Author Topic: Fake PayPal and eBay accounts - how possible are they?  (Read 6351 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Fake PayPal and eBay accounts - how possible are they?
« on: December 31, 2010, 12:03:39 PM »
I quote from an article BNWT posted in the media thread:
The spreadsheet listed more than 50 eBay and PayPal accounts, all with different names. Bi told investigators he used other people's information on the accounts because eBay and PayPal had suspended his accounts and do not allow a new account with the same name and address as a suspended account.

Source - http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/12/30/nationwide-employee-sentenced-to-212-years.html?sid=101

The story concerns a Nationwide Insurance employee who sold counterfeit games on eBay for half the price of the recommended retail price. (He also sold downloads of the games from a server he'd leased.)

He had been banned from eBay at some point - probably because one of his customers discovered the game was a counterfeit.

He was not a master criminal with a sophisticated gang. He didn't have incredibly detailed and unique criminal skills. He was an ordinary guy (basically "good") whose downfall was greed - so the judge ruled.

Yet he had the necessary skills to create more than 50 - more than 50 - eBay and PayPal accounts.

This is why so many of us have been insistent about how necessary it is to do proper identification checks on eBay and PayPal accounts. It is ludicrous how simple it is to create a fake account. I have heard some arguments about its not being possible except by sophisticated criminals... about its being as easy to create a fake bank account as a fake PayPal account... Sorry. That is not true. It is not as easy, because banks are actually under obligation to check identity and have a process in place requiring certain forms of identification to be provided when you open an account at a new bank.

eBay's identification checking is... well, let's not pretend there is anything approaching a decent identification check.

PayPal's identification checking is a bit better, but not enough to stop the averagely savvy fraudster from being able to create fake PayPal account after fake PayPal account after fake PayPal account - with ease.

Please post your thoughts here - and feel free to disagree.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Re: Fake PayPal and eBay accounts - how possible are they?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 12:53:37 PM »
I hate eBay.

Join my Cause.

*snipe*
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 12:51:01 PM »
He was not a master criminal with a sophisticated gang. He didn't have incredibly detailed and unique criminal skills. He was an ordinary guy (basically "good") whose downfall was greed - so the judge ruled..........

Ebay and Pay$pal have always valued "numbers" of users over over real users.And people do change email address and lose paswords and acoount names. On the ebay forum the old round table a user who claimed some 500 IDs and no one questioned it. As hundreds of those IDs seen during discussions and events.

PAy$pal is not much harder I do not want to teach crooks but ebay has 1% security Pa$pal is only 2%

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 02:10:47 PM »
it is not the number of accounts that one has that determines whether one is a crook .. its is for what purpose those accounts are used that determines that ...... you could have only 1 of each and be a crook ... you could have 10 of each useed for legit purposes 

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
What concerns me is not multiplicity of accounts - but multiplicity of accounts with DIFFERENT DETAILS, all belonging to one person.

That is, different name (not just username - that's a given), different address, different financial information. And of course different IP so that neither eBay nor PayPal can easily use their "sophisticated" technology to discover the relationship. (Excuse my use of the word "sophisticated" in this context. There is enough irony there to build Titanic Mark II, III, IIIb, IIIc, IV, and V.)

Shyer, your point about 500 IDs is well taken. It is not hard for a banned user to rejoin eBay using different (invented) details. Creating multiple IDs on PayPal is, as mentioned, not quite as easy, but it's certainly not impossible. More than that, it is sufficiently possible that a reasonably average person with reasonably adequate skills - without criminal connections, without being a criminal mastermind - can do it.

Smee, you're right - legitimate users with legitimate non-criminal purposes can have multiple accounts, and as long as the reason for those multiple accounts is indeed non-criminal, it doesn't really matter (except that eBay doesn't distinguish between one user with multiple accounts and many uers with one account, so that their membership information is grossly skewed and non-reflective of reality of use in our society).

But when creating multiple IDs on eBay and PayPal for legitimate use, one doesn't have to a) disguise one's IP (proxy server, false IP setting, etc.), b) create or use a different account holder name, c), give different address information (please correct me if I'm wrong on this; I believe someone did once say a different address had to be entered, but on the other hand I've heard of multiple accounts with the same address), and of course, d), provide different financial information.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 07:29:33 PM »
I use proxy server all the time.

I have multiple ebay id, all with different name, different address and different country. I don't provide my financial information on those accounts.

I guess I am bad though I have not cheated anyone.

tommy.irene

• Knight of the RT
  • Im a 99 year old IRISHMAN..But I still think im 25
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 08:20:40 PM »
Countessa its easy to heck into anyones account... look at....hackedebayaccounts or hackedpaypalaccounts
***** TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL *****

tommy.irene

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 09:08:45 PM »
I watch UK TV at HACKEDCABLETV.COM..... and at www.jaketv.co.uk and click on the box Watch TV..

tommy.irene

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 11:30:47 PM »
The more email addresses you have ..the more ebay accounts you can open

Poddy

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 12:54:42 AM »
Easiest thing in the world. Not only to get an account but to actively use it. Do you think this account was even looked at?
I used that as an example to prove a point it took less than 5 minutes and has a balance and could be used.

Welcome, Alphonse Capone
Last log in August 25, 2010 5:00 AM
Account Type: Personal  Upgrade Status: Unverified Get verified
PayPal balance:   $2.40 USD View limits

And yes the address was and is the actual address of that notorious thug in Chicago

By the way Big Al carked it in 1947 but he can still use PayPal