Author Topic: What camera/s do you use for what shots?  (Read 226595 times)

Coinfucious888

• Knight of the RT
Re: What camera/s do you use for what shots?
« Reply #300 on: June 06, 2010, 03:49:34 PM »
Elements 8 works with both 32 as well 64 bit versions of Win 7.

However, reading photos taken in Raw mode is "tricky". I am still experimenting with it.

My Cam allows me to take photos in both normal (set to Vivid) as well as Raw and I play around between the two modes.

A close friend who knows more than moi suggested I should try out "Corel Paint SHop Pro Photo X 2".Apparently it is easy using this post processing program.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #301 on: June 06, 2010, 03:50:49 PM »
LAYERS ... can be used to make life really easy if you are doing fancy things, like adding captions, thought bubbles or adding a person to a group photo.

If you are just tweaking an existing photo, then using layers may not make any obvious sense.  However, once you DO grasp the idea, you might find ways for layers to make it easier.

One question Ubb: What is it about layers you aren't sure about:
 (a) What they are?
 (b) What they can be used for?
 (c) How to use them in Photoshop (or other software package)?

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #302 on: June 06, 2010, 04:32:07 PM »
G'day Brum6y. I know what layers are & what they can be used for but, I don't know how to perform the functions, for example, Layers can be used to change a boring sky to a more vibrant sky etc.
Hopefully the Photoshop For Dummies will explain it in layman's terms.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #303 on: June 06, 2010, 06:12:02 PM »
OK - just wanted to check.  Each program does things differently. I know Photostudio quite well (Comes with Canon gear) but the others are unfamiliar territory.

You'll be teaching me soon...!

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #304 on: June 06, 2010, 10:13:06 PM »
"You'll be teaching me soon...!"

I doubt that Brum6y, you have a better handle on these things than I do, or ever will have.
I'll keep plodding along though slowly learning, I hope.

Coinfucious888

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #305 on: June 07, 2010, 09:42:07 AM »
This is an interesting shot of a dragon fly.

Same photo cropped to show just the head.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #306 on: June 07, 2010, 11:10:26 AM »
Absolutly brilliant photos Coinfucious. I wish I had the lenses & skill to take such intricate photos like that.
How do you get the insects to stay still?

Coinfucious888

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #307 on: June 07, 2010, 11:27:13 AM »
Hi Ubbie....snap in the night, insects tend to stay still and allow you to get a lot closer when it is dark. This was taken with a Sigma f:2.8 150mm telemacro lens at a distance of approximately 0.5 metre.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #308 on: June 07, 2010, 03:45:06 PM »
Thanks for the info Coinfucious. I just checked Ebay for the lense you used. There are some listed for about A$1,000.

I assume you use a flash for the insects when photographing at night. Do you diffuse the flash?

I have so much to learn.

Coinfucious888

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #309 on: June 09, 2010, 10:41:56 AM »
I bought mine for about $900 from a HK seller. With a dropping Aussie dollar, this might force the price to go up.

Compared to the known brands like Nikon or Cannon, it is about half their price. Performance wise it is a very good tele macro lens.

Cheers

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #310 on: June 09, 2010, 03:40:23 PM »
This is also an excellent lens for canon DSLR. where others stops at 1 to 1 life size this starts there and up to 5 times life size.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/183199-GREY/Canon_2540A002_Macro_Photo_MP_E_65mm.html

Note price, postage about $50Au, Au dollar and GST will apply

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
    • It Ain't Always My Life!
« Reply #311 on: June 14, 2010, 09:01:22 PM »
shyer - I'm told you know lots and lots about camera ;)

(Thanks to yibs)

By Hubby (the bestest in the WHOLE world) just bought me a HUGE camera - bigger than I wanted - but I am NOT going to complain

A Nikon D3000 with telescopic lens - now the question is.......... what else do I need?

I'm assuming a camera bag, a a tripod (not too big) can you recommend a seller or better still a product for my tiny little needs?

