Author Topic: Are your credit card details safe with PayPal?  (Read 15105 times)

trishreid

Are your credit card details safe with PayPal?
« on: April 27, 2009, 08:02:10 PM »
I have never liked Paypal and I hate the way eBay has forced it on us and for these two reasons alone I hate to use it.

I have also read a lot on the old RT boards regarding the safety of your personal information eg credit details.
How safe is it to have your details on file with Paypal?

Specifically one off credit card payments?
I ordered a photo book online with Big W and their only method of payment is via credit card through Paypal.

On principal I don't want to use it, but if I have to, how safe is it?

Many thanks in advance.

regulus*

Re: Are your credit card details safe with PayPal?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 09:08:02 PM »
Hi Trish,

I have used paypal with my credit card for a few years now and have not had a problem.

I find paypal easy to use and great for international buying.

col52

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:07:33 PM »
Hello trishreid and

Whilst I have used Paypal without problem (buying/paying anyway), there is always a risk. Their server was hacked around 2 years ago by someone who had a real gripe with ebay - he is in prison now I believe.

Paypal is not as perfect as ebay would have all believe. I personally prefer Paymate or a merchant account (that's where a website has it's own system via an Australian bank)

col52

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 10:15:32 PM »
I wonder why Big W is using Paypal, considering they are also using ANZ eGateway. Why don't they have the two options separated to allow choice?

night-hawk-1

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 08:25:37 AM »
I personally do not trust them to have my credit card details.

I also am not happy that their dispute resolution process mentions nothing about our legal rights of resolution from our Financial Ombudsman

Or that they refuse to be party to the  Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) Code of Conduct that all Australian financial organisations are party to.

This I feel could leave Paypal customer in more than a little trouble if things go pear shaped.

regulus*

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 01:04:18 PM »
If you are worried about online shopping and credit cards, something you can do is have one with a low limit and use it online.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 01:25:27 PM »
Yes, a good solution to limit potential damage (and it's actually a good idea for all online purchases) is to have a DEBIT CARD rather than a CREDIT CARD (or as Nova says, a credit card with a low limit), and make sure it's issued by a bank rather than GE or Woolworths or something like that. Check with your bank/card issuer to ensure it has similar protection to that of a credit card if you decide on a debit card.

Leave the account with a low balance - top up by account transfer just before you buy something - and the risks are somewhat minimised.

Remember that if you've not been refunded if a PayPal claim is resolved in your favour, you should go in person to your bank (asap) and initiate a chargeback. Once you explain the situation to your bank, they will start the process. Be aware that the merchant against whom your claim is will be PayPal, not the seller.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

trishreid

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 03:00:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I often use my credit card online, just have never used it with paypal.

I don't understand why Big W doesn't have it's own merchant facilities like the virgin blue and others do.

I don't like the fact that paypal has not signed the EFT code and was not sure how safe my details are with them as apposed to other merchant facilities.

I might give Big W a call and see if I can pay some other way.

Thanks again.