Author Topic: ebay and the latest ...............................................MEDIA REPORTS  (Read 1226100 times)

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
“Your upfront cost of selling on eBay is about to be dramatically reduced once again!”—eBay.

Hey, guys (and gals), another “reduction” in fees! Surely, you weren’t expecting anything but another load of “lowest fees ever” disingenuous nonsense, were you? Actually, this latest load of nonsense is no more than another desperate attempt to arrest the hemorrhaging of Marketplace revenue, via the application of the FVF on your basic shipping charge, and should have been saved for announcement on 1 April.

And, they can’t even announce it right: the FVF will apparently apply only to the default shipping charge (if any), not to any additional international shipping or premium charges.

But it does seem that eBay has decided that all those little sellers, that they have for so long been trampling upon, do now have some value to them, hence the 50 free any-start-price auction listings with optional BIN.

What does this mean? Have the retail “big boys” been doing so poorly that eBay is forced to be nice to the hordes of great unwashed “little people”. That must be a bitter pill for the “eBafia Don” to swallow—undoubtedly a large swig of kool-aid would have been required.

In the meantime, don’t ever look for any logic in anything these headless turkeys at eBay do, otherwise you will finish up as confused and incompetent as they so obviously are. These are Bain & Co MBA’s. They have no experience in anything but dismantling (ie, destroying) companies. They obviously have no experience in marketing, no experience in auctions, no experience in IT, no experience in database management, no experience in web site design, no experience in … anything of any value to the competent running of any business, particularly not this one. John, though, apparently does know how to play with his “smart phone”.

eBay’s many Donahoe-introduced problems are hardly worth discussing any more. Clearly, headless turkeys have taken over the eBay Executive Suite and, in particular, since the sociopath (psychopath?) John Queeg-Donahoe has been given a key to the larger “disabled” cubicle in the executive wash room, the eBay Marketplace has every quarter gone—relatively-speaking—backwards.

What would I not give to be a fly on the wall in the executive suite in the San Jose “bunker”: to watch the “eBafia Don” and his gaggle of other headless turkeys, every morning, running around in circles, bumping into each other, trying to decide what to do tomorrow, to get those page views, or whatever, up; to find some new devious way to try to keep the bilge pumps working to keep the rusting old scow, otherwise known as the eBay Marketplace, from going submarine?

Deutsche Bank’s Jeetil Patel is still the only market analyst that has consistently had this criminal organization’s card correctly marked. Where are all the other analysts getting their eBay info from? Directly from the eBay Dept of Spin? Regardless, relative to e-commerce in general and the “big river” in particular, the eBay Marketplace is continuing its journey down the toilet—and that is a shame for everyone concerned.

Enron / eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking.
“Today we’re dealing with phase two or phase three [he can’t even remember which one] of disruptive innovation. We’ve had the disruption, now we must disrupt our own disruption.”—John Donahoe (2007).

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Philip

can I suggest before you start knotting your underpants like a deranged boy scout that you sit down calming and read the stories carefully before bursting forth with another 10,000 word manifesto

I would never be one to suggest you were half cocked but it should be pointed out that your proclamation above has nothing to do with Australia ... you forgot to qualify it by saying these matters are only for US sellers

when you read the latest Changes coming to eBay  http://www2.ebay.com/aw/au/201103.shtml#2011-03-16114827 you'll find none of the points you raised

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
nope you couldnt suggest that Tags ...he definatley is a complete cock , that point is proven beyond all shadow of doubt

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT

Say what you really mean smee don't keep it bottled up ... BTW ... when's the next Amigo corporate management meeting ? ... I've seen no smut ... errr  I mean meeting request emails ...

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
‘Fraud on a major scale’: City man accused in $235K scheme

http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/mar/16/8216fraud-on-a-major-scale8217/

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Executive Says New eBay Fees Help Align Seller Incentives

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/cab/abn/y11/m03/i16/s03

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
Visa Taking Aim at PayPal?