Any help greatly accepted!
"I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years"

http://www.marysvillecookbook.com/ $7,800 **Raised as at 22nd March 2013**
Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #312 on: June 14, 2010, 10:13:52 PM »
Wokkie
 - what sort of shots would you be taking?
 - what sort of shots would you be taking that you would want to use a tripod.

The reason I ask is that there is a great range of accessories, many designed for specific situations.

With tripods, you can go from the big studio units with centre lift and bracing down to the humble 'Clamp-pod' - a pocket-sized G-clamp with an adjustable camera screw and a couple of legs. Mine even has a heavy duty wood screw, for (ahem) affixing to a suitable stable object.

A clamp-pod isn't an ideal solution, but they are small enough to carry all the time... and if you need a stable support, it's better than hand-held.

This isn't mine - but an example of a clamp-pod.

[attachment deleted by admin]

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #313 on: June 14, 2010, 10:34:08 PM »
I've got no idea - if I had chosen the camera I would have gone point and shoot - yes I'm lazy etc..... (don't boo)

The tripod, the only reason I need one (yes need) is to be able to utilise the telescopic lens (300mm) F/4-5.6 (LD MACRO 1:2) - It's HUGE and ANY movement I've already discovered will blur the picture even when sitting on a fence post!

(admitedly it was a dark shot and takes longer to focus etc)

I imagine mostly weather type shoots, lightening etc - that's what I was using the Point and shoot for.

Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #314 on: June 14, 2010, 11:05:15 PM »
Regular tripods come in a variety of configurations - but some of the basics are as follows:

1) Legs are made up of a number of sections that telescope. It is common for there to be 3 sections, but you could have any number. More sections means more joins and where there are joins, there is movement. Even when locked the extended legs are not as stiff as a single piece.  For minimum movement, the idea is to have as few sections as possible and have an effective locking system. However, for a given height, fewer sections means they will be longer - and this will result in a larger package to cart around. Tripods with more sections will be shorter and easier to carry around - and because they were designed for high portability, they tend to be lighter (and flimsier) ... which means they aren't going to be as rigid.

2) Leg locking. There are situations where the ground will not be level or you are working on a step or some other obstacle will mean the legs of your tripod will be of differing lengths for it to be set up correctly for the shot.  In these cases, the leg locking mechanism will need to operate with full effectiveness at any point in the travel of each leg.  This is not normally a problem for the larger units, but just one thing to check when you are buying one. With the smaller portable units, make this a definite check.

3) Centre lift column. Just an easy way to get some height adjustment, without having to fidlle around with changing leg lengths. Not essential, but if you have a choice - get one with this feature.

4) Leg bracing. Good for stiffening up the whole tripod so things don't move around. Also keeps legs in place if you are moving the whole tripod around. If you are going for extreme telephoto, this might be worthwhile, but I wouldn't get too anxious about this when starting out. It adds weight and cost, too.

5) Head. Some tripods have a simple 1/4" whitworth thread (the standard thread for just about all cameras) on a basic swivel. I would recommend going for a pan & tilt head.  That's the one with the arm out the back, like in the photo below.

Last - and perhaps the MOST IMPORTANT is a remote shutter release.  In the days of film cameras, this was done with a mechanical device called a cable release. They would screw into the shutter release button.  These days, there are electronic devices as well, but whatever you do, make sure you have one when working on a tripod. The reason is very simple ... when you press the shutter release on the camera body, the camera WILL MOVE. Even top professionals can't completly eliminate this movement.  It may cause your framing of the shot to change, but it will certainly add some motion blur ... which is one of the chief reasons tripods are used.  If using extreme telephoto it can render your shot unrecognisable. However, if you are doing close up work, such as portaits, in good light with short exposure times, you could get away with your finger on the camera ... just remember to squeeze the camera, not just push the button down.

Example of a 4 section tripod with centre lift and a pan/tilt head fitted.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #315 on: June 14, 2010, 11:14:28 PM »
that's look so big and awkward!

