Author Topic: Location of items showing in eBay search  (Read 8922 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Location of items showing in eBay search
« on: December 03, 2010, 10:16:40 PM »
Is this new? I've never noticed it before. In List View, under every item is a location.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Location of items showing in eBay search
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 10:24:08 PM »
And why, if I select Australia only, do some listings show the location as the state and some say Australia?

example:

On the List View this one shows as location: Australia
On the listing
Item location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Posts to: Australia

And this one, on the List View shows as location: VIC
On the listing
Item location: Melbourne, VIC, Australia

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 10:26:35 PM »
yes its in a new place in the listing  view  , and it can only show what the seleer has keyed in as the location and so only put a state or the country ....you can put whatever you want in the location it doesnt have to marry up with your registered ebay address , but it is still suppossed to be a true representation of where it is

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 10:28:25 PM »
sorry Smee, I modified my post above to show an example, it doesn't make any sense to me!

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 10:33:30 PM »
again Wheels in depends on how the seller has completed the location box on the listing

where it shows Australai on that listing ...if the seller has completed the city/state section of the address as say victoria , then thats what it will show , if however that sectipn is left blank then it reverts to the country field and the country field is compulasray to have something in it the city/state field of the location details isnt

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 10:35:36 PM »
I thought maybe it only recognises the abbreviated version of the State otherwise it would show as Australia but that's not the case.

Item location: East Gosford, New South Wales, Australia

Item location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 10:37:53 PM »
Sorry Smee, I must be having a blonde moment. Please type slowly and explain it to me.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 10:43:11 PM »
wheels I have amended my post now to hopefully better explain it ... but if you go into a listing and revise and click on change location or next time you do a listing click on change location you will see what I mean ... there is 3 fields for you to complete city/state post code and country .... now only the country field is compulsary
for example if you leave the postcode blank your item will not appear in a search when someone searches on a item within 25km of say 3000 cos you havent given it that info ...if you accidently keyed in 6105 instead of say 3105 your item would show in search done by people in perth if they searched for items within 25km of 6000 even if you had typed in brunswick victoria in the city/state box

it doesnt know it doesnt match up the 2 or 3 boxes this is why a lot of the refined searches by km are stuffed ...

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 10:46:16 PM »
OK, but,

this is one of our listings, why doesn't is show as location: Victoria ???

On the listing

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 10:55:20 PM »
you are confusing me a bit now ...

ok if you did a search on say high scholl musical dvd , on the list the only locations it would show are for those from a different countries ie United Kingdom ...any on the list that are from Australia it doesnt show anything until you actually open the individual listing ....correct ?  

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 10:57:07 PM »
once you open the actual listing it now shows something like this under where it shows what the bidding is upto
Estimated delivery time varies. 
 Item location: Currimundi, Queensland, Australia
 that never used to be there it used to be on the right hand side

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 10:57:44 PM »
Sorry to confuse you but I think you've already solved the mystery!

I checked our listings and we had city, state and country but no postcode. I revised one listing and it is now showing as location:VIC so it is obviously picking up the location:STATE from the postcode box, irrespective of what is written in the city,state box.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 10:59:46 PM »
you are confusing me a bit now ...

ok if you did a search on say high scholl musical dvd , on the list the only locations it would show are for those from a different countries ie United Kingdom ...any on the list that are from Australia it doesnt show anything until you actually open the individual listing ....correct ?  

No, for "High School Musical DVD" all listings have a location, whether it is a state, or Australia, or UK or US

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 11:02:16 PM »
eg

[attachment deleted by admin]

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 11:02:18 PM »
OK, but,

this is one of our listings, why doesn't is show as location: Victoria ???

On the listing

sorry we are talking over the top of each other , and confusing each other ... the best way for you to answer this question , if they are exsisting listings is to open each of the listings click on revise , click on change location and then see if the way the relevant boxes on each listing are completed exactley the same , I think there will a slight variation ...if not then I am not sure , but its hard when I cant see inside your listings ... by the way you probably know this but you dont have to complete the revise item you can back out after checking the location details

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
oh gooooooooood I read back and see problem  solvered  .... yes its all relevant to the postcode .... that is what it seaches on so as I say if you typed in Brunswick Melbourne , but put the postcode in for a perth suburb it would say the location was WA
if no postcode whatsoever is keyed in then it goes by the compulsary field which is country so would say Australia ...

have we succesfully confused each other to the extent that we have solved the problem Wheels  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

the funny thing is , my search doesnt show those states as yours does only the country of the overseas ones , so somehow we must have used slightly different search criteia

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 11:20:45 PM »
Thanks Mr Smee, it's a bit like 'the Blind leading the Blind'  :lol:  but, hey we get there!

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 11:23:19 PM »
And talking about problems solved, well hopefully solved, my RTS parcel was delivered today. I sent them the tracking details and then emailed them again today when I saw it was 'Onboard with driver' and asked them to contact their local Post Shop if the parcel wasn't delivered. Tracking now shows as delivered.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 11:25:53 PM »
thats great Wheels , another potential bullet dodged by the combined effort of the Dynamic duo ..... if you keep your excellent record up Wheels , I can forsee a possible merger/takeover with/by Smee Enterprises 

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 11:35:55 PM »
 :rofl:

Have I told you yet how much I prefer selling on the website to eBay? Just had a buyer's email. Sent an email reply and a few seconds later payment comes through. No wondering if they've got the messages, or what kind of messages they've got!

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 11:37:26 PM »
I imagine it would be a better feeling on the website ....but on the other hand , the traffic flow just wouldnt be there would it ?

so for a hobby seller , the 2 really need to go hand in hand ?

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 11:40:29 PM »
Of course, and most of the buyers come from eBay or from recommendations from previous eBay buyers.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 11:44:18 PM »
yep thats what I assumed ... its just that I hear of other hobby sellers spitting their rags at times and saying Im quittting eBay and setting up my own web page ... just where they think their traffic is going to come from is beyond me ......

Oh and by the way if you do become part of the Smee Enterprises team ...the Christmas parties are a real hoot ..... maybe Liisa should consider a merger too 

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 12:03:48 AM »
Sounds good, I hear Liisa likes to perform at Christmas Parties.   :lol:

I've just revised our listings to add a postcode to the location. They should all now show as VIC. I do like the Bulk Edit tool.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 12:08:10 AM »
yes and whats more , they will now show up in the correct searches when people search by distance , although that option is mainly used for pick up items ... but its good to have the correct info .... search engines are only as good as the info people feed them !!!!!

Sounds good, I hear Liisa likes to perform at Christmas Parties.... we will have to hide the lamp shades !