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2011/03/16/visa-taking-aim-at-paypal-venmo/

Draft Media Release re PayPal

“It is with great sadness that eBay’s Chief Headless Turkey, John Queeg-Donahoe, announces the probable eventual demise of eBay’s most ugly daughter, PayPal. Donahoe says that PayPal is likely to be stricken by particularly virulent strains of Visa/Mastercard P2P, and these afflictions are greatly aggravated by PayPal’s insurmountable lack of direct financial institutions support and a great deal of PayPal merchant dissatisfaction, particularly with respect to PayPal’s grossly unfair, “all responsibility avoiding” user agreement, primitive risk management processes, and grossly unprofessional, buyer-biased and fraud-facilitating (indeed, apparently non existent) transactions mediation, to name just a few of the problems that PayPal merchants have to endure.

“Donahoe says that PayPal’s health may therefore be expected to deteriorate and, if ultimately not completely incapacitated, will most likely be eventually confined to its mandatory offering on what little there will be, by then, left of the Donahoe-devastated eBay marketplaces. There is no cure for this condition and the “eBafia Don” is particularly saddened by the inevitable presumption that it is unlikely that PayPal will be able to continue to underpin eBay’s sagging bottom line too far into the future.”

Yes, it’s a send-up but, still, it accurately describes PayPal’s unregulated, most unprofessional and “clunky” operation. Had the developers of the original “bankcard” concept ever behaved the way PayPal behaves, towards its payees in particular, credit/debit cards would never have gotten off the ground, and we would still be paying for all our purchases with bits of paper and little metal discs.

PayPal is not a “bank”, and is not prudentially regulated as are the banks. PayPal has been forced down the throats of eBay merchants, much to their distaste. Without eBay’s mandating the use of PayPal it would be nothing and, regardless, it still is the most unprofessional, unscrupulous, incompetent, wire fraud-facilitating payments processor on the planet.

All the payments processors that do not have the direct underlying risk-managing and real transaction-mediation support of the financial institutions (the “banks”) that are ultimately involved at either end of the transaction—as does the likes of Visa/Mastercard—suffer all the same handicaps that PayPal suffers. The “banks” may be disliked by some but they at least supply a “professional” payments processing service.

Undoubtedly, if and when the banks decide they want to take on the greater risk involved with such payments processing as PayPal offers, and they offer a like simple, but more “professional”, online system, PayPal will quickly disappear into the history books.

What, another 10,000 word rant? And this article probably only applies to the US also, but some of you guys apparently have not yet tumbled to the fact that the US is where all the action, good and bad, usually starts …
“Today we’re dealing with phase two or phase three [he can’t even remember which one] of disruptive innovation. We’ve had the disruption, now we must disrupt our own disruption.”—John Donahoe (2007).

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
eBay Named Most Ethical Auction Company

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y11/m03/i17/s02

I thought at first that this announcement must be an April Fools Day send up that got let out of the box early; indeed I still suspect that it is so; what else could it be?

But the simple answer is eBay appears to be the only company in the "auction category" that submitted their pack of PR spin to this laughable survey, and so they now claim to have been named “Most Ethical Auction Company”.

http://ethisphere.com/wme2011/

Laughable! Actually, a claim by eBay "unethical" in the extreme. Then what else have we come to expect from eBay?

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
I noticed PayPal didn't make it for the "Financial Services" category - or anywhere else, for that matter.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
eBay Tells Sellers to Raise Prices to Cope with Higher Fees

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/cab/abn/y11/m03/i17/s01

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
More Questions about eBay's New Fees and Shopping Cart

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/cab/abn/y11/m03/i21/s01

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
“EBay CEO's compensation rose 22 percent in 2010
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-technology/ebay-ceos-compensation-rose-22-percent-in-2010-20110322-1c4kc.html

What a joke, or how to manipulate the books to ... The headless turkey’s compensation increase, at 22%, greatly exceeds eBay’s small nominal revenue increase, which was, relative to ecommerce in general, effectively a decrease. No wonder these “Enrons” eventually implode.