I see I'm going to have to think about this a great deal more before committing.  :musing:

NOw you know why I liked point and shoot! :D

What about those flexible type ones? - Are they any good? - I;ve heard about them, but besides that I know very little

Oh well - Going to hit the sack and do some thinking!

thanks for all the input - will catch up again tomorrow!

Night all

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #316 on: June 14, 2010, 11:20:09 PM »
OK Wokkie - for lightening shots, you will need something as rigid as possible.  The shutter will be open for long times and while the lightening will be captured sharply, you don't want any of the countryside that will be illuminated or silhouetted to be appearing in different spots.

Motion blur is accentuated by two factors - focal length and exposure time.

- The longer the focal length, the more any movement is magnified (which you've found out)
 - The longer the exposure time, the more chance there is of movement being affecting your image.

This is where it gets fun....

Longer focal lengths mean higher f-numbers - which, in turn, means dimmer images. You compensate for this by doing one or more of the following:
 1. Increasing illumination of the subject (if possible)
 2. Increasing sensitivity of the image capture device (in film days, this meant using a 'faster' film)
 3. Increasing exposure time.

- For weather shots, the first is not viable.
 - The second has a similar problem for both film and electronic sensors - when you operate at a 'faster' film/setting, you get an increase in graininess/noise
 - The third option increases motion problems, either from camera shake or subject movement.

If portability is not a big issue, I would suggest something with 3 sections and bracing.  Centre lift column isn't going to be much use for weather shots, but it can be handy for other situations. Pan and tilt head is a must.

This is just my thoughts - others may have something else to add...

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #317 on: June 14, 2010, 11:29:32 PM »
Sorry if I've scared you off, Wokkie.

When all is said and done, maybe just go out and find something inexpensive that you feel comfortable with.  See how you go.

If it works well enough for what you want, then that's all that really matters.  If not, then you have a bit of info above and more than one person here who can answer questions.

Oh, just one more thing, don't ever apologise for 'point and shoot' preferences.  If you get photos that you like, everyone else can get knotted.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #318 on: June 14, 2010, 11:38:33 PM »
I use a kodak c433 for all my shots ..... cheap, easy to use and beautiful results

Coinfucious888

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #319 on: June 15, 2010, 10:09:49 AM »
For general photography , besides a tripod, the next thing you may want to consider is a reasonable flash. The pop up flash that comes with the camera is inadequate.

Nikon produces a fair range of speedlites from about a couple of hundred to $800-$900. Obviously, the more it costs, the more powerful it is, with better illumination over a greater distance.

Whilst it is not mandatory for landscapes, it is a must for macros and portraits.

THere are also cheaper third party ones but I have not used any of them to recommend any. Shyer might be able to help out here.

Cheers

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #320 on: June 15, 2010, 10:28:40 AM »
What about those flexible type ones? - Are they any good? ....

hi Da,
I am interested in photography and it's many years since I retired from professional phootgraphy. However I do think I can offer some pointers. What brumby has said about tripods and remote releases is 100% correct and for night photos like you displayed the best way to shoot. I also take my hat off to your hubby he has listened to a honest and knowledgeable camera salesman and got execellent value for his $, for lots more than just weather photography. Look at this set taken with your lens on a similar camera body. Click on a thumbnail to enlarge.

http://www.pbase.com/jpwii/tamron_70300mm_f456_di_ld_macro_sample_images

The lens is beautifly sharp on the frogs eye you can even see a sharp relfection of the lanshape behind. While also nice on the geese in flight and jet black Cracken against very pale wood.

Photography is all about light and either in macro or telephoto for weather shots a point and shoot 20mm diameter lens has 9 times, yes 9 times less light to give clean sharp images than your lens. There is no 20mm diameter lens made cost regardless . That can beat the tarmon 62mm diameter telephoto lens you have, size is a trade off for quality. Same in sensor battery life the list goes on.

