Author Topic: excess handling fees  (Read 13261 times)

Bunny

excess handling fees
« on: August 04, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »
how much is far handling fees?

recent encounter with a seller who sold 5 items in one transaction total sale between $7-$8, items shipped in one aus post prepaid bag 3kg cost  $9.60, wrapped in one sheet of bubble wrap and sticky tape.
charged $9.60 plus $20 handling ($4 each item)
referred to ebay for comment
and
you guessed it

they say in essence
we dont care sort it out yourself.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Re: excess handling fees
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:35:41 PM »
how much is far handling fees?

recent encounter with a seller who sold 5 items in one transaction total sale between $7-$8, items shipped in one aus post prepaid bag 3kg cost  $9.60, wrapped in one sheet of bubble wrap and sticky tape.
charged $9.60 plus $20 handling ($4 each item)
referred to ebay for comment
and
you guessed it

they say in essence
we dont care sort it out yourself.

You must remember Bunny Ebay says it's just a venue.. LOL......Yeh right when it suits them !....any other time they think they are a little tin god !...

cueperkins

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 12:54:39 PM »
Hi Bunny.....Any time I bid now.....I email ahead and find out exactly to the letter what postage will be and any combined postage cost If I bid on more than one item.  I emailed one seller the other night...as her postage was quoted as platimum which is the highest rate known to mankind..... I got this tirade of how dare you's etc.....and all ebay's fault re: postage calculator, and a gob full of justification and she finished by saying it would be five dollars more than her listing quote....within the same State?  I doubt it.....lmao....I didn't bid...any guesses as to why?...

I buy from a few jewellery sellers on the other hand whom I know combine postage in the same bag and don't charge extra...I buy a lot from them and they inspire me to bid more....that's the difference between a professional seller who wants customers to return time and time again, and a  fly by nighter intent on ripping off every customer with excessive postage.   Pays to email ahead of time and pin the seller down on postage...if not, don't bid on their items...that will soon sort out the men from the boys.

For now, all you can do is leave neg feedback.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:16:21 PM »
I always include the total postage cost charged to me in the "How much is this item" file in my head when I look at this sort of thing. I agree, a total of $20 handling is too much when considered in isolation. I suppose I wouldn't worry about it if the total price were good - as long as the goods are as advertised (not a cheap imitation, for instance) and as long as it's not a 99 cent item with the seller being international and trying the stunt of "Postage cost not refundable" if there's a problem.

But yes... I know. eBay make it possible for sellers to charge what they want when it comes to handling charges, while on the other hand making it impossible in some cases for sellers to recoup the actual postage charge. (Did you know that UK sellers can't charge ANY shipping cost for some items? It's automatically FREE SHIPPING - which is ridiculous, of course.)
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 04:28:39 PM »
In my opinion...

The reason that sellers continue to "overcharge" for postage and handling, is that the strategy works. The sellers do make the sales and therefore make profits.

*I* prefer not to buy from these people, but many do. And until all buyers refuse to be lured by this selling method, it will continue...

And I guess I support the view of "total cost" is all that matters...

:wine:
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

currymuncher

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 04:51:53 PM »
my post and packaging fee's are up front in the listing ,I don't charge handling fee's ,just the cost of stamps and packaging materials .it is the sellers duty to pay for petrol to go to the post office not the buyer's.,also don't charge to place the item in the packaging .

Bazza

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 10:12:19 PM »
Hi currymuncher. Not sure why you don't feel you shouldn't charge your buyers the actual cost of getting the item to them. A reasonable handling cost when added to the payment received, in effect offsets some of the fees you are 'required' to pay for the transaction. Do you do it to protect your DSR's? If so you are falling into a false economy trap.

currymuncher

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 07:44:13 AM »
bazza,DSR's mean nothing to me ,they are quite often false ,I remember one buyer marking my postage time down ,even though the item was posted the same day as payment made ,feedback was left for me 2 days after posting saying that they are happy with dress,but post should have been quicker
I normally go to the p.o everyday ( not always to post online items ) so I don't worry about charging handling for that ;D

bobbybigbear

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 08:14:40 AM »
Once upon a time, we had simple business procedures, that is until the banks changed all of that. We went to the bank, put our money in, and got interest. No other transaction fee's, and only very small fee's for out of the ordinary transactions, like sending money oversea's or travellers cheques.  Banks decided that each transaction had to have a profit level on it, and now if you break wind at the tellers window, they want a fee added.
The god called profit has now forced it's way into every part of the business world, and there are those buyers who have unrealistic expectations, and sellers who feel it's their right to charge a large wad of money to go to the post office.

The cost of doing business was always factored into your profit, but not these days. Sellers wonder why every second day there are threads on postage rip offs, and it's simply because buyers still expect to pay the price for the item but not have added extras like $20 P & H when they know the real cost is less than half of that.  I think sometimes, there is more ego about sellers being able to tell the world they have a business, than actually thinking about the common sense of selling. Three words will ensure repeat business " Postage at cost "

Bazza

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 07:42:34 PM »
Hello CM. I suppose if you don't need to charge for handling and you can absorb the cost, then it might work in your favour. Most buyers have come to expect a reasonable handling fee. I suppose what I'm suggesting is that, if you are not concerned about your DSR's, then why not cover some of the fees you pay on the transaction. As you pointed out, DSR's are a false indicator and are open to abuse, so why not make it just that little bit more worthwhile. Just a thought :)

ernest_price

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 09:12:58 PM »
Well I just had an Amazon book order come through. My youngest ordered it as the books were US$1 and US$2 each. She totally missed the US$35.00 postage charge.  Actual postage was US$9.04. Nasty!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 09:31:45 PM »
Yes, Amazon have set prices for shipping, which can be very nasty... It's especially expensive buying from Amazon.de, and Amazon.fr is no handout either. If you plan your purchases well, though, you can spread the postage cost over the entire order to make it more worthwhile.

I increasingly find that US sellers on eBay have enormous postage costs for books to Australia.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 10:36:23 PM »
Countess. I wonder why US postage varies so much. Today I won an archery item from a US seller & post was US$8.00. I have seen post cost for the same or similar items as high as US$36.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 11:58:05 PM »
Ubbrd, I've no idea why...

A friend of mine in the US (California) regularly sends things on to me, but he uses Fedex and it's EXPENSIVE! I actually tried to use another address for the last item because I didn't want to keep imposing on my friend, but he's truly a lovely guy and keeps telling me to impose all I want. The last item cost a fortune to send - I have got to say, "Not Fedex! Please, not Fedex!" next time.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 12:09:50 AM »
Yep Countess Fedex is expensive. I got two fly fishing rods from the USA a while back & they had to come by Fedex as the package was over 42", too long for Aust Post. It was still a good buy though.
I also bought a tree stand (hunting) from another seller a few years ago. I asked the seller if he could send it by sea & he did. the cost was only about US$40 and the total price was much less than it would cost here.