Author Topic: DISPUTE LODGEMENT TIME has been SHORTENED on eBay  (Read 10924 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
DISPUTE LODGEMENT TIME has been SHORTENED on eBay
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:25:54 AM »
I haven't received any notification about this from eBay. This comes from BNWT's links about latest news concerning eBay and PayPal. (Thank you, BNWT.)

The information is here:

eBay has changed the deadlines for sellers to lodge complaints about items that haven’t been paid for, a move which might help reduce friction when it comes to deadbeat bidders.

The changes include reducing the minimum time period for lodging a dispute after closing a sale from 7 days to 4 and halving the dispute resolution period to 30 days. The one change which makes it harder to lodge a dispute is reducing the time allowed after a sale for a dispute to be opened from 45 days to 32 days — but in practice, that still seems a reasonable amount of time.

Link is here.

This is ridiculous. I believe the 45 day dispute period is too short already - shortening it to 32 days is outrageous.

This will leave a lot of buyers who buy from overseas sellers in the right royal poo.

Wonderful timing, too, don't you think? Royal Mail in the UK is on strike; parcels are already being delayed; ... words fail me.

EDIT: Subsequent reading of the announcement which has now been posted on eBay reveals that the shortening of the dispute period does not affect INR and SNAD disputes initiated by buyers; it refers only to the period during which sellers can open a dispute for unpaid items.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

misha

• Membermn
  • Knight of the RT
  • NO CONFIDENCE
Re: DISPUTE LODGEMENT TIME has been SHORTENED on eBay
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 01:32:44 PM »
eBay has changed the deadlines for sellers to lodge complaints about items that haven’t been paid for, a move which might help reduce friction when it comes to deadbeat bidders.

The changes include reducing the minimum time period for lodging a dispute after closing a sale from 7 days to 4 and halving the dispute resolution period to 30 days. The one change which makes it harder to lodge a dispute is reducing the time allowed after a sale for a dispute to be opened from 45 days to 32 days — but in practice, that still seems a reasonable amount of time.

Does it affect buyers?
pobox486cronulla@hotmail.com    I have NO HERO'S or IDOLS.  I will question everything and anyone having faith only in myself.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 01:50:14 PM »
Does it affect buyers?

only the non payers or slow payers

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 01:52:27 PM »
Yes, it affects buyers. "The one change which makes it harder to lodge a dispute is reducing the time allowed after a sale for a dispute to be opened from 45 days to 32 days [...]"

Buyers now have only 32 days to open a dispute for non-arrived items or items that are not as described.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 02:12:06 PM »
Yes you are right Countess but my comment reffered to this bit

The changes include reducing the minimum time period for lodging a dispute after closing a sale from 7 days to 4

Just a question though ... why would you need longer than 32 days from sale to lodge a dispute ... If I bought something and it didnt turn up within 30 days I would lodge a dispute !!! Overseas transactions maybe you need longer ? but there is nothing to stop you lodging a dispute at day 32 for example and then withdrawing it should the item turn up ?
let me put it this way ... how many items to you purchase that arrive between days 32 and 45 ????? I would suggest not many ... so therefore it wouldnt have a great effect on buyers ..... But willing to be stood corrected ...

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 02:18:02 PM »
Smee, yes, unfortunately I've had quite a few transactions in which the items hadn't arrived by the 32nd day. (In fact, some of them don't arrive for 2 months. This is true for about 1/3 of my purchases from Germany. Some sellers use something called "Gelbe Briefpost" if I recall correctly. It can take ages, even though it's by airmail...)

When I first started buying on eBay, there was a 60-day period for lodging disputes. That was much more appropriate for a "global" venue situation. Then it was cut down to 45 days. I don't like opening disputes, and I usually leave it until the last moment to do so - but I feel so unfair in opening a dispute when there is every chance the item will turn up within, perhaps, 10 to 20 days' time.

I'm unhappy about this change.  :deadhorse: :warrior: :goth: :throwpc: :brick: :tanty: :vent: :drama: :brickhit: :girlfight: :nhj: :2guns:

misha

• Membermn
  • Knight of the RT
  • NO CONFIDENCE
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 04:20:21 PM »
Just to clarify.. My view tends to be of the 'buyer', as thats 100% of my activity on the auction sites. [except the forums that are now 0%]

There is obviously more than one policy change here that I don't fully understand. What I'd like to know is eBays justification rationalisation for the change. Whats their rhetoric this time?
It it just decreasing the amount of active disputes admin is dealing with, given they must be rolling in every day. This being a way of them disappearing off the books quicker.  kwim? 

One thing that surprised me was the difference in eBay and PayPal time limits for filing a dispute.
At the time it was 60days and 45days. I learned that from 1 bad experience.

Yes... I've had item sent [by seller error and my request] via 'surface mail'.
It can take what seems like forever to get here. We do get disruptions to services beyond the control of sellers too, that can take delivery time well past those time limits defined by eBay and paypal.
Add Canada to the list of both very expensive and slow sometimes.

What stung me once was a seller slow to post via a slow method that I reckon was calculated to avoid the dispute resolution process. Comes down to knowing the way it all works and adapting to the environment... like putting in a dispute report to extend the deadline for resolution process. If all turn as out A-OK you withdraw complaint and there is no negative for either party.. and if not you have 'bought some time' to settle the matter.
pobox486cronulla@hotmail.com    I have NO HERO'S or IDOLS.  I will question everything and anyone having faith only in myself.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 05:47:21 PM »
With immediate effect, eBay is changing the Unpaid Item dispute process to make it quicker and more efficient for sellers.

Hi guys, still trying to catch up on sooooo many unread threads.

Don't you love that eBay can introduce a change like this with immediate effect, I would imagine many disputes in international transactions would take longer than 30 days.

More info in the AU announcements:

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/au/200910231209592.html

http://pages2.ebay.com.au/InsideSelling/Unpaid_Items_Process/

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 06:12:49 PM »
Hang on... have I misunderstood? I DID.

I understood the 45 day dispute period being shortened to 32 days to refer to a buyer being able to open a dispute. After reading the announcement rather than the article to which BNWT linked, I realise I drew the wrong conclusion.

The shortening of the dispute period refers to the period for sellers in which to open an UNPAID ITEM DISPUTE. It doesn't affect the Item Not Received or Significantly Not As Described dispute process.

I'll leave my misunderstanding here in full view to keep me 'umble.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 06:28:53 PM »
Do I need to read the above posts first before I post a..

:spam: post?
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 06:31:25 PM »
You should always read before posting. Otherwise you may find you've just posted on a thread whose posts asked you to sell your soul to the bad-taste devil, with your post signifying your agreement - and you'd forever find yourself wearing polyester, flannel, an apron and plastic sandals.

Returning to topic now...

:topic:

misha

• Membermn
  • Knight of the RT
  • NO CONFIDENCE
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 06:37:39 PM »

Don't you love that eBay can introduce a change like this with immediate effect, I would imagine many disputes in international transactions would take longer than 30 days.

Is the policy change being applied retrospectively?  ie. Affecting people that have already bid, 'won', paid or not paid, shipped, BUT yet to receive their goods, effectively cutting off options of remedy to launch a dispute due to time limit?

That would be nasty.