I personally can not use a tripod for weather shots. I can not set up quicky enough on tripod for fast action. Some people with more tripod experience can. My starting point for weather photography would be turn off auto focus set to near infinity, set f to smallest number if 8 /11/ 22 and move iso up if needs be 400 and above can get blurry . Let camera pick speed make sure 1/125 sec or faster. Set telephoto to suit framing er towards less telephoto ( you can always crop but never increase) Use a rest, fence is fine, as is car roof, tree trunk, side rest is as good bottom rest even chair. All those settings means less blurring from hand shake and no waiting for focus ect. Things like lightning will help in sharp images as flash occurs over miliseconds. Just like a camera flash freezes the moment.

The first addition I would consider a monopod, fast to use,cheaper, lighter and smaller than tripod. Expensive head is not important as monopod easilly tilded or swiveled . I also like a foot rest to help clamp the bottom. For landscapes, I would then consider a wide angle 20 mm or so lens, no auto focus and no zoom but f2 or better to see the clarity a fixed lens can give. Tripod and remote for long exposures times may now be needed. Then a flash nikon make excellent but very expensive flashes form $400 up to thousands $. There are many aftermarket ones just as useable from $100.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #321 on: June 15, 2010, 06:07:21 PM »
I did try to post something this morning - failed on me -  obviously I can't remember it!

shyer because of the height we are here - I don;t need to move much - the storms move east to south west to north rotation around us - so by spinning on the spot I can use the same position for maybe 5-10 minutes BEFORE I have to move.

I've never had an interest in close-ups - although that might change. Purely weather - I am desperate for some stupid reason to catch lightening - full flash fork lightening

But that will take time and many months perhaps years of patience

here is a photo I took with a N-70 (phone) imagine if I had a 'real' camera

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #322 on: June 15, 2010, 09:54:32 PM »
Coinfucious re #300 "However, reading photos taken in Raw mode is "tricky". I am still experimenting with it"

I now have Photoshop Elements 8 & I download my Raw photos from my Canon EOS 550D straight to Photoshop Full Edit. I take the SD card out of the Camera & whack it into a card reader & attach the card reader to one of the computer USB's.

I then (in full edit) go to file, open & open the drive that correspondes to card reader USB port (K drive in my case.
The photos are there in camera file number & I just highlight all the numbers & download.

The above is from memory as I haven't downloaded any for a week or two & I tend to forget computer stuff if I don't do it regularly. Raw photos can't be downloaded to Photoshop organiser just Full edit.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #323 on: June 15, 2010, 10:01:24 PM »
da_ewok. I'm impressed with your photos, considering you took them with a mobile phone. I'd love to see similar photos taken with a Digital SLR especially after a bit of touch up work with photoshop or a similar program.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #324 on: June 15, 2010, 10:55:45 PM »
I was playing around with the telescopic lens tonight - I took it off auto and surprising did rather well - nothing to show yet - (although I haven;t downloaded anything yet) Would have been nice to have a tripod - but I did alright - might download the photos and see if ther is anything worth posting for you.

Thanks everyone for the help - learning heaps already!

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #325 on: June 16, 2010, 09:44:01 AM »
- I took it off auto and surprising did rather well - ....

All auto focus systems will hunt in low light, even the most expensive are slow, if you know you want focus at 100 meters plus, most storms are 2000 meters or more. Remove a problem turn off auto and set near infinity with f8 or higher this means 100meters to infinity is now in focus, and no waiting or auto errors.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #326 on: July 06, 2010, 03:28:51 PM »
I have found a very good forum for Photoshop users. It is;
http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20&order=desc&page=14

I have picked up some great tips & a problem with downloading the latest Camera Raw updater was solved for me.
As a result of the solution I worked out how to move Raw photos from My photographs folder direct to Elements 8 Organiser. Many said it couldn't be done.

If anyone wants to know how I did it I'll post the instructions here. They will be plain English (in my words) instructions.

I recommend that anyone using Elements 8 & photgraphing in Raw download the latest "Camera Raw 6.1 for PSE8", found here,

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4730

This download is for up to Elements 8 but, I used the relevant file (copying it) to make it possible to transfer Raw photos to Elements 8 Organiser as well.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #327 on: July 06, 2010, 03:36:49 PM »
The correct link to get Camera Raw 6.1 for PSE8 Windows is here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4730

The instructions on how to install it are further down that page but basically you need to Proceed to the Download and download the zip file to somewhere you can find it again (eg your desktop).

