The Oz Round Table boards > The Round Table

What Lives in Your Memory as the BEST thing You Ever Bought Online ?

(1/3) > >>

frangi:
Despite the gloom hovering over online buying at the moment, you're bound to have happy memories of at least one thing you bought online, right ?

What was it ... and do you still have it ?

Maybe it only cost a few cents, or perhaps you happily blew the budget.  But what, for you, was your happiest online purchase ?

*Ubbie Max*:
I bid for & won a Pearson compound bow, brand new with sight,  USA Ebay. The price for such an item here would be around A$1,500 & I got it landed at my door for A$450.

Ripper,

frangi:
Oh, beautiful, Ubbrd  :t2:

Mine was a genuine multi diamond ring from the early 1900s .. Art Deco style I think it would be .. geometrical design.  Platinum, old cut diamonds and gold.   Bought it on the old SOLD.com. for $52  (!!!!)

She was a great seller, a real character.  We used to email back and forth like regular old penpals, almost every night.  I bought quite a bit from her.   At the time, our local post office must have been staffed by Mafia members or something .. they were even ripping open my Registered mail items.  I forced AP's corporate security group to investigate, wrote the appropriate Minister and to Aust. Post's headquarters.  In the end, although AP denied any wrong-doing on the part of the staff in question, they nevertheless got rid of the lot of them.  Coincidence, obviously ...

As consequence and during all the above, I asked my seller friend to hang onto my items until such times as it seemed safe to send them.  She was fine with that and I kept on buying, even sending down money in advance so that there was a hefty balance which I intended to use to buy more.

Then, she just disappeared off the radar.  I'd left it too long, even though she'd assured me all my things (and there were some gorgeous items amongst them .. genuine antique jewellery, etc.) were safely in a drawer at her place.

Tried to contact her several times. No response.  So all I have to show for it is the lovely multi diamond ring.  All my fault.  But it's a lovely ring, and to this day, I'll claim I only paid $52 for it (and we'll forget the several hundreds of dollars in items I lost, lol)

mtnlane:
I collect antique samplers and I have a collection of beautiful ones I bought on eBay - mostly from the U.K.  I treasure them :-)

Primaryaim:
I needed a spare single bed for when the grandkidlets visit so bid and won one very close to home.

The final bid price was $5 (but I gave him the snipe amount I had put in because the bed was in such great shape and I loved it).

When I picked it up I chatted with the elderly seller who was such a lovely person. The bed had been his since he was a child. 

He said he felt sad to be selling it etc. etc. a bit like he was selling a pet.  It has unusual ends with turned spokes etc., just lovely.

I assured him it was going to a good home and would be appreciated, as it really is. I love it, you don't see beds made like it any more and it will be handed down in my family and never sold.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version