Author Topic: Twitter Links in eBay listings?  (Read 13233 times)

matildasplace

Twitter Links in eBay listings?
« on: May 11, 2009, 06:29:23 PM »
Just wondering if someone can answer this for, Col maybe? I did post it on the eBay boards about a week ago but I don't think anyone has replied.

I know we have to be very careful with links we add in our ebay listings and am wondering if it is ok to have a link to our twitter?

I was thinking of having something like Click here to follow us and our new listings on twitter.

Obviously I don't sell anything on twitter, I use it to keep my customers updated about new product lines and new stoke BUT there is a link on there to our website and we also alert customers when items have been added to the website.

Would ebay poo poo this?

imperfect

Re: Twitter Links in eBay listings?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 06:50:39 PM »
Hi Tilly, I would say yes.

The only place I have been able to add a link without getting a slap was on my "me" page under "my fave' links" even a link on my me page it's self was pulled..

Numb!

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 06:57:59 PM »
I would imagine that would be shot down rather quickly.  The explicity ban any form of chat or on-line support links or services.

Beyond that, don't ask my opinon of Twitter in general.   :chainsaw:   :devil:

matildasplace

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 07:12:35 PM »
Thank you Imp and Numb.

Bit silly isn't it, I mean all it would be doing is possible driving people to buy more on ebay, I guess I can't even do it if the there was no mention of my website?

Numb, when I first started on twitter I didn't get the point of it, though the whole thing was completely futile, but I gave it a shot and am amaze at the masses of traffic I receive to both the website and ebay from twitter, so I guess it can be a great tool for businesses.

I actually picked up a larger wholesale customer from Holland who found me on Twitter.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 07:13:54 PM »
Tilly, I think eBay would class a 'Follow me' button the same as as 'check out my website' message in a listing.

Did you know there is a new auction/sales site that uses twitter to advertise listings? http://www.tweba.com/
Not sure how successful it will be.

Maybe you can include a 'Follow me' button or link in your Invoices or packaging. Is the button prominent on your website? Customers need to know they are going to be getting sales info (product/listing updates or even a message to say that your latest newsletter is now available on your website). Some people will 'follow' a business, then complain that they keep getting business related tweets instead of personal updates!

Twitter is growing in popularity and it is an easy, free way to keep in touch with your customers.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 07:16:30 PM »
I don't use twitter for social networking. I'm one of the boring types who uses it to keep up to date with news, traffic updates, sports results, business news etc. I do also follow a few famous and infamous twitterers (?)

matildasplace

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 07:27:57 PM »
Imp, sorry I forgot to ask before, how come your web link was pulled from your web page? I thought that was 100% ok with ebay? I have one on mine.

Wheels, I don't actually have a follow me button on my website, I just have a link in my email signature letting people know to follow us if they would like to receive updates on our listings. Is it not ok to have business tweets? I still don't have a great understanding of twitter so have no idea if I am maybe breaking any rules by doing this.

I have never heard of tweba, thanks for that! I will check it out now.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 07:32:20 PM »
Tilly, what I meant was some people 'follow' a business and then are surprised that they are receiving sales blurbs!

I think it's great to do business tweets, that's why I follow several businesses. They use Twitter to give early announcements of sales, promotions, new products etc. And some businesses also have sales open only to their Twitter followers.

imperfect

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 07:43:11 PM »
Apparently a direct link or the words "check out my web site" is not allowed, I had a link on my listings ages ago and ebay pulled all my listings, I moved it to my "me" page under my faves and it is okay there,  although I got slapped for having the words "check out my web site" and the URL on the main 'me" page.

I got slapped right after discussing it on here, so I would say I was reported..never the less I broke a rule, the point is that eBay may not be aware of your link until someone reports it..

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 07:46:15 PM »
Imp  :D :D , I love your new 'motto'

Numb!

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 08:00:15 PM »

Numb!

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 08:01:33 PM »
I got slapped right after discussing it on here, so I would say I was reported..

On here? OZRT?

matildasplace

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 08:12:50 PM »
Sorry to hear that imp  :(

From memory Col went through a similar thing but I am pretty sure he ended up winning and was allowed to keep the link on his me page.

col52

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 09:42:14 PM »
I think such a link would be dodgy, Tilly. No doubt someone would report it.

You're correct in saying "From memory Col went through a similar thing but I am pretty sure he ended up winning and was allowed to keep the link on his me page."

I went through weeks of hell after being reported by "you know who".
ebay were insistant that I was not allowed a link to my website on the "me" page.................even when I directed them to their own policy that said I could!

Finally, as part of some other "stuff" going on, I reported ebay to Fair Trading for breaching their own policy. That sure as hell got a speedy response from ebay! (along with a telephone message of apology, backed up with an e-mail of apology). I was asked to forward e-mails to this person where I was told to remove the link and was told "they would be dealt with".

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 02:08:10 PM »
Imp, have you had any further feedback from eBay about sellers having "Visit my website link" on their ME page?

I just followed the links to the latest "The Big Deal" and the Titanium Powerseller has not one, but five links to "Visit our fantastic website".

imperfect

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 05:09:06 PM »
Hi wheels, no nothing more from ebay..surprise, surprise!

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »
There is an interesting response to a blog on AuctionBytes about sellers using social networking sites Facebook, Twitter and MySpace to boost sales. Small sellers have reported significant increases in traffic and sales after using the networking sites to market their eBay listings and websites.

http://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2009/5/1242517974.html