Now right click on the zip file and "Extract All". You'll now have a folder with two files and a folder in it. Double click on the file called CameraProfiles.exe and run it.

You now need to find the old version of Camera Raw.8bi on your computer which will be in:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 8\File Formats\

or if you have Windows7 64bit

C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 8\File Formats\

Drag out the old version of Camera Raw.8bi and put it somewhere else (rename it if you want but you must remove it from that folder)

Now put the new version in its place.

Start up PSE8 and you should have Camera Raw 6.1 loaded (you can check by looking in the Editor under Help>About Plug-Ins>Camera Raw and it should show a box that says Version 6.1.0.250)

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #328 on: July 06, 2010, 03:41:51 PM »
In order to be able to transfer RAW photos from your photographs folder to Elements 8 organiser I used the following steps (after installing the new Camera Raw 6.1 for PSE8, see post above ).

Open Explorer > open Adobe> open Photoshop Elements 8 >open Plug - ins> double click on File formats & you will see Camera Raw.8bi on the right hand list on your monitor. Leave the right hand side folders with Camera Raw.8bi open.

Then open Elements Organiser 8 on the left hand side (single click) > open Plug -Ins > open Organiser Only (found just below File Formats) > open File formats (a sub folder of Organiser Only).

Now drag a copy of Camera Raw.8bi from the right hand side, which was opened earlier, into File formats (the sub folder of Organiser Only).
Make sure it is a copy and you have not moved the original Camera Raw.8bi folder out of Elements 8 File Formats.

That is how I got Elements 8 Organiser to be able to accept Raw photos, CR2 in my case as I use a Canon.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #329 on: July 08, 2010, 08:54:30 PM »
THought I'd share - was hunting koala - instead found Roo on the hop

(not sure if this will work :(  )

That Varieties Gal

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #330 on: July 08, 2010, 08:56:29 PM »
that's brilliant
can i take a copy please?

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #331 on: July 08, 2010, 09:00:46 PM »
that's brilliant
can i take a copy please?

Yes you may!

Any photo NOT watermarked - you may 'steal' from me ;)

You'll know the ones you can't!

Not sure about it being brilliant - but for a VERY FIRST effort - it's not bad - I was moving and he was moving too - which is why so distorted :(

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #332 on: July 08, 2010, 09:25:18 PM »
Ripper photo Wokie. Shows a lot of speed. What sort of camera were you using?

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #333 on: July 08, 2010, 09:33:59 PM »
A lot of this doesn;t make sense to me - so here goes

Camera Model - Nikon D3000
F-Stop - f/4
Exposure - 1/30 sec
ISO - 800
Focal Length - 28mm

Does any of that make any sense?

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #334 on: July 08, 2010, 09:38:47 PM »
Yep. Very good shot considering you were using F4 (small depth of field) & a relatively slow shutter speed 1/30.

Hopefully one of the more learned photographers will come in & make more educated observations, it's the best way for people like me to learn.

I wish I could have taken a shot like that.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #335 on: July 08, 2010, 09:41:37 PM »
It wasn't set up - it just happened

Lucky to get that - like that - light was low - which might explain some of the shutter behaviour - it was just after dawn

I'm not too fussed - it WILL happen

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #336 on: July 08, 2010, 09:46:45 PM »
Low light would explain the shutter speed. All up, a brilliant photo.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #337 on: July 08, 2010, 09:54:25 PM »
THis one has been cropped - but was taken about 5min prior - you can see the flash in this, but also the darknes of the sky

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #338 on: July 09, 2010, 12:57:30 AM »
Regarding the 'roo shot....

Well done Wokkie.... You have applied a technique for shooting fast moving objects, and that photo shows it quite well.

While first impressions would suggest it could have been sharper, considering the low light conditions, what you did capture was actually quite an achievement.