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
“EBay adjusts rules for avoiding 'listing' fees”
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-technology/ebay-adjusts-rules-for-avoiding-listing-fees-20110316-1bw5l.html

Gee, an article in the SMH, the Australian newspaper of record, (16 March) about fee avoidance and the application of FVF on shipping costs! What could this story be all about. We have been assured by our all-knowing managing editor, “bnwt”, that none of this matter applies to Australia. Well, who knows whether or not it does apply, apparently not the SMH, and who really cares any longer, anyway. Maybe this story is no more than the colourful regurgitations of a lazy SMH journalist who did not confirm an overseas sourced article with local eBay first.

And, bnwt, did you deliberately miss indexing this SMH story because eBay told you it did not apply to Australia, or did you come to that conclusion all by yourself.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
This thread is not BNWT's private property with 'No Trespassing' signs on it, nor is BNWT solely responsible for its content.  He has made an exemplary effort in posting on this thread - a fact for which I am exceedingly grateful - but he can't be everywhere.  Also, last I heard he is still running a business.

Ubbie

everyone is free to post ............... I wish others would

As encouraged above, if any member has come across an article that they feel merits being presented here - they are free to do so, subject to the same rules that apply right across this forum.  I do, however, feel it is not necessary to call into question why any particular article has not been presented, since there are several possible reasons.

Maybe BNWT left that article for someone else to put up.  Maybe he was having frustrating and inconvenient issues with a computer.  Maybe he didn't think it newsworthy.  Maybe he just didn't come across it.  Maybe it was something else.......

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
I just think that the SMH may not be a site or paper that BNWT bothers to visit..lol

Too much junk on that site...but I may be wrong.....

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
I tend not to include repeats of the same story unless there is some new opinion or point of view 

the SMH piece was a straight cut & paste of the AP press release .... nothing that had not already been said before

and yes it has nothing to do with eBay Australia

going off half cocked seems to be evident in more places then just here

and let me take this opportunity to invite anyone and everyone to post interesting media pieces .... anything to inform or entertain

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT

This thread should stay on topic BN~Tags... you do a sterling job of keeping everyone up to date with the latest and greatest feebay news... there's plenty of other threads for useless banter ...
{ just plugging mine in the fountain ~ the hit counter has come to stand still ... LOL }

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
LOL Yib. Banter has an expiration date now?
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/news/Ebay-wetsuit-auction-wins-163-8500-Japanese-earthquake-victims/article-3357566-detail/article.html

Second-hand wetsuit auction wins over £8,500 for Japanese earthquake victims

>> The auction was won at 8pm last night for £8,999 by an anonymous bidder who has since admitted he can't honour his bid. The prizes have been offered to the second highest bidder for £8,900.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42152305

White-collar hoarders: One lurks in every office

...Some companies have a different name for it: stealing. And they aren't always sympathetic. In 2006, Allure magazine fired an editor for selling freebie beauty samples on eBay.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
eBay's Annual Meeting Includes Challenge to Company Bylaws

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/cab/abn/y11/m03/i22/s03

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
ToolRoo Tests New Analytics Service for eBay Auctions

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/cab/abn/y11/m03/i25/s03

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
New Tool Lets Users Report Tech Issues on eBay

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/cab/abn/y11/m03/i30/s03

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
“eBay Raises ProStores Fees, Eliminates eBay PowerSeller Discounts”

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y11/m03/i30/s01

“eBay raised fees for its ecommerce web-hosting service ProStores as of March 29, 2011, citing "rising per store costs." Prostores is also terminating discounts it had extended to eBay Stores subscribers and PowerSellers.

“In his email to users, Alexis Van De Wyer, Director of ProStores, said, ‘Unfortunately, due to rising per store costs, we need to adjust our pricing. We felt the fairest way to do this was to align our pricing with merchant usage of server space and hosting resources. As a result, we are introducing new Store Levels and pricing based on merchant catalog size.’”

“… rising per store costs, …” What he actually means is “reducing eBay revenues”.

Ah, more desperate, but what will be futile, eBay attempts to compensate for falling Marketplace revenues. Sorry Big John, but it won’t work; many of eBay’s users have already pulled the chain and you are well on your way to the sewage processing plant, with your temporary life-support system, PayPal, soon to follow.