Author Topic: Items we love to find on eBay  (Read 14238 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Items we love to find on eBay
« on: April 26, 2009, 10:12:57 AM »
It's harder to find things on eBay now, due to the increasingly difficult eBay search page, but still there are things we love to find on eBay - perhaps because of better value than anywhere else, perhaps because the items are hard to find - perhaps because of living in a rural area where eBay makes it possible to buy things virtually impossible to obtain in other ways - perhaps because you're looking for something out of print - or used - or any other reason.

What are some of the things you look for? How do you find them?

This information is not only to help all of us refine the way in which we find things, and exchange discussions about the sort of items we're looking for, but also to help sellers who might not know how hard their listings are to find. Buyers, sellers, everyone - this thread is for you.

One of the type of items for which I look: out of print classical CDs or CDs which haven't had a local release yet (and I can be very impatient! Give me the CD now!)

I find it hard to search for this sort of thing - I usually search by name of singer and album title, but if the seller has incorrect spelling in the title, or doesn't think the name of the singer is important, it can be a nightmare! Also difficult is when one's looking for a particular version of an opera on DVD or CD. Do you know how many sellers don't include some way of identifying the performance? If they at least included one of the principal singers, or the conductor... or something... but No! They often don't.

Example: do a search for "Don Giovanni" DVD. I'm looking for (and have been looking for, for a while) a DVD of the performance which took place in Amsterdam (Holland Festival, 1994), starring the baritone Rodney Gilfry in the title role. (I wish eBay would put more thought into its search function. So slow to load! So hard to find things! Oh well...) Few of the sellers of DVDs of opera realise how important this sort of information is. If they can't include the information in the title, I believe it's pivotal to at least include it in the description - so that it's searchable.

It's pointless, I have found, to browse the categories for this sort of thing.

And the question again... What are some of the things you look for? How do you find them?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

matildasplace

Re: Items we love to find on eBay
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 02:09:52 PM »
I often search for out of print Cd's from little no name bands that most people would never have head from before.

I usually just type the name of the band.

I have picked up quite a few for .99c or under $10 as these are bands who were around over 10 years ago generally from Melbourne that most people have no interest in.

These CD's are worth so much to me and would be impossible for me to get my hands on if it wasn't for ebay and the fact that a lot of people use ebay to cull their CD collections.

I also collect items that have bees on them and have bought some fantastic Bee Jewelery. Again I just use the search term 'bee' and throughly enjoy scrolling through all of the bee related items,  I often click included title and description and have picked up some real bargains as the seller has used poor key words in the title.

Lots, and lots of bargains to be found on ebay at the moment.

col52

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 02:24:28 PM »
I'm still looking for a rare LP from a band called "Fox" (Noosha Fox), I've only seen it listed once over here in the last 6 years!

Primaryaim

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 02:26:30 PM »
Hi Col,

Have you asked in other venues?

col52

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 03:58:59 PM »
Hello Prim,

I've been trying for probably over 20 years now both in UK and here - all over the place! I have all but one of the LP's. This particular one was deleted back in the late 70's.

By any chance.............do you know anything about the group? There's a bit of trivia for you.............

qualitycateringco

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 04:11:06 PM »
Hi Col,

Yes, I have the image of good ol' Noosha singing S-s-single Bed etched in my brain, along with images of the other '70s vamps that tend to occupy the brains of teenagers.  Kate Bush, Stevie Nicks, and the chicks from Heart.  Did Ms Fox ever do anything after 1979?

LiisaSx

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 04:18:11 PM »
I remember that song Quality lol,

I like to look for things that remind me of happy times, I love vintage and antique items, I'm a little eclectic though.

I'm Currently trying to source a reasonably priced Mint copy of "City on the Peel" History of Tamworth.

col52

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 04:33:40 PM »
Hi Col,

Yes, I have the image of good ol' Noosha singing S-s-single Bed etched in my brain, along with images of the other '70s vamps that tend to occupy the brains of teenagers.  Kate Bush, Stevie Nicks, and the chicks from Heart.  Did Ms Fox ever do anything after 1979?

She did, QC. What I didn't know for a long time was that she's Australian!

Noosha Fox (born Susan Traynor) left the band after Blue Hotel. Armstrong and Young continued to work together in the band Yellow Dog, she launched a solo career, and her first single, "Georgina Bailey", written and produced by Young, briefly entered the Top 40 in the UK (reaching number 31) in 1977. In 1979, she tried again to start her solo career with a single, "The Heat Is On", on Chrysalis Records. (I have that one!)
She recorded several singles in the early 1980s for the Earlobe label but none were successful, and she evidently retired from the music business, but not returning to Australia as many believe.

Fox reformed briefly in 1980, releasing the New Wave-influenced "Electro People", written as the theme music for the Kenny Everett Show. (I have that one too, oo-ee-oo-eeh-o-eeh)
The band considered a reunion in the early 1990s, but the tracks recorded at this time were unreleased until 2004, when they appeared as bonus tracks on the Tails of Illusion CD.

It was reported in 2007 on BBC Radio 4's "The Music Group" that Noosha Fox is recording a solo album of electropop, and has her own website.

col52

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 04:34:15 PM »
Forgot to say, I love Kate Bush too!

Poison_Ivy

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 05:35:35 PM »
Col can you PM me which Fox album your looking for?, as we have a secondhand record store here and I would be happy to go and take a look to see if they have it.

I loved looking on ebay for DVD's I can't find in the shops here.   My daughter loves Strawberry Shortcake so I search through ebay to find items for her as it isn't widely available in shops, but have found her all sorts of SS items on ebay.

col52

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 05:45:34 PM »
Will do Ivy, in the meantime - I have found Noosha Fox's website. Anyone know how I can save the song file?

http://www.nooshafox.com/

Did647

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 07:10:20 PM »
Will do Ivy, in the meantime - I have found Noosha Fox's website. Anyone know how I can save the song file?

Which one do you want ??

col52

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 10:35:15 PM »

Which one do you want ??

It's the one at the top of her site, called "Judy Blue"

regulus*

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 10:39:56 PM »
I like looking for old books.