The technique you used was to 'track' the subject during the shot, effectively keeping the roo in the centre of your picture for all the time the shutter was open. This meant that the movement of the roo was minimal - as far as your camera capturing the image was concerned - so you were able to get a recognisable picture.

The reason why your action is so obvious, is that while the roo was relatively 'still' during the exposure, the background was whizzing past ... and you can see it streaking across the frame.  This is the result often desired by photographers where racing or other speed related events are involved - since it gives a clear picture of the subject of interest, such as a racing car, but maintains the impression of 'speed' by the background streaking past.

The sharpness of the roo could have been improved by using the widest aperture available which will mean a higher shutter speed will be required for correct exposure. This would have reduced motion blur of everything in the frame, but considering the poor lighting, the background would quite likely still have quite noticeable 'streaking' whereas the roo would have been noticeably sharper. Opening up the lens one more 'stop' (going from f4 to f2.8) would have allowed a shutter speed of 1/60th and given a much better result. Two more stops (going to f2) would have allowed a shutter speed of 1/125th and you would have been quite thrilled about that result, I am sure.  The lens you have fitted will determine whether these apertures are available or not.  

With wider apertures, depth-of-field is reduced, but this would not have been a big problem if you were able to focus on the roo - since this was the only subject of any interest.  It could actually add a little to the impression of 'speed' by making the background a little more blurry.

The other alternative would be to increase the ISO value. In the film days, the ISO number is an indication of the sensitivity of the film emulsion. A film with an ISO of 200 only requires half as much light to be properly exposed as a film with an ISO rating of 100. An ISO 400 film only requires half the light needed for an ISO 200 film or a quarter of the light that an ISO 100 film requires for a proper exposure. You will notice the progression here - 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, etc.  This mechanism has been transferred into the digital camera world quite effectively because the functions and limitations of both the film and electronic versions are almost identical.

The specs for your camera show it can go up to ISO 1600 - so you could have gained one extra stop by just changing that setting, but it also has something Nikon calls "Hi 1" which is equivalent to ISO 3200, apparently. This could have given you two stops without changing aperture, allowing a 1/125th second exposure time. If you used "Hi 1" AND could get two more stops wider aperture, you could have taken the shot at 1/500th - and the roo would have been frozen in mid air with the background just out of focus and not showing any signs of 'speed' as such.

But for an 'opportunity' shot like this - where you don't have time to get set up - you can be proud of the result.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #339 on: July 09, 2010, 02:07:50 AM »
Technical spot: ISO numbers - functions and limitations

As mentioned above, ISO numbers in photography relate to the 'sensitivity' of the medium that physically captures the image.

With the old style film, this was a measure of the sensitivity of the chemical emulsion to light. The more sensitive the emulsion, the less light it needs for proper exposure - and the higher the ISO number.

Due to the chemistry involved, those emulsions with higher speed ratings ended up not being able to capture as much detail and ended up having a 'grainy' appearance - looking as though the image was made up of grains of sand. The higher the speed rating (ISO number) the worse this was.  Also, the larger a picture was 'blown up' the more apparent this grainy appearance became - so for a very high speed film with a big enlargement, the result did, indeed, look like a sand painting.

In the digital domain, however, the image sensor does not vary like this. It is what it is. However, a digital sensor still requires a certain number of photons for it to be pretty definite about the colour and brightness and so on of each and every pixel. That requires a certain amount of light - and to put a reference point on it, the same basic tests used to rate film emulsions are applied to digital cameras, which results in the ISO ratings which photographers are familiar with.

Now, if we halve the amount of light that gets to the sensor (by only allowing it half the time to collect it), we can compensate by multiplying the digital output of each pixel by 2 (one of the tricks you can do easily with digital electronics!) This gives us the same range of values as for our original setting, but a little less precise. Doing this one step allows you 'pretend' your ISO rating is now twice what it was ... and you can shoot accordingly.

