting.  I was prepared to wait because I was not in any hurry, the product does not appear very often and the price I had secured was a good one.

No 'Mutual Cancellation' request was sent, either.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 11:52:11 AM »
It always amazes me the number of eBay sellers who have no sales skills. And they are often the ones complaining about eBay rules or getting what they consider are unwarranted negs. I know there are always going to be some customers that will never be happy with whatever the seller does but in most cases the seller should be able to turn around difficult transactions.

Last year one of the boys purchased a new battery for his Apple laptop from an Australian website. They immediately notified him that the battery was not in stock and he said he was happy to wait. As time dragged on and they still couldn't get it in stock they sent him a partial refund to thank him for waiting. Eventually they had to give up and refunded him in full as they were unable to source the battery at all. Even though he never received his order he wouldn't hesitate to buy from their site again.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 01:00:18 PM »
Those who are successfully operating their own websites will have earned their custom - and your example shows one reason why.  Those merchants must find their own traffic and make their own conversions ... and while this means they have to work a bit harder and smarter than someone on eBay, it also means they are isolated from being tainted under the banner of being 'an eBay seller'.

Setting up shop on eBay is relatively easy - perhaps too easy.  Sellers can immediately tap into a significant stream of traffic without having a lot of skills, including some very basic ones such as fundamental communication or even just having stock on hand.