Author Topic: User contact details requests and realeased to non registered users  (Read 5982 times)

That Varieties Gal

• Knight of the RT
I have just had a notification from e-bay that they released my contact information to a person who is listed as 'not a registered user'. They have an e-bay profile but are not registered
.Does anyone know how come e-bay will give out this information - i.e. my name, address and phone number to a non-registered user?
Is that 'legal' for want of a better word?
Robbie

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Did eBay say they were 'not a registered user' - or did you check up and find that out yourself?

I'm suspecting the latter, as if they are NARU, they shouldn't be able to log in to make such requests.

I checked with my seller friend and they said that the request for details could have been made while they were registered and then was made NARU afterwards.  The delays that can be experienced in eBay messages getting through explaining the time difference.

Was this a user that you had a previous transaction with - or had bid on an item of yours?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Quoting from eBay's site (http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/tp/questions/member-phone.html):
Note: Sellers can only get the contact information of a bidder or buyer of one of their listings. Buyers can only obtain the contact information of a seller if they are a bidder or buyer on one of the seller's items.

From eBay's Privacy Policy (http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/privacy-policy.html):
Your Use of Other Users' Information

In order to facilitate interaction among all eBay community members, our service allows you limited access other users' contact information. As a seller you have access to the User ID, email address and other contact information of the buyer or winning bidder(s), and as a buyer or winning bidder you have access to the User ID, email address and other contact information of the seller.

The situation you've described could only occur, V-girl, if the unregistered user was recently deregistered, and before being deregistered was a trading partner of yours (your buyer, or your seller), and became deregistered after receiving the contact information, as Brumby said.

"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Were they a shill bidder?

What's the bet that you get a private email in the next few days offering a second chance..lol

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Get out!

"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

That Varieties Gal

• Knight of the RT
Thanks guys
1. This bloke did win an item about couple of months ago - didn't pay and when we finally did the unpaid item process he was no longer a registered user and e-bay, immediately refunded the FVF for the item as the buyer was NARU - (FVF refunded but, of course not the listing fee)
We then checked his profile at that time and he was NARU and remains the same
2. So yes, he was a winning bidder around March/April but never paid or communicated and must have been NARU soon after purchasing the 'buy-it-now' item
3. The details request was only made today

Thanks for the advice  
Just wondered how a NARU members can make this request - basically that means anyone can
Same as, we thought that e-bay would notify a seller if the buyer was NARU as well

eBay Customer Support - rswebhelp this is the e-mail address  rswebhelp@ebay.com

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Ahhh..so it was a buyer!

Most likely...they are trying to get in touch with you to take off the unpaid item report...and if they have enough sellers do this...they get to deal on Ebay again.

be prepeared to hear about deaths in the family, kids bidding on items...and a whole lot of sob stories.

It's up to you to decide if you believe them or not.

That Varieties Gal

• Knight of the RT
ta roo
much appreciated
i'll have the  :tissue: at the ready

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Forget the tissues...you may need one of these...

:bigcalibre:

That Varieties Gal

• Knight of the RT
 :rofl:

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Forget the tissues...you may need one of these...

:bigcalibre:

That's my girl!  :rose:
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"