We can keep on doing this - halving the amount of light and doubling the digital output - to increase our ISO ratings ... but we are getting less and less precise.  As precision decreases, the effect called 'noise' increases. (I can explain how this works if anyone is interested - but just knowing it exists is enough for taking pictures)

When you look at a digital image with 'noise' the result is very similar to the film emulsion effect of 'grain'... and these both follow the increase in ISO speed ratings in the same way. As a result, 'film' photographers can shift into the digital arena and bring their understanding of ISO speed rating functions and limitations right along with them.

Coinfucious888

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #340 on: July 11, 2010, 02:34:07 PM »
Excellent posts brums.......well explained and full of tips, even a novice will be able to follow them without any major dramas. You should now follow it up with digital "noise"..... ;D

Fast moving subjects are hard to capture and the photo of the roo is good for a first time effort. Like all things in life, practice makes perfect, so go out and take more shots.

For fast moving subjects e.g. sports etc....I use:

a)  Nikon 85mm F:1.4 lens
b)  ISO 600
c)  Shutter speed 1/125

Cheers

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #341 on: July 12, 2010, 02:23:38 PM »
nice pics Da.

You need in my opinion need to look at a hotshoe flash you can buy good ones for under $100 with a usable range of over 30 meters (can always turn down, bounce, or use diffuser from $10 )

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32980

I find sayno enloops the best rechargable batteries for flashes

If you look at cat you can see built in flash fadding quickly after a few meters. A hotshoe would take that out to 30 meters if you wanted and increase depth of field noticeable in cat tail.

Similarly the Roo motion would be frozen if subject within 30 meters with 28mm lens would be

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #342 on: July 12, 2010, 02:28:07 PM »
I've got that flash Shyer & it does a great job on my Canon DSLR. The diffuser I got from you works very well with it.

I've never heard of sayno enloops batteries, where could I get them?

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #343 on: July 12, 2010, 02:49:11 PM »
Hi ubbie,

Try here, often in big w or k mart and no post.

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod5384.htm

The real advantage is shelf life some ni MHD can lose ALL charge within 6 weeks. Flash use I find irregular for most amatures. Flat battereis a lost oportunity.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #344 on: July 12, 2010, 02:59:05 PM »
Thanks Shyer.

I see the batteries come with a charger, good value considering they hold a charge much longer than the standard re-chargeables. I have found that standard rechargeables go flat after a few weeks just sitting in a cupboard, especially the cheap Asian ones .

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #345 on: July 12, 2010, 03:35:53 PM »
Shyer. One more question about the batteries. will a normal charger (Ni-MH) charge these batteries? I found the batteries without a charger on Ebay.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #346 on: July 12, 2010, 04:07:17 PM »
nice pics Da.

Similarly the Roo motion would be frozen if subject within 30 meters with 28mm lens would be

That picture was completely opportunistic - there was no way it could be set up and therefore no time for flashes or changing settings - that was a point and shot - as the settings were - not given a choice, it was all over in perhaps 10-30 seconds at the most.

I took a series of shots  - that was the clearest

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #347 on: July 12, 2010, 04:13:18 PM »
I know sweet Fanny Adams about photography Wokkie , but if it did interest me I reckon I would like to take shots like that one of your Roo .... spontaneous shots always look better , more interesting and natural to me than a contrieved set up .... even portraits/family shots etc , not a big fan of the 'ol smile for the camera stuff .... snap 'em when they least expect it for the more memorable piccies  IMO 

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #348 on: July 12, 2010, 04:21:52 PM »
ubbie,

No not properly I have used other chargers to top up eneloops but always checked temp and multimeter voltage every 30 mins not a set and forget. All other chargers will, if not monitored overcook eneloops

I have two eneloop chargers and some 16 batteries. Buy one charger at least  needed to get the 1000 recharges .

This ebay item looks OK 110557639360 the next OK is this 270605870519 there are LOTS of FAKES on ebay . You will pay $30 for 4 AA and charger at big W ect. and no post. deal extreme link I displayed earlier is HONEST china seller and they are $30 with charger and 4 AAs and $15 for 4 extra AAs.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #349 on: July 12, 2010, 04:29:50 PM »
Thanks Shyer. I'll have a look in Big W & KMart etc. I won't rush in.