Author Topic: There continues to be bad and misleading advice on ebay forums  (Read 16065 times)

col52

It concerns me that many have been told bad advice by the first respondant on those forums!

http://forums.ebay.com.au/topic/Ask-A-Member/Address-For-Ebay/500109758&#msg603999627

Numb!

Re: There continues to be bad and misleading advice on ebay forums
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 02:36:44 PM »
As long as it's a member to member Q&A system, that will always be the case.  The person asking the Q must be aware that they have to weed through the As and cull the more rational responses.

night-hawk-1

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 02:43:02 PM »
Unfortunatly most people will accept what suits them and disregard what is fact.

so can you guess which reply they will accept as it is what they want to hear.

col52

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 02:45:49 PM »
I understand that, Numb, but that particular ID should know better to check up on the rules first.

I fear you're right, hawk.

I've just seen so many times in this new format, the same person offering wrong advice.

Numb!

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 02:56:48 PM »
I've just seen so many times in this new format, the same person offering wrong advice.

That's part of what eBay brought on itself and the membership with the new boards.  The seasoned responders stopped using the boards.  I used to have 5 or 6 different U.S. boards open at all times under the old format.  I don't even use the U.S. boards now except for one chat thread once in a while.

I also used to respond on the Canada boards, but no longer do.

col52

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 05:02:05 PM »
It's pitiful to see "run & tells" who cannot post valuable information!

This was posted on said forum thread:

"It concerns me that many have been told bad advice by the first respondant on those forums!"

a person wrote that comment elsewhere, about this Thread.
if that person thinks so, perhaps that person should just dispute it, here, where the OP of the Thread can benefit from their "profound" experience , rather than rant on it about elsewhere.

night-hawk-1

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 05:17:43 PM »
post 8 on that thread is a waste of space and oh so helpful.

Primaryaim

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 05:18:24 PM »
Well, if we look who has been online here today it will narrow down the field of who the disruptive poster is :)

night-hawk-1

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 05:26:47 PM »
Well, if we look who has been online here today it will narrow down the field of who the disruptive poster is :)

Not really as you dont need to be logged in or even a member to read this section.

frangi

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 12:01:24 PM »
No worries  :)  It's all positive

Good they can read this section.  Good that they are reading it.  And good that they're taking it across to EB, too !

That way, the offenders will lift their game, knowing they're being watched-over by the genuinely concerned (OZ RT-ers, take a pat on the back right here, right now  :) )

Ebayers generally can only benefit from the situation .. and that's good !

llama

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 01:30:44 PM »
Totally misleading info in that thread.

The item should be posted to the address on the "Payment Received" email. That address is set BY THE BUYER when they pass through Ebay checkout.

When buying from Ebay and using Ebay Checkout, the "Paypal Address" is NOT USED

The buyer may set up to 8 (I think) different delivery addresses inside Ebay Preferences, and choose between them during Checkout. On one of my own accounts I have 5 different addresses set (Home, Work, 3 x family members).

So, it is really silly to post out to any address that is not confirmed by the Buyer within the Payment advice.

matildasplace

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 02:02:25 PM »
Llama, so have I been doing it wrong all this time?

I always use the address which come up on the invoice after the buyer has checked out.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 02:03:17 PM »
Please alert me when this mystery has been solved.

Extra load of sarcasm involved here....

Trust me now..I show you how:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=898sarahg&ftab=AllFeedback

(Maybe I'm out of line? Can't be so crooked...)
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

Numb!

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 02:29:43 PM »
I believe this is one of those questions that has multiple correct answers that vary based on the circumstances.  The PayPal answer is to use the PayPal address.  One must always remember that PayPal rules are designed to protect PayPal.  They have no interest in either the buyer or the seller, only PayPal.

The customer service answer is to work with the buyer so that both buyer and seller are satisfied.

matildasplace

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 07:53:46 AM »
So in short, I need to log in to paypal every day and cross check each and ever address and if there is any difference I MUST send to the address listed within paypal?

What a PITB, that will add a fair bit of extra time to our postage.

regulus*

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 11:11:03 AM »
Doesn't the address come up on the paypal receipt that the seller receives?

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 01:48:34 PM »
So in short, I need to log in to paypal every day and cross check each and ever address and if there is any difference I MUST send to the address listed within paypal?

What a PITB, that will add a fair bit of extra time to our postage.

No Tilly, you shouldn't need to go that far, you should be getting an email from Paypal that states the buyer's address on it, when they pay.

IF there is a discrepancy between the two addresses, contact the buyer and ask them which address they want the item sent to. If it is the ebay supplied one, ask them to please add that address to paypal ( easy to do) so you are both covered by paypal's policy!

matildasplace

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 04:12:09 PM »
Bella, we do receive the email from paypal when the payment has been made but we receive over 100 emails a day so it would take ages sorting through them all to find the details, I think it would be fasted just logging in to paypal and cross checking.

Really bugs me that ebay don't convert the invoice to the correct address, would make our life much easier. I really pity large volume sellers who have to do this, its so much easier/faster doing everything from selling manager.

I think I have been very, very lucky that we haven't had any problems with this as I have never checked the paypal address.

Numb!

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 04:33:39 PM »
Really bugs me that ebay don't convert the invoice to the correct address,

Again, the 'correct address' may vary in each case.  Part of good customer service is to work with the customer.  PayPal's policies may not be to anyone's advantage except PayPal.  As a seller, you have to assess risk in each case and decide if you can ship to whatever address the buyer provides of if you will force them to use the address they have on file with PayPal.

Also note that buyers can have several addresses with PayPal and that they can choose which one to include for each transaction, so if you have multiple sales to the same buyer, they may all go to different addresses.

Jules

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 06:18:46 PM »
To apply the kiss principle is the only fair option I can see here. The paypal and eBay address need to be identical so that any invoice sent by eBay reflects info held by paypal. The onus of forwarding purchases on should fall on the buyer for the sake of eveyones protection and sanity unless demonstrably agreed to otherwise. What a hassle. I think the benefits need to be weighed against the potential for the system to be scammed, and the more complex things become, the more loopholes are created and the scammers prevail.

Jules

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 08:31:12 AM »
Oh sorry;
 Im Jules and I trade a bit on eBay and Oz. I think conceiving and setting this site up was a great achievement. Good on you all for recognising the need and acting on it.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
    • It Ain't Always My Life!
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 08:40:40 AM »
To apply the kiss principle is the only fair option I can see here. The paypal and eBay address need to be identical so that any invoice sent by eBay reflects info held by paypal. The onus of forwarding purchases on should fall on the buyer for the sake of eveyones protection and sanity unless demonstrably agreed to otherwise. What a hassle. I think the benefits need to be weighed against the potential for the system to be scammed, and the more complex things become, the more loopholes are created and the scammers prevail.

I have four addresses attached to my paypal account
1. - personal address for small items
2. - My parents address for things that they ask I buy
3. - My work address for things to be signed for
4. - Friends addresses for when I am not at work

So how can I have only 1 address attached to my paypal account?

DOesn't work for me - I don't particularly like paypal BUT for overseas transactions it serves a purpose - backed with a credit card makes it a little safer.

1 address for all is not practical :(
"I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years"

http://www.marysvillecookbook.com/ $7,800 **Raised as at 22nd March 2013**
Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

exislegirl

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 10:12:53 AM »
The KISS principle needs to be applied to your private email inbox.
Just make a folder called PayPal, and then 2 subfolders within that, ie:

PayPal:

Bought
Sold

As the notifications are received, file them where appropriate.
When it is time to pack and post sold items, just refer to the 'Sold' subfolder for the correct address for each parcel.

When an item is paid for with PayPal, it is the duty of the seller to send to the address noted on the notification of payment to cover themselves and serve the customer.
Many buyers wouldn't make purchases, if the item had to be sent to their address before then being sent on to the person for whom the item was purchased.
That would make the item too expensive, and is the reason PayPal allows 'gift' addresses.

The change of address is a simple step within eBay checkout, and is then reflected on the PayPal payment notification. 
However, when I use a 'gift' address - I always send a follow up message to the seller, advising them to make note of the changed of address.

Jules

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 03:30:28 PM »
OK: fine.
So the rule of thumb is if paid by paypal use paypal details only.
Use eBays official notification details and at best cause probs for the buyer and at worst risk a possible INR dispute if the paypal details are different. It would be nice if eBay could get the details right though. I see this situation as a possible pitfall for less regular/knowledgable sellers encountering a unscrupulous buyer.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 12:18:27 PM »
 :help:  Sometimes there is more than helpful advice on the Help Boards!

http://forums.ebay.com.au/topic/Ask-A-Member/Penalising-Quotnon-Buyersquot/500110049